Sign in to follow this  
-RIP- Luhgnut

Tell me this didn't just happen.

remember this, it takes no skill to camp,anyone can do it. It does, however, take skill to advance and capture whilest getting kills

Edited by Shinobi575

remember this, it takes no skill to camp,anyone can doi. It does, however, take skill to advance and capture whilest getting kills

Are you still on about CTF? Or in general? If your talking about Arma in general you don't sound like you should be playing this game...

Okay [=DD=] Luhgnut, let me tell you a story about AI and how I've decided right then that I won't say anything bad about AI in A2 anymore.

There were three of us (squadbuddies) and we played a small coop mission where you have to defend a village from a much stronger AI force. We knew that AI attacks with 2 mi-24s first and then tries to push inside by T-72 and 2 x BTR-90 via the main road. So buddy and I set up a large mine field protecting the entrance to the village, basically AI would just land on a mine after mine ;)

Meanwhile we've managed to down both Mi-24s and this T-72 is now right in front of the "ambush alley" and us two waiting in a safe distance two houses away. T-72 stopped and then hit a empty pickup and pushed(!) this pickup across(!) the minefield we set up!!! Of course this poor car somehow got all the damage from the mines and burned like hell and AI's dumped it by the side of the road... (pic here) and soon killed us off with all the support of infantry and BTRs at the back :o ... we've had to restart a mission and use satchels ;)

Edited by IceBreakr

The other night in a Co-Op multi game the fog rolled in and we couldn't see anything, that didn't stop the enemy BMP from picking us off from a few hundred metres away as soon as someone moved from cover.

Are you still on about CTF? Or in general? If your talking about Arma in general you don't sound like you should be playing this game...

yes, i'm still on about CTF; that seems to be the only game i have problem with campers :p

As the good old Army Field Manual has always said. If your attacking a defended Urban area there are a few key points, 1. Isoltation, don't give the defenders the ability to move and avoid your attack. Weaken the coherence of the defence and restrict or manipulate their maneuverability. 2. Persistent Surveillance. Constant updating information of enemy positions and maneuvers. Giving you the ability to attack a threat as it relocates. 3. Fire Support. Artillery, Aircraft, Heavy Armour. You need the ability to attack embedded positions. So campers aren't the problem, you just don't know how to attack the flags. Read the US Army Field Manual, it's a simulation of Modern Warfare and the Army Field Manual teaches you the tricks of Modern Warfare. AI won't know what hit them.

remember this, it takes no skill to camp,anyone can do it. It does, however, take skill to advance and capture whilest getting kills
Why, if noone is defending the target? You seem to forget that like RL, strategy is more important than your actual shooting skill.

anyone including my self can camp, camping is not strategy, its nothing but earning points for kills, when you should be caping the flags

anyone including my self can camp, camping is not strategy, its nothing but earning points for kills, when you should be caping the flags

Camping is a tactic though. Someone has to defend the flag. Or if he wasn't defending the flag he was still doing a good job by preventing you from getting to it, especially if you were pissed off about so much you took it out over here.

If you get killed by a "camper", they succeeded in what they set out to do, you failed in what you set out to do. In military jargon, that is commonly referred to as victory.

If no one is actively attempting to prevent the opposition from taking their flag, there is a serious shortcoming in the planning/leadership department.

hehe what ever you guys say :D it wont change the fact that i still hate campers

I used to hate the guys who jumped around with SAWs and stuff in delta force games so I know what you mean. At least camping is some what realistic though. The funny thing is both can be solved by a well placed m203 round.

Maybe the UAV overhead saw you ;) or the AC130 maybe? Or maybe the AI is simply messed up...bingo!

They could have possibly targeted you before they started gunning it. Who knows, maybe they had other AI around that spotted you before. A

lso, I think your still designated as a target even while the engine is off. Your just marked in 'white' instead of red. Also enemy vehicles, even while 'white' (Or empty) sometimes cause the enemy to fire on them... Not sure why, but I've had AI blow up an empty humvee I was about to commandeer...

