Sign in to follow this  
webman1200

For Flashpoint fans, how many of you believe that...

Arma2 for sure..!

BUT!!!

the original operation flashpoint had much better "cqb-friendly" movement..

thats what i miss in arma2.. :-(

I already knew when Dragon Rising was announced that it wouldn't be a true sequel. To make that you really have a lot more of dedication, something that is really lacking in most of the industry, there is more dedication to the money, but even that can lead to failures. I am kinda used to all the PR lying and false promises by big publishers, I haven't even played Dragon Rising yet, I think I never will.

ArmA 2 for me too, the only thing I really miss in ArmA are the good ol' OFP campaigns.

I already knew when Dragon Rising was announced that it wouldn't be a true sequel. To make that you really have a lot more of dedication, something that is really lacking in most of the industry, there is more dedication to the money, but even that can lead to failures. I am kinda used to all the PR lying and false promises by big publishers, I haven't even played Dragon Rising yet, I think I never will.

ArmA 2 for me too, the only thing I really miss in ArmA are the good ol' OFP campaigns.

I agree with everything you say. I didn't expect DR to be like operation flashpoint at all... But I am hoping that it turns out to be a decent arcade game, I do like that kind of games.

Hell, you can't even lean... That is just weak

I lurked the dr forum for months before it was releast, i ended up not getting the it, the main reason being i dont like being lied too, for me arma 2 is the best game around at the moment for me, will i still be here if a better game comes along, even if its made by codemasters, no.

Arma2 could be alot better than it is now, i haven't seen a big improvment over arma1-v-arma2 other than the gfx (if you have the power that is), they haven't made the game any better just made it nicer to look at but thats fine by me i was still playing ofp up until the release.

How many Flashpoint fans here believe that Arma (and Arma2, and the future versions to come out) is the real Flashpoint sequel? Dragon Rising doesn't even come close to Arma, Dragon Rising doesn't even feel like a Flashpoint game! Bohemia has kept the Flashpoint look and feel to both Arma and Arma2, but whoever developed Dragon Rising can't even come close to Bohemia's work.

So, what do you guys think?

I think you've asked the question in the spot you know you'll get the answer you want.

Tbh both games have their merrit, yes ArmA II is much more like OFP1, thats because it is OFP1, just heavily modified and its campaign quality lost. OFP2 has decided to focus on the ground combat and tbh I found the campaign in OFP2 more interesting. Having said that, ArmA's modability (and hopefully it will increase) gives it a good step up over OFP:DR's current non existant level and while OFP2 has alot of nifty features (not to mention an AI that seemed to react better and cheat less), ArmA's jack of all trades style keeps it in its own league.

TBH I don't think the games can be compared, they've aimed for different styles of FPS, ArmA is a battlefield level game, OFP is a ground combat/squad level game.

Im out ot turn with gaming news but i played OFP 1 for 5 years - only after getting that arcada crap of dragon rising did i hear about arma II and i felt like playing OFP1 again and it felt good . Many ppl complain about bug with the game but i donot get that impresion at all - It is RL simulator - Why would insurgent leader always be at the same camp and not try to run away ? Why would wep smugglers be easy to find ? it makes more sense not to find them at all ...

Im out ot turn with gaming news but i played OFP 1 for 5 years - only after getting that arcada crap of dragon rising did i hear about arma II and i felt like playing OFP1 again and it felt good . Many ppl complain about bug with the game but i donot get that impresion at all - It is RL simulator - Why would insurgent leader always be at the same camp and not try to run away ? Why would wep smugglers be easy to find ? it makes more sense not to find them at all ...

QFT

But you have to understand that most of the people who bitch are "ADD Instant grat" type gamers who have to have everything handed to them and be told exactly where to go and what time to be there.

The plus side is they don't usually stick around for long :D

Eth

Luhgnut;1471847']

Now' date=' a sequel is supposed to build on the previous release that builds on the predecessor They simply took the name, (because that's all they had Rights to apparently) slapped it on a game that has no resemblance what-so-ever to it's namesake. Simply for marketing purposes. Would the game even get nearly the attention that it did if it wasn't for the name? All they wanted was the Branding. Even in their interviews, they don't even distinguish the name in it's entirety. They say "Operation Flashpoint", or simply "Flashpoint." Why they don't say "In Dragon Rising" or "Dragon" or even it's true complete name. They constantly referred to the title as "Flashpoint" or "Operation Flashpoint." Since they weren't licensed to use the engine that BIS created and owns, they had to go with another engine that was sitting on the shelf and only just mod it. They use the same engine in nearly all their games. It's basically a mod. Like taking the Unreal Engine and just mod it.

How can you possibly call it a sequel, when it doesn't use the same engine, doesn't have the look and feel as the original, not a simulation as the original, story content and game play not as the original. It's not even in the same ballpark.

They titled it, the promoted it, to get it the name recognition only, to boost sales. Now that they are under fire for all the above reasons, the drop back and punt and call it a tactical shooter.

[/quote']

Exactly.

