Sign in to follow this  
FINALCUT

russian vs georgian infantry battle

kinda cool.you can see some tactics at work,real war,not like BF2.very slow paced for all the kiddies to learn how to play ARMA2.dont see anyone TKing or doing a rambo rush in this now,do ya.

kinda cool.you can see some tactics at work,real war,not like BF2.very slow paced for all the kiddies to learn how to play ARMA2.dont see anyone TKing or doing a rambo rush in this now,do ya.

Rambo guys are S.Ossetians militia. Russian troops are behind the BMD in kevlar helmets.

Rambo guys are S.Ossetians militia. Russian troops are behind the BMD in kevlar helmets.

First and foremost, you're absolutely correct. Those were indeed Ossetian Militia and not Russian troops doing most of the fighting seen in the video. Also, to the OP, as a long-time military man, I didn't see any "tactics" utilized what so ever. I did however witness a lot of from the hip blind fire shooting. That was a really horrid example of what to do in an ambush situation.

ok,i was also in the military,of course,i was artillery so my guns were bigger,and maybe i mis represented what i was trying to point out,i wasnt saying these were the best tactics to use in this situation,i was trying to point out that in ARMA2 when i see a similar situation arise,i see alot of people on the recieving end of this would run out rambo style and start firing away at the attacker,as opposed to maintaining the calm that these men showed in the video.i didnt see anyone running toward the attackers firing away blindly and hoping for a lucky shot,i did see people taking cover and returning fire in a somewhat orderly manner,thats the point i was trying to make,id rather see this type of thing more often in ARMA2 then the rambo run around guns blazing stuff i see alot.not always,there are some people using cover,and fire and manuever ,and it seems to be getting alot better,but theere are still alot of people out there playing as if this was a shooter and not a military sim.personally,you pay 50$ bucks for a game,you can do what you want as long as it doesnt infringe on everyone else fun,but the lone wolf shooter crap wont get you far in ARMA2.

First and foremost, you're absolutely correct. Those were indeed Ossetian Militia and not Russian troops doing most of the fighting seen in the video. Also, to the OP, as a long-time military man, I didn't see any "tactics" utilized what so ever. I did however witness a lot of from the hip blind fire shooting. That was a really horrid example of what to do in an ambush situation.

Exactly. Wonder what games they've been playing? You could tell they were firing for effect and I doubt they were having any. A typically, indiscipline rabble.

@Finalcut, agreed. I think the main issue is not understanding proper tactics. It's a question of character, and resulting actions. Independant of age and background, there are Ego- and Teamplayers. Concerning approach to a particular situation, whatever works in gaining an upper hand in a skirmish, is a valid tactic.

What happened to the BMP around 0:44, I cant tell if it was shooting its cannon or if it got hit by something.

Someone was shooting an RPG from behind the vehicle. There's also a fire command given.

Just had closer look; at 0:45 seems to be the cannon, at 1:34 could be RPG.

Edited by TangoRomeo

Yes it was the south ossetian's who did most of the fighting while we just made sure we helped them, we did send some of our best trained divisions who were battled hardened in chechenya. The south ossetian's experienced alot of casualties cause they could'nt fight for crap, same for the georgians, they ran and ran cause when they started seeing our tanks,aircraft and troops run in they ran like little girls. What they expected was the US to get involved starting another Cold War which could of involved a nuclear war.

The Georgians were issued M16s by the Americans but since they were inexperienced with those weapons they threw them away and used the AK47 instead. I notice we captured alot of booty from the Georgians, such as the Humvee's :P . The Georgian's should of never started a war they could'nt win. Mikhail Sashikillivi however you spell his last name, made a bad decision pushing the button.

Modern Day Russian Military is nothing like as it was in WW2 where we suffered tremendous casualties, it is more improvised now and suitable for modern warfare.Conscripts go through 18-24 months of military life and they use different training methods and tactics, we have one of the top special forces. The only crap thing is the technology we are so lack behind from at the moment, but we are bringing alot more new stuff soon ^ ^.

On a note about the video i can see mostly South Ossetian Troops with a few Russian Troops, from hearing what they are saying i can translate the video for you guys.

I do hear ogon which means fire, i do hear a russian soldier asking what happened?

i also hear some soldiers saying lets go! and don't fire!. Davai Davai is present meaning go go go! and pureit pureit meaning in saying Forward Forward!

but its very hard to exactly understand what most of the time they are saying as of the distance, also i hear some other language probably south ossetian

Edited by =Spetsnaz=

The guys with the white arm bands are Chechens. Vostok Division.

Davai Davai is present meaning go go go!