I think you're right, something must have been watching me or something. I redid the same thing in the simulator. Same town, same spot I was "in ambush" aka "Camping. Set up two Abrams in the town and set them on alert status. I booted out my driver (still wish you could tell your driver to shut off the engines without him turning them on). Put two spotters in the woods in stealth/do not fire mode. And waited. Both tanks started driving around I guess randomly looking for something, I dunno. Then one tank came out of town and started looking around. I didn't fire, I just wanted to watch what he would do. But here's something odd. As soon as I "targeted" (right mouse click) the tank, and the turret turned, he stopped and started moving his front armor towards me. I mean RIGHT TOWARDS ME. Then I fired. Took out a piece of him. Then the other tank naturally BEELINED for me. I jumped in the drivers seat and took off leaving my idiot driver laying on the ground. I know i could just make the mission without a driver etc, but I wanted to re-create what was going on. Maybe they saw my driver or my spotters I dunno.

That front armor turning toward me on the slightest sound has me bugged though. Gonna mess with it some more.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

Luhgnut;1389039']I'll setup the scene.

It's nighttime. I'm in a T-90 on a warfare map where I'm the only real person on atm.

I've isolated where the enemy base is. There is one road out. I'm nestled in some trees. I told the driver to get out of the tank (cause I want the engine off' date=' so I can't be heard.) I'm sitting in ambush.

I sit and wait. I go to the bathroom in real life. Have a smoke. Then, suddenly two M1A1's pop up on the map. I'm watching through commanders scope. One heads up the mountain behind me. (I have trees between him and I, and I'm down a ditch. Nothing can shoot me from behind. We'lll call him tank 1.

Tank 2 sort of takes his time coming out of town. Can't get a clear shot on him. I'm nearly 2 grids away. Suddenly tank 2 just hauls a$$ out of town. I"m watching on the map. I tell the gunner to attack him, but I can't get a target lock. The second I get a lock, he dashes out from behind some buildings. He's almost a speck to me as my turret turns, I see the flash of his cannon and he instantly fires one round into me on the move. From the flash to dead, was a good 2 second count. That's how far away I was. At first I didn't think he fired...cause from the flash to boom.... 2 full seconds.

I'm so mad, there is NO WAY that anybody could make that shot. Did he hear the sound of the turret turning? I don't get it, I just don't get it. About ready to just give this up.[/quote']

I experienced something very similar while on a different mission. Basically I tried doing just what you were. I was in a T90 sitting far far far outside of town in a nice little ambush position deep inside some woods. I had a road right in front of my field of view and a town to my right. I was using my Commander position to scan for targets without my engine starting up. As soon as I spotting a M1 in town I moved to my gunner position and started to sight in on the M1. Within a matter of seconds I fired 1 shot, missed, he turns instantly and fires... POP... dead. My issue is the speed in which the AI can detect and target something. It was as if it was instantly a window opened up showing exacally where I was.

I've noticed the same with infantry, sitting on the ground in a sniper position and I pop 1 shot at a jeep's gunner, he turns right to me and lobs 3-4 rounds of 40mm grenades at me.

i still think that it is a conspiracy, making us believe that when you open up, you must get them all with on swift move. That is good. Teaching us not to Rambo in war. Yeah, but the AI - crazy homicidal psychobitch - is a bit too calculated. I am sure i could get more Ivan tanks in real life than in this game. Those damn russkies will pay.

---------- Post added at 01:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 AM ----------

for all the shit they made us live through, sending pregnant women and eldery people to siberia(50 000)... About 10% of them returned... My grandpa got sent there because he was the mayor of a small town.. my grand grandpa, wwI veteran got sent there, he maybe blowed up a few tanks... I mean, that United Emirates of Idiots is too fucked up.

Re. the rather quick reactions of the AI. If one follows the following path from the main menu...

Main -> Options -> Game Options -> Difficulty -> Select whatever difficulty level you use -> edit

...and then set the 'Super AI' options to 'Disabled', then generally speaking, things seem to play out rather better. I initially played with Super AI (thinking that I, as one of the OFP series' longest-playing non-BIS players, would be good enough to play with it set to 'enabled') but found it to be rather too super. Since setting it to 'disabled', fights have been longer, and more realistically survivable, and the AI is less hyper-aware of everything that is going on.

Of course, if the original poster had this setting disabled by the server that he was playing on and it still happened, then I suppose that my suggestion is not much good to him. Nonetheless, this tip should help some here enjoy the game a little more, in many situations.