OFPDR didn't even have the same look or feel as the old OFP did. Arma1/2 have that feel since they are on the same engine (upgraded) and the same dev team. These 2 titles are the true OFP2/3

Dragon Rising is a halfway house between Armed Assault and Call of Duty Modern Warfare in my eyes.. its still enjoyable in its own way, but not a true simulation.

I somewhat enjoy the game, not enough to drop down the money for it though. But I did drop down the money for Arma and Arma 2.

I've watched some videos of Dragon Rising, and I have to say, it looks good... but it just seems too arcade game to me.

It is VERY arcade! The freakin choppers bounce on the ground when they crash! Hell, I landed the cobra really hard on the deck and I just bounced... In OFP/Arma/Arma2 your chopper would be out of service or would explode.

Vehicles bounce off rocks as well, like their rubber...

The only reason why ArmA is not a direct sucessor of OFP (as in being called OFP 2) is because BIS lost the rights to the brand name (which remained property of Codemasters), so ArmA is in fact the real sucessor to OFP

What CodeMasters did was to shamelessly plug into the fan base BIS had amassed with OFP and ArmA to release their 'competition' title whose only resemblance to the original OFP is it's name...

but as of now no other game studio has even come close to developing something as uncompromisingly realistic and all-encompassing as the OFP/ArmA series

Cheers

100% agree.

in dragon risings defense there are mods out now increasing ai accuracy and even modeling a morale system in...the game becomes much more enjoyable when your ai actually become lethal when successfully ambushing enemies...before it would just be a massive waste of ammo with them getting shot and you personally having to kill everything

seems as though the people upstairs at cm limited what they let the devs do in terms of realism because they were after money by tapping into the arcade side of things...overall it feels rushed and watered down...mods will help it greatly but i dont know if its enough to save it...for mods you need a good community and they have definately turned away alot of people....pc version will get better but i feel bad for the console players

If Cm didn't have the naming right to operation flashpoint Arma 2 would be OFP 3. Arma 2 feels totally like a sequal to OFP, no questions asked. DR is a new game that feels alot different and closer to MW

I agree with everything you say. I didn't expect DR to be like operation flashpoint at all... But I am hoping that it turns out to be a decent arcade game, I do like that kind of games.

Hell, you can't even lean... That is just weak

Yeah me too, when I am in the right mood I can enjoy some MP Halo, but only when I am at a friends house. Even so, I won't be playing Dragon Rising, they flushed out too much, it's more like Operation Flushpoint.

Pretty akward that a Xbox 1 game called Operation Flashpoint: Elite beats the crap out of the 'nextgen' version. They should make that one backwards compatible on the 360 so that console people can experience what makes OFP.

Even the trailer is better than the prerendered trailers of Dragon Rising. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyXZYhdTdHg

OT: ArmA is the spiritual succesor to OFP, but OFP is still on it's throne, if it weren't for the lack of TrackIR support, I would be playing OFP.

If CM had the right for the "Delta Force"-name this discussion would be on the novalogics forum, and about a game called "Delta Force : Dragon Rising".

We should stop talking about this game on this forum as its another game. Keep this to OT maybe?

Even though I own both games. (And I haven't started playing Dragon Rising yet) I wouldn't think of OFP2 as namly that. Even though its named OFP 2, I am not expecting it to be. Had to try it though, but CM should have an e-mail sendt their way soon. Just using my small oportunity as a costumer to complain.

ARMA II feels like and plays like OFP. But what I liked in OFP and both add-ons was the great campains. I am afraid that both ARMA titles simply lacks the great stories and caracters as OFP had.

I own both, too, and I've tried playing OFP: DR. The only good things that I can point out is that it runs ok on my laptop and the campaign is more interesting than these insurgent fighting campaigns of ArmA and ArmA2 (the biggest beef I have with these games) - it sounds more like a Cold War scenario the OFP had.

But, it's too obviously scripted (meaning, the missions turn out pretty much the same each time, the enemies appear at the same place at the same time), the initial missions are very small scale (didn't get too far yet), enemy is rather blind, it's hard to get killed (I play on the hardest setting), it's hard to kill (enemies take too many shots to die), there is no lean, the weapon and hands are of the typical "grow from the shoulder type", there is a map which shows the friendly and enemy forces, there is no compass (or I couldn't find a mention of it in the manual) so I have to check the map and the small arrow around my blip to see the direction I'm heading in, the bodies disappear with the weapons, the artillery/airstrike support can't be designated on the map (or I couldn't find it in the manual), but with that clumsy pointing method, friendly AI shoots me in the back sometimes, etc.

I expected to be somewhat disappointed, but I expected a much more serious product given the hype by the developers in their interviews and promo videos. I bought the game because I wanted to support these kinds of games, but now I think I want my money back because it seems that I support some console tactical shooter ported to the PC.

Edited by ijozic

Agreed with andersson. I don't see the point of discussing something that everyone is aware on and even agrees on, at least in this forum. :D

ArmA and ArmA II are definitely the spiritual successors to OFP. While not really sequels, they've continued the OFP legacy. DR is not OFP's real sequel, despite what CM might advertise. Officially, it is, but in my opinion, it doesn't deserve such a title.

