Sign in to follow this  
AASE

ONS - Operation Northstar WIP

what happenned to O'hally?

he has been gone for about 2 months and isn't coming back to the fall, he basically just upped and left

he has been gone for about 2 months and isn't coming back to the fall, he basically just upped and left

Will the update that AASE was about to release in May with the LAV III

still make it ? or has all development stopped?

that looks really good. only one thing I noticed is that the rifle seems to not be held on by the character's hands properly. Other than that, looks awesome.

Development hasn't completely stopped and we are planning a possible release in early July to get some new ONS equipment out to the public, and here is a little video that shows the fruits of our Labour http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nft-WX3P5_8

7cmbg.ca

Nice to hear that :)

Looking good !

Awsome videos guys, music is well chosen ._. Pretty nice to see the LAV III in action. Are you guys working on a weapon upgrate?

Weapons:

-They do not have a reload sound.

-C6 GPMG iron sight has some major zoom capability.

Chopper CH-146 Griffen:

When sitting in the pilot seat of the chopper and engine started while still on ground level, the outside armor becomes transparent and you could see inside.

Also, are you guys planning on adding custom sounds for your weapons? Or just going with default Arma 2 weapon sounds?

Weapons:

Chopper CH-146 Griffen:

When sitting in the pilot seat of the chopper and engine started while still on ground level, the outside armor becomes transparent and you could see inside.

Also, are you guys planning on adding custom sounds for your weapons? Or just going with default Arma 2 weapon sounds?

I don't think there's been an updated version released to the public for a long time so they might have this fixed in their internal builds.

Anyways, for sounds, I'd suggest you guys just do inheritance off of BIS classes so we can use our soundmods well. For example: The C8 can inherit off the M16_Base class.

Anyways, for sounds, I'd suggest you guys just do inheritance off of BIS classes so we can use our soundmods well. For example: The C8 can inherit off the M16_Base class.

Fully Support this, have been dying to use it but cannot get it because I use ACEX-SM.

BTW, same goes for DDAM.

WHAAAT!!! I thought ONS was dead in the water but it seem there is still plenty of life left! Great to hear! I am experiencing a problem with the mod however I'll copy and paste my post from another thread:

"When I'm using addon troops they don't talk like the BIS Default soldiers. I like using Operation Northstar Soldiers, but when I make a mission they don`t use the radios. They will occasionally say random words like "Soldier!" and "Ship" with out calling out a direction of the target, distance and no radio subtitles show up. Also, when I give out commands to my guys, they do the commands no problem but I might only accually say one word. EX: Instead of saying "3,4 move to tree 50 meters." my guy will accually say "Tree". This is very frustrating when doing covert missions ordering my men to hold fire and although my units are spotting targets they don't communicate them! They may say "Enemy" when they see one but won't let me know where so I can eliminate him. Then the enemy get right on top of us and kill us all!! Anyone know why none of my downloaded troops use radios? Am I missing something? Is it a terrible bug that there is no work-around for? Please help if you can, I'd love to end the Air Campaign on my war against the Taki's and start getting some boots on the ground, but without radios we don't stand a chance" Is guys not using radios a know bug of the mod or have I just not downloaded the right version?

BTW: I am all for GossamerSOlid's idea about sounds, unless you guys can top the sound of J.S.R.S's soundmod:)

Edited by mattyfo
afterthought

Hey guys, the weapons have been fixed so you can use your own sound mod. As for the radio I'm not sure about it I have never noticed I will look into it when I get a chance.

Hey guys, the weapons have been fixed so you can use your own sound mod. As for the radio I'm not sure about it I have never noticed I will look into it when I get a chance.

Nice to see you're still around. Had started to lose hope for the LAV III :)

It's looking pretty nice. :)

Abs

WHAAAT!!! I thought ONS was dead in the water but it seem there is still plenty of life left! Great to hear! I am experiencing a problem with the mod however I'll copy and paste my post from another thread:

"When I'm using addon troops they don't talk like the BIS Default soldiers. I like using Operation Northstar Soldiers, but when I make a mission they don`t use the radios. They will occasionally say random words like "Soldier!" and "Ship" with out calling out a direction of the target, distance and no radio subtitles show up. Also, when I give out commands to my guys, they do the commands no problem but I might only accually say one word. EX: Instead of saying "3,4 move to tree 50 meters." my guy will accually say "Tree". This is very frustrating when doing covert missions ordering my men to hold fire and although my units are spotting targets they don't communicate them! They may say "Enemy" when they see one but won't let me know where so I can eliminate him. Then the enemy get right on top of us and kill us all!! Anyone know why none of my downloaded troops use radios? Am I missing something? Is it a terrible bug that there is no work-around for? Please help if you can, I'd love to end the Air Campaign on my war against the Taki's and start getting some boots on the ground, but without radios we don't stand a chance" Is guys not using radios a know bug of the mod or have I just not downloaded the right version?