Edited by James McKenzie-Smith
Spelling goof. Buggeration.

When enemies are 'revealed' they must gain a little 'knowsabout' information about you.

Sounds like you need to separate your lock/zoom from reveal.

@shinobi575 for someone that has been about for AGES, how come you have only joined the forums in june 2009 ? Sounds like someone talking out of their backside !

I havent bothered with these forums until the recent release of ARMA 2, Ive been playing OFP with USI since 2001. Ask anyone from USI; and Look I don't know what i did to make u hate me so much and be so bitter towards, but you might want to stop, you wouldnt wanna get hit with the ban hammer would you ? :D

Edited by Shinobi575

i just let one of my machinegunners to play this mission where you have to take a airfield. Maybe he did not take it seriously but the first bullet killed him. Eniveis, our armys Carl Gustavs take tanks and armor in one shot and we have 2 of those in a squad.

its just a game, campers piss me off more then anything

What you cant see you cant shoot.

To the OP:

I am a tanker, and per your request, we'll do a little edification.

The M1 Abrams platform, in all its iterations, are capable of firing accurately on the move, even at full throttle. All systems, M1A1 variant included, have a thermal sight for the gunner. The M1A2 (apparently not a suspect in your issue) has a FLIR system, an advanced form of IR targetry, in addition to the thermal sight intrinsically included in the Abrams fire control system.

Considering that your vehicle had manuevered to a position to overwatch their egress from the FOB, it would intrinsically be warm, if not goddamned hot. Furthermore, it would take hours for the heat to dissipate from a metal chassis and armor system. Turning your engine off would simply not cut it. Even being in defilade (hiding in a ditch, for example) would not prevent the opponent from spotting you with thermals, especially considering that armored vehicle tactics involve scanning multiple sectors. Any exposed metal pieces, even coated in the CARC (chemical and acid resistant coating) paints that NATO and Russian forces (and other former ComBlok countries) are known to use, do not dissipate heat well enough to eliminate retained heat from hydraulics or engine activity. Furthermore, the tank commander is also responsible for calling targets and scanning the area for potential risks and targets of opportunity.

Perhaps that will shed a little bit of light on the situation for you. Thanks for your time.

To the OP:

The M1 Abrams platform, in all its iterations, are capable of firing accurately on the move, even at full throttle. All systems, M1A1 variant included, have a thermal sight for the gunner. The M1A2 (apparently not a suspect in your issue) has a FLIR system, an advanced form of IR targetry, in addition to the thermal sight intrinsically included in the Abrams fire control system.

Considering that your vehicle had manuevered to a position to overwatch their egress from the FOB, it would intrinsically be warm, if not goddamned hot. Furthermore, it would take hours for the heat to dissipate from a metal chassis and armor system. Turning your engine off would simply not cut it. Even being in defilade (hiding in a ditch, for example) would not prevent the opponent from spotting you with thermals, especially considering that armored vehicle tactics involve scanning multiple sectors. Any exposed metal pieces, even coated in the CARC (chemical and acid resistant coating) paints that NATO and Russian forces (and other former ComBlok countries) are known to use, do not dissipate heat well enough to eliminate retained heat from hydraulics or engine activity. Furthermore, the tank commander is also responsible for calling targets and scanning the area for potential risks and targets of opportunity.

Perhaps that will shed a little bit of light on the situation for you. Thanks for your time.

All this may be, and most definitely is true in real life, however I doubt that all this is taken into equation in this game. Don't quote me on it though, as I do not own ARMA or any OFP games. Just thought I'd throw my two cents in here.

To the OP:

OP here. Thank you! A friend of mine was a tanker on an Abrams. He remembers first day of introduction to the platform. Instructor said: "This machine is a killer, she doesn't care if she kills you or the enemy." He found out that this is true. Said (don't know the position) a guy had his head outiside the hull while driving and they hit a ditch at 60mph, and the turret came down and crushed his skull. He had LOTS of respect for it, and remembered the instructors words.

Could the AI actually have heard you turning the turret? From your last example, it seemed that turning the turret triggered the enemy action. Patch 1.03 is said to remove "super hearing" from the AI.