Sign in to follow this  
Faucon EPC

Please don't use Securom copy-protection!

If your DVD drive is acting slow when you have Securom installed

check the settings of the DVD in Device manager. Chances are Securom put your drive

into PIO mode which forces the drive to Read/write at slower speeds.

PIO mode WILL damage a drive if it's left on for too long.

it's a fallback setting when Windows has problems reading/writing disks

and is not meant to be used full time. Change it back to DMA as soon as possible.

I've lost several drives when PIO mode was set for only a few days.

concerning issue of securoms and etc

on my PC:

arma 1.03 beta (no dvd check) has 5 FPS more than secured version

21 FPS (and often lags) in 1.03/1.04, 26 FPS in no-dvd secured beta

i hate securom too

PIO mode will not damage any properly manufactured drive with unbuggy firmware ...

anything else is just urban myth ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programmed_input/output

Then a lot of people are imagining things.

Virtually every instance of damage to the head of a drive I've seen

a check of the properties shows the drive has been running in PIO

for extended periods of time. I've personaly lost several drives

of various makes to PIO mode because I didn't realize it was on

until I attempted to burn disks.

Same problem occured in the 80s with several floppy drive

accelerators doing damage to drives.

Fact of the matter is most drives shipped with systems

are victims of PIO mode damge.

Securrom needs fixing and stop forcing drives into PIO mode

it's tampering with peoples property. Nobody should be forced

to run in PIO mode and burn at 1x and 2x so they can play a game.

Then a lot of people are imagining things.

Virtually every instance of damage to the head of a drive I've seen

a check of the properties shows the drive has been running in PIO

for extended periods of time. I've personaly lost several drives

of various makes to PIO mode because I didn't realize it was on

until I attempted to burn disks.

Same problem occured in the 80s with several floppy drive

accelerators doing damage to drives.

Fact of the matter is most drives shipped with systems

are victims of PIO mode damge.

Securrom needs fixing and stop forcing drives into PIO mode

it's tampering with peoples property. Nobody should be forced

to run in PIO mode and burn at 1x and 2x so they can play a game.

I'll not deny that you've had issues that appear to be caused by SecuROM, however, I've never had this issue or seen the issues you describe when using Pioneer DVD drives, which are all I use or recommend. I'm also a member of a very large hardware and overclocking forum and can find no mention of anyone there having Securom kill their drive. It's possible that a badly written firmware may misbehave, especially if the drivers on the motherboard side of things aren't the best either.

h

drive issue is one thing, but eating by this sh** CPU and memory is other

i will repeat myself - 5 FPS more without it

21 FPS+lags and 26 FPS without lags is difference

i play only 1.03 built 58899

playing no beta patch makes me angry (loosing textures, lags, cubic models)

securom eats my CPU and memory

What about the new 1.04.59210?

haven't checked :) i have broken internet in home, i can only post/write/read here in my job , so i cannot download and test

OR YOU TALKING ABOUT 1.03 59025 ???

i couldn't start game with it

error message and i cannot start game from buit 59025

Edited by vilas

Never had any problems that i know of either. Never had a drive fail on me etc. Maybe lower performance but i cant confirm that tbh. But i have never had hardware (drives) go bust on me.

Do i love securom and its likes? No, i would rather be without any protection, but our world is fucked up in many areas and this is one result of it.

but our world is fucked up in many areas and this is one result of it.

if you think copy protection is problem for cracker than you are wrong

profesionals break it easily and "torrent" versions work better than "solid copy"

i know some persons that had enough of "protection", they were honest and when they when buying legal software for big money and they had "register, sent letter and call to receive code and unlock rest of functions" "sir, why you require second code (after VGA crash my neighbour had changed hardware code and polish-english dictionary required puting new code)" they were so pissed off that they don't buy it again

to be honest should not mean to have troubles , cause people who use cracked version of above mentioned dictionary do not care about VGA change, do not need to call elsewhere to receive code and etc.

copy protection do not help in sales, for me it even break it, cause when i hear how many troubles have people using something... knife in pocket opens :/

you know what ?

i bought once upon a time CD of one of my favourite rock bands, and it was so protected that on my discman it had pause every 30 seconds !

