Sign in to follow this  
biggerdave

ArmA2 SLA Pack 0.9

Hello there;

A quick update on what's happening. Progress has slowed because I've started back at university, so I don't have as much time to put towards modding, that said, I have made some progress.

The next update will have full incorporation of my unreleased weapon pack (they'll hopefully be released simultaneously) here's some teaser pics for the weapon pack, it'll contain a number of general use weapons. I don't want to say too much about what will and won't be in, because there's a good chance that some stuff that's in it right now won't be in the final version; here's some pics anyhows. There's a special prize for guessing all 7 weapons!

Teaser1.jpg

Teaser2.jpg

Progress has been made with the vehicle pack as well, hopefully this will be released alongside the other two addons, though if it isn't, then it'll definately be released soon after, here's a WIP shot of the BMP-1P

Teaser3.jpg

As you can probably see, like the BIS vehicles it's been set up to use hidden selections for quick and easy remapping. This means it's possible to include BMP-1s for all the factions that already use BMP-2s without increasing the filesize much, pretty cool huh?

(Look at me posting screenshots from Buldozer, who do I think I am? Vilas? :P )

would not it be better to use P85 weapons pack ?

in future maybe i will divide one big weapons pack to few smaller (by country of orign) but we live in XXI century and most people here have fast internet, so 150 MB download is not big problem :P

if you wanna reinvent wheel okay, up to you

but P85 pack is made to be used also by other mods , weapons list is publicated and you can easy use it , instead of doing from scratch East German AK's and AK-100, you can use classes from P85 list, but if you wanna have your own - it is up to you

and this what you shown as BMP1 is not looking like BMP1 but BMP2

Edited by vilas

Speak of the Devil =p

I'd rather not use the P85 weapon pack because I'm not entirely sure what the internal workings are, I've balanced the config of my weapons by inheriting from the BI values, to ensure compatibility with replacement mods. Also, while, 150mb may seem like little to you, but are still people to whom it's a lot, I'd feel a lot more comfortable using a file that's under 1/10 of that uncompressed.

Also, it's not an East German AK, you of all people should be able to tell that from the wooden furniture!

The reason it looks like a BMP2, is because it's a BMP-1P, which has the same launcher as the BMP-2 (as opposed to the earlier BMP-1s which had a launcher mounted over the top of the barrel), as this is a modern era addon, it seemed counter-intuitive to include one of the models from 50 odd years ago...

(I've managed to severly hurt my ankle since my last post so I may be unavailable until next monday. I'll stick the supersecret prize on a flash disk if anyone wants to guess)

Romanians also used similar stock for MPI-AK

but this vehicle looks like BMP2, not BMP1 (P is only version with AT4/5 instead of AT3)

but rest of construction is the same,

your vehicle is looking like BMP2 with thick barrel modeled

show top of vehicle and side of vehicle, cause a see skirts are from BMP2, while BMP1 had other

http://www.ddrafg.com/images/Heavy%20Weapon/New%20images/bmp1.jpg

As I'm sure I said, it's a work in progress image, I intend to modify the model further to better resemble the BMP1... and, no, if it were a BMP2 it would have smoke launchers and a coaxial PKT visible in that picture. The skirting differences between the BMP-1 and 2 are relatively minor and simply haven't been modelled yet.

hah, smoke launcher and coax... most important to recognize vehicle type... than show top of vehicle, how it look from top

if skirts are "minor and simply" and smoke launcher is very important... than show top of vehicle again

i know what is most visible difference between BMP1 and BMP2 except skirts and cannon barrel

but do you know ?

yet you only show BMP2 with thick barrel

so if you ask others about weapons, than i ask, what is most visible difference between BMP1 and BMP2 (except cannon and skirts)

basic difference between BMP-1 and BMP-2 from top:

bmp1bmp2.jpg

Major visible differences (essential for recognition) are turret, skirts and hatches There are many other little differences on hull ... like suspensions, sharp edges on side-top armour...etc

booo : P

i wanted to know if he knows, now he knows thanx to those drawings (previously looked like difference is in smoke launchers and rest is minor) ;)

yes, 4 hatches, one hatch on smaller turret and this small technical hatch behind commander's seat

Thank you both for your meaningful contributions (maa much more, of course, as that image is going to be much more useful in the later design stages than the sources I was previously working from).

However, as I'm certain I've stated twice before now, this is a Work In Progress image. I have not yet started to modify the hull from the original model to better resemble the BMP-1. I apologise for not making this clearer in my post.

Wow! Looks great and d/ling as we speak form ArmAholic. No offense armedassault.info. I use you both.

Keep up the great work and I'm looking forward to more SLA stuff.

A preliminary version of release 2 has been made on the ArmedAssault.info forums. I'd ask that any bug reports be made there, as I'm not able to check these forums as often. There will hopefully be a final version of release 2 sometime soon-ish.

