Sign in to follow this  
Rhammstein

I want to experiment with realism

And so it would make my life far easier if I could use "player allowdamage false" without having to go through that process everyone speaks of, messing around with files and such. I heard there's a way to simply use this command through the debug console, of which I've never even seen, and as far as I know this game has no console, period.

1st. Does the game actually have a console, and would that command work?

2nd. If the game doesn't have a console, I see a nice looking mod that looks like it will add a console, where you can do all types of cool stuff, if I used a mod like that, could I get this command to work?

3rd. Is there just anyway at all to be invulnerable just so I can mess around and really test how much this game simulates certain things, because its' aweful tough with enemies firing on me, and the bots are a no go, I can't have them dying, and I can't even have them involved, I don't want them killing or destroying anything.

Please tell me this isn't the only game ever where you can't be invulnerable without having to go through a bunch of trouble, I don't want to use some application and mess around with files. If it were as simple as editing a file within the game folder, I'm cool with that, I'm used to it. Please, any advice or help of any kind.

Also, if I have no choice but to do all this work to use the "player allowdamage false", is it simply editing a file? Couldn't someone that's done so send me a copy of that file and I can replace mine, and keep a copy of my original for when I'm done messing around with what I want to do..?

I hate posting asking about god mode, but I'm trying to not even use those words, I simply want to see how real this game is, and check a few things out in the campaign missions. Thanks so so much for any info, really, because I've exhausted every search, here, fan sites, google, you name it. Hell I'd even use a trainer if I had to, it would only take me a hour or two to test the things I wanna test.

PLEASE HELP!

well the easiest way to ensure no one will deliberately shoot at you is playing as civilian.

or you can also use a free float camera which would make you a defacto spectator. I'm sure you can find a script with a bit of searching.

I guess the old this) or the units editor name you gave it ) setcaptive true in the init line also still works?

If it does enemy units will not fire at you as they see you as captive.

I want to experiment with realism

And so it would make my life far easier if I invulnerable

If it were as simple as editing a file within the game folder, I'm cool with that, I'm used to it.

god mode

Hell I'd even use a trainer if I had to...

PLEASE HELP!

LMFAO :yay:

You can eaisly make yourself invulnerable in missions you yourself made (or modified) by using this allowDamage false; command in the init field of the player unit.

Hi all

Go in to the editor.

Insert you player unit and type this into the initialization field

this allowdamage false

Insert opposing units and test.

The player unit is invincible.

I cannot think of a single occasion where I would use it to perform any kind of meaningful testing of ArmA.

As has been pointed out if you want to do testing a camera or civilian or better still a proper test suite with metrics logging is a far better solution. Most modding teams that I have ever had anything to do with use a test suite of which a console is only a small part.

Kind Regards walker

Some of you just didn't get what I meant exactly, maybe I wasn't clear enough. But never mind, I spent a few hours reading and I understand how to manipulate everything. All that's left is figuring out this so called "easy-to-use" editor, hah, it's anything but. But I'll have it working for me, I can see a ton of fun ahead!

Btw does anyone know of a really kick ass night time assassination mission I can download? And I'd need to be pointed in the direction of heh, directions on how to install, and I'm assuming any downloaded mission would go under "my missions? Eh, I'll wait for a response, you guys are really helpful ;)

Well it wasn't really a rocket science to open up some other mission and checking out what does what and what happens when you alter something.

Well it wasn't really a rocket science to open up some other mission and checking out what does what and what happens when you alter something.

I don't understand what it is your trying to do, because what you're saying is either sarcasm, or a really suggestive and simple comment disguised as some kind of impertinence.

If it was sarcasm that lol ;) If not, ladida.

LMFAO :yay:

:bounce3: Yeah I know hahahah.

Although once I do decide to cheat (only after I beat the game's single player missions, and not once but several times over) it'll only be to do funny stuff. I'm well aware of how using god mode can ruin a game, and the worst part, you're paying $40-$50 for a game that the devs took countless hours to work on AI, and the scripts, and god mode basically takes that and throws it out the window. IMO using cheats on say a $50 game reduces he value to $10.

Edited by Rhammstein

it's your game, do with it whatever you want.

I want to experiment with lesbians. But shucks.

that'll take some serious config editing I think.

Hi all

By the way there are several consoles about.

Kind Regards walker

I understand many of you didn't get what I meant, and it's nobody's fault I wasn't clear, but I also don't like typing out 2,500 characters.

To give you an idea what I wanted to test, here's an example. I moved a squad member a few feet in front of a fence. I crouched, then while aiming straight for his chest, I slowly strafed until the fence was between me and him. He was about 5 feet from the fence, me also, so about ten feet apart. And I fired, actually first I used my pistol, then my AK. I just wanted to see if ya could penetrate materials like that.

Since some of chose to act a certain way, I will not describe the result. Try it yourself if you care that much, I mean I sure would.

