Sign in to follow this  
LockDOwn

does the body armor some troops wear work?

Units have an armour value that has an effect on damage and also dictates what weapons the AI will use on a unit. Whether it precisely correlates with each pixel or polygon of the body armour on the unit, I doubt.

If you think body armor is too low or too high for your taste, you can adjust it in the difficulty options. I think it's named something like "advanced armor".

Real life body armour isn't 100% effective! Kevlar helmets and regular body armour won't stop a rifle round, unless you have a ceramic plate as well.

The body armour on enemies is certainly effective, ive shot at least 8 or 9 times at a distant enemy (I could see the blood mist with each hit) yet he was still crawling around on the floor & returning fire! :rolleyes:

The body armour on enemies is certainly effective, ive shot at least 8 or 9 times at a distant enemy (I could see the blood mist with each hit) yet he was still crawling around on the floor & returning fire! :rolleyes:

What are you trying to say?

What are you trying to say?

I was being sarcastic about the fact enemies can sometimes take over half a dozen hits in the game before it has any detrimental effect on them...

That never happened to me, though it seems that they can take quite a few hits when using silenced weapons, which seems to be the gun equivalent of throwing sand at someone. Annoying, but it wont kill anyone. :p

When an enemy is 300 meters away and lying on the ground, they seem to get some sort of force field. Or maybe I'm only hitting them with ricochets and the bullet hits their arms constantly.

Bullets in ArmA lose energy as they travel and will do less damage at a distance. I think what was probably happening for you, though, is that you were indeed hitting them in the arms.

I've seen this too. I've put 6-8 rounds into enemies at range (~200-300m) and they don't seem to be affected. One time I put 4 rounds into a guys leg using an AK w/ PSO sight and he got up and ran away. I realize bullets loose their energy at range; but I would think something hitting your leg at several hundred feet/second would still cause major damage and incapacitate to SOME degree. Even with a "bulletproof" vest, getting shot by a 9mm would put most people on the ground (without life-threatening injuries) because they still cause internal damage (bruising, broken ribs, wind knocked out of you, etc.)

I hate shooting someone and seeing blood fly but they just keep on running like they got stung by a bee or something

I've also seen a lot of times enemies take one hit in the leg from closer ranges and fall over dead instantly. In fact I probably have more instant kills from leg shots then from any other part of the body...very confusing lol

Edited by No Use For A Name

I've seen this too. I've put 6-8 rounds into enemies at range (~200-300m) and they don't seem to be affected. One time I put 4 rounds into a guys leg using an AK w/ PSO sight and he got up and ran away. I realize bullets loose their energy at range; but I would think something hitting your leg at several hundred feet/second would still cause major damage and incapacitate to SOME degree. Even with a "bulletproof" vest, getting shot by a 9mm would put most people on the ground (without life-threatening injuries) because they still cause internal damage (bruising, broken ribs, wind knocked out of you, etc.)

I hate shooting someone and seeing blood fly but they just keep on running like they got stung by a bee or something

I've also seen a lot of times enemies take one hit in the leg from closer ranges and fall over dead instantly. In fact I probably have more instant kills from leg shots then from any other part of the body...very confusing lol

because legs are a good target, take a bucket put two hols in the bottom close the holes.

fill water inside

than make a test open only the one hole and look how the water leaves. and close.

then open both.

The bucket is you body and water is blood.

In your legs are the main arteries when you lose both then you are dead nothing can help you.

Or something like this test was going, dont remember really but the story tels you that you are a bucket that shudnt get holes or you are empty.

Protect you legs.

I understand but you're not going to instantly die from getting shot in the leg. At the very least you should bleed out and wait for a medic. Especially when sometimes it takes 2 or 3 hits to the chest to kill

The damage system is definitely in need for some massive improvements. The Arma 2 soldier is about as durable as the COD soldier, minus the "wait 5 seconds and get healed to full". Also getting wounded seems to affect aim the same way stamina loss affects aim, which really shouldn't be the case (effects should be different, but currently in both you'll get that "jerky aim" effect). And of course body armor is not implemented in any shape or form, at best it is "simulated" by giving the soldier more damage resistance...

The "armor" in the difficulty is afaik simply more HP as well. Hardly something you can use to fine-tune the realism.

To answer the topic, no they do not work. Armor is not simulated, neither on tanks or body plates.

Well, it does, insofar as units with a higher armour rating are harder to kill and 'intimidate' the AI more.

To answer the topic, no they do not work. Armor is not simulated, neither on tanks or body plates.

how are armor values not working on vehicles particularly tanks ?

It's not really "armor" value, it's more like a "hit point" value. Armor prevents damage (within its limitations, which are not necessarily "fail after X damage is prevented", in fact it never is), hit points tell you how much more damage is needed until you die. The game is using "hit points" which is very lame. The fact they actually bothered to separate the tanks to different parts, each having their own "hit points", is not really helping matters much.