Sign in to follow this  
mr_centipede

Hybrid Commanding System

OK there seems to be some threshholds here. I tried to use a platoon of 90 troops derived from the shacktac F2 setup. This platoon is divided into approx 27 groups. When I start the mission the command system is stressed because it doesnt show the tac symbols for at least 1 minute. I can move the groups using the command system in the beginning. Now, I can regroup the platoon into 1 massive 90 man formation. Works great and I can maneuver them and send commands to them. Pretty fun to watch 90 units salute you. When I hit Split platoon though they do not split back into their command hierarchy that they started with. Is this system going by group name to keep track of the groups. How does that work.

OK there seems to be some threshholds here. I tried to use a platoon of 90 troops derived from the shacktac F2 setup. This platoon is divided into approx 27 groups. When I start the mission the command system is stressed because it doesnt show the tac symbols for at least 1 minute. I can move the groups using the command system in the beginning. Now, I can regroup the platoon into 1 massive 90 man formation. Works great and I can maneuver them and send commands to them. Pretty fun to watch 90 units salute you. When I hit Split platoon though they do not split back into their command hierarchy that they started with. Is this system going by group name to keep track of the groups. How does that work.

If you're using something like the Chernarus demo mission, ie legacy HCS, take a look at the leader's init. you need to key in all the 27 group names.

You can just create game logic and paste nul=[this] execVM ""cent_HCS2\cent_HCS2_init.sqf" into init box and all leaders will use this script.

Well that is nice to know and yes I will do this so thanks, very easy indeed.

I just think that in time if this can be done in such a way that you can simply add classes to an array in config or something along those lines and it was a addon pbo this would sky rocket the need for this 10 fold :)

I guess some people (not so much myself) would use this to death if it was updated in such a way .. if it was doable of course.

Anyway .. im not putting a negative on it, this is superb, for me probably one of the best little scripts to some so far in A2's short lifespan :bounce3:

Well maybe Im confused on which version Im using. I have nul=[this] execVM ""cent_HCS2\cent_HCS2_init.sqf" in the leaders init box. Every unit has a Group this in their init. Where to I make the 27 entries? Can you be more specific? Thanks for the help. the mission AltHCpltv4 does not react the same as my mission because I see regroup platoon in my action menu. In the mentioned mission it shows in the communication menu. I also see repeationg HCS lines in mine.

OK regarding the passing donw of command afte death in group respawn:

I've just done a number of tests and we still have the same problem.

Yes every leader has the ability to use HCS to split and regroup subsections but any leader after the First in the group can not have those subgroups follow any orders. Meaning. SL dies, ASL takes over. ASL splits off a few subgroups, switches to HC mode, selects groups to order and clicks a place for them to go. They will not move.

Note this happens in the follwoing iterations regardless if:

1. HC module synched up to SL (w sub mod synched to HC mod) HCS script in ldrs init

2. HC module synched up to SL (w sub mod synched to HC mod) HCS scrripts synched to gam logic

3. No HC module present at all ( but HCS script in gam logic)

HCS passes to next in command but not the ability to have them do anything and follow commands.

HOWEVER

On a whim I synched a HC mod/SubCmd mod to the SL, and two corporals in the squad. (not that's three separate HC/SubHC module combos not all three synched to one).

When this happens, HCS works normally to each guy that the above=true. So in the above example the three ranking squad members have normal HCS. When you get around to the forth guy who has no HC/SunHC synched up, then you go to the same problem, NO HCS works.

SO if you want effective CoC to pass down to every guy each will need a HC/SubHC synced up to it.

I have attached this file:

www.loscon.net/ARMA/AltHCpltv4.Chernarus.pbo

In it one squad has no HC attached, one has HC attached just to the SL,

One squad has HC attached to the SL and two fire team leaders, and one squad has HC synched to every guy. Depbo it and check it out in the editor as it is the same in test mode as well as MP. You can note the difference each iteration makes on passing down HCS/HC.

Los

Los

I just tested this mission as Squad Leader 2. The problem with respawn into group is that, even though you have synched a HC to every squad member for handing command down the chain on subsequent respawns, any groups already split prior to the SL going down, are unavailable to regroup under the command of the next in line.

I split my squad in two, hit respawn, and I only had 1/2 the squad to command/split/regroup. Those that were already split are still alive but no longer recognised as a member of my squad.