This.

I got OFP DR played the first mission emailed Codemasters a nice little email about how P word off I was and how it sucks. I expected more then Armed Assault to and got worse the Operation Flashpiont cold war just better graphics is the only thing I see that I liked.

I got OFP DR played the first mission emailed Codemasters a nice little email about how P word off I was and how it sucks. I expected more then Armed Assault to and got worse the Operation Flashpiont cold war just better graphics is the only thing I see that I liked.

It is BF2 with Flashpoint cut and pasted onto the title.

Have yet to play Dragon rising but seriously arma 2 just doesnt make me want to keep playing.

I admit it is a nice game,maybe a very nice game even but the overall extreme sadist complexity of the game is ridiculous. the controls i mean. It took an age trying to work out how to type for god sakes.

Learning curve aside(since its probably a personal problem) the other aspects of this game are pleasing. Graphically it is impressive, when it works. Seemingly it is difficult to even run this game on normal settings. The performance issues are mindblowing, weird loading textures I'm experiencing destroys the experience. Terrible frames equates to a bad experience regardless of the complexity of the game. I hope they give us a huge performance increase asap via a new patch.

Gameplay wise, while being somewhat immersive(or could be since frames are terrible) is still plagued by weird ai that stare at walls while prone, run past you at literally one metre away.

Other issues include: weird jumping'ish sway of the the aim reticule thing.

-when the aimpoint is aimed towards a light source it goes white. wth.

Have yet to play Dragon rising but seriously arma 2 just doesnt make me want to keep playing.

I admit it is a nice game,maybe a very nice game even but the overall extreme sadist complexity of the game is ridiculous. the controls i mean. It took an age trying to work out how to type for god sakes.

Learning curve aside(since its probably a personal problem) the other aspects of this game are pleasing. Graphically it is impressive, when it works. Seemingly it is difficult to even run this game on normal settings. The performance issues are mindblowing, weird loading textures I'm experiencing destroys the experience. Terrible frames equates to a bad experience regardless of the complexity of the game. I hope they give us a huge performance increase asap via a new patch.

Gameplay wise, while being somewhat immersive(or could be since frames are terrible) is still plagued by weird ai that stare at walls while prone, run past you at literally one metre away.

Other issues include: weird jumping'ish sway of the the aim reticule thing.

-when the aimpoint is aimed towards a light source it goes white. wth.

I haven't noticed any of this since patch. I'm also running the beta patches, and all of this sounds like old complaints.

It is BF2 with Flashpoint cut and pasted onto the title.

BF2 is much better than that game, please don't bring BF2 to that low level.

At least BF2 has large player and DEDICATED servers...DR, what a crock.

I see now ARMA2 (for thoughtful simulation play) and BF2/Project Reality (for psuedo-tactical/run and gun play) are where it is at for the time being.

How many Flashpoint fans here believe that Arma (and Arma2, and the future versions to come out) is the real Flashpoint sequel? Dragon Rising doesn't even come close to Arma, Dragon Rising doesn't even feel like a Flashpoint game! Bohemia has kept the Flashpoint look and feel to both Arma and Arma2, but whoever developed Dragon Rising can't even come close to Bohemia's work.

So, what do you guys think?

Come on guys lets see things for what they are, The only reason ARMA 1&2 feel like the origanal Flashpoint is they are all buggy as hell lets face it the only thing the saves arma 1/2 is the modding comunity, if you never had any modds this game would have been finished long ago, OFP has got a very stable engine underneath and on there forums you don't see the headaches people have here just trying to get it run HALF decent. I love the origanal OFP and i love the Models in arma 1/2, Sure ofp has got teething problems like all new releases but they have got a very solid foundation to start building on, when they start adding new vechiles/weapons/maps/missions maybe different country's etc this is going to start kicking some arse! Arma 2 is still not running right after the 4 patch and now there pushing on with Arrow it dose'nt look good, lets see what the future brings a! :yay:

BIS an ArmA1,2,exp will always be there spiritual predacessor to OFP. I think it's kinda funny that it in a sense has bit CM in the butt cuz it(DR) did'nt even IMO show anything what so ever minus the partial name anything that resembled Operation FlashPoint.

Come on guys lets see things for what they are, The only reason ARMA 1&2 feel like the origanal Flashpoint is they are all buggy as hell lets face it the only thing the saves arma 1/2 is the modding comunity, if you never had any modds this game would have been finished long ago, OFP has got a very stable engine underneath and on there forums you don't see the headaches people have here just trying to get it run HALF decent. I love the origanal OFP and i love the Models in arma 1/2, Sure ofp has got teething problems like all new releases but they have got a very solid foundation to start building on, when they start adding new vechiles/weapons/maps/missions maybe different country's etc this is going to start kicking some arse! Arma 2 is still not running right after the 4 patch and now there pushing on with Arrow it dose'nt look good, lets see what the future brings a! :yay:

Tell me : what's the point registering here only to tell us that ? Feeling alone on the CM forum ?

Runs good for me.