Sign in to follow this  
noamles

GMJ Sight Adjustment for ArmA2

Thank you very much, noamles, for your effort to provide the ArmA 2 gamers in general and the SP fans in particular with this much-needed addon from Arma. :thumb:

I loved it back in ArmA, but was always a bit pissed off when I had to save before finishing a sniper mission because back then, GMJ_SightAdjustment had the same flaw like your ported version 1: it did not carry over a savegame.:(

But you finally made it possible to use this addon over a save-reload cycle by applying the tips given in the thread here. Glad it worked so well. :yay:

Now, some of the guns that drove me mad in Urban CQB (Wtf?! How could I miss that guy? He was dead center in my optics!) as well as in long range firefights (Oh nooo! A cloud of dust again, the shot fell too short!) will go through some thorough testing at the Moveable Target Range by Kronsky.

It's amazing what unexpected values some weapons have for adjustment, but I don't care how silly the numbers, as long as I hit my target, and thanks to YOU, noamles, I can now split those long playing hours in SPECOPS or sniper missions into several sessions. And keep the ability to adjust rifle sights as the situation requires.

Here's my first mini-rangecard of the G 36 C SD; I made it because I'm playing a SPECOPS mission right now that provides the riflemen with that weapon. And when we made contact, I wondered how I could actually miss a standing target at 100 or 200 m. Well, look at the values gathered at the range and imagine how it is to fire that weapon in ArmA 2 without your cool addon:391:

"G36_C_SD_eotech", "B_556x45_SD", 100, -0.416667, 200, -0.166667, 300, 0.05

And for those who don't use the built-in rangecard notepad:

100m -25 MOA

200m -10 MOA

300m +3 MOA

At least for me, accurate firing with that wretched Eotech-scoped weapon became finally possible.

thanks again, noamles, for that addon which I cannot imagine to play without anymore,

touristo

awesome mod :D

Canyou also implement the wind effects of the bullets? so we can make use of the windage feature?

That would be cool, there was a (wind effected balistic) mod for arma 1 somewhere...

@Pvt.Kiwi - the code is not mine (at least not the code you want :)), but from the message that GMJ left when he left the community - you can pretty much do what ever you want with it, just remember to credit.

@touristo - thanks mate.

@Flarmapoint 2 - i have no knowledge in ballistics, i just converted the addon to A2. wind is not really a priority for me - i much rather get some good accurate reticules for the m24,m40a3,m107...

cya.

@DJH:

Sorry for the delayed answer but I had some troubles getting online in the past couple of days (Baghdad isn't a good place if you want a fast stable internet connection).

So what I use:

Locations:

Utes Airfield. up to 600m

North west Airfield Tschernaruss up to 1500m

and an aranged setting at one of the southern beaches for shots at around 2000m.

Targets used for gaining data for my range cards:

custom made target 2mx2m with the "bulls eye" at 1.65m height (point where the spot between mouth and nose of ArmA2 soldiers is) and horizontal and vertical reference lines (with metrical reference points in 10cm steps)

benchrest simulation by slowing down gamespeed to acctime 0.1

and the "magic" rangefinder

first test is:

5 shots to hit the horizontal line with no more than 5cm away from ref line.

second test:

10 shots fired at 20cm radius bulls eye with no more than 20% out of that area.

To answer your question, most of my evaluated values differ from yours at around +-1MoA.

At the moment iam working on a sniper TTP/SOP for ArmA2 gamers including proper evaluated rangecards, shooting from diffrent elevations up and down, targetevaluation and -selection, MP-training and -mission TTPs for Spotter/Sniper teams, how to plan a complex sniper deployment with in and exfil plans aswell as how to choose a firing position and all that wiggly stuff that comes along with beeing a sniper in an complex ArmA scenario along with other troops and forces and not just the guy that was first at the ammobox to get the scoped rifle.

