Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

ArmA2 1.03 Impressions - ALL Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

1.02 Chat box was obscured by previous text.

1.03 Chat box is half way up my screen

Love the new MP mission selection UI :yay:

right so i can stop asking this question!!! lol when a new patch comes out do you need to put the previous patches on too, or does the newest patch always cover all previous patches and their objectives?! thanks for the reply

:D

right so i can stop asking this question!!! lol when a new patch comes out do you need to put the previous patches on too, or does the newest patch always cover all previous patches and their objectives?! thanks for the reply

:D

Covered in the txt file released with the patch, try reading that.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:

--------------------

- ANY ORIGINAL VERSION OF ARMA 2 from 1.00 to 1.02 other than the Steam version

all i can say at the moment is wow and i havent even bought the game yet. I was just going through the screenshot topic and i was truely amazied at the detail in the pics. i mean some of them accually look real and not computer gfx. So i think i might accually buy this game but i would love to know wat it would run like on my system which is

quad core Q6600 OC @3.4ghz

4gig DDR2 ram

gtx295 gfx card

windows vista

so wat do u think should i bite the bullet and get the game or should i wait it out longer

Edited by Ghastous

-Liking that AI move bent down (crouch run) when you do.

-Liking the new weapon impact effects.

-Liking the way buildings go down now (think its new in 1.03 or i missed it before).

Well just some impressions of the good stuff 1.03 braught us.

Alex

Try the demo mate? :cool:

have tried the demo thought it was ok nothing special as the game runs like a dog but it is fun but just wanting to know if the full game is more polished then the demo

have tried the demo thought it was ok nothing special as the game runs like a dog but it is fun but just wanting to know if the full game is more polished then the demo

That could be an issue with the gpu. Unfortunately at this point the game doesn't seem to support dual card gpu's or sli well, you might have to do some tweaking to get it working properly.

hmmmm not making a game for dual cards thats bad i thought this was the top of the range game but they miss out the big cards lol

+Some campaign bugs fixed (I honestly couldnt think of anthing else to say... :p )

-Sound bugs out/gets distorted in very very heavy firefights

-Game hangs for 0.5~1 second every few minutes

-AI now acts like they need hearing aids. They kept their behaviour in aware when i shot several bullets close to them from +-200 meters away and only changed to combat once i hit one of them.

That could be an issue with the gpu. Unfortunately at this point the game doesn't seem to support dual card gpu's or sli well, you might have to do some tweaking to get it working properly.

well my card isnt really a dual card as its one of the new single PCB cards so its 2 GPUs on 1 card

[edit] bought the full game and to my amazement it runs like a charm on high settings and 1980x1080 and 3d 100% and im totaly enjoying it. also my 1st arma game to hehe

Edited by Ghastous

After playing quite a bit more i find that performanxce in 1.03 is substantially improved for me. it feels much smoother and the hdr effects seem less over the top. loving it! thanks BIS.

After playing quite a bit more i find that performanxce in 1.03 is substantially improved for me. it feels much smoother and the hdr effects seem less over the top. loving it! thanks BIS.

I've actually found on a few of the user made missions the performance has shot down, not just for me but for all of us. Fps is now like 10-15.

Since upgrading to v1.03 I can't play the campaign I'm on which seems to be the same for others in Manhatten it won't load the autosave and keeps kicking me out to windows. I've had it working once when I re-named a save game to a autosave but now even that doesn't work. I deleted my .cfg file to let refresh the system details but for now I'm stumped and can't play the game. So far I've re-installed an OS purchased a new 4870x2 all to play this game (I'm a big fan of OFP and upgraded my last PC just for that) I know its daft but every now and again a special game is made but this for me so far is unplayable. Any ideas if needs be how to I skip manhatten and play the campaign from there on.

Ste Lea

longwinger the save game doesn't work to load in a patch game since it was saved in a older version of the game obiously, thats something I have seen in many other games too...

Furthermore, the patch notes mention this very thing, some people should learn to read.

Planck

while these impressions are all well and good i'm not really feeling the love, it seems like these impressions are from people new the whole experience. I've been playing OpF since it came out (and still do), missed Armed Assault due to lack of money for upgrade.

I have now assembled a new rig and am about a week away from purchasing ArmA 2. I would like to hear from peeps who were there from the beginning and can make a comparison on game play based on previous titles, from a simulator perspective.

while these impressions are all well and good i'm not really feeling the love, it seems like these impressions are from people new the whole experience. I've been playing OpF since it came out (and still do), missed Armed Assault due to lack of money for upgrade.

I have now assembled a new rig and am about a week away from purchasing ArmA 2. I would like to hear from peeps who were there from the beginning and can make a comparison on game play based on previous titles, from a simulator perspective.

I'll try to help...