So that's what that means. I always heard it in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games.

Guys, any idea if there's a mod or a fix so the AK in ARMA2 sounds more like real one ( like you can hear in the video ) instead of some lousy, quiet PATA-PATAT-PATATAT like we have right now?

So that's what that means. I always heard it in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games.

it could mean come on come on/go go go, but you get the idea

---------- Post added at 03:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 AM ----------

are you sure? cause to me they look more like south ossetians.. got any link about that?

it could mean come on come on/go go go, but you get the idea

---------- Post added at 03:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 AM ----------

are you sure? cause to me they look more like south ossetians.. got any link about that?

I think I heard about the Chechens wearing the white arm bands too.

I think I heard about the Chechens wearing the white arm bands too.

yes thats true but majority of white band wearers were south ossetian.

That's a Chechen tactic mate.

The Chechen forces spearheaded the Russian assault. Probably because of their geographical proximity.

Here they are again with their battalion name grafittied onto a captured Georgian BMP.

vostok-21.jpg

Chechen Spetsnatz

00.jpg

2789861890_420808514a.jpg

Such muslimy beardedness! Who else could it be!

I don't have a direct link for you, but if you have a browse over at militaryphotoes.com there are some excellent picture diaries of that war that make for some very intresting viewing.

Edited by Baff1

The white arm band was warn by many South Ossetian fighters, volunteers, Russian regulars, and Chechen commandos (btw Vostok is a battalion, not a division) as an improvised friendly identification device. There is absolutely nothing "Chechen" about it.

Also, the true spearhead of the Russian advance into Georgia (once the Tzhinvali was liberated) was Battalion Battle Group from the 76th (Pskov) Airborne Division. It is quite possible that the Russian paratroopers that are pictured in this video are from that unit. However, it is also apparent that the irregulars in this video are the South (or North) Ossetian volunteers and not the Chechen regulars.

Peace,

DreDay

The white arm band was warn by many South Ossetian fighters, volunteers, Russian regulars, and Chechen commandos (btw Vostok is a battalion, not a division) as an improvised friendly identification device. There is absolutely nothing "Chechen" about it.

Also, the true spearhead of the Russian advance into Georgia (once the Tzhinvali was liberated) was Battalion Battle Group from the 76th (Pskov) Airborne Division. It is quite possible that the Russian paratroopers that are pictured in this video are from that unit. However, it is also apparent that the irregulars in this video are the South (or North) Ossetian volunteers and not the Chechen regulars.

Peace,

DreDay

That's what i thought, cause to me they looked more like south ossetian's than chechen, plus the uniform with the white band's didn't look like the uniform that was worn by the chechen groups in georgia.

Found something based on the vostok unit, here on this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Battalions_Vostok_and_Zapad

Special Battalions Vostok and Zapad (Russian: Специальные батальоны "ВоÑток" и "Запад", lit. "East" and "West") were units of the GRU based in Chechnya. The overwhelming majority of personnel were ethnic Chechens, while the command personnel were mixed (Russian/Chechen).

They were raised in 2003, initially as special companies of commandant's offices (established on the territory of the Chechen Republic in 2002). The Chechen personnel were of diverse origins. Zapad servicemen were always loyal to Russia, while many in Vostok were ex-militants who fought against Russian troops in the First and/or the Second Chechen War, handed over their weapons, were amnestied and subsequently swore allegiance to Russia.

The units were directly subordinate to the Russian Ministry of Defence and the GRU. Operationally, however, they were included in the structure of the 42nd Motor Rifle Division (Chechnya). By 2004, these battalions were eventually the only ethnic Chechen battalions in the structure of the Russian Ministry of Defence or the Ministry of Internal Affairs, and outside any control of the leaders of the Chechen Republic.

In 2008 they were involved in Russia's war in Georgia. Sulim Yamadayev, controversial former Chechen rebel, reportedly commanded the Vostok Battalion in this conflict.[2] As Memorial reported, Yamadayev's detachment suffered heavy losses in Georgia.[3]

In late 2008, the battalions were disbanded. It is rumored that Ramzan Kadyrov was involved.[4] In 2009 Yamadayev was assassinated in Dubai; the EUA authorities accused the Kadyrov's right hand henchman Adam Delimkhanov of organizing the murder.

Edited by =Spetsnaz=

Yes it was the south ossetian's who did most of the fighting while we just made sure we helped them, we did send some of our best trained divisions who were battled hardened in chechenya. The south ossetian's experienced alot of casualties cause they could'nt fight for crap, same for the georgians, they ran and ran cause when they started seeing our tanks,aircraft and troops run in they ran like little girls. What they expected was the US to get involved starting another Cold War which could of involved a nuclear war.

