FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

Ok fine dismiss all the reviewers opinions who have pretty much consistently given it 80% - 90% . The guy you refer to was asked twice about comparing it to ArmA2.

Do you think its any different here?

And sorry if you guys dont like me posting links to reviews. I realise that the only "defence" about them is "reviews don't means crap", but what are you going to do about the players reviews later in the week? Pick the 10% of bad reviews as the truth and dismiss the other 90% as COD players?

I think we all know that some of you will do that, but you wont be able to prevent fans of the genre from seeing the truth and going out to buy the game.

Are you delusional?

Do you see me on the CM forums telling people not to buy it? You're the one who came HERE to the "competitions" (nothing could be further from the truth) forum to try and convince people that it's the best thing since sliced bread.

I really don't care what reviews say. I have my reasons for liking A2 (and OFP and A1 before it) and DR does not have the features (that were advertised, but subsequently removed or never implemented in the first place) that I want so I won't be buying it.

I don't think you understand that the way you and some of the others are behaving is effectively the same as walking into our home, taking a dump on the living room floor and then expecting us to treat you respectfully.

It doesn't work that way I'm afraid. It's the initial tone combined with the arrogant presentation of "facts" (most of which turn out to be wrong) that gets people's backs up.

Eth

Goddamn. I got home from the supermarket and decided to quickly browse before unpacking, and see what was new... 10 pages and 50 minutes later and my icecream is melted.... And there was absolutely nothing new or of interest to read.

I agree whisper - I hope that DR makes BIS raise their game, which is good for us, the paying customer. Ive still got ARMA installed, but I only play it again when new patches are released - the game has great potential and I had that one day it realises its potential.

Also I may not have been registered here for long, but I am a long time lurker. Some of you have short memories regarding what happened on this forum when ARMA2 was released.

Wait, he thinks the animations are better in DR than in ArmA II? I guess he wants BF-twitch-gaming style animations then, or something.

And of course he's going to give it high scores if he's posting on the CM forums. Anything other than that and he'll get ridiculed, warned and banned by members and moderators. :butbut:

I agree whisper - I hope that DR makes BIS raise their game, which is good for us, the paying customer. Ive still got ARMA installed, but I only play it again when new patches are released - the game has great potential and I had that one day it realises its potential.

Also I may not have been registered here for long, but I am a long time lurker. Some of you have short memories regarding what happened on this forum when ARMA2 was released.

Everyone here would agree that A2 had it's share of problems.

Shame that instead of acknowledging that DR might not be the second coming of Christ, you insist on pointing out A2's shortcomings.

Eth

Operation Arrowhead seems to be BIS raising their game, including the features that DR has and ArmA II doesn't have. That way there won't really be any competition I gather.

Arma has it's shortcomings but when military's around the world need a realistic simulator they don't pick up the phone and call Codemasters. They call Bohemia.

And that is a FACT.

100% confirmed.

All the positive review posts for OFP2 in the world won't change this fact.

anyway he is a russian guy with the game before release:

it was posted 1 hour ago, seems the early copies have made it out.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SEtp25jvT0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SEtp25jvT0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Edited by Eble

Operation Arrowhead seems to be BIS raising their game, including the features that DR has and ArmA II doesn't have. That way there won't really be any competition I gather.

Yes, the expansion looks really good and adds some things that were missing from A2.

Add the modding community and about 12 months and I think there'll be just about everything you could ever want (along with Mechs, Star Wars, Stargate, farm machinery etc etc)

Eth

Has. Semantics are important ;)

Have to agree tho, and its frustrating to continually have to make the same comparisons between the two, especially when they are clearly not in the same genre.

But people will insist on posting bullshit, so I will continue to debunk it.

Sadly the post I made back here seems to have been lost in the fray.

So just to bump it, that post quotes the hands-on experience of a player with the pre[view]-release xbox 360 version.

Has. Semantics are important ;)

Have to agree tho, and its frustrating to continually have to make the same comparisons between the two, especially when they are clearly not in the same genre.

But people will insist on posting bullshit, so I will continue to debunk it.

Sadly the post I made back here seems to have been lost in the fray.

So just to bump it, that post quotes the hands-on experience of a player with the pre[view]-release xbox 360 version.

TBH, I don't really have any issues with A2 at the moment (some minor sound issues).

Of course, others do have legitimate issues with A2 so "has" is fair enough. It's not perfect, but it is the only game of it's type and despite the problems, it is easily the best value especially in terms of pure longevity.

The possibilities are endless.

No other game offers the unlimited canvas that BIS has given us over the years. I really don't understand why these people feel the need to come here and attack A2 with these foolish and utterly misleading "comparisons".

