Sign in to follow this  
webman1200

For Flashpoint fans, how many of you believe that...

Come on guys lets see things for what they are, The only reason ARMA 1&2 feel like the origanal Flashpoint is they are all buggy as hell lets face it the only thing the saves arma 1/2 is the modding comunity, if you never had any modds this game would have been finished long ago, OFP has got a very stable engine underneath and on there forums you don't see the headaches people have here just trying to get it run HALF decent. I love the origanal OFP and i love the Models in arma 1/2, Sure ofp has got teething problems like all new releases but they have got a very solid foundation to start building on, when they start adding new vechiles/weapons/maps/missions maybe different country's etc this is going to start kicking some arse! Arma 2 is still not running right after the 4 patch and now there pushing on with Arrow it dose'nt look good, lets see what the future brings a! :yay:

Arma 1 and 2 feel like OFP because they play like OFP, the same movement system, free head and third person as well as enviroment and things of that nature.

The fact that it runs the same engine is what makes it feel like the original and only Operation Flashpoint and for those reasons is why the bastard child DR will never feel like OFP.

As for performance well of course, DR has far less complex model, environment and shaders as well as less happening in the background, it better run smooth for less specs.

Tell me something, have you scanned your computer for viruses, de-fragged and things like that? If not then you should, you may find things running smoother and may fix some of the bugs you are having.

Edited by NodUnit

Sure ofp has got teething problems like all new releases but they have got a very solid foundation to start building on, when they start adding new vechiles/weapons/maps/missions maybe different country's etc this is going to start kicking some arse! Arma 2 is still not running right after the 4 patch and now there pushing on with Arrow it dose'nt look good, lets see what the future brings a! :yay:

Look, they DON'T have a solid foundation to start. The (Award Winning) Ego technology is extremely limited. It was designed for racing games. Where you have a bunch of static objects (tracks etc) and cars moving about. The Ego Engine's AI is the worst possible. The Ego engine was designed for console's. Then ported to PC. You're basically just running a console emulator.

If you look at the scope of Arma2, compared to the simulated large warfare of DR, there is absolutely no comparison. DR is a virtual hallway shooter. Sure it doesn't have walls, but because of the limitations of Ego, they force you to stay within a very confined battle-zone.

Once you get into the "Award Winning" editor of Dragon, you see the extreme limitations of the engine. To make this game better, they have to totally re-write the engine. And that's not going to happen. Everything in DRagon is simulated. You have to tell the AI they are in danger, they will not seek out cover. Only squads flank, but you need three, one to suppress and other two to flank. Individual squads stand there like idiots. They can't shoot straight, the damage models are horrible (bouncing helo's that crash). And as far as content, limited vehicles, limited variations to the loadout of your team. Actually, you can't even change that.

They give you an island that you can't explore. The mission creators say "You must walk from this point, to this point. While you do, I'll spawn some guys to shoot at you, If you walk around the trigger, they aren't there. When you see how the game is built, from within, it's almost laughable on how easy it is to just avoid combat. It's a joke a total joke. And what's so funny, is the people are so defensive about a joke that was played on them.

It's not what they promoted it as, it's not even close. I don't know why you're trolling over here, I don't see Arma people trolling over on CM's forums. Mainly because those guys over there are ready to march on CM's offices they are so pissed.

Arma 1 and 2 feel like OFP because they play like OFP, the same movement system, free head and third person as well as enviroment and things of that nature.

The fact that it runs the same engine is what makes it feel like the original and only Operation Flashpoint and for those reasons is why the bastard child DR will never feel like OFP.

As for performance well of course, DR has far less complex model, environment and shaders as well as less happening in the background, it better run smooth for less specs.

Tell me something, have you scanned your computer for viruses, de-fragged and things like that? If not then you should, you may find things running smoother and may fix some of the bugs you are having.

