Sign in to follow this  
an_enlarged_stomach

semi realistic games

I played it a few months ago and just like the old Rainbows, it's really just obsolete and the only reason why they were fun to play is that there was nothing better at the time and we had to make do. The AI pretty much cheats with its sharpshooting and cognitive skills and the weapon accuracy system blows. If those games were released now, they'd be rated mediocre at best even if they had modern graphics.

Yet the AI moves better tactically then ArmA2's ;)

Just try them out, find a 3 man patrol and as a sniper (from a safe distance) just shoot a single soldier. Now notice how one soldier kneels down and gives suppressive fire into your general direction (if you keep firing, eventually they will pinpoint you, usually after the second shot or so) while the other remaining soldier runs for cover.

Now also take note that AI uses shadows, if there is no hard cover to be found. They will run up to a bush or tree and lie down (make a smallest target as possible) in the shadows (further decreases visibility).

This soldier will then take over covering fire while the first soldier runs for cover as well.

This is pretty visible in general if your a sniper and you have your eyes on target, but if your a regular soldier and you lose sight of the remaining 2 guys after you kill someone, good luck trying to find them before they blow your brains out.

The only downfall this AI has is that they are reacting to fast in close quarters combat, they were designed more for open ground combat, just like OPF was. Only difference is that in OFP, CQC AI sucked, in GR, it's too good. I love GR, but really, clearing out a house is a fucking hell if you dont have handgrenades or an M203 to shoot through a window at a distance.

The game (as well as the old Rainbow Six games) were a lot of fun, and still are a lot of fun now, they haven't gone obsolete.

I still play them, still love them, which has nothing to do with nostalgia. If i had games that did stuff better then those, i would play them instead.

You can argue that ArmA 2 does open combat better, but Ghost Recon's AI is not to be messed with, but feared. That is something which is a bit lacking in ArmA 2.

Edited by SiC-Disaster

Ghost Recon remains a really great game, the best of its genre even now for me.

Each time i play some missions and mods with it i am always amazed by the great AI and the fabulous atmosphere.

The same as OFP, it is a permanent resident on my hardrive and i continue to play it with great fun.

Hi

Are there any games that contain some realism (ballistics, smart ai, wounding system), but are fast paced?

Thanks.

stalker shadow of chernyblor....chernobly.....oh whatever

stalker shadow of chernyblor....chernobly.....oh whatever

Talk about failing education systems... :D

Anyway, try Vietcong. The coop was a lot of fun.

I agree with Celery that AI somewhat ruins Ghost Recon.

More inaccuracy for both sides + smaller (=more human) reaction time for AI and game might have made my favorite game, same problem with first Rainbow Six games. And overall i want' too pleased with mission design, missions generally consisted about 10 short seperate skirmishes (AI just stood there passively and waited for player to come). Then again generated quick missions player as defender were hectic :cool:

Sometimes i had blast with game when AI started to use suppressive fire in heavy volumes and i as player didn't have much other options than hide behind cover and either wait for fire to cease or seek safe route to change position. But overall that happened too rarely, i think that i faced that kind situation two-three times over original campaign.

Mods weren't that special, tried few and didn't get anything out from them. Still sometimes i regret that i sold Ghost Recon's CDs away.

You are clear about your question?

I think you are just joking with people or posted this topic for time pass.

Tell me truth so I can help you.

Give CoD4 a try, it's pretty realistic, has smart AI.

Give OPF-DR a try when it comes out :D

Edited by JW Custom

Give CoD4 a try, it's pretty realistic, has smart AI.

More like: the AI knows exactly what to do because they have only been told to do two things: stick to your assigned cover, and shoot.

And how realistic is regenerating health and grenades that give off 'warning i'm here to blow you up'-signs?:p

I`m currently playing PT-Boats. It`s basically a dumped down simulation, where realism has been sacrificed for what i'd call "no hassle instant action". It has some extra features like a small tactical map, enabling the player to command other assets like destroyers, cruisers, other PT-Boats that are available in a mission etc.. The implementation is rather shallow, as is system simulation of the boats itself, but it's fun nonetheless. Missions so far are varied, like evacuating the crew of a U-Boat that has been just raided by enemy PT-Boats, trying to steal documents and crypto code, scouting for for a larger hunter/killer group, on to direct attacks. Using DX10 graphics do look rather nice, especially particle effects when firing weapons are quite an eyecatcher. The sea looks good, the downside being that there appears to be only a single sea-state. Even if the briefing states foul weather, the sea always appear to be calm.

Other than this, if you're only into tactical shooter type of games, how about R6 up to Raven Shield.

The Stalker series is amazing with the A-Life technology, look into it.