Eth

Shame that instead of acknowledging that DR might not be the second coming of Christ, you insist on pointing out A2's shortcomings.

Eth

Eth if you read my posts you would see that I said by far and away the biggest potential draw back with DR, is the lack of confirmation (wall of silence infact) on dedicated servers and modding capabilities. The thing is that none of you guys even talk about that much, and instead say things like "DR hasn't got rabbits" which doesn't really reflect well on you :D

It looks like DR will be a solid game (though I agree I cant vouch for that until I play it and neither can you).

ARMA2 is getting better with the patches, but personally I want a game that works now, and Im not going to base my opinion of ARMA2 on what it might be in the future with mods/xpacks/patches. Having said that, if the game changes in the future then of course that may change my opinion.

I'm a gamer, and the only loyalty I have is to good games (which is subjective of course) ;)

Edited by space

No other game offers the unlimited canvas that BIS has given us over the years. I really don't understand why these people feel the need to come here and attack A2 with these foolish and utterly misleading "comparisons".

Eth

Id guess its because "their" game isnt out yet so they have nothing else to do.

As fun as it is to read 'posit and riposte' of facts, feelings, opinions and such, I'm going to let the first two weeks & a demo settle the score for me. Really need to get away from here. It's like seeing a train wreck - painful, but can't stop watching.

A mod really needs to put the speed brakes on this thread. Or the posters need to post facts with supporting info, there are too many points that reek of sheer opinion.

For me, the biggest drawbacks are the 4 man squad, the 2km^2 box, the 275m tether and the lack of modding tools. Dedicated servers and the other disappointments only add fuel to the fire. So far it looks slightly above average for a console game, but average for both a PC game and "mil-sim".

Also, in regards to the lack of briefings, check out this new video. He loads a mission (eventually, Christ he takes a long time to do it) and there is no briefing at all. It's obviously the start of the mission too.

Edited by Zipper5

Only one thing I truly envy DR is the voicing. Not the system ( Rifleman --- 500 m --- East , that is really nothing special), but the fact that it has 3 tones of voice: whisper, normal and loud. This has not been a problem for the original OFP:CWC since everything has been recorded on "normal voice settings", while in ArmA2 it is mixed (DAMN two IS DOWN). AI in ArmA2 is good (and getting better by each patch), graphics, sound, effects and atmosphere is great... but THIS is killing the immersion. Turning off radio is a great option for MP, but SP feels way too quiet that way. If voicing like that ever was on the ArmA2 feature list, it would have been waaaay down and it is most likely not even planned.. but for ArmA3? Hopefully the devs noticed the player's rants about "robotic speech" and decided to do something about it in the future.

Eth if you read my posts you would see that I said by far and away the biggest potential draw back with DR, is the lack of confirmation (wall of silence infact) on dedicated servers and modding capabilities. The thing is that none of you guys even talk about that much, and instead say things like "DR hasn't got rabbits" which doesn't really reflect well on you :D

It looks like DR will be a solid game (though I agree I cant vouch for that until I play it and neither can you).

ARMA2 is getting better with the patches, but personally I want a game that works now, and Im not going to base my opinion of ARMA2 on what it might be in the future with mods/xpacks/patches. Having said that, if the game changes in the future then of course that my change may opinion.

I'm a gamer, and the only loyalty I have is to good games (which is subjective of course) ;)

We don't talk about it because it is non existent. It was asked and answered ages ago.

DR is a console game first and a PC game second. If you have been around gaming for any significant amount of time, you know what that generally implies.

It DOESN'T imply it will be bad. I've been playing RE5 all day and it's great, but you can tell that it was developed for a console.

To be honest, mentioning the Ambient animal module does not make one look "silly". I've shot a Boar in pitch darkness before because I thought it was an enemy soldier. It adds to the atmosphere and games like A2 are all about immersion.

One of A2's limitations in terms of it's appeal is that in order to get the most out of it, you really need to be involved in a community (and learning the editor doesn't hurt either).

A2 is very deep and in this day and age, your typical gamer buys a game, plays it for a few days/weeks and moves on to the next one.

You can't approach A2 like that. I played and designed missions for OFP for 7 years and I have had some of the best experiences in my gaming career while doing so.

If you are in need of instant gratification, A2 is likely not the game for you.