I own arma1 gold adition, arma2, ofp etc, ofp was sweet the story line sucked you in loved it even with the bugs and not so hot graphics (by todays standards) could not put me off played it for ages, to loose one team member was like loseing one of your family etc. was not even worried about patches or updates because there was so much there to enjoy in it. arma came along with the same layout as ofp but some how was different and has never been the same since in my opion cm might have the name but does that make arma1/2, ofp 2/3 i don't think so with countless patches going on arma1/2 and still not running right on a lot of peeps pc's even if it was still called ofp, would you be happy with it now if you were on the 3rd installment of ofp i don't think so,like i said the mod comunity have kept this game alive and they have done some great stuff! So i have supported bohemia by buying there games and was hoping they would sort there stuff out by giving me a game i could play out of the box but alas after upgraiding my pc to a quad core etc and found i still could not run it to be enjoyable i bought ofpdr, i look on this game as a cousin to the origanal and i think they have cracked it, people are starting to do maps, campains and started tweaking AI in it and just those few things have made a great difference just in a couple of weeks. I dont see many threads from I9,I7 AMD quad core, duel core saying they can't run it, All they seem to moan about is there's not enough stuff in it ....just a simple download sorts that i suppose!

Put it this way Arma is like frank bruno big and slow!

Ofpdr is like hollyfield slick and fast and can bulk up a bit

Who would you bet on? :yay:

I own arma1 gold adition, arma2, ofp etc, ofp was sweet the story line sucked you in loved it even with the bugs and not so hot graphics (by todays standards) could not put me off played it for ages, to loose one team member was like loseing one of your family etc. was not even worried about patches or updates because there was so much there to enjoy in it. arma came along with the same layout as ofp but some how was different and has never been the same since in my opion cm might have the name but does that make arma1/2, ofp 2/3 i don't think so with countless patches going on arma1/2 and still not running right on a lot of peeps pc's even if it was still called ofp, would you be happy with it now if you were on the 3rd installment of ofp i don't think so,like i said the mod comunity have kept this game alive and they have done some great stuff! So i have supported bohemia by buying there games and was hoping they would sort there stuff out by giving me a game i could play out of the box but alas after upgraiding my pc to a quad core etc and found i still could not run it to be enjoyable i bought ofpdr, i look on this game as a cousin to the origanal and i think they have cracked it, people are starting to do maps, campains and started tweaking AI in it and just those few things have made a great difference just in a couple of weeks. I dont see many threads from I9,I7 AMD quad core, duel core saying they can't run it, All they seem to moan about is there's not enough stuff in it ....just a simple download sorts that i suppose!

Put it this way Arma is like frank bruno big and slow!

Ofpdr is like hollyfield slick and fast and can bulk up a bit

Mmmh....well i won't feed the troll, as he's too hungry for me :jail:

Edited by ProfTournesol

Mmmh....well i won't feed the troll, as he's too hungry for me :jail:

Lol trolling Prof T I'm entitled to my opion! i've paid my due's... its trolling putting answer like your's up ....if you got nothing constructive to say and like OA is going to be a full patch aswell to optimize arma2, than don't bother!

Take of your glasses and see the light brother!

Lol trolling Prof T I'm entitled to my opion! i've paid my due's... its trolling putting answer like your's up ....if you got nothing constructive to say and like OA is going to be a full patch aswell to optimize arma2, than don't bother!

What light? The light of OFP2 not having dedicated server, no CDKEY protection, no checksum system, limited enviorment, awful AI or horrible vehicle model?

There is no light at the end of the tunnel in this game (heck, not even in the start)

What light? The light of OFP2 not having dedicated server, no CDKEY protection, no checksum system, limited enviorment, awful AI or horrible vehicle model?

There is no light at the end of the tunnel in this game (heck, not even in the start)

The days of the dedicated severs are dying brother!

Take of your glasses and see the light brother!:butbut:

Runs good for me.

Runs fine for me as well. But I am one of the lucky ones who have never had a problem running the game. Even for with the v1.0 German version it ran pretty good. I'm one of the lucky ones though.

Personally, as a milsim, I think A2 reigns surpreme. No question. For a good shoot-em-up I like OFPDR. Since I enjoy milsims much more the edge goes to A2. That's just my personal feelings though.

How many Flashpoint fans here believe that Arma (and Arma2, and the future versions to come out) is the real Flashpoint sequel? Dragon Rising doesn't even come close to Arma, Dragon Rising doesn't even feel like a Flashpoint game! Bohemia has kept the Flashpoint look and feel to both Arma and Arma2, but whoever developed Dragon Rising can't even come close to Bohemia's work.

