Sign in to follow this  
topeira

DANGER compared to AWARE modes.

i know what the manual says about these but did anyone test to see what is the difference between the two in urban and rural environments?

all i could tell is that the AI seems to advance slower in DANGER and if u need them to follow u or follow orders quickly than this is not the mode to set them to.

The AI use a LOT more caution in Danger than in Aware. They'll also use covering and whatnot in Danger, but not in Aware (at least not frequently).

You could make yourself a squad leader and play with the settings yourself in the editor to find out more about the various states.

DANGER means they will move slowly and usually go prone when stationary. New in Arma 2 is bounding overwatch...some move while others cover. They have no problems following but if you stand up and run full-speed for a good distance you will leave them behind.

AWARE means they stand fully upright and run at the normal pace. If they engage enemies they temporarily go into DANGER mode but when the threat is dealt with they revert back to AWARE.

Doesn't seem to be any difference between urban and open areas.

how can i tell if the AI is in DANGER or AWARE if i dont tell them to do that?

i would like AIs to spend their time on AWARE but when they see enemies they should switch to DANGER.

when i am a commander of a unit than i can tell them what to do, but if i want the enemies or independent friendly squads to switch from AWARE to DANGER, how can i go about doing that?

They are in AWARE and they take orders from you. They wont do things without orders from their leader. You tell them to go DANGER.

If you want to do what you say - that your guys under you do what they want - you probably need to make an addon for it. Or maybe you can do something else. Not sure. Bet someone with more insight will tell you though.

Alex

how can i tell if the AI is in DANGER or AWARE if i dont tell them to do that?

i would like AIs to spend their time on AWARE but when they see enemies they should switch to DANGER.

when i am a commander of a unit than i can tell them what to do, but if i want the enemies or independent friendly squads to switch from AWARE to DANGER, how can i go about doing that?

By default the a.i. already does this, their normal state is aware, if they detect enemy presence they react to it and go into danger, on their own.

If you want to make a bunch of squads go into danger if only one squad detected the enemy just give them the magic waypoint "Guard".

If you want better control use a triggers and waypoints, search the mission editing section ;) .

Its not 100% danger though. If i move with aware during fire they will move with me. If i set them to danger they will be much more resistant to moving. Also they stand up much more without telling them danger.

So its not 100% danger they go into when clashing with enemy AI. At least not on my PC.

Alex

By default the a.i. already does this, their normal state is aware, if they detect enemy presence they react to it and go into danger, on their own.

If you want to make a bunch of squads go into danger if only one squad detected the enemy just give them the magic waypoint "Guard".

If you want better control use a triggers and waypoints, search the mission editing section ;) .

i dont think GUARD will get them to go to danger mode.

guard will only let the AIs know the whereabouts of enemies even if their own squad doesnt see them but other squads do, so the AIs in GUARD can engage. i dont think GUARD means DANGER.

And what is the difference between SAFE and AWARE? Is there any point in using SAFE?

Is there any point in using SAFE?

Absolutely. I don't want to have my missions full of guys always on alert, it's less immersive.

And what is the difference between SAFE and AWARE? Is there any point in using SAFE?

Safe means there weapon is lowered towards the ground and they walk or run in a more casual fashion.

This is useful mainly in the campaign when you are in your own base and having to talk with people. It's pretty much only for looks but it does add to the atmosphere when your squad is walking through basecamp and they aren't hunched over sighting their weapons all the time.

You yourself can enter safemode, lowering your weapon. I think it's ctrl R maybe? Can't remember.

I meant when I am a leader of a squad, not in editor. Of course I know it's useful in mission making.

edit: bonchie already replied, thanks

Safe mode: men will keep up with you (squad leader) my running if needed.

Aware: They will move more cautiously and lag behind if leader runs fast.

Danger: They move very slowly and go prone often. They will not run to catch up.

I found a potential bug (have to check tracker). If you make waypoints for an AI squad and you make the first as safe, when they are attacked they will not react.

I use aware and danger a lot when I am commanding a squad. Most times I split my men into at least 2 groups. Usually I have 4 or so men under Red, and myself and 3 or so under White. I have all groups under aware, but stay crouched. I then bound to contact with the Red Team. Once in contact I switch everyone to danger.

As stated in danger the AI will bound within their group when they move. So when I'm advancing in contact it takes a lot slower, but my men do not run into fire near as much. I will also then bound with my White Team. I will send them ahead and cover while I move ahead, etc.

ArmA is a lot slower, but I find the combat a lot more fullfilling.

I use aware and danger a lot when I am commanding a squad. Most times I split my men into at least 2 groups. Usually I have 4 or so men under Red, and myself and 3 or so under White. I have all groups under aware, but stay crouched. I then bound to contact with the Red Team. Once in contact I switch everyone to danger.

As stated in danger the AI will bound within their group when they move. So when I'm advancing in contact it takes a lot slower, but my men do not run into fire near as much. I will also then bound with my White Team. I will send them ahead and cover while I move ahead, etc.

ArmA is a lot slower, but I find the combat a lot more fullfilling.

Spot on mate, literally a mirror to what i do (with voice activation too for speed).

