FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

lol wolle,you really are a wolly ;) stop thinking about mp for just a second lol You couldnt sell arma 2 to anyone from this day forward, could you tell them how much better arma 2 is than arma 1? could give them a huge list of features that differenciate arma 1 from arma2, ground breaking stuff? nope.

As ofpdr is feature packed, arma 2 is featurless.

How many military customers does Codemasters have?

You know the guys who ..fight wars for a living.

Here I'll post it again....

Australian Defence Force

Canadian Air Force

NATO members [There are 28 members]

New Zealand Defence Force

Royal Netherlands Army, Maneuver Instruction and Training Center/Ground Maneuver School at Amersfoort (OTCMAN)

Singapore Armed Forces

United Kingdom Ministry of Defence

United States Army

United States Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School

United States Marine Corps

Number of military contracts with Codemasters: 0

Seems several militaries around the world dissagree with you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VBS2

Edited by jblackrupert

I have just finished reading the Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising Mission Editor User Guide. Has anyone else here read it?

I have just finished reading the Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising Mission Editor User Guide. Has anyone else here read it?

Nope. What was your impression? Can you compare it to the Arma2 editor? :)

I haven't yet played ArmA 2, I was hoping someone familiar with the Arma 2 editor could let me know if there is anything unique about the DR editor.

I have read it and my impression is very good, on what seems to be a very user friendly editor. pretty much like arma really. maybe I'm actually referring to the "help" itself. very informative. And it make feels I can jump in and start editing.

BUT, considering the 63 entities, not much can be done without heavy scripting... so I feel the editor is a powerfull tool hampered by the game design/engine

The 'help' itself is very good I think

The only problem of the editor in BI games are documents(or the lack of), maybe bi can learn something from it

I have read it and my impression is very good, on what seems to be a very user friendly editor. pretty much like arma really. maybe I'm actually referring to the "help" itself. very informative. And it make feels I can jump in and start editing.

BUT, considering the 63 entities, not much can be done without heavy scripting... so I feel the editor is a powerfull tool hampered by the game design/engine

The 'help' itself is very good I think

Thankyou for your reply Mr Centipede. Can the Lua scripting language be used with the ArmA 2 mission editor?

Thankyou for your reply Mr Centipede. Can the Lua scripting language be used with the ArmA 2 mission editor?

No, unfortunately not. Arma2 supports .SQS and .SQF languages, which as far as I know are exclusive to BIS games. They're not hard to learn if you have some scripting experience, but the syntax is kind of weird in some areas.

No, unfortunately not. Arma2 supports .SQS and .SQF languages, which as far as I know are exclusive to BIS games. They're not hard to learn if you have some scripting experience, but the syntax is kind of weird in some areas.

Thanks for your help MadDogX. Is it possible to modify the artificial intelligence of foes with the ArmA 2 mission editor? What I mean to ask is can you tweak the difficulty settings of the enemy AI with the mission editor by using scripting?

Thanks for your help MadDogX. Is it possible to modify the artificial intelligence of foes with the ArmA 2 mission editor? What I mean to ask is can you tweak the difficulty settings of the enemy AI with the mission editor by using scripting?

Yes, the AI can be modified in several ways. The simplest being to change their basic skill setting using a slider in the unit dialog. Then there is a scripting command called setSkill wich has some nice functionality.

The most advanced way to affect AI though is through FSMs (finite state machines). These can be used to create complex behavioural directives, but writing them requires some advanced scripting knowledge.

Yes, the AI can be modified in several ways. The simplest being to change their basic skill setting using a slider in the unit dialog. Then there is a scripting command called setSkill wich has some nice functionality.

The most advanced way to affect AI though is through FSMs (finite state machines). These can be used to create complex behavioural directives, but writing them requires some advanced scripting knowledge.

Thankyou again for your help MadDogX. :)

I shall recreate that screenshot for you tomorrow in both VBS (to show what the IR will look like) and ArmA2 (to show the shell, tracer etc).

Well, here's the VBS2 shot:

loltisabot.jpg

loltiheat.jpg

Oh, and for comparison, the correct reticule + white-hot thermal mode in the AAV7.

loltidr.jpg

loltiwhitehot.jpg

These pictures also dont show the heatup/cool down, sun, or any other of the features of the thermal simulation which are not present in dragon rising.