OFP:

I bought OFP around release day, never bought the expansions though. I vaguely recall regular patch releases and incremental progress reports that were awesome, especially since many patches included additional content..an apache if I recall.

The campaign was quite amazing too, I got through the whole thing and it was only one or two patches after release when I tried to. It wasn't an issue and never remember anything show-stopping keeping me from finishing the campaign. Loved OFP and messed with the editor for many years.

ARMA1:

Found out ARMA came out and had no idea it had to do with BIS/Codemasters issues or that it was a descendant of OFP. Didn't realize this until a friend showed me a video of it and I picked it up right away about the time that 1.08 was released. It was a major let down. Couldn't play it on my current hardware setup due to incompatibility with my top of the line GPU at the time.

It was a major fail and I only ever did the 1st mission of the campaign and messed with the editor a little. Never did anymore than that and never got my money's worth like OFP...went be recently to play and it works amazingly wonderful at 1.14 and on my current hardware setup, what a difference a year makes. Still working on campaign now and performance is great...a little to late to make a difference on my feelings toward ARMA. Never got the expansion after hearing what a waste it was for many.

ARMA2:

So ARMA2 comes out and I'm like great, it'll have all the fixes they made in ARMA1 but with better graphics and a new campaign! yay!....I was so wrong.

I felt swindled again, just to be sure I recently bought OFP:Gold to play over again and was amazed by just how well it worked and how much fun it was even to this day because it worked like it should and did not have any of the fustrations of ARMA1/ARMA2.

ARMA2 worked on my hardware setup, but still can't get past the 2nd or 3rd missions in the campaign. Get a CTD or lockup about an average of 1/hour or so. I haven't found a smooth/unlaggy multiplayer experience yet. But boy howdy are the graphics pretty and the editor is hours of fun.

Frustrating is that bugs from OFP that were fixed are now in ARMA2, bugs from ARMA1 that were fixed are now in ARMA2, so it's like starting all over but without the stability of the original OFP relase and with prettier graphics.

This is just my impression and opinion and is by no means representation of everyone's experience. But this is my history and experience of my love/hate relationship with the OFP series :)

1.03 hasn't fixed much for me in what I saw as problems, but hopefully future patches will, if it is like ARMA1 it should be about 6 months to a year from now.

I still make massive battles in OFP cause it doesn't kill my computer and I can spend hours on it without it crashing and I play ARMA2 when I want to see pretty pictures

@Grub

As another person that has played since the beginning, I say go ahead and get it, a large percentage of problems people are having are due to their setup and hardware, they are in a minority compared to people that have no problems that break the game.

I won't say you won't experience a glitch or two but nothing that won't be sorted or that you can fix yourself with adjustments.

The game is simply superb.

Planck

@Grub

I'm not the best person to answer you as I've only played Operation Flashpoint back in 2001 and now ARMA2 (never knew about ARMA1) .... BUT I can say three things:

1) Patch 1.03 has fixed many issues in the campaign for me, and you can be sure that future patches will fix more problems, BIS are committed to the game.

2) I have had very little problems with the game itself, yes there are campaign mission errors in 1.03 still but overall the game to me is 80% polished and I've had 0 crashes, in over 10 hours of gameplay.

3) When you order that new machine, make sure you get a FAST cpu which you will be able to overclock to at least 3.5ghz... for example the i7. THe game is very CPU intensive and the more cores and ghz you have the better. I find its only moderately GPU intensive at 22" resolution.

Impression is: Bad, waiting for the new patch, hope to see the Bradley, maybe in the Exp. Why are there the same bugs and bugfixes from the old OFP?

Having a lot of CTD after 1.03, more than with 1.02, always telling about RAM problems. I got a AMD 6400 BE, dual of course, 2.0 Gb RAM Corsair, 4870 512 Mb, 10000 RPM Hard Disk Velociraptor and Win XP 32 bit fresh of 2 weeks.

Absolutely mindbending. It's like a Fulda Gap sandbox. Yes - it's tough as hell, and I am dying constantly, but it feels tremendously authentic. I was so horribly disappointed with COD4 and its need to force me down a specific path. A game hasn't impressed me this much with its scope and ambition since Combat Mission or X-Com. I'm not going to be any good at this game for a long long time, and I don't care - because the journey will be breathtaking.

Hehe good old X-com. :)

The journey is indeed the real sweet thing in this game as there is so much to learn and so many ways to play it. Not only game mode wise but with certain people youll find it gets funnier and funnier until you down right feel some sessions as real experiences.

Keep testing everything and start in small steps having fun in the editor, and you will learn gradually to do cooler things with time. You can have hours and hours of fun just messing in the editor alone - then add another playable unit and tell a mate to get on and test what youve done - just like that.

So welcome and good to have you aboard. :)

Alex