Sign in to follow this  
mr_centipede

Hybrid Commanding System

i was more meaning what you were trying with the fireteam colors etc. like keeping them despite splitting/recombining group. also would be great if we could use fireteam colours to determine size the groups split in to. like player can choose that red has 3 guys, blue (support in this case) has 6 and green (sniper team) has just 2.

thanks

@twisted

Sorry, I'm not quite sure I understand. I'll use current platoon HCS as an example. Initially we have 3 squads,then regroup into one. Do you mean assigning fireteam while when we have 3squads and those fireteams are in the squads? or assigning fireteams when the 3squads merge with you?

Surely the advantage of bringing all the troops together is that the commander can split them into the teams they want (perhaps by assigning them colours or some roles) then splitting them again to command them separately.

Is this possible?

@twisted

Sorry, I'm not quite sure I understand. I'll use current platoon HCS as an example. Initially we have 3 squads,then regroup into one. Do you mean assigning fireteam while when we have 3squads and those fireteams are in the squads? or assigning fireteams when the 3squads merge with you?

sorry for being obtuse.

i mean using fireteam colours to adjust the size of the groups your company splits in to.

that way we can control the splits the company breaks in to on the fly.

going with your 3 squad example. isntead of having 3 squads on 3 men we can change it to 3 squads made of 4, 3 and 2 men by choosing 4 men for red colour (squad 1) 3 for blue (squad 2) and 2 men for green (squad 3).

that would be very useful. especially with larger companies.

edit - kremator is bang on target.

Edited by twisted

^^ what he said. Amen Brother !

Fingers crossed that Mr Centipede can wiggle his 100 legs and work his magic !! What is missing from this jigsaw puzzle is that when I set a colour I want that to be a Fireteam when I split the platoon - to be able to setup tailored groups for every situation would be AMAZING !

EDIT: from more testing you can assign colours to your platoon (in joined mode) and when they split and then rejoined they have still those set colours.

Edited by Kremator

Okay, sorry for being very-very dense.

If I understand right, when in joined mode (30men under you), say we assign them into fire teams. eg:red 4man,green 10man,blue 2man and yellow 2man. So if we split them into high command mode, you have those teams to command, correct? that would means you would still have 12men directly under you, correct? Is that what you mean?

Okay, sorry for being very-very dense.

If I understand right, when in joined mode (30men under you), say we assign them into fire teams. eg:red 4man,green 10man,blue 2man and yellow 2man. So if we split them into high command mode, you have those teams to command, correct? that would means you would still have 12men directly under you, correct? Is that what you mean?

Correct. Your 12 man team would be F1, the 4 man team (that you made green) is F2 etc etc.

I think that I would CREATE my fireteams at the start of any mission depending on what was needed (sniper/scout team or MG team) then split them into these corresponding sections.

Following on from that (long term) we could 'absorb' any troops/vehicles onto that team OR even lose them ala 'TEAM STATUS' in Domination.

Possible all of this ?

Correct. Your 12 man team would be F1, the 4 man team (that you made green) is F2 etc etc.

I think that I would CREATE my fireteams at the start of any mission depending on what was needed (sniper/scout team or MG team) then split them into these corresponding sections.

Following on from that (long term) we could 'absorb' any troops/vehicles onto that team OR even lose them ala 'TEAM STATUS' in Domination.

Possible all of this ?

Alright then... I think thats doable. But isn't that just more appropriate for platoon/squad size units? I think it would be much hectic if it was company size.

Some limitation that I can see here is that you could only have 4 teams max. (plus 1 your own group). But then again, I think its adequate. Will try work on it this weekend

I think we are limited to 6 colours is it ? If a colour is a 'squad' then it could be as big as you want. You could do battalion (or even army!) level this way (although your PC may suffer!)

Thanks for working on this mate ! I think this will be THE standard for all missions in the future. HC is so useful.

If you need any help with testing you have my email :)

I think we are limited to 6 colours is it ? If a colour is a 'squad' then it could be as big as you want. You could do battalion (or even army!) level this way (although your PC may suffer!)

Thanks for working on this mate ! I think this will be THE standard for all missions in the future. HC is so useful.

