Which browser do you use?  

317 members have voted

1. 1. Which browser do you use?

• Internet Explorer
    • Firefox
    • Safari
    • Chrome
    • Opera
    • Mobile Phone Browsers (S60 Browser, Mini Opera, iPhone etc)
    • Other (Please state)

Been using Firefox since 0.6x version. I might give Chrome a chance if it had as good extensions as Firefox. (Can't live w/o AdBlock, Flashblock and some others.)

Been using Firefox since 0.6x version. I might give Chrome a chance if it had as good extensions as Firefox. (Can't live w/o AdBlock, Flashblock and some others.)

It has Adblock. Dunno about flashblock. But that's there too probably. There's a growing list of extensions, but no RSS ticker!

Yeah, lack of built in RSS feeds is currently Chrome's biggest failure, and some of the Download features are pretty mediocre compared with Firefox, Opera or even *shudders* IE...

If Firefox screws up royally.

Might give Chrome a go though, sounds like it's a solid bit of kit.

You could call it a solid bit of "WebKit"! OK bad joke. Taxi for one!

I use Safari and Firefox, but not because they "look nicer and run faster" than IE. But because they're standards compliant, Safari more so (and Chrome, they're based on the same engine, aka WebKit, Wiki it!)

Check this website out to see how well your browser renders standards compliant code. The lower the score the worse it is. If you score less than 80, upgrade to a newer version of what you're on or choose something else.

Out of interest:

Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 = 20/100

Mozilla Firefox 3.5 = 93/100

Apple Safari 4 = 100/100

Google Chrome = 100/100

Opera = 100/100

Opera all the way. It's customizeable in many ways, fast and sports a great amount of features easily accesible. It's nice to have the same set of bookmarks, notes, etc. regardless of where you use the browser, even in your mobile phone.

Check this website out to see how well your browser renders standards compliant code. The lower the score the worse it is. If you score less than 80, upgrade to a newer version of what you're on or choose something else.

IE8 64-bit only scored 12 when I tried it now. So that's a major fail for MS.

I use Firefox 3.5. I tried Chrome and liked it, but wont switch due to the lack of an Adblock type extension.

Edited by Maddmatt

Firefox 3.5 on my desktop.

IE6 on my old notebook because it's light, fast and still highly compatible.

Won't install Chrome again anytime soon because I ended up with multiple instances of GoogleUpdate.exe running all the time.

Firefox 3.5 on my desktop.

IE6 on my old notebook because it's light, fast and still highly compatible.

Won't install Chrome again anytime soon because I ended up with multiple instances of GoogleUpdate.exe running all the time.

Nuke IE6! It's the bane of web develoeprs everywhere. It's reluctance to die is literally holding the web back. KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!(fox). OK another bad joke. Two is more than enough for one thread methinks!

Voted other: I use Avant browser or Orca Browser.

They are both the same browsers, but Avant uses the IE as rendering core, and Orca uses Webkit (Gecko)

You prolly never heard of those, wich is a shame. It really is an complete package with no need for any add-ons like in FF. It features online settings/bookmarks/rss storage, popup/flash/image blocker, full cusomisable search bar, mouse gestures etc. etc.

The only downside (mainly Orca) is that not all plugins like WMP11 install right away, or crash.

I have all other browsers installed for webdev testing, but they all feel so dumb compared to Avant or Orca. My workflow is so much faster with Avant, but I guess that I got used to it that much.

Edited by rundll.exe

Why oh why would a third party browser bother with the IE rendering engine?

Because not long ago there were many pages that didnt render well in FF, but that's mostly history now.

So not long ago they started making Orca, with exactly the same interface as Avant, but a much faster rendering engine.

Another feature in those I would highlight (wich may also be in some FF extension ofc): The custom search in the adress bar. For example if I type: "b setpos" in my adress bar, I get the BIKI with the setpos help. If I type "w World War 2" I get the WW2 Wiki page. and "l Eagles Of Death Metal" I get the last.fm page of EoDM. You can define them yourself ofcourse, and its a damn fast way of finding stuff.

Chrome and Opera support that too. A very useful feature.

Edited by echo1

I just love firefox, It got a cool name and tons of pluggins and safety stuff you can add and hell it even got a spell check thingy, sadly I don't know how to change between languages , that would have been sweet. :)

I've been using Opera as my main browser since version 3.62 (I think that was the v.#) - it was first with tabbed browsing, iirc. It's improved with every update. I like using the built in mouse gestures in addition to its e-mail client and RSS functions, among other things. I use Opera's custom search functionality daily. Opera's Page Zoom is the best amongst all the browsers I've tried. All these, and more, are built in - no need for addons (though the Widgets are nice). My secondary browser is IE8.

Edited by Anguis

I just love firefox, It got a cool name and tons of pluggins and safety stuff you can add and hell it even got a spell check thingy, sadly I don't know how to change between languages , that would have been sweet. :)

right click on a field box

then select languages and add dictionaries.

if u already have different then just select the one u wanna use in that moment

BTW i do use opera now, as pointed before the mouse gestures are amazing, the notes save me lot of work, ....

Before i used FF, but it takes a lot now to load and looks so heavy.

Tried chrome and looks nice but for now i stick to opera.

Voted other: I use Avant browser or Orca Browser.

They are both the same browsers, but Avant uses the IE as rendering core, and Orca uses Webkit (Gecko)

You prolly never heard of those, wich is a shame. It really is an complete package with no need for any add-ons like in FF. It features online settings/bookmarks/rss storage, popup/flash/image blocker, full cusomisable search bar, mouse gestures etc. etc.

The only downside (mainly Orca) is that not all plugins like WMP11 install right away, or crash.

I have all other browsers installed for webdev testing, but they all feel so dumb compared to Avant or Orca. My workflow is so much faster with Avant, but I guess that I got used to it that much.

Gecko is FireFox, WebKit is Safari/Chrome.

IE.

It's the default one and it works.

Job done.

That depends on your definition of 'works'

Often it takes several times longer to get a website working with IE than it actaully does to get the website designed and coded in the first place. The new versions aren't any much better.

Latest Firefox. I like the spell check, "awesome bar", customizable quick search and all those addons you can install. Plus I have used it for a long time so I know it pretty well.

Edited by sparks50