Sign in to follow this  
[frl]myke

UV mapping: how?

Ok, after i was more into working with other peoples models and textures, i thought it's about time to start modelling myself. Decided to start with something rather simple so my first model is a AIM-9L Sidewinder AA missile.

So far, so goo, have the model finished and now it comes to texturing and here i'm stuck. As i've started this from scratch there is no texture i can use so i will create my own texture.

To do this, it would be helpful to have a 2D layout to work with.

I've already found out that it is possible to unwrap things and export this into a image file on which i could work. But after editing this file, it doesn't fit the selection anymore. Also, now the model is unwrapped...so how do i get it wrapped up again?

I've searched the forums but didn't found anything helpful. Most are referencing to 3ds which doesn't help me at all since i don't own (and can't afford) this piece of software.

So a step-by-step-guide would be very helpful.

Ok, after i was more into working with other peoples models and textures, i thought it's about time to start modelling myself.

I'm at the pretty much same position right now, I already have done some work, one horrible model which you can find from latest VTE and another which is just under work at the moment.

I see the texturing in two stages:

1) UV Unwrap the model.

2) Create the texture to match this unwrapping.

I'm scared if I finally learn the first part, I will most definitely fail in the second. Heh we'll see.

To do this, it would be helpful to have a 2D layout to work with.

O2PE includes an unwrap function (Surfaces -> Unwrap Structure ...) which should work pretty good an simple structures.

I use it this way:

- Select the structure you want to unwrap and change to top view

- Open a UV-editor

- Select "Unwrap Structure ..." function and reselect you complete structure

- In the UV-editor select "planar mapping" (tab-key) and select copy afterwards

- In the O2 window select undo to undo the "Unwrap Structure ..."

- In the UV-Editor select paste to regain the UV-mapping

Now you shoud have your structure more or less correct UV-mapped, you only need to move the UV-maps, so they do not overlapp.

On more complex structures, I use Wings-3D's unwrap function.

3rd party unwrapping tools are the way to go. Check out Ultimate Unwrap 3D - served me well as I was learning how to model/texture.

And like modEmMaik said, Wings3D is another good one. You can model in that program as well. It isn't as advanced as 3DS Max, but its a hell of a lot more flexible than O2.

uv mapping is just a transformation from 3d space (xyz) to 2d space (uv) and its called mapping because u virtually just giving the software a "map" of where the texture pixel should go. Once you map it (call it unwrap or whatever) you do not have to "wrap it up again" as it is just a map. The advantage of a uv-map is that you can fix the texture-model relationship even after you drew the texture by modifying the uv map vertecies rather then moving the pixels on the texture.

As for the rest, people here are right, you are better off leaving O2 for the post-processing (selection-names, geo LOD, proxy placement) rather than modeling, there are a few free or cheap modeling tools which can provide you with increased functionality and have much better documentation.

In order to get the UV layout into a 2d application, the easiest thing is to take a screenshot of the UVs and then fiddle with it in some other program until you've matched it up.

A tip - make sure you don't have objects (non-mirrored) sharing the same UV space, otherwise you will have limitations when making your ambient occlusion texture... which limits your implementation of the "super" shaders.

Hey mike,

soul assasin described pretty well what UV-map is. *uv unwrap being the process of reaching the UV map*.

Regarding further information, the same technics apply to basically all 3d modeling programs. Yes, some, such as 3ds max have some features that would allow you to get the uv unwrapped easier than other. But this is not the point. I would suggest using for modeling a 3rd party software. Don't worry about max, maya or other really professional and expensive tools (i use 3dmax because i have a license for it for my architecture projects, otherwise, i wouldn't bother just for ArmA).

My suggestion would be to get blender, which is 100% free, it's a lot more flexible than O2 (you will still need O2 nevertheless, but it's not really the best tool to use for modeling) and there are plenty tutorials about it.

Also, 3rd party UV Unwrap programs such as UV Unwrap (there are some others as well, but can't really remember them now) might come in useful.

Conclusion - there are a few ppl who are actually modeling in 3rd party programs, due to o2 limitation (and well, seeming to be a lefty once used with a more professional software)

Edited by PuFu

I'd disagree and say that there are a lot of people modeling in O2. I agree its far from being the best modeling program, but its far from useless.

