Sign in to follow this  
thedudesam

Zombies. PLEASE if you can make this.

Ok we all know, how awesome ArmA2 is right?

We all know how fun coop is right?

What about putting zombies in the mix! :D

Now, im not talking about uggggh slow resident evil zombies, im talking about zombies from 28 days later etc (or infected if your that pedantic).

Imagine, you and a team being dropped off in a town thinking your facing an insurgent threat, when suddenly on the horrizon, 200 or so zombies are racing down towards your position.

Man i think the whole immersion that ArmA2 already has will go hand in hand with making a shit scary zombie game.

All the previous zombie mods in OFP/ArmA1 basically used the same method to get the zombies to their targets: Constantly forcing the domove command on them to get them to their targets and when they are close enough playing an animation/sound and giving some damage to the target. The details could be different but you couldnt really do this in a different way.

In ArmA2, the domove command no langer lets units run in an almost straight line towards the intended target. Instead the whole microAI business kicks in and the 'zombies' carry out elaborate cover and flanking manouvres. no matter what i tried (waypoints, dofollow, ...), i couldnt get them to their targets within a reasonable amount of time using the old method.

Now, this behaviour may be .fsm related in which case we can disable it for the zombies, or it is pathfinding related in which case it is hardcoded and we have to come up with an entirely different method.

(Or we ask BI to make a command like setUnitPosWeak but for domove which would be used in .fms and overridable with the normal domove command or something)

All the previous zombie mods in OFP/ArmA1 basically used the same method to get the zombies to their targets: Constantly forcing the domove command on them to get them to their targets and when they are close enough playing an animation/sound and giving some damage to the target. The details could be different but you couldnt really do this in a different way.

In ArmA2, the domove command no langer lets units run in an almost straight line towards the intended target. Instead the whole microAI business kicks in and the 'zombies' carry out elaborate cover and flanking manouvres. no matter what i tried (waypoints, dofollow, ...), i couldnt get them to their targets within a reasonable amount of time using the old method.

Now, this behaviour may be .fsm related in which case we can disable it for the zombies, or it is pathfinding related in which case it is hardcoded and we have to come up with an entirely different method.

(Or we ask BI to make a command like setUnitPosWeak but for domove which would be used in .fms and overridable with the normal domove command or something)

Well you sound as if your halfway to making a decent "Zombie mod".

I think the "smart zombies" idea is a good one if im honest, intelligence + superhuman strength and speed = MUCH scarier than stupid, weak and slow zombies.

Shouldn`t this request go in the Mods section??? I mean,no offence, but I personally want this game to remain a milsim. If someone wants to do a Mod, all the power to em.

Sorry yeah, i was talking about a MOD more than changing arma2.

But an additional mode of zombie would be cool, optional so it won't harm the main game.

Now, im not talking about uggggh slow resident evil zombies, im talking about zombies from 28 days later etc (or infected if your that pedantic).

Yes ... yes indeed ... that will be the most awesome mod of all time.

But yeah, only problem I see is the AI going all tactical and taking cover/leaning around corners :(

28 weeks later had THE BEST zombies/infected of all time. Ever.

I know we all have different tastes, and that this is not the place to criticize your tastes, but I really really have to voice my opinion.

IMO shooting hordes of zombies is no more fun than shooting up a crowd of unarmed civilians. Actually IMO shooting civilians is more fun because they actually react when you shoot them...

I just don't get what so many people find fun about shooting up zombies (especially in ArmA2 where there aren't any cool gore effects to make up for it)... since apparently they are pretty popular. To me it just seems tedious/boring...

That said, I also believe in being free to implement whatever your heart desires in modding/mission making. If people want zombies, let them have zombies. I just doubt I'll have anythign to do with it.

I know we all have different tastes, and that this is not the place to criticize your tastes, but I really really have to voice my opinion.

IMO shooting hordes of zombies is no more fun than shooting up a crowd of unarmed civilians. Actually IMO shooting civilians is more fun because they actually react when you shoot them...

I just don't get what so many people find fun about shooting up zombies (especially in ArmA2 where there aren't any cool gore effects to make up for it)... since apparently they are pretty popular. To me it just seems tedious/boring...

That said, I also believe in being free to implement whatever your heart desires in modding/mission making. If people want zombies, let them have zombies. I just doubt I'll have anythign to do with it.

It's that feeling of teamwork, and the tension that only zombies can bring.

Teamwork?

I've never seen any teamwork in any zombie game... then again I don't play them. Still don't see it though...

Let me also say this. As someone who is studying game development, zombie games lack a lot of the qualities (from what I can conclude from what I am tought and what I observe) that make a "good game".

Edited by Big Dawg KS

Ooold post by the look of it, but there's been interesting debate all over about zombies, it's a shame about the AI, if it could be taken advantage of you could have zombies in the woods at night time, waiting for one of you to get seperated from your team because you saw a "shadow" and thought you were being flanked, next thing you know there's 10 around you and you're on your own... it's a shame we couldn't take advantage of the medic pose in some way, (make it look like they pull you down and start biting you to death) so if one gets close enough, it's just over... (death screen) (maybe timed, 10 seconds for your mates to get it off etc..)

The "Viral" zombie Idea is cool too, your in on a random OP, a bomb goes off somewhere on the island, some weird reports from HQ, then just screaming and moaning over the radio... you end up ditching it coz it weirds you out... you drive to the local town, and there are weird sights everywhere, crashed cars, housefires, (general destruction in most places) like the people have gone... nuts... but there are none... could be multi choice... head back to hq, find out what happened, stick around the town and try and figure out where everyone is (night time becomes a run for your life, but where can you go?) and so on... Why you're not infected, and won't become infected aren't all that important.. and can be explained away with some random drug you had to take before you entered the area, of course you weren't told why it was important, maybe one of your crew didn't take it... and you find in the first night he turns... maybe fires on you (though wildly innacurate) and destroys your vehicle.

The scare of zombies is you can't kill them all (too many, not enough ammo, etc and so on, too much movement to effectively headshot so many while constantly maintaining cover/retreating), headshots should be all that does it. and as someone mentioned, without being able to blow limbs off, and watch the bastards crawling at you relentlessly the atmosphere will be ... off.

the crowds should be huge and relentless (relative to population size) and whether fast or slow, when they begin chasing, they never stop following.

You character however, can collapse from carrying too much weight (thanks ACE), CAN need food, and water, and maybe medical attention (keep that corpsman alive and maintain finding him supplies too) if you find a vehicle that they haven't destroyed, it's going to need fuel, repairs.

It's a shame about the limitations, I don't even know or understand fully what they all are, I'd like to move into learning these things in the future.

I've started on vertex modelling, texturing etc, I'm interested in creating game content, I'm also interested in composing music for games, these kind of topics get me excited so I'm sorry if I've just raved like a rabid animal! :)

I don't mind "zombies" in the sense of looking like tortured prisoners etc (like those from prisoner camp in last episode of Band of Brothers). Those might have a purpose in use in "zombie games" without addons, so... Feel free to add them. But the "concept of actual zombies"? No thanks, not in a realistic game.

Zombies mod with no night vision and the new flashlights coming in OA will be sweet!!!