Sign in to follow this  
Big Dawg KS

How Smart is your AI?

In response to this thread.

The AI in ArmA2 is actually very capable. I think they deserve a place where their capabilities can be credited.

Edit: Please do NOT use this thread to discuss problems with the AI, this is simply for pointing out examples of 'smart' AI.

I'll start simple. Now I found this pretty cool, but I'm sure a lot of you will think it's no big deal, but I've observed that AI can now open doors/gates and will take this into account in their pathfinding.

Edited by Big Dawg KS

my AI is this smart: <-------------------------->

ontopic, i have no problems with the ai at all, but then again, i only play around with the editor :)

yea the AI is much smarter than in ArmA 1 but the problem im noticing is their response time even with the skill set to max they don't respond as fast especially with pathfinding and all..

yea the AI is much smarter than in ArmA 1 but the problem im noticing is their response time even with the skill set to max they don't respond as fast especially with pathfinding and all..

Please post this somewhere else. This thread is for recognizing all the good aspects of ArmA2's AI, not to discuss the problems with them.

Please post this somewhere else. This thread is for recognizing all the good aspects of ArmA2's AI, not to discuss the problems with them.

payback you spam the other thread too thats karma, dont be angry

I didn't spam that thread, however you are spamming this one. Now, this is my thread so I will decide what I want to use it for, and your post is not contributing at all.

Hi all

Slightly brighter than a COD l33t n00b. Hence the ass kicking they get and come on here and whine about.

Racking up kills on the AI at the same point is harder now. They get wise and flank.

I shoot a bunch of guys in a particular PvP all in the middle of a road and they still keep coming through the piled up bodies? :confused:

I see a bunch of bodies on my route and it is careful sneaky big long flanky time.

Kind regards walker

I like the way they are finding cover. I set up myself as Chedaki officer and assigned one soldier to my squad. The Opfor was a squad of USMC with the search and destroy waypoint.

So, we were hiding behind a wall I guarded one corner, my ai temnate guarded the other corner, I have not ordered that to him, he did it himself. So, then we saw the USMC and opened fire, they gone prone and supresed us with a mg. A little while after I tried to return fire, and noticed that the USMC divided in two parts and tried to flank us from several way, still with a small group of USMC supresing us with that bloody mg. By then end one of the falnking USMC team got us with a m203, but It was very nice to watch the Ai improvement.:rolleyes:

Derk Yall

They are very competent flankers that's my biggest takeaway. Watch those flanks !

//Niklas

Ive ran through the woods with an AI squad as there we're contacts up front!

I followed and watched the AI as they ran from tree to tree,leaning etc bofore they moved to the next tree!

Very nice to watch :cool:

My AI squadmates tend to spot enemy on the other side of hills. Must be geniuses to anticipate enemy positions without LOS.

My AI squadmates tend to spot enemy on the other side of hills. Must be geniuses to anticipate enemy positions without LOS.

Reporting 'unknown something' does not require a LOS. I can also hear cars/choppers/small arms fire from the other side of a hill and can identify if its a vehicle or infantry. ;)

A good way to check the enemies capabilities is to setup a combat situation between enemy soldiers in the editor and then spawn yourself as a rabbit. Then follow one of the AI around (especially snipers) and see how the perform. I've seen some pretty impressive maneuvers that way.

One thing ive noticed is the changes in crew members who disembark from damaged tanks. Ive seen a few instances where a tank has taken enough damage to disable, while not completly destroying it. Before exiting the damaged tank, the AI pops smoke grenades to conceal their position. They then exit the tank and run a few meters away effectivly concealed by smoke.

That might not sound like much, but i remember arma 1, where a lot of times when the crew exited the tank, they just layed prone next to it.. waiting to be killed.

I'm a lot more patient now after a MP engagement where my team was assaulting an enemy outpost, they had us 4:1, but we had surprise. I hosed a group of them down and kept them suppressed for about 15 seconds, and them someone peeked out from behind a building returning fire and it was my turn, cringing behind a wall. My team tried to flank and had some resistance, I thought 20sec and my teams actions took the AI's attention off me, ran around the corner without looking, and that same bastard was there waiting. *bang* If the AI can be patient, I sure as hell need to be.:D

One thing ive noticed is the changes in crew members who disembark from damaged tanks. Ive seen a few instances where a tank has taken enough damage to disable, while not completly destroying it. Before exiting the damaged tank, the AI pops smoke grenades to conceal their position. They then exit the tank and run a few meters away effectivly concealed by smoke.