And here's the sabot coming out of the barrel:

lolsabot.jpg

ArmA also has the proper reticule for the M1A1, unlike the "thingy" they have in DR.

Shells/tracers work exactly the same way in ArmA2 too, and the thermal sim in Arrowhead will be the same as in VBS.

... the thermal sim in Arrowhead will be the same as in VBS.

Is this officially confirmed? If so, yay awesomeness! :D

Thats what they say in the interviews.

Now that DM let the big fish out, I would eat them alive if they dont :p

BI you are offically approved to lower gfx standard back to OFP era and a selling price of a full game as long as you have this together with the engine fix ;)

Edited by 4 IN 1

i still have not bought arma 2. I am waiting for the demo or super good reviews of OPF2-DR before making my purchase decision.

I dont care much about all these little details ie the style of the reticule etc. I want the game to be fun. I want to be able to find an online server right away, without waiting in the lobby for 15 minutes. I dont want 2500 ms latency. I want the game to be user

friendly and easy to control.

will see this week who gets my $50!

Now that DM let the big fish out, I would eat them alive if they dont

Its nothing we havent been told already. See here.

BIS: Yes, there will be a FLIR system. We have one of the most sophisticated FLIR simulation systems already done for VBS2 and we will bring it in Operation Arrowhead

Why are we talking about VBS2/Arrowhead ?

Also have you got a SS/video of the reticule for the M1A1 in OFP? I've hardly seen any M1A1 stuff yet.

I'm still laughing at the man exploding from a propane tank exploding like it was quake 3 LOL realism hell no, nice video tho

Watch at 1:53 hahaha

Then you see a chunk of meat bouncing on the ground like it was a tire XD Sorry, but as amusing as that is, I'd still rather take the explosion in ArmA2 and seeing a man fly sky high ;)

Edited by Trunkz Jr

Yes, there will be a FLIR system. We have one of the most sophisticated FLIR simulation systems already done for VBS2 and we will bring it in Operation Arrowhead

Wow, I must have missed that. I guess that pretty much settles it as far as the official confirmation goes. The FLIR system in VBS2 is definitely superior to the FLIR I've seen in any other game to date, including the implementation in DR we've seen in the videos. Let's just hope they actually pull it off and don't hit any snags (though judging from the YouTube video someone posted a while back, the system is fully functional and looking pretty awesome in Arma2). If only they had included it from the start. ;)

i still have not bought arma 2. I am waiting for the demo or super good reviews of OPF2-DR before making my purchase decision.

I dont care much about all these little details ie the style of the reticule etc. I want the game to be fun. I want to be able to find an online server right away, without waiting in the lobby for 15 minutes. I dont want 2500 ms latency. I want the game to be user

I think you would like to wait for arma2:ah next year if I were you, maybe buying the gold edition or something if there is any

that said you are free to go with OFP:DR if you like

Edited by 4 IN 1

I think that DR will give you what you're looking for, but I don't see why it has to be and either/or decision. Im sure ArmA2 will be fixed over the next 12 months, plus theres great MODs being worked on for it.

Its pretty questionable how long DR will last (though I'm sure it will have great sales figures initially) Its starting to look like Codemasters have messed up the Multiplayer and are not going to support modding.

I'm still laughing at the man exploding from a propane tank exploding like it was quake 3 LOL realism hell no, nice video tho

Watch at 1:53 hahaha

Then you see a chunk of meat bouncing on the ground like it was a tire XD Sorry, but as amusing as that is, I'd still rather take the explosion in ArmA2 and seeing a man fly sky high ;)

Tooooo bad this flying meat will be water on the mills of politicians to forbid these games as a whole.

I don't want this game to be delivered to young people - and it's aiming at very young ones.

Why are we talking about VBS2/Arrowhead

Because people from the dragon rising community, typically, come in here and compare dragon rising to arma. Thus one has to reply with corrections to those comparisons.

though I'm sure it will have great sales figures initially

Thats questionable, considering CoD:MW2 is out in a few weeks too.

Edited by DM
Stoopid american date systems...