Sign in to follow this  
LOulOo

Video memory, very high or default?

MJK - Range where did you get your values from?

"LOW = 256-320MB

MED = for 512MB

HIGH = 1024MB (1GB)

V.HIGH = 2048MB (2GB)"

I just found this on the BI wiki:

Texture detail

Very low

Low

Normal - for graphics card with 256 MB physical memory

High -

Very High - for graphics card with 512 MB physical memory

Default - this setting is designed to fully utilize graphics card with over 512 MB and any other card with unusual size of installed memory.

Hi.

I found them on this first thread, Page 1 :)

Thanks for your find. That's mean i have to set my Video Memory to DEFAULT, since i have 2GB of GPU RAM :)

Set the value in-game to default then edit the memoryVRAM value in the config file. This value should be in bytes.

If you have 2gigs it should be "2147483648"

Let me know if it works.

Blunt;1402137']Set the value in-game to default then edit the memoryVRAM value in the config file. This value should be in bytes.

If you have 2gigs it should be "2147483648"

Let me know if it works.

Hi.

Thanks. I'm gonna set it to DEFAULT in-game.

Here is my ArmA2.cfg

language="English";
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=-4194304;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
Resolution_W=1680;
Resolution_H=1050;
refresh=60;
Render_W=1680;
Render_H=1050;
FSAA=2;
postFX=0;
HDRPrecision=8;
lastDeviceId="";
localVRAM=2128281600;
nonlocalVRAM=1878282240;

I haven't had any problem with ArmA2, but i like to try the DEFAULT setting in Video Memory. I let you know if i run into some problems.

Thanks ;)

As PC gamers, we're used to getting our heads around the wonderful fun that video options present us with. Thanks to these options screens, the greater mass now understands what the hell anisotropic filtering is, and the rest.

But why, BIS, introduce an all-new setting never before seen, that is ambiguous in meaning, where there is no precedent, and despite endless forum posts on your own site - offer NO EXPLANATION?

Leaving us to speculate, trial and error test and end up in a bloody mess of confusion?

Can ONE member of the BIS team take 2 MINUTES to post and explain? ...please...?

It's like you hate us and are laughing at our collective confusion.

Default setting breaks my game down from 30-40fps to 10fps. The comment about using too high a setting causing conflicts with the game data and crashing the game is true.

Default setting breaks my game down from 30-40fps to 10fps. The comment about using too high a setting causing conflicts with the game data and crashing the game is true.

Mr Fenix what "Video Memory" setting in-game were you using when you got 30-40fps?

When you used the default "Video Memory" setting what value is shown in you .cfg file under "localVRAM=VALUE;"?

Was this the only setting you changed when you experienced the change in FPS?

Cheers,

Blunt

My problem remains that any setting in-game ends up giving me 255mb of localvram. Before moving to 8GB of system ram and Win7 64bit I could set "default" and get around 512mb, now regardless of what I do I'm at 255mb... so I assume it's related to the 8GB though somehow or other.

hey, are you american? i bet you are, google czech republic...

i also want an official answer from a BIS dev (not mod) please.

why is nonlocalVRAM=1878523904 for most of us? and what does it do?

search you will get your answer. I set mine to the highest the game can use; 2gb less some for the buffer, 2047mb. But is it really that hard to figure out they have a default setting for whatever your H/W is, like every game does, you can adjust it...

I still haven't got this sorted out.

- In game settings do not change the CFG (it always reports 255mb when it should be 512mb)

- Altering my system ram from 8GB to 6GB makes ArmA2 misreport the vram down to 213mbs. Again, in-game settings do nothing.

- CFG file is NOT read only

- SLI no longer has any effect. Better frame rates with it off.

None of that was true with Win XP 32bit and 2gb of ram, but going to Win7 64 bit and 8gb totally screwed things over. I am getting less and less arsed to care about it.

Edited by datter

I am using a GTX295 and 6GB RAM.

Should the video memory setting be set to very high or default.

I heard that very high only detects 1GB and not the 2 GB that the GTX295 has.

Thanks in advance and loving the game despite it's niggles.