Good luck,

Eth

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

Only one thing I truly envy DR is the voicing. Not the system ( Rifleman --- 500 m --- East , that is really nothing special), but the fact that it has 3 tones of voice: whisper, normal and loud. This has not been a problem for the original OFP:CWC since everything has been recorded on "normal voice settings", while in ArmA2 it is mixed (DAMN two IS DOWN). AI in ArmA2 is good (and getting better by each patch), graphics, sound, effects and atmosphere is great... but THIS is killing the immersion. Turning off radio is a great option for MP, but SP feels way too quiet that way. If voicing like that ever was on the ArmA2 feature list, it would have been waaaay down and it is most likely not even planned.. but for ArmA3? Hopefully the devs noticed the player's rants about "robotic speech" and decided to do something about it in the future.

Yep, that is one cool thing about DR and something I would like to see in Arma. I would really like to see dynamic voice comms that accounted for distance, occlusion, pitch, loudness etc.

Eth

I do not speak Russian, can anyone confirm "he didn't seem happy"?

I'm getting that vibe too from his reactions. The description looks like it's saying "Nonononono" but it's Russian, so I doubt that's what it means, but it's being said over and over.

I've asked a Russian guy I know on x-fire to give us a rough idea - he said he'll watch it when he finishes the game he's playing.

I'm getting that vibe too from his reactions. The description looks like it's saying "Nonononono" but it's Russian, so I doubt that's what it means, but it's being said over and over.

Why would he post a video from a to soon released version of DR and say nonono? Its in russian and probably means nothing.

try google олололо, it makes no sense, maybe means lol or something.

moving is lame... a camera that moves fullspeed to everydirection without inertia at all. No changes made from consoles to PC, just like in FC2.

Frankly, I'll be glad enough to get a realistic game that is playable and relatively bug free. The satisfaction here is atrocious, as a majority of the community agrees.

What majority? How did you quantify this? And have you read the DR forums lately. It's a bloody riot over there - and the game hasn't even been released yet!

Reasoning is impossible with (some of) you guys.

Yeah, like you, Space and that other idiot.

I sense that some of you are upset that OFP : DR has turned out so well

comical_ali.jpg

Have you even played the game? No, I didn't think so...

Edited by echo1

OK this is the translation:

[19:51] Space: yo

[19:51] DankE_SPB: hi

[19:51] Space: do you speak russian right?

[19:52] DankE_SPB: ofcourse)

[19:52] Space: hehe

[19:52] Space: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SEtp25jvT0&feature=player_embedded

[19:52] Space: could you watch that and give me a general idea of his opinion please :)

[19:52] DankE_SPB: a bit later ok?

[19:53] Space: yeah sure - cheers man ;)

[19:59] DankE_SPB: all settings on max, he likes the menu, overall game statistics during loading

[20:00] DankE_SPB: huge map, you can go wherever you want, its not limited by mission

[20:01] DankE_SPB: he says overall picture is not very impressive even on all high

[20:01] DankE_SPB: teamkill =)

[20:02] Space: ai temakill? or he did?

[20:02] DankE_SPB: he did

[20:02] Space: hehe

[20:02] DankE_SPB: those robotic voices like in arma ( you can hear its bad in the clip - they obviously didn't spend much money on the Russian voice actors :D )

[20:02] DankE_SPB: though he says the sound is pretty good

[20:02] DankE_SPB: he plays OFP series 1st time on easiest difficulty

[20:03] DankE_SPB: destructible buildings

[20:03] DankE_SPB: though their wrecks always the same

[20:03] DankE_SPB: his dad come into grumbling about something lol

[20:03] Space: lol

[20:04] DankE_SPB: in the end he shows how killed bodies look, that all)

[20:05] Space: and thats it? He doesnt say what he thinks about it?

[20:06] DankE_SPB: nope, just what i typed above

[20:06] Space: lol k - and what about when he says "no no no" ( could be russian for something else :D )

[20:06] DankE_SPB: his overall impression seems good

[20:07] DankE_SPB: where, at what moment

[20:07] Space: one sec

[20:11] Space: text bit "олололо"

[20:11] DankE_SPB: its just 'lololololol' in cyryllic =)

[20:12] Space: lol k - cheers man - thanks for the help

Do you think its any different here?

If it was the same, you and the other idiots would have been kicked from here a long time ago. I guess there are disadvantages to our enlightened model...

And sorry if you guys dont like me posting links to reviews. I realise that the only "defence" about them is "reviews don't means crap", but what are you going to do about the players reviews later in the week? No doubt you'll pick the 10% of bad reviews as the truth and dismiss the other 90% as COD players?

I think the issue here is that you keep posting the same one.

I think we all know that some of you will do that, but you wont be able to prevent fans of the genre from seeing the truth and going out to buy the game.

I'm pretty sure that it has been accepted over on yonder forums that they are no longer trying to target the milsim market. If that's the case, it's good to see that some of them have some sense.