Sign in to follow this  
THEBLITZ6794

chain of command

is there finally a chain of command implemented (where theres an overall commander who has 3 or so subordinates who in turn have a few subordinates, ect)

Nope, all you would get is one squad leader with everyone on the battlefield in their squad

you could likely do this in the editor with the synchronize function

There is a "high command" module that allows 1 leader to have several groups in RTS-style control... rather like the CEX mod, only not as good. You can only have high command one level deep however.

There is a "high command" module that allows 1 leader to have several groups in RTS-style control... rather like the CEX mod, only not as good. You can only have high command one level deep however.

so its from the general to the troops? no subordinates?

It's just like the regular command menu only kinda parallel.

Regular command

Group Leader

Group Member

Group Member

Group Member

Group Member

Group Member

High command

High commander

Subordinate Group

Subordinate Group

Subordinate Group

Subordinate Group

You cannot have a subordinate group have a command tree below them. It's "one level deep."

Yeah, was really disappointed with the high command myself :(

Actually, you can have a few levels of sub/commander/sub/commander/sub etc .. levels in chain of command .. sort of.

You have a High Command Commander connected to sub units then have those subs units connected to HC commander which in turn connect to sub.

So a Company commander you will have direct control over you platoon leaders

But to control squads you have to:

Team Siwtch to plaoon leaders to command squads or Have another human player control platoon leaders in MP.

I can upload a mission later if still confusing.

I actually hadn't tested the idea of multiple levels like that. That would of course only work with human commanders as the AI has absolutely no idea to do high command and won't touch it with a ten meter pole.

Well there is way to command AI sub levels AI .. well more like follow leader. Has bugs but works if you squad to follow platoon leader.

I will post command later when back home.

While it's not very complex, I like the High Command Module... At least compared to what we had in ArmA (nothing)

I built a company, with a company commander, and a couple platoons, and the company commander had the platoon leaders as subordinates, then the platoon leaders had the squad leaders as subordinates, then the squad leaders each had 2 fireteam leaders as subordinates who had the standard BIS group chain of command attached to them for their fireteams.

If you use

this setvariable ["chainofcommand",true];

in the company commander's High Command Module init line, and issue an order to move to one of the platoon leaders, it will send the order all the way down to the fireteams (eventually) and they will move in formation behind their platoon and squad leaders.

What I really like though is the idea that this might be useful in multiplayer, for more organized simulation style games, where commanders would be able to easily set waypoints for the players below them commanding their groups. Then the people who really need micro control over their subordinates during combat, the fireteam leaders, since they're the ones that will be closest to each other on the battlefield and be issuing direct combat orders, will have the standard "group" control over other players/AI that are with them.

Edited by Pyrodox

While it's not very complex, I like the High

If you use

this setvariable ["chainofcommand",true];

in the company commander's High Command Module init line, and issue an order to move to one of the platoon leaders, it will send the order all the way down to the fireteams (eventually) and they will move in formation behind their platoon and squad leaders.

Ok, thats pretty slick. I was unaware of that feature. It looks like it was added in 1.01.

Do we know how deep it can go? For example can I have an Army, then Divisions, Regiments, Battalions, Companies & Batteries, then Platoons, Squads, and then the Teams? Or are we limited?

That command works pretty well. Only problem, the following squad follows too closely to each other .. waY too close!

The CoC mod was a great module and I wish they implmented it in this game!

I have had one mission (SP) using HC where I had battallion size force attacking the southern coast. Of course I had to team switch between different platoon leaders to get squads moving .. but was epic!

I hope coc make an arma2 mod soon!

I've given it a try and it's problematic. I tried a 3-level system where a company commander had 3 platoons and each platoon commander had 3 squads.

Using just the init line command in the HC Commander module for the company commander, the platoons would follow orders but the platoon commander himself would stay in position. The squads would also pile up right on top of each other, not moving in any sort of formation with respect to other groups.

I've given it a try and it's problematic. I tried a 3-level system where a company commander had 3 platoons and each platoon commander had 3 squads.

Using just the init line command in the HC Commander module for the company commander, the platoons would follow orders but the platoon commander himself would stay in position. The squads would also pile up right on top of each other, not moving in any sort of formation with respect to other groups.

Check and make sure the subordinates are set up correctly, I had problems with this at first. Each Platoon Leader, Squad Leader and Fireteam Leader would be synchronized to both a High Command and a Subordinate module. Then the Subordinate modules would link to the next higher level in the command.

It's not perfect, but I can get large size AI groups to move to relative positions where I want them to, automatically. Not really great formations, but it gets them there.

But, like I said before, my favorite part is the idea this can be used in multiplayer, so a player commander can set waypoints for player Squad Leaders, and Squad Leaders can set waypoints for player Fireteam Leaders in a more integrated manner.

I can see the orders being passed down the chain. I set the platoon to "formation: column" and all of the squads move into that formation within the squad. However the nature of their movements leaves a lot to be desired. If I give a platoon commander a move order he merely carbon-copy sends it down the CoC to the squads and you get 3 squads trying to move to the exact same spot.

I've also noticed different behavior if the init line code was put in just the top HC commander module or in all HC commander modules.

This is really awesome, definately going to check this out..

Couldn't there be included some feature, so that you could choose to have your subordinates select an "approach" for their squads..

So that you could have "squad formations", so to speak.

F.ex. choosing "wedge" meaning that the squads would move in a line with a squad a bit behind the others (just like selecting formation in a squad)

This would ofcourse not make the subordinate think for himself, but at least the groups wouldn't move in a big crowd...

Just a thought?

This is really awesome, definately going to check this out..

Couldn't there be included some feature, so that you could choose to have your subordinates select an "approach" for their squads..

So that you could have "squad formations", so to speak.

F.ex. choosing "wedge" meaning that the squads would move in a line with a squad a bit behind the others (just like selecting formation in a squad)

This would ofcourse not make the subordinate think for himself, but at least the groups wouldn't move in a big crowd...

Just a thought?

No such options in the game right now. It would be up to BIS to implement it, or a mod-maker.

Well, since a few of you have already started discussing this, I figured I'd go ahead and show a few WIP screenshots of of CEX in ArmA2. As you can see there are quite a few tweaks that still need to be made, but the port is transitioning much smoother than initially expected. Hopefully, we can have a beta out soon for you guys to play with. Here a few screenies:

cex-1.JPG

cex-2.JPG

cex-3.JPG

Nice, I have always wanted a more involved chain of command system in OfP/ArmA/ArmA2. Will it work in MP?

GREAT!!!!! Oh I was wishing you guys would come out with a CEX for ARMA2!!!!!

Please keep us updated

Superb news about CEX !

Can't wait to get my hands on the REAL High Command :)

Great new on CEX for Arma2 ... not sure why BIS didn't just get you chaps to implement this harcoded into Arma2 to be honest. Its like High Command was a small cousin version :)

Also .. as we are talking CEX in arma 2 have you/are you going to quash the bug when switching teams leaders (they get stuck in mount mode) and also the bug where you couldn't actually get helis to land and turn off engine and wait IE they always ended up turning on engine and hovering the entire time.

Nice, I have always wanted a more involved chain of command system in OfP/ArmA/ArmA2. Will it work in MP?

Yes, there will be MP support.

you going to quash the bug when switching teams leaders (they get stuck in mount mode) and also the bug where you couldn't actually get helis to land and turn off engine and wait IE they always ended up turning on engine and hovering the entire time.

Taking note of this, we'll check it out as we get further into the port.