Sign in to follow this  
Optimum Prime

5.56 x 45 mm and 12,7 x 99 mm

its little bit weird....

if i hit someone with a 5.56mm or a 12.7mm bullet... the impact is allways the same?!?

why they dont change this... i want more reality ;D

is there a mod for this?

I think you need to do some more testing... There's definitely a difference in damage.

Not to say that the game's damage system is great, not at all, but more powerful rounds definitely kill people better when they hit them, as it should.

The difference in damage is especially apparent at longer ranges. Those 5.56mm bullets really don't keep their energy. But, I believe TOP was talking about impact effects.

well I dunno about BIS working on it, but OpticalSnare's effects will probably fix that for you. That or just wait for ACE2 to come out (don't ask them when though). BIS is dealing with performance bugs and the likes right now to worry about small cosmetic issues like the amount of dust kicking up from a bullet impact.

On top of that, I swear to god silenced M4 rounds disappear in flight. I was lying on my stomach 20 Yards from a standing Russian with a CCO red dot sight. I put the dot right between his shoulder blades and fired SIX TIMES, slowly. None of them made so much as a plink or a dent in the wall two feet behind him. After the sixth shot he continued to stare blankly for three seconds, then fell over.

This seems to happen every time I use this gun. Do they take a round, and ignore that they've been shot and I just have to whittle down their hitpoints HALO style? The same goes for pistols and MP5s, thought I expect those to be inaccurate.

I wonder why VSS Vintorez is as powerful as a .50 cal. One shot kill every time, and just look at the hole it leaves in walls. :confused:

Try that at the same range as the .50 if you really want to compare though. .50 cal is definitely stronger at equal range.

Try that at the same range as the .50 if you really want to compare though. .50 cal is definitely stronger at equal range.

I don't see much difference. The damage dealt to a human is equal (7-8!!! Assault rifle is 0.8-1.8 IIRC) when looking at the info given by the "HandleDamage" eventhandler. Only the penetration value is smaller (nonexistant).

I wonder why VSS Vintorez is as powerful as a .50 cal. One shot kill every time, and just look at the hole it leaves in walls. :confused:

In ArmA 2, 7.62 NATO kills in one shot every time. The Vintorez is probably modelled that way because it fires a bullet double the weight of a 7.62x39mm. The bullet it fires is huge.

BIS values for ammo are not perfect, as well as for weapon ranges and etc.

for example (not talking about ammo) in this game AKS74U is better than G36, M4 etc.

G36 has max range 400, M4 has 300 while AKS74U has 600 (it means AI can open fire to you from such distance, AI with AKSU may shoot dead AI with G36 before AI with G36 will be able to open fire, nonsense)

since OFP BIS repeats such errors :/

it is total nonsense, but it is this way in default BIS configs , thats why people make mods and addons to fix some issues

also penetration effect not exist since OFP

concerning power of hit, as i remember hit of 0.5 is 26 while other rifle bullets 8-10

other issue BIS made with 20-30 mm bullets, the same bullet but used by plane is stronger

it makes Vulcan gun bullets stronger than Bradley/LAV bullets

while in real they are the same

but BIS wanted jets to be more effective in destroying land targets

concerning topic - please test power and compare at 500, 1000 meters , you will notice difference in power

Edited by vilas

I don't see much difference. The damage dealt to a human is equal (7-8!!! Assault rifle is 0.8-1.8 IIRC) when looking at the info given by the "HandleDamage" eventhandler. Only the penetration value is smaller (nonexistant).

That is because the 9x39 that the AS family uses has a quite high stopping power within it's rather limited range envelope.

Think of a pistol calibre round coupled with a larger cartridge.

The result is a subsonic heavy hitter with limited range - hence the large damage value in the config.

That's the theory anyway.

i really fought for this in another game, in A2 i really like how the m107 performs. it will take the wheel off a jeep with one shot, when shooting AI there is no visual difference axcept that they die even if hit in the leg.

it seems well balanced to me so far this game. unlike one i played where the M82 had less effect than the m9 pistol.

That is because the 9x39 that the AS family uses has a quite high stopping power within it's rather limited range envelope.

Think of a pistol calibre round coupled with a larger cartridge.

The result is a subsonic heavy hitter with limited range - hence the large damage value in the config.

That's the theory anyway.

The 9x39 bullet is double the weight of the 9x19 bullet. They are 250gr and between 115 and 140 gr, respectively.

the hit detection is terrible, but not the main issue ATM.

other issue BIS made with 20-30 mm bullets, the same bullet but used by plane is stronger

it makes Vulcan gun bullets stronger than Bradley/LAV bullets

while in real they are the same

but BIS wanted jets to be more effective in destroying land targets

irl they are not the same weapons lav and bradleys run a 25mm bushmaster chain gun not a 20mm vulcan or 30mm gau

the 20mm will have a rof advantage and 30 is just raw firepower