I'd disagree and say that there are a lot of people modeling in O2. I agree its far from being the best modeling program, but its far from useless.

yes, correct...useless is an overstatement. But i think most if not all who have access to any other modeling program will use that instead....

could have something to do with my "love" for o2 ;) previous post edited

oh, agreed. If people have experience and access to other 3D programs, then those are indeed a better direction to take, but for those taking it up casually, I'd say its possibly easier to stay with O2 instead of figuring out two or three different pieces of software.

I know I found it to be easier than the daunting prospect of learning how to use, say, 3DSMAX. I also find the vertex based modeling to be more to my way of modeling.

My workframe:

Make game-model (most detailed res lod) in O2. For me, like Messiah says, the vertex based modeling fits my workstyle.

Export to Modo, for Unwrapping as i find that modo has a nice interface and does the job pretty good. While in Modo i do ambient bakes and use it to reduce my game-model into several reduced lods (edge remove tool is one of the very handy tools for that).

Although i recently trying to make a high polycount model to bake my normal maps (in modeling it and baking in modo).

As for Modo unwrap tutorials, check the internet and train yourself. The basic isn't that hard...the how-to-properly unwrap your model depends on to much point (model shape, model build, your way of..etc). So that is something you need to learn and experience yourself.

As for Modo unwrap tutorials, check the internet and train yourself.

There is so many tutorials that its kind of hard to see what is what I need ;)

Would you have some tutorial link at hand which yourself found to be useful?

The basic isn't that hard...the how-to-properly unwrap your model depends on to much point (model shape, model build, your way of..etc)
I have small problem that if I have lets say a box shape, then myTexture.tga in a dir; how do I apply myTexture.tga into the box? :)

I'm planning to make some small basic tutorials for modo unwrapping and model reducing and some helpfull tips i often use (part of the project Rock is supporting, if he thinks it fits the project). Don't expect big things....in the end, tutorials are only a guideline and not a 'how you should do it on your individual model' guide.

I have small problem that if I have lets say a box shape, then myTexture.tga in a dir; how do I apply myTexture.tga into the box?

Are you refuring to modo or O2?

If modo, the most simple way is to simply load your image (tga) and drag it over your boxmodel.

If you are working with several textures or different types of maps (normal maps etc) you should setup a material tree.

I'm planning to make some small basic tutorials for modo unwrapping

This would be really helpful, I believe I already asked this some time ago :)

Are you refuring to modo or O2?
Modo :)
If modo, the most simple way is to simply load your image (tga) and drag it over your boxmodel.
I honestly spent the last 10 minutes with your post open in browser while I went through modo menus and stuff to try to look this "load your image", the only load image was from the File -> Load Image, but when I selected that and the tga... nothing happened? (this was on Modo 401, didn't try 302).
If you are working with several textures or different types of maps (normal maps etc) you should setup a material tree.
I've watched some videos which talk about materials, so are materials in other words textures or something different?

All I wanted to do is to have my simple 3d model in Modo, UV unwrap it (as poorly as I now can do) and then apply texture to it. Right now if I do model first in Modo, I have to export it to O2 and apply texture there, then bring it again back to Modo to uv unwrapping with texture on it :)

Edited by W0lle

A quick pic with hopefully helps you with the texture(s)/material issue:

image.jpg

Blame BIS for the 19th century 100kb limite.

1. Find the Image tab (last in the row of Item List/Vertex Map List/Color Picker...). This sort of like the O2 texture liberary.

2. Select LOAD IMAGE. Repeat in case of multiple textures...

3. Select your model (or at least those items that will share the same texture). In my case that is Matr: Lowpoly.

That will create a main 'layer' where you will be able to select the model name (layer) etc..

The green bolb in the render tree allows you to controle the smoothing of that selected model.

Then press Add Layer (same tab window Shader tree - right side top) and add Image map. Load your texture (note you can directly load your texture there as well...in the end they will end up in the texture liberary too).

Right click on its effect and change it into what it needs to be (diffuse color/normal/etc...).