I have total confidence that BI will fix it.

Well if you have 2gb then you can probably set it as high as you want!

I have a gtx275 and was playing on very high, but yesterday i started getting more and more stuttering after around 5 hours play, so i switched it down to high, not sure it made any difference, and i never got any "out of memory" warnings or anything like that.

I really need to have a look at all the settings and work out the best setup, it is slightly confusing, i noticed my 3d rendering size was 125% non idea why, or how? so i changed that back to 100% and it seamed a bit nicer to play.

Shame the manual does not tell you what the various options actually do!

I use medium with medium textures or very high with very high textures on my 8800GT 512mb, can't seem to decide which one to use.

There is not much difference between the values for me in performance

I find this a bit strange

The game runs fine with very high and is only 1-3 fps slower than normal. I'm still averaging 30-45fps on average and no clipping in chernarus with lots of units and vehicles

Id'e say experiemnt around heavily wooded areas or chernogorsk with lots of units around and see what runs best

Default is the best option, it uses the localVRAM value from your ArmA2.cfg file.

yeah I've always used default and never have had any problems. I have used very high/high; but then I get artifacts and the receiving bug and have to use the "flush" command every couple hours

Default option, for me, lowers performance considerbly when using veryhigh settings.

Video Memory at VeryHigh:

arma22009082511540556.th.jpg

Video Memory at Default:

arma22009082511533907.th.jpg

As you can see, Default option reduce perfromance by quite a bit (i have a 4890 1GB GPU).

You can notice it's effects with ArmA2Mark... just use different levels and see the effects on the last test...

Default uses your video card memory configuration...

Very High only uses 512MB...

If you have more than those 512MB of VIDEO MEMORY, then use default.

On that last test you'll notice the way textures are loaded... using VH it will be progressive... using my default 1GB it loaded all the textures at once.

I never noticed a difference on my 295 GTX. I`ll look again tonight tho. I set all my settings at Highest, accept no AA/AF. I tried both Default and Highest, didn`t notice any performance/visuals difference.

Anyone wanna hazard a guess wtf default supposedly uses all your ram, and Highest uses only 512???? THAT, makes no sense at all.

Because it was added in a ArmA1 patch, v. 1.08. ArmA 1 was released when GPUs had no more than 512mb memory (more was not common). But with the release of the 8800GTX, 768mb card, it became more common (HD2900XTs with 1GB also showed up).

In the patch release notes it says;

* New texture detail "Default" that autodetects the amount of VRAM. Recommended Texture Detail setting for users of cards with more than 512 VRAM.

So yes, Default is the recommnded option for cards with more than 512MB of VRAM. What i dont understand is why i get a big performance drop using Default instead of VeryHigh.

Danny;1419320']Because it was added in a ArmA1 patch' date=' v. 1.08. ArmA 1 was released when GPUs had no more than 512mb memory (more was not common). But with the release of the 8800GTX, 768mb card, it became more common (HD2900XTs with 1GB also showed up).

In the patch release notes it says;

* New texture detail "Default" that autodetects the amount of VRAM. Recommended Texture Detail setting for users of cards with more than 512 VRAM.

So yes, Default is the recommnded option for cards with more than 512MB of VRAM. What i dont understand is why i get a big performance drop using Default instead of VeryHigh.[/quote']

That's really useful information Danny - I'm really frustrated BIS leave the forum guessing on what triggers/cfg parameters do what most of the time. Grrr.

I wish BIS would come out and define their settings & switches (such as -winxp) so the community can really help ourselves rather than guess and go on word of mouth that seem to have no official source.

Edited by shuurajou

I am using a GTX295 and 6GB RAM.

Should the video memory setting be set to very high or default.

I heard that very high only detects 1GB and not the 2 GB that the GTX295 has.

Thanks in advance and loving the game despite it's niggles.

I have total confidence that BI will fix it.

GTX295 has 896MB not 2GB.

Hmm i may try the default setting on mine tonight and see if it makes any difference.

It seams a very "arse about face" way of doing things!

1792mb

896mb

the another 896mb from the second Gtx 260 isn't used because it's a SLI card.