Sign in to follow this  
garack666

Dedi server with 2500 ping ?

Hi my dedi test server showed 2500 ping in server browser..why?

I can join and play normal..

ports are open..

please explain i host my server threw a company and i see over 100 server is the browser with ? or 2500 ping

Several of my squad have experienced this in the past few days on our deicated server (leased). I just assumed it was some sort of reporting error thru Gamespy (I've not seen it happen yet). Most are reporting it as they log out of the server.

Take a look at what I wrote here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1483725&postcount=20

There is a problem somewhere. I know how to setup firewalls to run correctly :)

Xeno

You are the owner of Domination Mission, right? Just need to thank you, I mostly play on domination, I decided to create my own server, I have only 0.5MB upload and I limited players to 10, do you think that is alright? I tried join the game and evertything is fine, it appears on internet server list of ARMA2, however, everytime is no one playing, status is "creating" and I would like it to be "playing" or "briefing" even when there is 0 players. Sorry, I'm noob and this is my first dedicated server.

My server.cfg file is:

//server.cfg

passwordAdmin="xxxxxx";

password="";

hostname="Portugal Killers";

maxPlayers=10;

motd[]=

{

"Welcome to Portuguese ARMA2 Coop,ENJOY!"

};

motdInterval=3;

voteThreshold=0,33;

voteMissionPlayers=3;

reportingIP="arma2pc.master.gamespy.com";

logFile="server_console.log";

//checkfiles[]={"HWTL\dta\data3d.pbo","dta\data3d.pbo"};

equalModRequired=0;

kickDuplicate=0;

verifySignatures=0;

disableVoN=0;

vonCodecQuality=5;

3rdPersonView=1;

persistent=0;

Netstats=0;

BattlEye=0;

//Cheat detection

//checkfile=0; //1=slow 0=defult

//onHackedData = "ban (_this select 0)"; //auto ban hacked addons //

//onDifferentData = "kick (_this select 0)"; //auto kick modified files

//onUnsignedData = "kick (_this select 0)"; //auto kick Unsigned files

class Missions

{

class co40_Domination_1_17TA2_West_AI

{

template = co40_Domination_1_17TA2_West_AI.Chernarus;

cadetMode = 1;

};

};

Thanks

Anyone figured out what exactly is causing this yet? I DMZ'd the server and turned off the routers filters (DDWRT) and still it shows up 2500. Same result on WinXP and Linux 1.05 dedserver.

If one thing is sure is that it's not actually 2500ms , it's just something the game shows when it has problems pinging the server. Perhaps that's what it shows when the request times out or something?

Something you could try just for testing is try use hamachi, as it goes around all of these stuff. If that doesn't work with hamachi either then you know you have a bigger issue than just port-related stuff. Note that the server will not show up on LAN due to a bug in hamachi, but you should still be able to connect it by using its hamachi IP.

My ping is between 1-5 when I connect or view on the LAN -or Remote- screen. I connected it directly to the Verizon Fios router. Theirs a ICMP setting in the Verizon router, which was one of the settings I tried first, didn't help. DMZ'd = didn't help. Rebooting comps and routers after each setting=didn't help. Everything gives me the same result. I have to put it all back the way it was after all this. :P

I've never used Hamachi. That's a tunneling app right? Never used it... I'll try.

If I get a correct ping I'll point the finger at Verizon. If I don't I'll point the finger at GameSpy. lol. ;)

EDIT: Also I have a dual boot WinXP/Linux same result on both OS's, just as a note. The servers work great on both, just the ping on the internet page is reporting wrong (2500) as mentioned before. I was pretty confident my network settings were good in the first place, eh what can ya do? I'll try that Hamachi and report back.

UPDATE: Ah k I see what hamachi is. Its a software auto-VPN deal, so that won't help since my only problem is the ping count on the Internet page. My real Internet ping is actually 64 when I do it from a prompt so it should be reporting 64 not 2500. LAN/Remote is 2 average. I'll live with it since theirs nothing I can do. Almost zero people want to join since it looks so high, that's what really sucks. :P

UPDATE: Ugh. OK I'm officially blind! j/k. But for some reason I thought I had computer+server>switch>gateway. But I forgot I had computer+server>wap/router>gateway and the switch>wap/router eh retarded. So it was just a matter of opening the port on the wap/router+gateway to let both comps through. I need a Gigabit wap/router with at least 8 ports. Anyways, now all is good. At least I got an updated firmware for the wap/router out of the mess. :P

Edited by Rexxenexx

Great, I'm glad it's working for you.

I just bought a D-Link Xtreme N Gaming Router (DGL-4500) - hoping that it would magically fix my 2500 ping problem when I host Arma 2 OA from my PC. It's a wireless router, but I am plugged directly into the back of it. I have opened UDP ports 2032-2035 in my router settings. What else do I need to do?

If I plug directly from my PC to the modem, I do not get the "2500 ping" problem, but I need to use the router since I am not the only person in my home that needs online access.

If somebody knows what I need to do to fix this ping problem, please let me know.

Default ports are 2302-2305. Also, open them with both TCP and UDP.

Don't worry about the 2500 ping time in the browser. It's cosmetic and in-game ping times will show correctly.

Guest ca655321

gamespy uses custom ping and not ICMP for echo requests, not sure how to fix this either I am having the same issue.

gamespy uses custom ping and not ICMP for echo requests, not sure how to fix this either I am having the same issue.

Yep. I believe the ping is determined by how long it takes to receive a response to the server info packet.

I've had this issue with EC2, where the server would show up with a 2500 ping no matter what - even after opening all ports, through TCP/UDP/ICMP. I never did figure the issue out.

Apologies for digging this out of the grave, but I'm having the exact same issue and can't seem to get it resolved.

I can ping the server with any packet size. I've allowed all necessary things through the firewall, even disabling it completely (Domain, Private, and Public) just to test. I've setup the ICMPv4 replies.

If I enter the IP under Remote, it works fine. But in the default server browser I'm showing 2500. :eek:

We recently moved a server off to a separate box and now the ping is whack. Server is running ARMA 2 v1.11.86734.

Suspect from your post you've already run across this post of mine but this is what I discovered about the issue...

I wouldn't attest to the certainty of anything I say here but my understanding is that a 2500 ping means that your server has managed to report itself to the gamespy list server but that the client cannot query it. This might mean;

a) The client cannot interrogate the server via UDP (default 2302-2305) but if this were the case you wouldn't be able to join or play on the server at all, or;

b) The GameSpy list server has been unable to negotiate the server's NAT and has listed the server as query by ping and the problem is clients cannot get a true ping reading via ICMP.

If you can join the server and play on it at all this would discount a). To test b) try adding the server by IP address via the Remote button and see if it then shows up (use a name filter to be sure) with the correct ping. If so, there's nothing that can be done about the master list server failing to determine the NAT type, all you can do instead is focus on making sure your server is reachable via ICMP, easily testable using Windows' ping. In my case my server was responding to ICMP but the in-game browser was using an undersize ping packet which was being ditched by the routers around my server (I could prove this by specifying the ping payload size, at a certain size responses would cease). As luck would have it I found that one of the three locations I could select for the server had routers that weren't configured as such and it then started working. With query-by-ICMP you still don't get a playerlist and there may be issues with mod reporting but at least the ping will show correctly.