BTW: I am all for GossamerSOlid's idea about sounds, unless you guys can top the sound of J.S.R.S's soundmod:)

Well I figured this problem out long ago and forget to edit my post, turns out only the Section Commander and Section 2IC are equipped with radios. I fixed the issue by putting, this additem "radio", in the units init.

BTW, nice update! Helmets look good, however I'm curious, are these helmets going to be optional with the woodland camo? Or will all woodland units be equipped with these?

Well I figured this problem out long ago and forget to edit my post, turns out only the Section Commander and Section 2IC are equipped with radios. I fixed the issue by putting, this additem "radio", in the units init.

BTW, nice update! Helmets look good, however I'm curious, are these helmets going to be optional with the woodland camo? Or will all woodland units be equipped with these?

All infantry types i.e. Rifleman, Grenadier, LMG, HMG, AT, Section IC, 2IC will have scrim kits. Each scrim kit varies slightly in colours and make up.

Armoured crewmen will not have scrim, as they usually don't in RL

Medics, Engineers, Officers will also be without scrim to make them easy to ID on the Battle Field.

As for Radios;

All units now have radios for better compat with ACRE and ACE.

-No not dead in the water, I became very busy with work, and AASE spent the summer on Vaca/ moving....

We are back at it.

I'm currently waiting on the C14 textures, once that's done I will integrate the Timberwolf into the weapons, at which point I hope, can't promise to do a new release. I am having some significant errors atm with some of the vehicles so I may try and get some new infantry/ weapons out then vehicles down the road. BE AWARE! ONS has been completly re-written and once a new release comes out missions made with old versions will not work. You will either need to re-make em, or fix them manually via the Mission file.

I will include a Domination Vanilla and ACE conversion with the pack, and a few SP missions. I hope to do a full pack release by XMas 2011.

I am looking for help with textures, specifically NOHQ types. As well as TI layers. If anyone can help please contact myself directly.

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

Weapons:

Chopper CH-146 Griffen:

ref: sounds

I re-configged the weapons to use M16, M249, M240, M4 sounds. This means all reload, and sound mods can be used and heard.

ref: Griffon

The issue your seeing is related to the textures to the best of my limited knowledge. it requires a complete re-tex in some cases. The dust causes the texture to show it's Alpha ( transparency) layer. I am going to try and tackle this by texturing the windows from a separate texture. I will keep you posted on the results.

ref: zoom

Again a config issue. To solve this I am simply going to make the ONS_C6GPMG config change the displayname and magazine type. this should remove that issue...

ref: Griffon

The issue your seeing is related to the textures to the best of my limited knowledge. it requires a complete re-tex in some cases. The dust causes the texture to show it's Alpha ( transparency) layer. I am going to try and tackle this by texturing the windows from a separate texture. I will keep you posted on the results.

My friend who is working on a couple of addons had this exact same issue. Are you using the Photoshop plugin to convert PAAs? If so, stop using that and use BIS' TexView2 instead.

Contact him for more information as I'm not exactly sure what he did to fix it: http://forums.bistudio.com/member.php?u=67475

My friend who is working on a couple of addons had this exact same issue. Are you using the Photoshop plugin to convert PAAs? If so, stop using that and use BIS' TexView2 instead.

Contact him for more information as I'm not exactly sure what he did to fix it: http://forums.bistudio.com/member.php?u=67475

Nope I am using GIMP, saving as .tga with no compression, then using tex veiw2 to convert to .paa

however I did not make some of the textures I'm having issues with I'll contact him and see what he says. thanks a bunch.

The goal is a stable pack out by xmas. working on getting some help to make that happen and to make the mod as best as it can be.

I'll be posting some screens if not this week then next of what's been changed so far, and some hopeful additions.