Sign in to follow this  
Draper

Air Support Scripts

Haven't read the entire thread, but does this script support laser targets? Would be nice if the players can use a radiocommand to execute the script, and have a plane drop a GBU-12 on the target that the players illuminate.

EDIT: re-read the first post and see that it does support laser targets.

Good work, thank you.

Sorry, that I understood nothing:) But love Air Support you have made, would only have a single file that MP had worked on? :yay:

I think I got it, had it go through a setposASL from sea level and have a check if the ASpad was undernaerth water to set it back to zero. Longer to explain then send an update. See if this works. Still had it goof once with ACE 2 but regular ArmA seemed to work on and off land at any distance.

Hotfix 1

Hi Draper,

No luck. Same issues even on land! :k:

Placing ASpad near the shore with a direction to go into inland I can see that the planes are flying towards the center of the island, but soon after they turn around and there they go gain... flying in circles like dumb flies again... :banghead:

I'm not ready to give up yet! :soldier:

Any other suggestions/ideas?

Thanks Draper!

Best, Splicer.

I've been thinking about this problem and I may have a solution. :icon_idea:

After the user selects a target site by clicking on the map, would it make sense to make the script create several waypoints between ASpad and the target site and have the planes use those to actually fly and reach the target site?

This may solve the problem of ArmA2's engine going crazy when trying to calculate the planes' path to the target site.

What do you think? :D

Best, Splicer.

Darn, I really thought I had it there, it works for me anyway.

As for having multiple waypoints that may work, but I would think it doubtful. I haven't noticed a correlation between the distance to target and the "buzzing fly anomaly", (i.e. a target 1000 meters it flys but at 2000 meters it doesn't)

You could try it of course, I would suggest you do a midpoint (or even a tripoint) calculation of the ASpad and target, to get the position for intermediary waypoints.

Hey Draper, so far so good for me with this package. I've been updating a mission I was doing to use the new set of support. However, I *may* have found a small bug. It seems the number of support requests available is off by one. For example: I had "ASnumHEL = 1;" so that I could only call helos once. When activated I could not call that asset. Strange, I thought. So I changed the number to 2...but then I could only call it once. So it seems that it is off. Not a big deal, just confused me for awhile :p

I've seen airSupInit but can not find what you write about? Help if you are friendly:) Is there someone who maybe could send me the file with the script to desusa9@hotmail.com ? :j:

Hi, for some reason whenever I call in the Fixed wing, I get a message saying it was shot down in a couple seconds.

Also, is there anyway to speed up the time it takes for the aircraft to arrive?

EDIT: Just noticed the hotfix. I'm trying it out now.

Edited by orangeman

If the plane dies when it spawns the pilot isn't getting put inside the aircraft, I don't think in either release that was an issue, if there was an edit it is likely a syntax error.

If the plane dies when it spawns the pilot isn't getting put inside the aircraft, I don't think in either release that was an issue, if there was an edit it is likely a syntax error.

Ok, I just tried the hotfix and it worked perfectly. But is there anyway to make the time it takes to reach where you called it shorter? Kind of like the 1.0 release where they came after a fair amount of time.

I have no idea how these scripts work, I just use them :P

Edited by orangeman

Hi guys,

Well... I'm confused since even with the HotFix (1) I do experience the planes getting gunned down after a couple of seconds of being spawned, and (2) I also have the problem of the planes flying back and then in circles.

@ AnimalMother92 & orangeman:

Could you tell us where in the map you are placing the ASPad marker? Also, what height are you having the planes flying at?

Lastly, have either of you place the ASPad marker at sea? In some cases even when it's placed very close to the shore I still have the above problems. (?)

Thanks much in advance.

Best, Splicer.

@orangeman Just move the ASpad closer to the combat area, then the aircraft doesn't have as far to travel.

@Splicer Try to start fresh, delete the whole folder and put it in again.

Hi Draper,

Darn, I really thought I had it there, it works for me anyway.

Lucky you! I guess being the father of a script comes with its perks... :D

As for having multiple waypoints that may work, but I would think it doubtful. I haven't noticed a correlation between the distance to target and the "buzzing fly anomaly", (i.e. a target 1000 meters it flys but at 2000 meters it doesn't)

Hmmm.... Sounds like you already tried this. I want to corroborate that the problem persists even with several waypoints are used between 2 distant points (e.g., ASPad and selected target site).

If I place several a couple of waypoints and sww that the planes don't have a problem reaching (and attacking) the target site, this will suggest that the problem is with the ArmA2 engine where there is a long distance between ASPad and target site. Do you agree?

SUGGESTION: Would you consider including in the script some code to announce the ETA for the planes to reach the target site? :D

Thanks Draper. Look forward to hearing from you!

My best, Splicer.

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

Hi Draper,

@Splicer Try to start fresh, delete the whole folder and put it in again.

OK. I'll do that for good measure. :D

By the way, please note that HotFix1 does not come with the cvs file. I had to copy and use the original one.

I hope this is not the cause of the problem I'm having...

I'll let you know how that goes. :D

Thanks Draper!

Best, Splicer.

Edited by Splicer

Hi guys,

@ AnimalMother92 & orangeman:

Could you tell us where in the map you are placing the ASPad marker? Also, what height are you having the planes flying at?

Best, Splicer.

Well in the mission that I'm working on the ASpad is placed on the runway of the main Chernarus airport. My airsupport shows up without a hitch. I also run VFTCAS to help the pilots from crashing, not sure if that matters or not. This is with ACE as well.