I notice "stay crouched" is very nice in Arma 2. Arma 1 it was annoying as they would crouch non stop, now they scoot over ground while keeping low (looks very authentic too). I have really started to use aware/stay crouched - danger/stay crouched alot recently with Arma2. Realy gives the feel and action of being near enemy and having to creep at speed over open ground to cover with your head down.

I tend to go for groups of 2 with a medic with me staying at the rear, and flanking with 2 teams of 2 and myself and medic firing long range / suppression.

Off topic I guess but most have answered the main points :)

Edited by mrcash2009

i've been using STAY CROUCHED as well. in the editor im using the "this setunitpos "middle" to force units to crouched position, but the only issue is that i dont know how to make them crouched only when they spot enemies and not all the time.

when they are CROUCHED not only they behave kinda more realistic but they react FASTER to enemies. i think its cuz when they are not crouched they spend a lot of time jogging from point A to B and if they spot enemies while joging it takes them a long time to stop running and aim. when they are crouched they are often ready to fire as soon as an enemy is seen.

Edited by topeira

I wish the command "STAY LOW" will make them go crouch and prone. never standing. Much better in combat I think

SAFE is more important for vehicle convoys you're in command of. The vehicles will prefer roads in this mode and drive with open hatches. In AWARE they close the hatches and in DANGER they're choosing more direct/faster off road routes.

DANGER sets units to speed FULL which results in ignoring unit coherence. It's not that there're units staying behind, the others are advancing on their own.

Read this http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_AI_Combat_Modes

I wish the command "STAY LOW" will make them go crouch and prone. never standing. Much better in combat I think

STAY LOW is a bit mis-leading. It is actually the default stance where your squad will mostly copy your stance or go crouched or prone in lower combat behaviour modes (stealth, danger), especially when they percieve danger or aren't moving. Just use STAY CROUCHED if you want them to crouch.

Edited by synch_c

I find explicitly stating what mode you want your men in before or just as a batlle starts increases the life expectancy of the squad loads.

Ive seen various posts a while ago stating that the ai is not improved from Arma but i believe this is somewhat down to not having the right mode selected + a good stance as stated above.

Numerous times when i started playing Arma 2 with my men set to aware all the time I'd walk/crouch/prone into various combat situations and my squad would get WTFPWNED. They do seem to temporarily gauge the situation as danger but it is sketchy.

Well, Kororas the group leader makes the decision about the combat mode. When someone above wrote ai will switch itself from aware to danger and back this is only gone happen with an ai group leader. Units under your command will obey you to stay aware in the same situation without you ordering a change in behavior.

Does anyone else not like the new Aware mode when you compare it to OFP and ArmA?

I don't like how only a few guys in aware will walk with their weapons aimed at something and the rest walk like they are in safe mode. I noticed this in a mission I made but then I also saw it in the Russian Infantry Mission in Electrovostak or whatever. It was really annoying seeing my squadmates walk through a hostile town like they were going for a stroll through our base.

Hello,

This is the third time I've had to write out my post so sorry if I keep it brief. Things keep popping up while I'm typing it and by the time I go to post it the board has logged me out and I'm back to square one!

I don't like how only a few guys in aware will walk with their weapons aimed at something and the rest walk like they are in safe mode.

I've only seen them do this while waiting for other squad members to catch up after falling behind, for example if they have had to take a longer path around obstacles such as buildings or trees. When they return to formation the squad returns to their normal jogging pace. The way it is now looks more natural to me, rather than them all having their guns held up as if they are in urban combat while advancing slowly across open ground waiting for the others to catch up.

I am very impressed with the Danger behaviour mode as well. I like the way it is slower paced and the 'overwatch' features etc, it feels much more immersive. It is a big improvement over ArmA 1 and it appears to be very effective. Just need to fix the AI leaders from running too far ahead of the group and it will be near enough perfect I think.

As a whole you could say I am happy with the AI in ArmA 2. I've read a lot of posts on this board about how some members feel the AI is rubbish, but personally I've seen the AI do some very smart and impressive things throughout my missions. When you look at the scope of things I think it is very good, certainly a big improvement over ArmA 1 in my opinion - including the way they act in different 'behaviour' modes.

James

Edited by jch5pilot

I agree, I feel that people have a high expectancy level regards the AI. AS if this open ended sim will somehow make it so that AI works so well you do practically nothing at all.

The AI as a team, worked slow and careful, thinking through your situation using tactics like the Tactical guide can really apply to even SP AI play. You play it right, play it as if its nearly real in terms of what would you do if you were stood in that situation and use the tools available to control the AI (some people complain its "micro managing" I say its flexibility and complete control) and it does shine through how it can work.

If you just run around, clicking go here, go there, and hit danger mode alot and tell them to attack when you see an enemy .. and wonder why things end up messy, then don't be shocked.

I don't like how only a few guys in aware will walk with their weapons aimed at something and the rest walk like they are in safe mode.

Why aim at something while you're moving? The only time I can see this happening in real life is when someone is room clearing where the fraction of a second it takes you to ready your weapon could be the difference between life and death.