Sign in to follow this  
lt_darkman

Analogue Throttle

I can’t believe this is what they went for when they set out to appease the flyboys.

50% brakes on an aircraft? Seriously? And still the â€set altitude†on choppers.

How it ought to be is pretty much given:

0-100% throttle for fixed wing,

A button for airbrakes/wheelbrakes.

0-100% Collective for rotary aircraft.

I mean BF2 managed decent controls, even if the flight characteristics were on the arcadey side.

And it worked well for stick and mouse/KB users both. So it can be done.

It’s not that it is impossible to fly the aircraft, it just more fun when the controls are good.

Having control of the aircraft in a direct manner gives a lot more pleasure, and that’s why we play games after all..

Please, fix this again, and do it right this time around.

Just set your throttle at the bottom of its travel, select the Thrust (Analogue) and push the throttle up. It automatically configures thrust up to throttle up and thrust down to throttle down, which is "the same system for throttle as any other flight sim."

Now where is my "That Was Easy" button... ;)

p.s. Did you know that you can also set the sensitivity of each of the controllers' axes? Select Options, Controls, Controller and then Customize. This may also provide some help with your thrust problems.

p.p.s. Placebo - I'm thinking this one probably belongs in Troubleshooting.

Does not work.

Throttle only functions in analogue in the top 50% range of movement for planes. This is totally unsatisfactory.

Throttle does not function at all for choppers. This is utterly beyond any rational explanation.

Playing around with sensitivity makes sweet FA difference.

EDIT: post above by MoonDawg has it right. To quote - Arma 2 must have:

"0-100% throttle for fixed wing,

0-100% Collective for rotary aircraft."

You know. Like every other game with aircraft every released since the dawn of computing....

Edited by Flouncy

Gaaa! You guys have jinxed me. I did seem to have analogue throttle control on choppers, messed around with controller settings a bit and now it is broken. My throttle does not respond at all in game now. :(

There does appear to be some funky going on. A hot fix would be nice but I'm not gonna hold my breath. If they do fix it, I'm inclined to think it will not arrive until the next full patch.

Such a disappointment - when it was working for me earlier it was brilliant.

Edited by KaBoNG

this analogue thrust is only useful for those with a real throttle then? :(

So i take it there will be a hotfix soon enough. Its at least implemeted even though not perect yet. Kinda like a lot of things - but it will get there. Patience young padawans. :)

I waited for this as well and i might wait with plugging my HOTAS in then. Cause i also want the auto rudder wobble fixed wich i hope BIS will work out soon.

Alex

As a side note, it'd be nice to have some kind of ingame display of what % throttle we're actually at, rather than guessing... just to make sure the position of the throttle on my stick actually IS correlating to the ingame throttle position.

As a side note, it'd be nice to have some kind of ingame display of what % throttle we're actually at, rather than guessing... just to make sure the position of the throttle on my stick actually IS correlating to the ingame throttle position.

Would be nice, wouldn't hold my breath though. :D

Gaaa! You guys have jinxed me. I did seem to have analogue throttle control on choppers, messed around with controller settings a bit and now it is broken. My throttle does not respond at all in game now. :(

There does appear to be some funky going on. A hot fix would be nice but I'm not gonna hold my breath. If they do fix it, I'm inclined to think it will not arrive until the next full patch.

Such a disappointment - when it was working for me earlier it was brilliant.

It's working fine for me for both planes and choppers. I tried mapping it to thrust/brake (analogue) but that actually gave me digital controls. Try mapping it to the normal thrust/brake and it works fine (0-50 being brake and 50-100 thrust).

Very dissapointed. Mapped throttle analouge to my x52 throttle axis - nothing happens. Only works if I also map the increase thrust and decrease thrust controls. As stated earlier here, really, how hard is to have throttle providing 0-100% of thrust? I hate to be negetive but did someone try this feature out before they released the patch? What are the beta testers doing? *sigh*.

Very dissapointed. Mapped throttle analouge to my x52 throttle axis - nothing happens. Only works if I also map the increase thrust and decrease thrust controls. As stated earlier here, really, how hard is to have throttle providing 0-100% of thrust? I hate to be negetive but did someone try this feature out before they released the patch? What are the beta testers doing? *sigh*.

WE are the betatesters :bounce3:

Throttle didn't work for me either. It's kind of more difficult to keep a VTOL hovering in analogue and it won't work in the helo. So i switched back.

I've the same problem, .....

It's working fine for me for both planes and choppers. I tried mapping it to thrust/brake (analogue) but that actually gave me digital controls. Try mapping it to the normal thrust/brake and it works fine (0-50 being brake and 50-100 thrust).

Actually, it seems like its working in both for me as well, I didnt remap anything I just ran the game after the patch.

EDIT: Nevermind it doesn't work, I was being dumb, I have the same problems as the OP.

Edited by LeftSkidLow

This was a really crappy fix, and the one I was most exited for since I don't think any BIS game has had analog throttle, just speed controlled throttle. However they missed the mark big time.

F-35 experience:

After flying at speed, it is just about impossible to slow down to hover speed without doing "Auto-Hover On" which you never had to do before when converting from convention to STOVL flight. It's really stupid and silly converting now...I know.

Due to the fact that Throttle is only truly mapped to the top-half of your throttle axis requires that very small throttle control movement = large throttle change. It's really silly, in STOVL mode a light movement either causes enough thrust to mantain altitude from either falling from the sky or sky rocketing upward. It's really ridiculous, they should map the WHOLE throttle axis to throttle...not just one half. Horrible jerry-rigged fix.