That might not sound like much, but i remember arma 1, where a lot of times when the crew exited the tank, they just layed prone next to it.. waiting to be killed.

What game are you playing? I have never seen this on SP or MP. The only smoke I see is when we thoroughly destroy armor after several AT rockets.

Im playing arma 2 obviously.. Just becuase youve never seen it, means it doesnt exist?? After testing it out, it occurs quite often when playing the domination map. Not sure if its custom scripting that xeno did while making the map.. I cant possibly be the only one who has noticed this with as many people who play domination...

Im playing arma 2 obviously.. Just becuase youve never seen it, means it doesnt exist?? After testing it out, it occurs quite often when playing the domination map. Not sure if its custom scripting that xeno did while making the map.. I cant possibly be the only one who has noticed this with as many people who play domination...

Oh, domination... yeah, that map gets old.... thats why I don't play it.

I'm not entirely sure that this counts as being smart but I had an AI tank under my command in high command mode. I told it to engage a tank expecting it to get shot up like the SU-25 did that attacked it. Not only did the T-72 I told to attack take out the enemy T-72, it also took out the other 3. Although I guess the SU-25 was somewhat stupid seeing as how it never fired.

Hi

Yesterday I kept going on working on a mission of mine. After setting up everything I tested the mission and I must say AI is quite impressive. I hid behind a low wall in the middle of the field and watched directly on Lopatino. The Enemy AI was starting a counter attack and friendly advance stopped. After the Enemy discovered my position I was trapped and nailed down by the Enemy AI. Whatever I tried to change position failed and I always ended killed. Whatever I tried the AI kept me zeroed and as soon as I tried to move they put a hail of fire on me and killed me every time. They kept me pinned down. I was in prone trying to move to left or right with the same result. I was always welcomed with a hail of bullets. After more or less a dozen attempts to move away from my compromised position I had to crawl back in prone position facing the direction of Lopatino. Unfortunately AI is able to spot you through grass and bushes even in prone position so it makes it very hard to compete against them.

So the enemy is definitely smart on foot.

The same I can’t say when it comes to driving skills even after 1,02 patch update the AI has serious troubles to stay on the road.

In case of danger the move along the forest lines to have as much cover as possible. AI driving skills must still be improved in my opinion. Search for my nick nettrucker on you tube there I loaded up some movies showing the AI driving skills so you can see for yourself.

In any case ArmA II is fantastic not withstanding bugs and other issues still to be fixed.

Regards

nettrucker:D

I was playing the same mission as before with the T72s only I added a dug in shilka off to the side so that I would have to destroy it before calling in my Su-25. I told my T-72 to move up so he could see and hit it. Well he didn't last long against the shilka. He got two shots off one of which must've missed and the other took out the bunker around the Shilka. So I called in my Su-25 hoping it would be able to deal with it... nope he got shot down. Now it was my turn.

I took my squad over onto the side of the hill they were on. Told them to lie down. I moved forward and told 3 (RPG gunner) to move up to my side. He targeted the shilka and I gave the order to fire right as I threw a smoke grenade in front of him. The RPG hit the shilka, commander got out but then the shilka's turret spun one last time and took out 3. The rest of the crew bailed and I shot the two of them but the one was behind the shilka. I told the rest of my men to move up with me and they suppressed him as I moved up on his flank and took him out. Then the T-72s saw us and opened fire so I threw some more smoke out and we retreated after blowing up the T-72.

Retarded. The micro AI can be good... but when it takes 3 minutes for them to cross a damn street in 'danger' mode... Needs tweaking.

Retarded. The micro AI can be good... but when it takes 3 minutes for them to cross a damn street in 'danger' mode... Needs tweaking.

If you're in command set them to aware and then tell them to do it.

Well, i've had a cow sneak up on me and moo in the middle of a firefight, when i turned around i had this big brown head staring at me, it gave me the impression that the cow was using me for cover.

I also saw a sheep enter one of those small farm shacks, it felt like a good idea (solid cover) so i instantly rushed in and shut the door :sigh: ..

The sheep didnt like my presence and opened the door using telekinetic powers :eek: , then left..

Sheep with phychic/telekinetic powers is definetly next gen!!