Sign in to follow this  
smiley nick

What would you transport? (RAF Chinook)

Very cool models. I think its good to have icons on them. Cant wait for this mod, keep up the awesomeness ;)

Beautiful work on the repair pallet. As above, try making the wrench look like it's stenciled on. And maybe flip it vertically (go from V to A) too.

With the Fuel, have some flamable labels on closed barrels. Maybe something that looks like a fuel pump. Ammo would be metal ammo cans, wooden crates (for cannon shells), and polymer crates (see below) stacked up.

pelican.jpg

You'll want "open" versions like you have above, and netted versions when they're attached to the heli. As well, have the ability for it to pick up any vehicle (just in case people want to) but only worry about a single rope instead of making a custom setup.

Are you planning on releasing the initial Chinook once finished or wait for the full suite of functionality?

Thanks for the feedback Pathy, heres a few images of what they are looking like now. Next up will be netting them up, which should not be too difficult.

As for the SPIE rigging, i must admit that could be pretty awesome in game, but i will have to talk with Norrin about that, for now we are focusing on transportation of infantry correctly and cargo moment with these custom pallets and more universal objects for people to use.

In terms of user actions, how would people feel if we forced users to fly this helicopter with a copilot, the idea was to have the co pilot switch from the front cab to a door hatch to assist the pilot when connecting up objects from the under-slung action.

However i understand that not everyone might want to play this in MP so there is a possibility to revert all commands back to the pilot again. I just wanted to try and promote team-working within a helicopter for a change, and for players to act as a small crew!

Agian, noting jaw dropping, but these pallets should do the job and at the end of the day, the purpose of them is going to outweigh the visual looks.

ammod.jpg

Ammo pallet, designed for users to add in their own weapons and ammo via the int box or script. It will act as a large ammo create. Vehicles will also be able to rearm from this.

repair.jpg

Repair, damaged vehicles to repair from.

fuel.jpg

Refuel, vehicles to use

@gray1107

The chinook will be released with all its functions, but we are not very far away now. Norrin has been working on temp objects and scripts during this. :)

Edited by Smiley Nick

Would you be able to release a crew version and a sp version.. because the sounds of getting people to work together is a great idea... but its also nice to have an easy one man version..... Ps it pisses me off when you choose get in back and you end up in the cocpit. lookin forward to this release...

I like the idea of having to use a co-pilot. There's too many 'lone wolves' on MP as it is and encouraging people co-operate is a good thing.

For SP though, can you command the AI co-pilot to operate the winch directly (orders menu), or will it be a pre-requisite to have an AI unit sitting in the co-pilot seat before any winch commands can be issued by the human pilot (actionmenu)?

Really good work and development for vehicle crew - I'm all for it!

don't like this.. you kinda force people to be 2.. what if you playing a game of 9 were you want the huey to supply you armored tank platoon, thats it. One co-pilot get a mission were he have to sit and just roll his thumbs.

Cause you may say what you want, but i swear to god, 90% of skilled pilots in ofp/arma have no problem handling the workload of flying, navigating and keeping in contact with the rest of the players. Seriously.. who are we kidding?

Not saying a loadmaster isn't great, but needed, hell no.. forced, bad solution.

Mission designers can make that if needed..

what you can do is to think of a loadmaster with special actions. To load/unload and so on..but i think you need to think twice before you limit your addon by forcing people to use it a specific way..

Hmm. Well maybe make it so that the gunner can also perform these tasks - or that the co-pilot could be AI - it doesn't have to be someone to just sit in the co-pilots chair and just operate a winch every so often.

It just would be nice not to have one man operate everything - I'm sure pilots in game are capable of it, but it doesn't really happen that way in a real Chinook.

The issue with an AI co-pilot means that they come pretty much redundant without human input to the pilot.

The pilot will need human eyes to inform him of loading an under-slung load. Due to the nature of the aircraft and its size, it will be quite hard for the human pilot to know exactly where the rope is in connection to the object and how high.

In real life the pilot relies on his crew 99% of the time, however this is not RL but tries to be as realistic as possible. So to try and find a balance we talked about that , and by default the co-pilot which is populated by a human player will automatically have the extra options. However if for what ever reason they become absent, disconnect or die, the scripts will then revert back to the pilot.

Operational roles might be restricted more, aka taking longer to hitch an item but it wont take away the functionality permanently . Providing the helicopter is kept "active" within the game being a co-pilot/ WSO should be equally fun!

Not everyone will want to help a pilot in MP, but there might be some clans/groups who would like this as a system for pilot promotion or providing a effective service to the battlefield. I guess its similar to being a tank commander, with the sanctification coming from other means, than killing. (being able to stay alive, the feeling of time passing and duration ect)

I'll keep you updated as we progress, thanks everyone.

Obviously All Hummers/FAVs and also LAVs

The LAV 25? The helo wouldn't even be able to take off!

The LAV 25? The helo wouldn't even be able to take off!

Maximum weight a Chinook can carry: 12.5 Tons

Weight of a LAV-25: 12.8 Tons

Barely a difference :) I think it might be able to carry it.

If it says a max weight that it can carry, then it cannot carry more than that safely.

If it says a max weight that it can carry, then it cannot carry more than that safely.

Key word. Safely. :dance1:

If it could get into the air, the fuel consumption would be enormous - enough of a difference to severely limit the flight time.

I don't think it's a realistic prospect especially as the CH-53 is designed to lift LAV-25's.

Altitude and temparature also have a massive effect on heli load capacity (the higher and the hotter, the less can be carried)

@gray1107

The chinook will be released with all its functions, but we are not very far away now. Norrin has been working on temp objects and scripts during this. :)

Nice one thanks