my hi-fi had broken laser drive, i use it as amplifier for PC and i listen from CD-rom

i put this disc in CD rom and the same problem

i returned CD to shop with anger

my friends were laughing "sucker, why haven't you bought pirated version from russians on stadion" and i was so angry that i had such problems instead of buying copy from russians to listen to music

there were many people like me and when i would see "disc is protected" i won't buy music, cause i want it to work on discman, on home PC, in car CD drive

not only in hi-fi

... amen

and if there was no beta patch for Arma2 i would return game to shop because it is lagged like hell and cubic models

i was so pissed of because of lags and missing textures that i wrote to someone from BIS cooperators and i get advice "use beta patch"

and yes

my FPS raised for 5 FPS and i have no lags now

i won't use not-beta cause it is unplayable

and i will be using beta patch untill i can

securom is FPS, CPU and memory killer

and i don't care, i simply wanna have game working with good FPS, without lags caused by securom

in my case 21 FPS and lot of lags and 26 FPS without lags is very huge difference

simply i cannot play non-beta cause then i have cubic models and soldiers are cubic-brown too and some buildings are white and without textures

so game itself is not poor, it is caused by this sick protection

copy protection do not protect developer

cause honesty is inside us and we buy it because of honesty, but from the other say we cannot be punished for our honesty by lower performance

for example my disc of Arma 1 was so scratched that i couldn't use it untill BIS release no-disc patch

my copy protection of Polish version of Arma 1 was checking disc even 14 times to start game

can you imagine checking disc 14 times ? i was spending 10 minutes to start Arma1

i had such low performance on my 1.05 ...

later BIS made 1.08 patch and 1.09 beta and than i could work on addons and play

before it simply my disc was too much scratched to start game because of this copy protection

now i have new hard disc and i cannot reinstal Arma1 and play CWR islands because of this sick copy protection

i cannot buy A1 cause it is no longer in sale

simply copy protection scratched my disc

man - not world is fucked up, software developers are

as i told above about this goddamn dictionary, can you imagine?

you buy dictionary, to run it you must enter code

you must send letter to receive code unlocking speech variant of dictionary

you must have everytime disc near by because dictionary requires it

your VGA burns and another hardware key is needed , you call guys for another code "sir, why you request other code, you received cod year ago alredy for this number" and you are so pissed off that you could have 100 USD in pocket for...

and torrent version simply work after instal, no need to call , no need to send letters, when VGA is crushed you don't beg for another code etc.

man - it is sick

i know BIS must protect their money and sales but in my case - i was near returning game to shop if not beta patch, i bought it in Poland when 1.03 beta was released

really performance grown for 5 FPS and lags disappeared , cubic models disappeared after no-cd beta patch

now my Arma2 works fluently :)

Arma 1.04 no-beta not works, cubic models, white house textures, lag for half second , 9-14 FPS near Chernogorsk or Elektrozavodsk city etc.

in beta 58899 i have 23 FPS in the same place and sometimes 28-29 FPS in forest and cars do have round wheels :)

if this beta patch was not released , you wouldn't see my addons, i would be still in Arma1 community and my copy of Arma2 would be returned to shop with argue and changed to newest Machine Head or Kreator or whatever music :D

i have no idea why this shity securom slows down my performance soooooo much, maybe i have poor LG drive 3 years old, but i won't buy new DVD just to play Arma ;P

i'd prefer 4 pizzas :D

Edited by vilas

I seriously doubt that securom checks the drive when you are already ingame. No matter how often you repeat yourself.

I personally hate DRM, it's a freakin hassle with every game I purchase. Sure, maybe have it for the first 6 months or so but then please remove it. Otherwise I just use a cracked EXE that's a no CD/DVD version.

I personally hate DRM, it's a freakin hassle with every game I purchase. Sure, maybe have it for the first 6 months or so but then please remove it. Otherwise I just use a cracked EXE that's a no CD/DVD version.

There are beta patches. I guess that securom will be removed in the future.

