Sign in to follow this  
mon_diesle

Would it be feasable to eventually add unlimited grass?

pretty sure ur talking about the 'sap clutter' mod. search for that in armaholic. wasnt aware of it making the grass go further distance tho. it just reduced the amount to help with frame rate etc

no i don't think it is the one I'm looking for. I found this quote on google:

- Makes the clutter visible a bit farther, reduces the density a little too to compensate for performance (opt)

from here: http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:5pYy43Uup_IJ:alphasquad.ro/forums/index.php/topic,2858.0.html+arma+2+grass+farther&cd=7&hl=fr&ct=clnk&gl=ca&client=firefox-a

so maybe there is hope ?

The problem with rendering grass through a scope is all the land between you and the place you're scoping. If you're on flat ground, how do you keep performance acceptable with 10000 square meters of grass rendered on the screen? On the other hand, any compromise just looks silly and is unfair, except for removing clutter altogether which is a common convention in the pvp scene.

Defunkt found it!

So the guy who made the mod says he tweaked the grass rendering distance, so there is definitively a way to change it. Maybe someone who has experience with mods could have a chat with him to see if we can render the grass even farther?

I know about the performance hit, but that's not the point right now. If we can play with the rendering distance, we can then try different ideas as to how to make it appear in a cone in front of you only for example (for when we zoom in ).

6000 feet is not neccesary, however something like 500m rather than the current 50 or so would be great.

so what is that mod like ? how much further is the draw distance and does the grass look considerably worse ?

Its not rocket science.

Every terrain config should have:

clutterGrid = 1.0;
clutterDist = 125;

This is from Chenarus, which means theres one clutter object every 1m (roughly) and the clutter will render out to 125m from the player.

You can boost the second entry (clutterDist) up to 10000 if you wanted, but prepare to kiss your FPS goodbye.

Will try out increasing the clutter distance on Duala and will post FPS results with default, 100 and 250 meters.

125? Really? It seems to disappear after ~40-50m... Maybe it decays over distance from full clutter at short ranges to nothing at 15m, so past ~40-50m it's so small it's invisible?

By raising clutterDist you can only get very small pieces of grass 50m further than default (150m->200m @ max terrain detail) at a horrendous performance cost and crashes. It's really not worth it.

sorry to bump this tread. I know about the addon request tread, but my question is pretty relevant here.

I am almost 99% confident that I found a mod somewhere that said in the description that they were reducing the quality of the grass while making it draw further away. The problem is I didn't download it at that moment and now i can't find it :( .Does anyone know which mod I'm talking about? That would please me a lot and everyone who contributed to this tread too.

I tested it and it didn't improve the draw distance at all as far as I could tell. And it made the grass look worse. No offensive to the modder that made it, just not what I was expecting. Also had a hard time finding it (had the same as you), and forgot the name again. But when I'm home I can try to find it for you (if I still have the files).