The Georgians were issued M16s by the Americans but since they were inexperienced with those weapons they threw them away and used the AK47 instead. I notice we captured alot of booty from the Georgians, such as the Humvee's :P . The Georgian's should of never started a war they could'nt win. Mikhail Sashikillivi however you spell his last name, made a bad decision pushing the button.

Modern Day Russian Military is nothing like as it was in WW2 where we suffered tremendous casualties, it is more improvised now and suitable for modern warfare.Conscripts go through 18-24 months of military life and they use different training methods and tactics, we have one of the top special forces. The only crap thing is the technology we are so lack behind from at the moment, but we are bringing alot more new stuff soon ^ ^.

On a note about the video i can see mostly South Ossetian Troops with a few Russian Troops, from hearing what they are saying i can translate the video for you guys.

I do hear ogon which means fire, i do hear a russian soldier asking what happened?

i also hear some soldiers saying lets go! and don't fire!. Davai Davai is present meaning go go go! and pureit pureit meaning in saying Forward Forward!

but its very hard to exactly understand what most of the time they are saying as of the distance, also i hear some other language probably south ossetian

-Ossetian volonteers did more harm than good in the fighting (besides the 300 who remained in Tshinkvali) - most were contained at Java and Roki tunnel by Russian troops to prevent looting/fraticide and other things resulting from unorganized ego-centric rabble going into combat.

-Units going into S.Ossetia was actually one of the poorest equipped formations in the Russian forces - North Caucasus Military District is a mostly geared for COIN ops and is not the greatest formation to use for a conventional battle with a modern-eqipped enemy (and the result was many, many fvckups that should have not been there). The only reson why the NCMD was mobilized for the operation was proximity to the conflict zone. Majority of troops went through the tunnel in an ad hoc fashion, up to 20% of vihicles broke down on the way. Most of the armor that went in, was actually inferior to Georgian equipment.

- Georgians were never issued M16s. They had some Bushmaster knock-offs of M4 carabines, 200 G36s (with a resulting scandal in Germany), and mostly AK74 rifles. They had superior armor, comms and a very good AA network (which they failed to utilize).

Good read:

http://www.navoine.ru/articles/yuzhnaya-osetiya/347

And even better pictures to go with it:

http://www.navoine.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?p=551#551

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

http://www.apacheclips.com/media/8192/VERY_GOOD_-_UCK_fighter/

Not exactly Russians, but close to it. The uploader has a few more videos like this, they're really good. Supposedly the guy with the beard made it through all of this.

These are the people Russians are fighting against, not "close to it".

Guys, any idea if there's a mod or a fix so the AK in ARMA2 sounds more like real one ( like you can hear in the video ) instead of some lousy, quiet PATA-PATAT-PATATAT like we have right now?

Sometimes just as in ArmA 1 you keep wondering if it`s not better to play with the "lousy quiet pata patata patatat" sounds :rolleyes:

I downed the sound of the vid already but still it`s painfull to listen too.

Did this just for fun of the REAL LIFE video, even with real players it would be nothing compared to real life firingfights :bounce3:

*edit video deleted

Wow and what a crappy ambush by the georgians.

Edited by ShadowY

Funny thing is, since the OFP days, even when playing Medal of Honor series (and later COD series), my mates, my brother and I played MOH the way we played OFP, line of fire, supression, defense position, etc.

We Still WON! :yay:

But if you're a COD-BF2 kind of player, try to pull those stunts on arma or arm2 and you'll end up in a virtual bag! :D

regards

We Still WON! :yay:

But if you're a COD-BF2 kind of player, try to pull those stunts on arma or arm2 and you'll end up in a virtual bag! :D

nah....it depends on the players whom are online at that moment ..surtenly on a public server. :bounce3:

Here's few Georgia's problems which i've heard. These were major issues and which probably destined Georgia to perform as poorly as it did.

1. Focusing on COIN-wars instead of Conventional wars. And whole military was still changing it's mind-set and practices. Mobilization plans for reserves and readiness to mobile them were poor. Not to speak about their training.

2. Too young military and/or possibly going thru too drastic changes. Bad personel quality, at least in sense that they had junior officers manning positions which should belong to senior officers. I don't know did whole Georgian army prepare it's personel for conventional war anymore... I have heard that this is habit also in various militaries in Europe which main priority have became COIN and stability operations instead of conventional war (on own soil).

No it's not, if they were from Vostok Division they would not run around like idiots, they would actually use proper military tactics :rolleyes: