FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

Because people from the dragon rising community, typically, come in here and compare dragon rising to arma. Thus one has to reply with corrections to those comparisons.

Thats questionable, considering CoD:MW2 is out at the end of the week too.

But why would you compare military technology which is not available to the public with a game? And Arrowhead is still a long way off release.

As for OFP : DR not having good sales - well it looks like its holding its own against COD : MW on PC :

Amazon Pre-Order Chart

Play pre-Order Chart

But why would you compare military technology which is not available to the public with a game? And Arrowhead is still a long way off release.

Because it is available to the public, and because we're told that the very same system is being ported across to Arrowhead. Thats why. If you read more than just trolling, you'd know that (its even posted at the top of this damn page...)

I'm questioning how well DR will sell too, when people find out that the realism isn't really all that... realistic, in the game. And that it may turn out to simply be a more open CoD game, which may be a definite sale for some people, won't attract that many people.

Or, perhaps it won't be this way. But if it is, then DR has no chance

Wow, more than 40 new pages in just one day, that must be a new record :D

(for being taken a tour by trolls, too)

So I watched few ingame trailers and what I find lame is that there is only one kind of reload. No matter if there is bullet still in or not he always pulls the bolt. This was very disapointing to see since they were talking so much about animations and all. Then I prefer arma way where anims are very, very simple so its easy on mods. I dunno why would you spend time on hot shot reload animations and make it wrong.

Sorry if this has been mentioned though, too much to read.

Well, it might be close on the pre-order chart, but once the game is released, I see DR's sales falling and MW2's growing rapidly.

You see Zipper you imply others are trolls but lets look at your recent posts.

You say that OFP : DR wont sell due to COD. I show you the figures that disprove that.

You reply "well its close" But now my prediction has changed to DR sales going down and COD rocketing.

Cant you see that every post you make is trolling?

As for DM comparing VBS to DR. Yes it can be bought, but its not aimed at the public. Can you not see that that comparing $1500 software to a $40 game is somewhat unfair? Last night the discussion had become a sensible and mature discussion. Now it seems to be rapidly going downhill again

Can you not see that that comparing $1500 software to a $40 game is somewhat unfair?

Can you not see where the BI devs are quoted saying "And we will be porting the VBS FLIR system to Arrowhead" which is a $40 game...

We know that ofp2 dispensed with the property and the third person schooter Bhdh point I'm trying to ask a question you solve this topic Bmcn Kesbp addon in the form of websites and individuals, thank you

What, you honestly think that DR will sell as much as MW2? I simply said the truth in that regard.

And I was merely questioning the reaction that people will have to the game and the effect it would have on sales, depending on what it actually turns out to be. I clearly said that if it turns out to be not all that different from CoD, then I see sales falling rapidly. If it turns out to actually warrent a purchase because it's one of it's better than that, then I can see it holding strong for a while after it's release.

Sales don't make a game good, however. But one thing that does make a good game is advertising. MW2 doesn't pretend to be anything it's not, it's a flat-out arcade shooter. And it looks to be significantly better than it's predecessor, or at least equal in greatness. But DR has publicized itself to be a military simulator, and with the recent releases of information pointing to it not being a military simulator, makes me think people will realize this and not buy the game over MW2. Which could, or could not happen, depending on what happens after the game is released.

Stop with the troll branding already. Jesus. Do I have to explain each of my posts in this fashion just to stop you guys from having any excuse at all to call me a troll? :butbut:

Can you not see where the BI devs are quoted saying "And we will be porting the VBS FLIR system to Arrowhead" which is a $40 game...

No he can't see because he is a troll.

We know that ofp2 dispensed with the property and the third person schooter Bhdh point I'm trying to ask a question you solve this topic Bmcn Kesbp addon in the form of websites and individuals, thank you

I think you are asking about modifications? You can create missions, but there has been no confirmation about being able to do anything else yet. I think that they are probably waiting to see how the sales go before they confirm anything.

The things that are discussed in here were repeated over a thousand times, so we are probably getting tired by the whole debate here, that also seem to never end! Everything was said already so i would like to read something new, something more technology oriented, when it comes to comparing both titles.

We know by now that OFP2 is more accessible, true, but if you want to have a real sandbox offering a vast world to interact with, then stay with BIS. VR3 gives you so much freedom in modding and scripting that i have not seen in any other game yet. So yes, we can condone some things here.