At least thats how it appeared to me.

Keep up the good work though.

Yes this is true if you have split out squads to do stuff and then you die you will not get them back. (Note in base_respawn you retain control of those split of squads always, this si a function of group and I assume side respawn where technically you are coming back to life as a totally separate guy.

BTW I have been testing his out in alt_HCS by blowing myself up with a satchel charge. that's why each SL has a crate of ordnance right in front of him. <grin>

Los

BTW I have been testing his out in alt_HCS by blowing myself up with a satchel charge. that's why each SL has a crate of ordnance right in front of him. <grin>

Los

Now thats where you and I differ. Your method is much more dramatic than mine...I simply hit [Escape][Respawn] :D

Any chance next version will allow player to retain control of other groups linked to his HC commander(sub command HC) once he respawns?

May I ask which version is the latest version? I think I've lost track of it...maybe need to reconsolidate at the first page. Since I dont know anything about network programming and MP compatibility scripting, I have to surrender on that part.

About making it as an addon, I also dont know how to do it. As of right now, I'm not working on it.

In that version there are four squads each w a different command configuration. If you want each guy to be able to retain full HCS and C&C after the squad leader dies then every troopie needs a HC module/subHC module synched up to him. And put the execvm to HCS script in a gamelogic.

Edited by Los18z

@Los18z

Is your version is the defacto standard now? is it SP and MP compatible? I have no problems ppl making an alternate/improve version of my script, just that now I've lost track which is which...

Thanks Los18z for your response.Any chance of an example mission of where you retain total control o fall sub squads? :)

Thanks.

I sent Big an message to clarify since the armaholic post kinda makes it look like I was some kind of inventor on this. All I have been doing it taking your scripts and putting them in missions trying to see what it does and doesn't do and posting the feedback back here. So I want to clarify that with him, in fact I told him to just add my mission to your page. I have also made sure to explain in the readme that you guys invented this. It doesn't seem quite clear on the page though. I think your original script post on Armaholic should be the base for mission designers.

Anyways wrt mp/sp compatibility, all along this system has worked fine in multiplayer as well as singleplayer and I have tested this out on countless multiplayer sessions.

From what I've experienced, putting the script into a game logic makes it available to everyone. Meaning splitting regrouping watch dir etc,

WRT to having this functionality after you die and respawn. It depends on the type of respawn. For base respawn, you only need one HC-Sub HC combo synched to the player you want to have this functionality and it will continue to work fine.

However in Group respawn to have the functionality carry through requires a HC and sub-HC module for every guy you want to have this functionality. Meaning if you want every man in your 10 man squad to have full functionality the you have to create 10 HC-SubHC combos and synch them up to each guy. This can be a bit of a PITA when designing a mission but realistically once a squad falls below a certain number you wont be splitting it further and regular command mode is best

So in the mission posted on armaholic the squads have the top 5 ranking men with altHCS capability. Once they're dead and it's a bunch of privates, whoever takes over next will just command the remnants without alt HCS.

Does this make sense?

los18z,

I'm still confused here. This multiple version thing is hard to follow. Is yours specifically supposed to be for MP, although it works in SP? What's the actual benefit I will get using your set up as opposed to the other version. Does it change/add anything or does it function the same once in game.(In SP, I don't play MP.)

I tried to get a grasp on your last post but things are still a bit fuzzy.

There's no difference in the versions it uses the same HCS script. I simply have a mission using the HCs script in action. When the script was first invented no one was really sure whether it worked as advertised in various situations. I used this misison all along to test this thing out with live people in multiplayer mode as well as single player mode, and along the way we learned alot about the script and how to make it work best under various circumstances. So the v5 is the 5th version of my mission which has been posted up and down here in this thread for display and testing for the past month or so. As the script was refined so was the missions trying different methodologies to get the most out of the script. And they all work in SP and multiplayer just as well.

My mission has the squads set up so that in group respawn, altHCS will carry over when you die. So in this mission you can have four player each running as squad using AltHCS throughout the mission. If you are going to use the HCS script in a mission, you will have to set things up a little different depending on whether you intend to use group respawn or base_respawn.

This takes longer to explain than it does to actually play around w in the editor but...

