Sign in to follow this  
xmongx

Clan?

Could somebody explain why being in a 'clan' is bad whilst being in a 'squad' or 'team' is good?

Ive been playing in clans for about half of my life (Im 30) and clan was always the correct nomanclature....what changed?

i think i missed something (which is quite possible due to the distractions of work, children and houses).

Edited by xmongx

The term "clan" just doesn't fit anymore.

They most come and go on weekly/monthly bases, their members change hourly, and you can usually join them with just an email addy....ect ect.

When we used the term "clan" 15 yrs ago, with thought it just did not fit for us. We just started using the term "group", which stuck.

Edited by SWAT_BigBear

I think many referes themselves as squads or teams becouse of the military orientation of the game. Clan term is hovever not dead. There are many groups out there that call themselves clans, and the lifetime of a group has nothing to do with the name or vice versa. We are a clan with +20 active members that has been playing together for a longer time. Again within our clan we have 4 different squads that has different tasks in the battlefield. Who said the term clan is bad anyway??

We (TAW) feel that we out grow the clan status - We mostly use gaming community and within the gaming community we have an Arma2 team.

Does matter what you call it i myself use clan all the time just to make sure everybody understand the "The Art of Warfare" is.

It's just a name for a group of players. Some teams and squads think they are more 1337 by using a newer term, but at the end of the day, clan = squad = team

Or they think like me, that 'clan' is for more hardcore PvP groups, while for example 'squad' is a more laid-back term. 'Clan' sounds so... extremist to me.

Been a clan since 2000 We certainly are not extreme, a bunch of mates that play games together.... dont give a monkey's what u call us, so long as u dont ignore us :)

Just my 2 cents worth. I chose the word clan because it just seemed to have a ring to it with our "gaming group" name. The Urban Resistance Clan sounds better than The Urban Resistance Community or The Urban Resistance Squad or The Urban Resistance Gang or The Urban Resistance Spit Club, lol. I never read too much into what clan names were unless they sounded real stupid and there are many out there, lol.

I've been wondering this since I noticed that it says:

(Please note, "clan" is a swear word).

Does anyone really know why the word is a swear word? The discussions mentioned here are insightful but it doesn't really say why it's considered a swear. I was thinking it was some kind of offensive word but I suppose that would the word "klan", and I don't know many people who find any offense from this group of j%&$@sses anymore.

Sorry for the off-topic. Just curious as well.

Just a matter of preference really. Some use the term squad because they are a military games oriented group and the name more accurately describes their origin (usually start out as a a small squad of players) or maybe they have a military background so it is a term that to them is indicative of teamwork, some use clan because it is a term they are familiar with after years of gaming. I think if anyone refers to the 'clan' nomenclature as 'bad' they are chasing a feeling of superiority over other groups, for instance Counter Strike players.

---------- Post added at 08:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 AM ----------

I've been wondering this since I noticed that it says:

Does anyone really know why the word is a swear word? The discussions mentioned here are insightful but it doesn't really say why it's considered a swear. I was thinking it was some kind of offensive word but I suppose that would the word "klan", and I don't know many people who find any offense from this group of j%&$@sses anymore.

Sorry for the off-topic. Just curious as well.

I took it as a bit of tongue in cheek

Could somebody explain why being in a 'clan' is bad whilst being in a 'squad' or 'team' is good?

By definition the term "squad" implies a tactically organized group in a military sense, while the word "clan" basically means "clique". Of course when it comes to clans and squads in online games, both are mostly the same.