So, what do you guys think?

yes and no

OFP was "real countries, cold dirty atmosphere, my neighborhood , my childhood, real mass war feeling"

Arma was "too clean, not realistic, banana countries"

Arma2 is very good step but "too new, not enough dirty, too modern, special operation not massive global war"

i know that OFP feel can be made using P85, CWR and good missionmakers

but more destroyed houses, dirty houses

placed somewhere in 1985, after Guba death, as continuation of story

i really loved 1985 era , it was time of my school and i really would like to feel again massive war between 2 blocks

i love large battles and all OFP missions, is Arma sequel ?

yes and no

maybe not enough cold war dirt

maybe too modern, i never liked modern wars , games of modern wars

i always loved historic games

something like "another history version" like Luftwaffe 1946

and etc.

but Arma 2 can be sequel if OFP islands will be released and we will do on them cold war era

for kids who played whole life CoDs - they don't feel the same, what feels person who played 2 years RTCW and 5 years OFP :D

also for young players there is no felt of history, cause "their time is now"

but OFP was "it could be like that" for me

and i will remember OFP atmosphere for whole my life, no matter "it is just a game"

yea... except RTCW, AVP and Max Payne and Project IGI i ONLY played OFP for many many years

i tried other games, but they had no "this feeling" and they were "launch god mod, kill some, uninstal"

of course now OFP do not make such impression after CWR , cause Arma quality raised so much graphics, that looking at OFP is "poor"

but in Arma2 such cold war theme can make it real sequel and thats why i spent nearly 2 years on cold war addons :P

i simply love OFP theme and "this feeling" of "war from my childhood"

everyone feels sentiment to his child time, so for people 40-50 years old those are games about NAM war, i know some older people and they play those NAM mods

but you know... like Predator movie

do you feel atmosphere in Predator 2 in city ?

no :P

do you feel AVP scary atmosphere in AVP2 ? no

do you liked Max Payne 2? no way, cause in 1 "there was death in the air at Rasco Street station" :D "to laundry man, to laundry" :D

i remember pre-arma screens from 2005, and than BIS shown cold-war screens and they were cool :D

althought graphics was poor comparing to Arma release, but were showing that they work on real OFP 2 (cold war)

they changed idea, i don't know why

but i remember screes of Soviets and US in woodland from 2005

i belive that Arma 2 can be sequel with cold war addons and islands with dirty destroyed houses and good masive missions, when soldier feels like "i am just small piece of meat, i will try to survive, cause whole world is crushing"

mentally some of us are addicted to OFP :D

and Dragon Rice is like Acid Drinkers sing "disappointment"

mentally some of us are addicted to OFP :D

and Dragon Rice is like Acid Drinkers sing "disappointment"

You started of so well before you went mental!

You started of so well before you went mental!

What? He's right. Most of us here were/are extremely disappointed with Dragon Rising. I no longer even put the OFP prefix to it, as it's not justified at all by the game.

I have to admit, I took my glasses and saw the light, or more aptly, I looked sideways at the grass and it vanished into 2Dism (like looking sideways at Kate Moss), I ran up to the enemy AI, told them I was one of them and they were too stupid to know otherwise, I spent hours searching for a server that wasn't run by a kid on a pseudo dial up connection, I tried to drive a hummer, hit a rock and got air, landing 200m away, the hummer remained undamaged, so I drove another 30m then it exploded.

I saw the light, quit out, and loaded up Arma 2. I am at peace with the Universe once again.

The days of the dedicated severs are dying brother!

Bwwahahahahahaaaaa....... <breath> bwaaahaaaaaaaaaa

Let me read that again.....

Bwwwwhahahahaaaaa

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2

But i'm playing OF:DR. Something fresh.

Really? When I played it, it felt like every other generic, badly made FPS console port out there.

This is like bragging about who has more herpes on there junk... both fail to live up to OFP.

It is trolling dude. Were talking about the next ARMA here not a shitty arcade title. So please go back to your cm forum instead as its so good.