Oh, and beside, sale rates are not a real yardstick to automatically decide what game is better imho, as that relays on your very own point of view. Gameplay or mechanics?! I mean Cod had lots of sales, but technically-wise the game is just...um...cute. I mean one should ask himself, why BIS still is sitting on the throne of this genre and in outdoor rendering.

Two games, two types...nothing to kill for.

No Leopardi I'm not a troll. DM said himself that most people are comparing ARMA2 and OFP : DR.

Is there s FLIR in ARMA2? No

Is there s FLIR in DR? Yes.

Get over it! Theres no need to then start comparing other future games to DR, so that you can say "Well ARMA2 doesn't have it, but this future game will"

We know by now that OFP2 is more accessible, true, but if you want to have a real sandbox offering a vast world to interact with, then stay with BIS. VR3 gives you so much freedom in modding and scripting that i have not seen in any other game yet. So yes, we can condone some things here.

Exactly - give DR criticism where its due, instead of nitpicking of the tiniest detail forever. Who cares about the FLIR - sure its nice, but hello! There isn't even modding confirmed for DR yet!

Edited by space

I think that DR will give you what you're looking for, but I don't see why it has to be and either/or decision. Im sure ArmA2 will be fixed over the next 12 months, plus theres great MODs being worked on for it.

well, the 12 months is the problem here. There will be even fewer people playing online by then I am afraid. I remember trying to play multiplayer in Arma. This was basically impossible without joining some teams and scheduling the game so more then 3 people would be on the server. And even at that time: out-of-sync problems, crashes and other bugs.

Now, Arma is probably more-less fixed but it only became more outdated and people moved on to Arma2.

What is the online situation in Arma2 by the way? It is easy to jump into a game with no hackers ruining the experience and with fairly low pings? I only have the demo, you are lucky to join in with more than 3 people.

I hope DR will be simply more popular!

greg

Arma2 has more than its fair share of hackers and kiddies, and the stability of the game on-line leaves alot to be desired. Hopefully this will be fixed over time, but maybe everyone will be playing Arrowhead by then?

I remember trying to play multiplayer in Arma. This was basically impossible without joining some teams and scheduling the game so more then 3 people would be on the server. And even at that time: out-of-sync problems, crashes and other bugs.

greg

Check your internet connection or your computer, i always play ArmA on free servers till 3 months ago and i never have any porblem on finding servers with 16-24 people

Theres no need to then start comparing other future games to DR, so that you can say "Well ARMA2 doesn't have it, but this future game will"

Who cares about the FLIR - sure its nice, but hello! There isn't even modding confirmed for DR yet!

So when its "better" in dragon rising its the best thing since sliced bread, but when its "better" elsewhere "who cares?", "get over it?"

Whee, I love double standards :D

Is there s FLIR in ARMA2? No

Is there s FLIR in DR? Yes.

Is there a realistic, advanced FLIR in ARMA2? Yes, after Arrowhead.

Is there a unrealistic, cheap basic FLIR in DR? Yes.

Is there a unrealistic, cheap basic FLIR in DR? Yes.

Well, that description also fits the fake FLIRlike colorcorrection we can have in ArmA2. :p

Well, that description also fits the fake FLIRlike colorcorrection we can have in ArmA2. :p

That makes them equally bad then :eek:

One is fake and you can see everything with it.

The other is fake and you can see nothing with it.

:p

Funniest thing I have seen this week is PC Zone gave OFP DR 90% in their review and placed it in-between BF2 and ArmA 2 for realism.

It was however more accessible than say ArmA II but lacked hard-core realism. So it will do well regardless and Codemasters will make a load of cash out of it.

That wasn't teh funniest part. Opposing page to the editorial codies got a full colour page advert. Good but not the premium advertising position on any magazine. 505 got that with a full colour back-page of ArmAII with big bold red letter saying "This is the real-deal"!

505 must have had a heads up when Codies editorial was going in from the advertisers and played them off for the back-page!

That wasn't teh funniest part. Opposing page to the editorial codies got a full colour page advert. Good but not the premium advertising position on any magazine. 505 got that with a full colour back-page of ArmAII with big bold red letter saying "This is the real-deal"!

505 must have had a heads up when Codies editorial was going in from the advertisers and played them off for the back-page!

Thanks for the info. Glad to know that 505 is not "sleeping".