Only patched and modded, otherwise you are just fighting endless respawning waves of enemies. :p

Only patched and modded, otherwise you are just fighting endless respawning waves of enemies. :p

That couldn't be further from the truth... The games do not work that way, do not lie to everyone because you may or may not like a game, it's wrong. You will never, ever, fight endless waves of enemies, the game logic doesn't work that way, it could never happen. Each faction has their own stats depending how well they do (ie the area's they control give them more resources and recruits) in trying to take areas from other factions, and they ONLY spawn inside their own base depending on the amount of area they have taken, when they take an area, they gain resources, and squads, and those squads may have to travel actual, in-game MILES just to get to where they're needed most, which may not always be where you are. If you haven't joined a faction, it's not even a concern. They have a very specific number of squads which you can see in your pda, when you look at your map, look at the stats tab. This game is NOT what you're suggesting, in fact it's more accurate in controlling the amount of enemies than Arma II is, and I bow down to Arma II, but GSC are no joke, and their programmers implemented some of the most incredible AI ever seen in a game, their A-Life system. NPC's capable of making soo many decisions it will blow your mind. Read up on it, and play more than 5 minutes of the game. I've seen NPC's in these games do incredible things, and it's been improved even further, multi-core support has helped to keep more NPC's online rather than offline, and upgrade their offline capabilities. Stalker is a living world, you make it sound like BF2 spawn camping or something...

I have the feeling you attacked the military, which is the only faction that has an incredible amount of resources and are not to be "fuked" with, pardon my french. If you did this, they weren't endless, they were MANY, and you're in serious trouble! My bad for a long post but this is a lie and happens to be my favorite franchise of all time.

Edit: You're right about the patches, each of the two were a little buggy at release, and recently those in charge of debugging were fired when GSC found out they were out sourcing the job. As far as the mods, like any game they can make it better, but it's not to say a game isn't great without it.

Edited by Rhammstein

Dont tell me what STALKER was supposed to be, i played it thoroughly though i didnt fully enjoy it because of the small playing area. But everything else (Athmosphere, AI, ..) was perfect in my mind after it was patched.

But man.. Just install the game, dont patch, walk to that very nice looking big rusty hanger, win the fight there, walk towards that old tunnel/trains and kill everyone there. Now try to stay there without being attacked by bandits for 2 hours straight. :p

I wasnt the only one who complained about this, and it was fixed afterwards but IMO STALKER without patches was a disappointment. (And i also wanted some mods for more weapon damage/accuracy, otherwise it felt like everyone was shooting with plastic toyguns, but that is a personal choice)

Dont tell me what STALKER was supposed to be, i played it thoroughly though i didnt fully enjoy it because of the small playing area. But everything else (Athmosphere, AI, ..) was perfect in my mind after it was patched.

But man.. Just install the game, dont patch, walk to that very nice looking big rusty hanger, win the fight there, walk towards that old tunnel/trains and kill everyone there. Now try to stay there without being attacked by bandits for 2 hours straight. :p

I wasnt the only one who complained about this, and it was fixed afterwards but IMO STALKER without patches was a disappointment. (And i also wanted some mods for more weapon damage/accuracy, otherwise it felt like everyone was shooting with plastic toyguns, but that is a personal choice)

Damn. I need to get da patchez (and i though i have fully patched version!?!?!?!?).

My experience from Stalker was that increased damage does bad for game. AI isn't enough fast or smart for that kind of fighting, game gets a lot easier.

It could have been great game. But too small playing area, too canalized terrain and too unfinished and i'm not talking about bugs: You can see how great plans dev-team had for it and just how mind blowing game it had potential to be. But i enjoyed it enough to play it thru twice, not bad game, not bad at all.

Edited by Second

"Don't tell me what Stalker was supposed to be" First, I was waiting for this game to come out for 4 years, delay after delay. I read everything there was to be read, every interview, and I especially studied the A-Life technology, which will finally be fully implemented in Call of Pripyat. I think I know well enough what it was expected to be, and what it was and is and where it's headed.

Dude if you attack an outpost they're going to send reinforcements, you expect a "Factoin" to just let you take the area's they fought for? And they will send as many squads as they feel necessary to maintain that outpost. I know where you're talking about, and its an important point for the bandits, they will work very hard to keep it. And they will lose squads and resources more and more if they kept doing it. Why in the world you or anyone else chose to take out a few bandits then sit there and bake a cake and watch a movie, come back and find yourself in trouble is beyond me.

I admit the game was buggy, they tried to do soo much too fast, but this next game they're not outsourcing, they're doing it themselves, all the debugging. I was only frustrated by one comment, the "endless" waves, it's BS, look at the stats, if they were to just keep sending units as you say, over a short time they would lose so many men, you would see Stalkers coming out and heading everywhere to fight for outposts, and win, because the Bandits wasted so many squads. I'm nearly certain I know where you speak of..hangar, I dunno, but if it's the lookout point, they need that badly, they use it to spy on Clear Sky. If you're talking about Shoc, you must be reffering too the last outpost past the Stalker neutral base. The "Garbage" area is bandit territory, they have over 200 men there, and only about 7 outposts to cover, if you don't work with the Stalkers and go rambo like you're doing, you're gonna hate this game. It's not Crysis, it's not Half Life 2, you will need support.

As far as the guns, most people loves how incredible the ballistics were, although two guns had an issue with damage, which was fixed in a patch. These things happen when you have what, nearly 100 different weapons?

Not the kind of game for you.

Edited by Rhammstein

*wall of text hits you for 4 damage*

I dont have a clue what you are defending, i never said that i didnt like them retaking their old positions, i just said that i encountered a bug and advised the guy not to play the unpatched version. Just like i do with ArmA2.

EDIT: And i did really fight next to the hanger for over an hour, i am not overreacting. I wanted to walk back but i couldnt because i kept encountering enemies, in the end i just made run for it.

Edited by NeMeSiS