What? He's right. Most of us here were/are extremely disappointed with Dragon Rising. I no longer even put the OFP prefix to it, as it's not justified at all by the game.

nice to know you bought it!....but you don't get it do you .......it runs stable out of the box for most of the peeps who has bought it! if you have tried the new Ai mod that is about you will understand what is coming in future to this game think it's easy and somewhat linear or narrow give it a go, love to see your skills against this mod if its it's to hard you can turn it down to easy if it's to hard.Like i said this ofpdr is a cousin to the origanal, like arma is a stepbrother to the origanal. Arma has years to sort itself out and still failing alot of peeps over that time,godsake don't blame me just because as a consumer i'm voicing my opinion!

Take of your glasses and see the light brother!:yay:

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

It is trolling dude. Were talking about the next ARMA here not a shitty arcade title. So please go back to your cm forum instead as its so good.

should check your own forums there is no other arma except OA and maybe a console port?

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

.....it runs stable out of the box for most of the peeps who has bought it!

I can think of many other games that run stable out of the box. That doesn't mean they come even remotely close to ARMA 2 though.

I think this is getting a tad repetitive.

AHEM!

http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

I can think of many other games that run stable out of the box. That doesn't mean they come even remotely close to ARMA 2 though.

Thats my point ARMA can't ............THANKYOU! :bounce3:

Dragon Rising is stable because it isnt doing all the stuff ArmA 2 or even the origina Operation Flashpoint is doing.

It's a simplified game made for the mainstream masses, you can't get around that. The game as a sequel just blows.

ArmA 2 may have it's issues, they are not nearly as large as some people make them out to be.

ArmA 2 is the real sequel, no question about it. And at least BIS is staying true to our wants and needs, which alone is worth the 40 bucks to me.

A lot of people are happy with Dragon Rising, which is good, but a lot of people like Arma 2 better, which is also good.

On one hand you've got Arma 2, which took a few patches to iron out all the problems and get it working for most people, and some people still have issues, the upside being that you have an indepth military sim with excellent graphics and extreme modability.

On the other hand you have DR, which works out of the box for most people (some still have issues), and the performance is better than Arma 2's on older hardware. The downside being that the graphics, while good, aren't great, there's no depth, it's not a milsim and has very limited modability.

So depending which you prefer, both parties should be happy. If you want a milsim, you've got Arma 2, if you want good performance out of the box, you've got DR. If you want bugs, well, play either game.

For the love of God, stop saying that over and over...

nice to know you bought it!....but you don't get it do you .......it runs stable out of the box for most of the peeps who has bought it! if you have tried the new Ai mod that is about you will understand what is coming in future to this game think it's easy and somewhat linear or narrow give it a go, love to see your skills against this mod if its it's to hard you can turn it down to easy if it's to hard.Like i said this ofpdr is a cousin to the origanal, like arma is a stepbrother to the origanal. Arma has years to sort itself out and still failing alot of peeps over that time,godsake don't blame me just because as a consumer i'm voicing my opinion!

Thankfully, I didn't buy it. My unfortunate friend did, who hated it so much that he was willing to give it away to me. I only wanted it for testing/comparison purposes, anyways. This new AI mod came out after I had (permanently) uninstalled the game, and quite frankly, such a mod shouldn't be as necessary as this one is. ArmA II's AI is lightyears better than DR's is out of the box.

DR is not the cousin to OFP. It's the bastard child. The one that no one will ever accept as legitimate. I'm not saying you can't voice your opinion, I'm saying it would be nice if your opinion didn't include blatant lies. Oh, and ArmA II ran perfectly stable out of the box for me, and I run on close to highest settings, and still does so. DR performs better, but that's to be expected. It has to handle a significantly smaller load.

I look forward to seeing if you're still playing DR in a few months time, while this community will still be just as active as ever, and will stay that way for years to come.

Really? You're going to try and play that? Have you even looked at the CM forums? It's a hatred fest. Not towards people disliking the game, but actually towards CM for producing such a bad game. And:

AHEM!

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=113

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1312

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1311

Compare the number of positive threads/posts to the number of negative threads/posts and you'll see what I mean.

Edit: Hm... Given the way that this discussion is going, would it possibly be more appropriate for this to be merged with the official DR thread?

Never mind, W0lle thought the same.

Edited by Zipper5

Every DR discussion goes into the DR thread in the off-topic forum, thanks.