Some pictures from the thread:

Marines (old picture, not representative of ingame version)

Navy Crew (old picture, not representative of ingame version)

Desert Troops (Big Picture, fairly representative of ingame version)

Preliminary Release Coming Soon - Watch this space

(Preliminary because there's still a few issues, but I'm kinda running out of modding steam here, so a final release may still be way off)

I have to go somewhere in about 10 minutes, so I can't upload it now (that'll take ~45 minutes), should be able to do that in ~2hr or so. So, yeah, ~3hrs until release. Feel free to countdown if that's the sort of thing you guys enjoy doing.

This is preliminary release! While everything is working, there are a few minor issues that are proving difficult to solve, or I simply can't find time to fix. That said, it's tidier than a lot of "finished" addons. But, if you demand a absolute perfection, wait until the final release.

Link: http://www.filefront.com/15590781/HSO_ArmA2_SLA_R2_PRELIM.7z

Contains: ArmA 2 weapons pack, SLA Infantry pack*

(*This has vehicles in it, the reasons it's called "Infantry Pack" is because it's only got Infantry Models in it, the vehicles are just reskins of BIS vehicles, there was originally going to be a vehicle pack, containing new vehicles, but it never really got off the ground... more accurately, it exploded in the hanger.)

Known Bugs

Weapon Pack:

-Bolt Animations don't work (Anyone got an example of how to make this work? I can't seem to work it out :( )

-Some Shadow issues

-Lots of mess in the PBO (shouldn't affect game play too much, but it does increase the size for no real reason, I'd rather make everything usable then delete it.. except the Laser gun. That'll never be usable. ArmA.2 can't handle such madness!)

Infantry Pack:

-FFW textures (and pretty much everything else about them) are a bit iffy right now. Not really a bug, but I will make them better in the final R2 release.

-Some clipping issues with equipment

-Jet pilot looks really sh*tty from some angles

@D@VÅ:

I've created a small displayname replacement mod to add german localization to your units. Are you interested in the files? You are free to use and extend it if you'll let me have a look on the german translation before final release :p

@D@VÅ:

I've created a small displayname replacement mod to add german localization to your units. Are you interested in the files? You are free to use and extend it if you'll let me have a look on the german translation before final release :p

Hi

I was planning to add localizations for this version, but I never got round to it... I already know some people who I plan to bug for help in the German translation though.

The class names won't change in future releases, so if you want to release your replacement PBO that's fine :)

@Darkhorse: Just Chernarus? :butbut:

lol. I bet the SLA will pop up all over the globe soon. I'm already hearing radio chatter about SLA officers spotted in Duala, Kibrul,and Panthera. The RACS will probably attempt to help the leaders of these countries (and others) attempt to expel the SLA once and for all. ;)

@D@VÅ:

Great to hear :) Ah by the way ... did you change the faction class and it's priority to make it fit with CAA1? For months I had a double SLA faction class because CAA1 used the same faction classname, but different priority numbers.

Are there static defenses in the final release?

Edited by [GLT] Legislator

@D@VÅ:

Great to hear :) Ah by the way ... did you change the faction class and it's priority to make it fit with CAA1? For months I had a double SLA faction class because CAA1 used the same faction classname, but different priority numbers.

Are there static defenses in the final release?

The CAA1 faction bug isn't due to priorities, it's caused by both CAA1 and myself using factions with the same display name but different classnames. The only real fix to this problem would be to make CAA1 a required addon, something I don't really want to do due to it's size.

There are static defences in the current release, they're only on the woodland faction though, I forgot to add them to the desert one... I'll do that later today.

The CAA1 faction bug isn't due to priorities, it's caused by both CAA1 and myself using factions with the same display name but different classnames. The only real fix to this problem would be to make CAA1 a required addon, something I don't really want to do due to it's size.

True ... I fixed it this way because basicly I'm gonna use SLA addons only with CAA1 together. Didn't thought of that :o

I just started to use the SLA pack. Those textures are wonderful !

Thanx for your work D@VÅ ! :)

How dare you D@VÅ! :) Just when I thought I'd finished off the pesky SLA they come back for another battle!

Nice addon, they look really nice.

I am a huge SLA fan, thanks for bringing them back for another round, this time against Razor Team.

Good work here, as we discussed earlier. I've noted some bugs:

- Hem of all models where a jacket skirt is visible at the rear has a sharp ninety degree bend in it sticking down from the hem. This distorts textures and looks quite odd. I can get a screenshot of it if you'd like.

- Especas Saboteur units have their canvas AK magazine pouches pushed too far into the model. Bring them out two centimeters or so and they'll look as if they're attached to the belts rather than surgically implanted in the trooper.

- Texture distortions - which you've noted as a bug and probably already have fixed for the v1.0, for all I know.

I'll see what else crops up when I have more time.

- Hem of all models where a jacket skirt is visible at the rear has a sharp ninety degree bend in it sticking down from the hem. This distorts textures and looks quite odd. I can get a screenshot of it if you'd like.

Could you get a screenshot of this? I'll see what I can do about it, but if it's what I think it is causing it then I'll probably mess more stuff up than I'll fix... Ditto for texture distortions.

The magazine pouches are surgically attached to the troopers! Some nations aren't content with super soldiers unless they're walking Swiss army knives, but the trick to doing it right is baby steps! :p