MV-22:

Same as F-35 but even worse when it comes to throttle movement you either drop from the sky or hover...no medium at all.

A-10 and C-130:

This is where the throttle works like it should (althought only half the throttle!) But it's nice having full control over the engine now in fixed wing conventional aircraft in forward flight.

Generally, Brake and Throttle should be able to be controlled independently (on separate axis) For example, you should be able to have full afterburning throttle but have full brakes as well. These analog schemes they came up with makes me think they don't really have anyone who has any basic knowledge of aircraft.

You should also have some kind of feedback given back to the user on what their throttle position is. Can BIS even get this small thing done right the first time? Apparently not, which is why I can see why there has been such little improvement (except in graphics) from OFP.

Helicopter experience:

This is even worse, they didn't even fix the problem, which makes you remap when you fly helicopters to work with the old scheme.

This is absolutely the worst thing to do. You shouldn't have included it if you didn't fix it for both helos and fixed wing alike.

This is just dissapointing and whoever did this fix failed on their contribution towards the patch.

certain aircraft don't work properly with it, which I would like fixed, however I would also like when they fix it to implement it in the control of ground vehicles in a way which would allow me to use my racing wheel and pedals to full effect in ground vehicles.

I just tested this with my CH pro throttle, and there are essentially two changes which will make this feature usable:

1. Analog thrust maps to %100 of an axis, brake maps to %100 of another axis

2. Works with every air vehicle including helicopters

2 makes this unusable with the vast majority of throttles as they cannot switch between multiple input modes - and reconfiguring their single input in the controls gets old fast.

1 is the reason I won't be using it, even though it only takes a button press.

The simple fact that analogue throttle does not affect rotocraft, added with the fact that the old AI-driven throttle overrides the analogue one, means that this whole effort in making direct throttle is a fail...

the way it is, unless you have 2 joysticks, you need to remap your controls every time you want to switch from a heli to a plane!!

this whole fix is a complete fail until they do something about it... I was really looking forward for this feature above anything else... now I¡m just disappointed...

I've made the most out of it anyways... I mapped the analogue throttle to the thumb rotary switch on my X52... I use it as a taxiing throttle

I really hope a fix comes along shortly

Cheers

Little bump, but it's for a good reason.

I just want to say thank you to Bohemia Interactive for listening to the community and at least making an effort to implement the throttle, even if it wasn't perfect out of the box. It must be so disheartening to add a new feature out of the goodness of your hearts, after the game has already been produced and sold and seeing no further profit, and have it thrown back in your face.

Eagerly awaiting the next patch!

I'm all for giving props for a job well done. But this is a shameful failure.

Scenario 1: BIS tested this analogue config and thought it was a great job, release.

Scenario 2: BIS did not test this config at all, and shoved it out.

Am I missing any other possible scenarios?

Pitiful attempt BIS. Please, do a proper job next time. As my Dad always says - "do it once, do it well". This patch fix is hardly a major code rework. 5 minutes of testing is all you need to do to satisfy hundreds of thousands of users, who will spend cumulative bloody billions of hours using this feature (exaggeration for effect). Or are we cutting into coffee break time here boys?

PLEASE FIX NOW.

Still love you.

As a CH hotas user I can make this work perfectly with planes. 100% throttle and independent toebrakes.

I can do some workarounds to get it working on choppers by using the "increase/decrease" throttle, but it will take some scripting and tweaking and I dont have time for that now.

Regardless an analogue fix for choppers are needed (if not for the non CH users..).

Eagerly awaiting the next patch!

And the next... and the next... and.... ArmAIII(patched to V1.08beta)?

No excuses for not having this feature working from the beginning.

MfG Lee

I think this is one of the things that BI seems to have a closed mind on and cannot think out of the box,(i mean like FLIR, javalin, car control, team control, aiming problems, AI, bug fixing, ETC), which is very important from player POV. I just dont want to sound like saying "how hard can it be" because i know it is not easy, but this is still something that they really have to do because we all depenced on BI to fix the game.

Just set your throttle at the bottom of its travel, select the Thrust (Analogue) and push the throttle up. It automatically configures thrust up to throttle up and thrust down to throttle down, which is "the same system for throttle as any other flight sim."

At least on the x52 this assigns the throttle to Z+ axis. Which is what most people are complaining about(add me to the list). Which means you can only use half of the throw of the throttle.

0-100% throttle for fixed wing,

0-100% Collective for rotary aircraft.

Totally agree, but my assumption is in code "collective" is "thrust", so it (in my theory) just be one change for all "air" vehicles. Again, as others have mentioned, and you eluded to the problem is the z axis is split into two(or whatever axis you choose).

All I can say is trying to land a uh1 by having my throttle "tap" increase/decrease thrust sucks and is far from ultimate military sim.

Love the game though :yay:

I have a complete CH HOTAS setup and have been spending quite a bit of time with choppers in the game and am finding the current system acceptable. My perception is that the throttle is not a simple height setting. Just try going to full throttle and nosing over - you lose altitude and, once you pick up speed, if you ease back on the nose it will remain at the lower height as long as you maintain your forward speed.

Fixed wing control is a different matter though and I agree it is broken. You should not be engaging the brakes when you pull back on the throttle. Hope to see this sorted in the 1.04 patch.

You should not be engaging the brakes when you pull back on the throttle. Hope to see this sorted in the 1.04 patch.

As a CH Hotas user you dont have that problem. Just assign the break to your toe brakes. Works fine for me.