Lets say you make a simple single player mission with the HCS. Fine and dandy...you put the script in your player, synch up with HC-SubHC modules. Everything works fine UNTIL you die. If you come back to life as the next guy in your squad you will not be able to command anyone using HighCommand mode unless you have also synched up a second HC module to the next guy in line in your squad. (and so on down the line). If you Depbo altHCSv5 you will see how the squads are set up.

So I've kind of explained this about four times and there always seems to be someone unclear about it, if it will help I can perhaps post some screenshots in the editor to point this out?

Los

Edited by Los18z

So the best thing for team switch issues / when your dead and flip to alternate team member is sync the module to all members and not JUST the leader = will then work ... right?

Is there not some dynamic check script that can be running to basically say "if player = dead then "newplayer" = attach/init the module" of some kind?

I know that COC/CEX Chain Of Command could work out you flipped players and would suddenly apply itself to that new player, wonder if that would work for the high command module if its named?

Edited by mrcash2009

Is COC/CEX out yet for arma2? There may be some script but we haven't figured it out yet. Perhaps as you suggest, something that calls High command and sub High command "on the fly" and synchs it to player upon respawning into a command slot, but it's gotta work for all such players in an MP game.

It's interesting that when you die in a base_respawn type of MP game or say the revive script, the HC functionality remains with you.

Los

No, sorry I was referring to Arma1 and COC/CEX as regards my last post. Its in the works though :)

Im running into an issue where I move a squad in cargo into an AAV. It starts with 3 fire teams that are joined by the command module. I can successfully run the hcs program to reattach them to me directly but cant get them out of the vehicle as they wont respond. Any ideas?

edit

What Im noticing is if I tell my troops to climb in a vehicle that is not part of my immediate group I cant get them out.

Edited by gunterlund21

Hi Guys,

i try to create a Coop at Moment. It should be possible to select the HC about different Battlegroups (Inft, Tanks and so on) for Players with some simple Triggers. I tryed something with the HC Modules, but im not good enough with scripting.

Can you help me please ?

Greetings

gunterland, I believe you cant give a team an order to mount or dismount unless you regroup them first, however my son the other day ordered a mounted unit to ATTACk a target and they dismounted on their own.

Thunder,

If you are looking to use eh straight up HC module then check out how it is set up here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73408&highlight=high+command

if you are looking to set up an Hybrid High Command thing then check out these demo missions:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6930&highlight=HIGH+COMMAND

Edited by Los18z

maybe this isnt technically the right spot for this but here i go -

1. can you issue more then one waypoint to a group in one go? move here at normal speed aware, then move limited in stealth mode?

2. currently, when i break off groups and issue waypoints and try to set the combat and speed conditions, they seem slow to respond or dont do anything they are ordered to do - they just run along acting safe. if i then switch them to stealth, they just go prone and will not move at all. is this something wrong on my end? there are no opfor present - im just testing the behaviour.

cheers

Lighty

This is all reliant on BIS High Command, so everything is high command as regards the engine to do the work.

As regards high command, its best to seek out the main high command threads by search as this is the place to understand it more.

Although what I know ... you can instruct them at one time by using Fkeys or select all key to select the groups in high command (like you would members in your team) but ... for only 1 click on the map .. this sets them all to goto the same place, then you can move the individual way-points and set behaviou but its after the fact and can be fiddly.

High command limitation are you cant set the waypoint type until AFTER is placed (can be annoying as they auto move). So you cant tell them all to move stealth right away, you select all, or who you want, place the waypoint, then start setting the waypoint(s) to stealth etc etc.

The delay is the fact that the waypoint default placed is always set as aware, until you then right click and tell it otherwise (unless they reached a stealth waypoint and are in stealth mode at the point of making the next way point) ... then they respond to the change .... which is the annoyance of high command where you cannot set the way-point behaviour BEFORE you place it (wish BIS would sort that out).

The best is to set them way-points using CTRL and click to add multiples starting with the first being close to them with a halt (halt or wait or stop I cant remember) so they will hold for a time length) then they will move on after that giving you time to set modes per way-point and behaviour.

As regards them not responding, what are you using ref version, vanilla? OA Combined ops? Betas? Stealth will make them more likely to go prone more as with Danger modes.

How does it handle if you try the High Command demo, does that get stuck in modes?

BTW this is more about high command than this mod, I maybe should have PM's this, if you want to know more PM me back, or search about high command topics :)

This addon is just the implementation to make it dynamic to send to high command mode mainly.

Edited by mrcash2009