Sign in to follow this  
LeftSkidLow

Pitch/Roll Rates of Helicopters

Has anyone else noticed the dramatically decreased pitch up/down and roll rates in the helicopters. I find myself flying the UH-60 like its ARMA1 and the damn thing can't even hold altitude sometimes in a steep turn, or negotiate trees and power lines at low level and high speed.

Is this realistic... absolutely not! First of all you don't really need much aft cyclic to hold the nose up when turning a helicopters compared to fixed wing. I have accepted this fact as a limitation to engine but now having a less responsive helicopter makes its a lot harder to accept.

The other reason this isn't realistic is that if you yanked in full aft cyclic to the stops in a helicopter, its going to respond so fast you will be upside down in the blink of an eye and probably be missing your tail boom.

So why was this changed? It was OK in ArmA1, sure it makes the helicopters a little more twitchy but thats realistic and I most arma players are here because of realism.

Has anyone else noticed the dramatically decreased pitch up/down and roll rates in the helicopters. I find myself flying the UH-60 like its ARMA1 and the damn thing can't even hold altitude sometimes in a steep turn, or negotiate trees and power lines at low level and high speed.

Is this realistic... absolutely not! First of all you don't really need much aft cyclic to hold the nose up when turning a helicopters compared to fixed wing. I have accepted this fact as a limitation to engine but now having a less responsive helicopter makes its a lot harder to accept.

The other reason this isn't realistic is that if you yanked in full aft cyclic to the stops in a helicopter, its going to respond so fast you will be upside down in the blink of an eye and probably be missing your tail boom.

So why was this changed? It was OK in ArmA1, sure it makes the helicopters a little more twitchy but thats realistic and I most arma players are here because of realism.

I have the same, sometimes I just can't correct after a sharp turn and drop out of the sky.

Besides that I think the illusion of speed in the air is quite disappointing. It is more like a heatballon.

bah I knew this would be one of those issues not that many people care about.

I agree. Felt very heavy to fly the 60.

Really enjoy the Mi-28 by the community atm. Very nice.

Oh, it's cared about. It's just that the flight models of both rotary and fixed wing aircraft has been debated to death already and it's been agreed on that there's lots to improve. Question is if or when BIS does it.

Can we please get an A2 CIT ticket with solid bullet point like info. Thanks!

The sink rate of helos and planes on a sharp turn is absolutely fine...... nothing broken in my opinion.

Learn to cope with the weight of the machine and adapt. The only time you should be making REALLY sharp turns in a jet is in a dogfight ! Sharp turns should be used for choppers wanting a FAST turn around in a combat zone.

The sink rate of helos and planes on a sharp turn is absolutely fine...... nothing broken in my opinion.

I was referring to the amount of sink you experience when pulling out of even the shallowest dive and not just in helicopters. I have had a couple of incidents where a harrier has just completely failed to change direction. If a plane really behaved like that in real life it wouldn't be allowed to fly.

I agree with Kremator that the sink in a turn is generally fine to a point, there are however times where you need manouverability or lift that just isn't there for some inexplicable reason. All aircraft lose energy far too quickly when doing anything other than level flight imo

I think maybe it was made this way to make flying a little easier. I find it much easier to hover in place now.

Wait, so were they changed in 1.03?

I agree. Felt very heavy to fly the 60.

Really enjoy the Mi-28 by the community atm. Very nice.

I hear you, mate, it is indeed a nice bird!

I was referring to the amount of sink you experience when pulling out of even the shallowest dive and not just in helicopters. I have had a couple of incidents where a harrier has just completely failed to change direction. If a plane really behaved like that in real life it wouldn't be allowed to fly.

I agree with Kremator that the sink in a turn is generally fine to a point, there are however times where you need manouverability or lift that just isn't there for some inexplicable reason. All aircraft lose energy far too quickly when doing anything other than level flight imo

Agreed.I found that the Cobra has a tendency to drop out of the sky like a bag of Hammers when doing a high speed strafing run.

Wasn't this an issue in arma1 before they patched it? It's disappointing to hear these problems with the flight model - it's like a repeat of arma 1 - why not just take what they had in arma?

bah I knew this would be one of those issues not that many people care about.

Not at all - as a virtual pilot a better flight model would be fantastic (in fact whay don't they make a chopper sim using the arma 2 terrain - it's begging for it ;))

Obviously a full on flight model is not going to happen (yet) but something a little better really sounds like it's needed.