If you need any help with testing you have my email :)

6 Colours? I notice only 4 in the BiKi... RED, GREEN, BLUE and YELLOW. (plus WHITE/MAIN ofcourse) is there another one?

Yes, I think splitting colour team is much more versatile and robust way to command teams. Though a proper representation of company level and above, could be difficult. But either way, with splitting colour team, you can have as many units in your group and split whoever you want to accomplish the mission.

Thanks for the idea twisted and kremator

Edited by Mr_Centipede

Ah yes 5 including white (my old brain IS getting old :) )

You could use White (Main) ad HQ Company, and the other colours for the platoons.

How about this .... you request air support in HC mode and it pops onto your command bar. As soon as CAS is sorted you release it again and off it pops!

Oh I have been looking at using these scripts in MP. So far so good, but I don't know how JIP would handle it.

I may have been a bit optimistic before. I have problems with splitting coloured teams. in the biki, theres only assignTeam, unassignTeam and dissolveTeam. How can I select team 'RED' for example? in script of course, so that I can made them join grpNull and hcsetGroup them for it to be able to command in high command mode?

formationTeamMembers only return correct value after I assign them something to do, still that one doesn't really robust/dynamic enough.

Thats my preliminary observation. If you have any ideas, please do share it here,

thank you.

So is the difficulty getting the program to report which group soldiers are in ?

Isn't there an AssignAs command ? or JoinAs ?

Will look into it ... but I'm no programmer. We need more community help here I think.

Here's the flow of what I'm thinking about doing.

1. As group leader, you assign some member to team RED for example

2. Execute 'split' script to split the RED team to detach from your group to join another empty group(new group of its own)

3. Make the new group able to be command from HC mode.

----

The problems is at #2. I cant tell which member is in team RED, so I cant make them join an empty group

Right ... a mini breakthru ... but requires more scripts. I have it running atm.

Using TeamStatusDialog by Dr Eyeball, I can move people to and from any team I like :)

It's not as glamorous as the one you are doing Mr Centipede so keep at it !

EDIT: On using it more I find it clunky ... what is needed is to be able to DRAG&DROP between teams using that TeamStatusDialog. THAT would answer all our prayers !

Edited by Kremator

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/getGroupIconParams

Would that help at all Mr Centipede?

Probably not, as it will only returns group icons params. [color,text,scale,visible]. But I'll try it anyway.

I may have a bit of an idea. You dont necessarily need to assign coloured teams. Just select whoever you want to split, give them a move order, select 'split' from action menu, then using formationMembers _unitname you could probably be able to split them. Havent work on the details yet.

But if we can get their colour then we could identify them for the new team. Looking at the wiki you can also set colour.

Have asked if Dr Eyeball also could modify his TeamStatusDialog for drag&drop team members - that would also do it.

Hmm your idea may work well. If you need any testing then ask - only too willing to help.

I wish I knew how to code to help you out mate. Unfortunately I can only help with 'vision'

Not really, havent got the motivation to start working on it... been busy playing the game :D

[edit] do you mind to give the link for this TeamStatusDialog you're talking about?

Edited by Mr_Centipede

If you go into the latest Devastation you will get it.

I understand about playing .... make sure you get your fair share of it :)

Hello all, in regards to splitting your teams as you want to, I think I finally got it. Using groupSelectedUnits _unit

What you need to do, is select the units in your group, press 0-0-1 for radio ALPHA and voila, you have new group that can be commanded via high command.

to regroup them back, use the action menu "regroup", and it will regroup all split teams back to main group

the test mission is only 2kb, here's the download link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/260600997/Cent_HCS.utes.rar.html

have fun

Edited by Mr_Centipede

WOOT ! Gonna try that now mate !

Works perfectly. Shame that it could be via an action menu item but we need BIS to allow us to modify the 'intuitive' team menu with our own changes.

Good job mate.

PS Have made it MP.... gonna test it with some mates later.

Edited by Kremator

yeah, I agree. I need to find a tutorial about making a dialog box or something. Or if anyone know if we could mod the command menu?

Edited by Mr_Centipede

Howdy, AM following this with much interest. Is there any chance of posting this to something like Armaholic since rapidshare limit is apparently 10 downloads on this file? Thanks!

Los