@Draper,

Just a suggestion/idea:

Would it be possible to have a dialog for calling the support rather than the player saying: a sortie is on the way etc etc. For example:

player: HQ I need attack helo support ASAP

HQ: Roger Alpha, send coordinates

*clicks map*

HQ: coordinates received Alpha, Cobras inbound. ETA 3 minutes

..or something like that. Would seem more realistic/awesome imo. :yay:

And have the option for editing the dialog in the stringtable, so you could change names etc

Now I'm just nitpicking, but in the text now it says the helos are "in route" but it should be "en route" since it's a French phrase :p

Seriously though, this is one of my favorite support suites, it has so many amazing functions!

Edited by AnimalMother92

How exactly do I place the ASpad?

Do I just go to >empty>objects>H(invisible) and place it anywhere on the map? I did that but it still took the same amount of time. I'm assuming I have to change the init or something.

I'm new to this :P

EDIT: Ok, just found out I had to delete the old one and name it. Sorry for the unnecessary bump :(

Another question though. Is there any way to make it respawn vehicles if they die? If one of the helicopters die, and I try and call in another one the message that the choppers have returned immediately pops up.

Also, how do I add a gunner to the transport chopper?

Edited by orangeman

I also run VFTCAS to help the pilots from crashing, not sure if that matters or not.

Hi AnimalMother92,

Pardon my ignorance, but what is "VFTCAS"?

Just a suggestion/idea:

Would it be possible to have a dialog for calling the support rather than the player saying: a sortie is on the way etc etc. For example:

player: HQ I need attack helo support ASAP

HQ: Roger Alpha, send coordinates

*clicks map*

HQ: coordinates received Alpha, Cobras inbound. ETA 3 minutes

..or something like that. Would seem more realistic/awesome imo. :yay:

And have the option for editing the dialog in the stringtable, so you could change names etc

That would be SWEET! Please, please, pretty please? :pray:

Thanks! Best, Splicer.

ah sorry...

VFTCAS - Terrain Collision Avoidance System

"It simulates a primitive terrain scanning radar that just scans the terrain level ahead and adjusts the vertical lift of the chopper to maintain a minimum flightlevel of 35m (min height to avoid treetops)."

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8118

Basically it stops AI pilots from acting like idiots and crashing into mountains and trees. I find it especially useful for making sure that your helo CAS actually does its job and doesn't clip a tree branch while swooping in to deliver FFAR ;)

@Splicer Do you mean csv? Thats outdated, the .xml file replaces it. That would screw up the radio messages but not the fly buzzing problem. Could you send me the mission over PM and i'll take a look at it, would be easier to diagnose the problem that way. It would be a ARMA2 problem if more waypoints fixed the problem, but since I can get it to work at any distance I don't think that is the problem.

@AnimalMother92 Yeah dialog is doable. And I'll change the "i" to an "e", but you'll have to do that yourself before another version comes out, lol (BTW; Seattle is awsome, I live out at Shilshole :) )

@orangeman Ooo now thats a bug, I'll fix that. To add both gunners you'll have to use a createUnit for two men in the same group as the others and then use the moveInTurret to get the gunners in the helo.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/createUnit_array

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/createUnit_array

That should get you started, if you got problems paste the code you added nd i'll try and help.

sounds sweet. I change all the stringtable text anyways, so it's no big deal ;)

looking forward to more great updates.

Shilshole eh? cool, I actually live over in Redmond, I just say Seattle-area lol

ah sorry...

VFTCAS - Terrain Collision Avoidance System

"It simulates a primitive terrain scanning radar that just scans the terrain level ahead and adjusts the vertical lift of the chopper to maintain a minimum flightlevel of 35m (min height to avoid treetops)."

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8118

Basically it stops AI pilots from acting like idiots and crashing into mountains and trees. I find it especially useful for making sure that your helo CAS actually does its job and doesn't clip a tree branch while swooping in to deliver FFAR ;)

Hi AnimalMother92,

Very interesting... I wasn't aware of it. I'll dig more into that too.

THANKS!

Best, Splicer.

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

@Splicer Do you mean csv?

Hi Draper,

Yes, that's what I meant (finger mistake) :p

I'm confused now that you said it's outdated since it came with your version 1 script. :confused:

Let me try using your script on a brand-new mission without using other scripts.

I want to see if maybe that's the root of the problem (?)

Be back soon! :D

Best, Splicer.

I'm confused now that you said it's outdated since it came with your version 1 script.

The file type .csv is a retro to ARMA 1 and OFP, but ARMA 2 can still read it. However I made the switch to .xml and it has all new strings so in essence I made it outdated for the scripts from v1.1 to v1.2.

Let me try using your script on a brand-new mission without using other scripts.

If that does do the fix let me know which scripts were also running so I can investigate the global variable overlap.

If that does do the fix let me know which scripts were also running so I can investigate the global variable overlap.

The only one I'm using (so far) is UPSMON (a patrol course generator).

Thanks Draper! Splicer.

@Draper

I would like to get into that stringtable.xml... how would I read it? Or I want to use my own sideChat or titletext, can I just use version 1.1 .csv files instead?

The stringtable.xml can be read with just notepad. The .csv won't have some of the updated strings for some of the new options in v1.2.

You could just remove the " localize "STR_STRING" " stuff and add in text if you only want it for a particualr language.