Everyone who whants to take part and give input is very welcome since iam a quite busy person with only a relativ small ammount of spare time to spend on a mostly ignorant community :cool:

Everyone who whants to take part and give input is very welcome since iam a quite busy person with only a relativ small ammount of spare time to spend on a mostly ignorant community :cool:

----> :(

@Al Simmons: I created two more rangecards for the East sniper rifles using Kronsky's Moveable Target Range. While usually the BIS weapon descriptions have little relation to ingame performance of the guns, the VSS Vintorez matches it's advertising quite exactly by being only effective up to 400 m.

"VSS_vintorez", "B_9x39_SP5", 100, 7.45058e-008, 200, 0.25, 300, 0.75, 400, 1.16667

or, for the ones not using the ingame rangecards:

100m +0 MOA

200m +15 MOA

300m +45 MOA

400m +70 MOA

The Dragunov SVD Camo proved to be a better weapon for longer ranges than the VSS:

"SVD_CAMO", "B_762x54_noTracer", 100, 0.166667, 200, 0.2, 300, 0.25, 400, 0.3, 500, 0.366667, 600, 0.466667, 700, 0.533333, 800, 0.633333, 900, 0.75, 1000, 0.866666

"Pen and Paper" Version:

100m +10 MOA

200m +12 MOA

300m +15 MOA

400m +18 MOA

500m + 22 MOA

600m + 28 MOA

700m + 32 MOA

800m + 38 MOA

900m + 45 MOA

1000m + 52 MOA

Since any shooting beyond that range appeared to me to be too ineffective due to the stupid "Hitpoint" system and the poor magnification rate of the SVD scope combined with game graphics limitations (everything save PP on normal, VD 3000m should enable me to snipe at 1500m but I can hardly see the targets then with the SVD), I stopped here.

For most sniper missions, a maximum engagement range of 1000m should be totally sufficient.

Hope I made the cards exact enough to help,

tourist

@ Al Simmons

Certainly sounds more accurate than my "lie down, shoot in face" method!

I've found that my ranges work well enough, but like I say, your method sounds like it would return more the precise figures

@Al Simmons: I created two more rangecards for the East sniper rifles using Kronsky's Moveable Target Range.

Confused. Just did a quick test and my SVD hits the 150 meter target with default 0 MOA.

300 = 2

500 = 9.75

600 = 14

What's with those double digit numbers?

PS great mod by the way.

Edited by Jedo

I support the idea of wind deflection implemented. Could this please be added, it would add a whole new factor to gameplay.

I agree with noamles, use the 31st MEU reticle pack, it also changes the ballistics which makes the whole game much more realistic [apparently, tho I would have no idea myself!] and makes sniping much much better. The link is in his post...

FFAA "ACCURACY"

"Pen and Paper" Version:

200m + 0.5 MOA

300m + 2.25 MOA

400m + 5.25MOA

500m + 8.5 MOA

600m + 12.25 MOA

700m + 16.5 MOA

800m + 20.5 MOA

900m + 26.5 MOA

I dont understand.. what is MOA, and how do I know how much it is in scope X?

Edited by Ish

Interesting.. But im crap at math, and that link doesn't help me in aiming with the reticles..:o

That didn't tell me much either :p I mean how do I know how many MOA's there is on a certain reticle? I can't figure it out.

Well, as it says in the Minute of Arch article it is usually refered to as Minute of Angle when it has to do with firearms. Non the less the article has info about how it works or firearms. Both are correct ^^

MOA explanations

http://www.snipercountry.com/articles/mildot_moa.asp

http://riflestocks.tripod.com/moa.html

it a way of working out range if you now the hight of a target two milliradians equal about 6 feet at one-thousand yards.

so if a man is 2 mill dots the range to him is a 1000yards sound more complicated than it really is

Edited by qwert12

MOA explanations

http://www.snipercountry.com/articles/mildot_moa.asp

http://riflestocks.tripod.com/moa.html

it a way of working out range if you now the hight of a target two milliradians equal about 6 feet at one-thousand yards.

so if a man is 2 mill dots the range to him is a 1000yards sound more complicated than it really is

Good one. That should help some people out. I meant to get a few links but I guess I forgot. Thanks for getting these up.

is there any way to see the range guide outside of the map?