Edit: Is anyone here familiar with the A-Life system used by GSC? It's the technology used in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games, although it won't be fully implemented until the next game in the series, which is the third, Stalker - Call of Pripyat. As it is the AI is absolutely incredible, and I've been trying to compare this games AI to the A-Life system. It's a full time job, because it's hard to pick out the bugs. I've seen some really smart things, and some absolutely stupid, beyond stupid. One example would be, an enemy would be reported to all, and on top of that an order given to another squad member to engage him, all the while this squad member, (and yes I did announce danger and tell him to stay low, not prone but which ever it is that has him copy me) well he thought it would be a great idea to stand in the middle of the street, the moment I saw him walking toward the street, which had enemies to left and right, and he was made aware of, I knew he was dead, he didn't get one step into the street. To make things worse, he was standing straight up, while I was crouched and watching for enemies and watching my squad members back who went after the lone enemy.

I'm sure this had to be a bug, because he didn't listen. I've seen bugs in the A-life system, but nothing suicidal. Although you don't control squads, you can only watch factions fight it out.

Anyways, I'm not going to compare a game with 10 patches to this one, which is far more complicated (nothing compared to the A-life system, as far as complicated technology, at least that I know of) and still brand new. Oh btw any stalker fans, I'm DHRammstein over on the forums. I spend most of my time in the Clear Sky section, although I just started another game of Shadow of Chernobyl on the toughest setting, using Oblivion Lost mod. It's so great.

Edited by Rhammstein

So you wanna to be invulnerable?

player exec "invulnerable.sqs"

alive player:goto loop

!aliver player:goto exit

#loop

damage player >=0.01

player setdamage 0

~0.01

goto "loop"

#exit

exit

I want to experiment with lesbians. But shucks.

Couldn't that easily be done with the attachto command? :D

So you wanna to be invulnerable?

player exec "invulnerable.sqs"

alive player:goto loop

!aliver player:goto exit

#loop

damage player >=0.01

player setdamage 0

~0.01

goto "loop"

#exit

exit

I really don't think you should use that script. I doubt it will work if you get killed in 1 shot, and there's already a command that does it better: player allowDamage false;

I really don't think you should use that script. I doubt it will work if you get killed in 1 shot, and there's already a command that does it better: player allowDamage false;

But I just have no idea how to use this "player allowDamage false", at all, and I want to use it in both campaign and scenerio, although either one would be fine. If there's a simple way without having to unpack files and all this nonsense then repack..I'm just not gonna do all that when I can get a trainer that will make me invulnerable by messing with game in Ram.

If you want to modify missions, there's no way to dodge unpacking. All you have to do is unpack the mission, open it in the editor, place this allowDamage false; in the units init line, and save the mission back as PBO (or not even pack it back, you can just play it as an editor mission).

Hi Rhammstein

If you are wanting to test ArmA II's simulation realism you can do that in the editor.

If you test in a mission some one else has made you do not get vanila ArmA II. Instead you get vanila ArmA II plus all the mods and scripts it is running.

It sounds to me more like all you want to do is cheat in the ArmA II campaign. Of course any such a thing is meaningless. But if you want to do it then per sey you have to open up the ArmA II campaign and alter the missions to include your cheat. As to "Trainers" they do not work the ArmA II anti cheat/ turns your experience in to a circus of not being able to hit the broad side of a barn, spawning as chicken's and wierd control screw ups and the like. Amusing when they complain in troubleshooting though. ROFL

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Hi Rhammstein

It sounds to me more like all you want to do is cheat in the ArmA II campaign. Of course any such a thing is meaningless.

Kind Regards walker

Although once I do decide to cheat (only after I beat the game's single player missions, and not once but several times over) it'll only be to do funny stuff. I'm well aware of how using god mode can ruin a game, and the worst part, you're paying $40-$50 for a game that the devs took countless hours to work on AI, and the scripts, and god mode basically takes that and throws it out the window. IMO using cheats on say a $50 game reduces he value to $10.

There, that was on page two, you probably didn't read the entire thread. No big deal, I sometimes skim through threads fast as miss points too.

Regardless I don't intend to cheat the way you may think, and I've downloaded and gotten a very well made debug console to work, so I can edit anything, exec anything, etc etc, so now I can do all the fooling around that I want. Such as testing the AI's perceptions, vision, all kinds of things.

You think I want god mode and to run around and play deathmatch style gaming in Arma II, and that's not it. I own every single good FPS game made for that purpose, and I mostly play CSS, ETQW and Wolf: ET.

The main reason for my wanting to observe certain things like AI, and several others(which using "player allowDamage false" makes much easier and saves countless hours) is because my favorite game/games, and Series, is S.T.A.L.K.E.R., both Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky, and I'm very excited about the next installment, Stalker - Call of Pripyat.

There are things about the two games I want to compare and see which is better, even tho they're entirely different, they share a few, a very few though, attributes, and I wish to test it all out. There's a reason behind all of it, idea's I have and projects I'm working on. I don't think I need to explain any further and take up any more time. This topic can end.