Welcome to the land of FADE.. :yay:

I seriously doubt that securom checks the drive when you are already ingame. No matter how often you repeat yourself.

than what causes this ?

i am not informatician, coder, programmer, i have no idea

but i was told "use beta" and... it works

i have stated this previously and will do it one more time.

BIS has every right to protect their work and prevent illegal distribution of copies. If this means burning off copies when in the DVD drive once piracy detected then be it.

BIS has every right to protect their work and prevent illegal distribution of copies.

Sadly enough this usually affects the legitimate customers more than illegitimate ones.

Sadly enough this usually affects the legitimate customers more than illegitimate ones.

would you mind explain how so? i have never had a problem running this game from the DVD!!

would you mind explain how so? i have never had a problem running this game from the DVD!!

International law allows you to have single backup copy of software. Securom makes this impossible, and when your disk gets damaged, you have to send it back to be replaced - and wait week or two. That's outlaw, but it were customers who allowed publishers to do so.

International law ....
Who is that? you have a link?
That's outlaw, but it were customers who allowed publishers to do so.
? whatever.

i have never needed to back up my DVD/CD i carefully take care of them and always store them in their boxes. I have few scratched in my car because i threw them right/left in the car.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

good luck with Intellectual property in the middle east and Asian countries.

I bought a DVD Arma 2 thinking it works like console games for several persons for one DVD. Then I install it with my legal key on my two lan PC.

When I wanted to play then there was wrote key already in use.

It's illegal to install a game on several computers, unless you've bought two or more licenses.

On top of that when I tried to play to Arma 2 on lan with the demo i downloaded, I could play on the two PC without two different demo downloaded!

A demo is supposed to demonstrate the game. The demo is free to distribute, and doesn't require a license.

i am not thinking illegal!

But you tried to do something illegal.

Securom won't stop crackers.

i have never needed to back up my DVD/CD i carefully take care of them and always store them in their boxes. I have few scratched in my car because i threw them right/left in the car.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

you ...

my Arma 1 was checked by securom 14 times !!!!!!!! before game started

my Arma 1 disc was scratched after few months of use by goddamn "orginality check"

and from disc scratch till BIS released no-dvd patch i couldn't even start oxygen viewer :/

and read yourself this :

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=78287&page=6

thanx god i don't live in your police-state america you call freedom, shame you try to push your laws in my part of world you...

my LAW allows me to have 1 copy if disc is scrached

i couldn't copy Arma 1 nor Arma 2

and i had to wait for Arma 1 beta patch to play it without DVD

now i play Arma 2 beta 1.03 58899 cause i have 20% more performance

your shity "law" makes lags on my PC

if i would downloaded cracked version from torrent i would have 30 FPS (the same as beta patch), while on legal version i have lags and 20 FPS

legal users who are honest should not feel disadvantage of using legal product

while in real it is upside down

guy who uses cracked version - all works for him

guy who uses legal - must have always free cd-rom, must call somewhere, must enter codes, must receive letters if PC is changed because old hardwarecode is not valid, must wait half minute before application start, must have 5-6 FPS less

on my Arma 1.04 full i have 22 FPS, on 1.03 BETA i have 28 FPS in the same scene

or legal user cannot listen to favourite band cause their music CD is protected that works only in hi-fi, not in car drive etc.

read what i linked

...north americans and their police-state "freedom" :/

my country allows me to have 1 copy in case of disc scratch, i couldn't copy Arma1, it is against my law regulation, who will give me back Arma1 ??

i am honest i bought software and for f** sake i want it to work NOT worse than software that i could download from torrents ! while in real it is other way :(

i have new hard disc, i reinstalled all except Arma1, now i cannot play CWR, my addons, Arma 1 because disc is too scratched to instal because goddamn securom was checking disc 8-14 times before game started

sometimes it was one minute to start Arma 1 :/

normally every software disc is used once for few years to only INSTAL program

while Arma 1 was used 1000 times and checked and turned like helicopter in DVD

now Arma1 disc looks like polishing paper

i am sory if i hurted feeling of americans, but when i heard about this "laws" my blood is boiling

i don't want policeman breath at my back, if i buy something - it must work

if i buy soft - i want disc used be ONE TIME, durring instal

Edited by vilas