gimpymoo

ARMA2 & OA's Steam Thread: All Steam Q's/discussions go here [covered by Dwarden]

hi there,

my computer crashed (problems with HDD)

and now i've had to reinstall.

i had backups of my steam games and arma 2 (+ OA,PMC and BAF)

i've restored from these backups without a problem.

opened up arma 2, it installed a few thing like battle etc. Game ran fine.

now when i tried to open up OA, steam installed a few thing like battle etc for the game, the game started and then encountered an error.

Bad Serial Number given in setup.

now i've checked in the registry and have found the keys in the the registry for the other games (Arma2,BAF,PMC) but none for OA, also when i try to open BAF or PMC i get the error message telling me that it was unable to find the OA serial.

if i try to open Combined ops, i get a batch file running for a brief second and then closes, then nothing, the game fails to start.

any help would be good.

Thanks

1. exit STEAM

2. start STEAM via "run as administrator"

3. verify integrity of OA install

4. start OA

check if serial key is now in registry

then run in STEAM games list BAF and PMC

then run OA and it should be all fine

There is some sort of issue with the multiplayer system for me.

I can join the Domination games and whatnot, but whether I ran OA or otherwise, I can't seem to be able to join the Zargabad life maps.

Do I need to perform the usual procedures to get CO verified in the registry for use?

because zargabad life servers use special mod most likely or not ? maybe wrong mission file?

1. exit STEAM

2. start STEAM via "run as administrator"

3. verify integrity of OA install

4. start OA

check if serial key is now in registry

then run in STEAM games list BAF and PMC

then run OA and it should be all fine

Yep! seems to have done the job, it checked it, found 1 file missing, downloaded and installed needed file (all 1.4kb of it, guessing the reg key needed) game started fine

Cheers for the reply.

First time having needed the forums, Thanks Dwarden!:)

because zargabad life servers use special mod most likely or not ? maybe wrong mission file?

It used to work without issue, unless something has been changed. Which i do not happen to realize.

i would ask the server admin what it says in server log or is seen by players in the game

if you try join but nothing happens and you end back on server list ...

if the server is red cross X then it means different mods

Hi, I've got Arma 2 and operation arrowhead (And all DLCs) on steam and whenever I try to launch combined operations i get a black CMD box and after roughly 2 secs it closes and nothing happens, I did verify game cache and 7 files were missing.

It downloaded the missing files and now combined operations launch; around 1 sec in the main menu it crashes to desktop with no errors, only says "Arma operation arrowhead has stopped working"

I tried verify game cache again and it downloaded 1 file, it seems that when i crash combined operations, it loses a file or something

Ive launched arma 2 and OA separetly so that they register together, I used to be able to run CO but it crashed at map load.

Do i have to reinstall Arma 2 + OA + DLCs? I've got a pretty slow connection so i'd prefer to have that as last resort.

Hardware i have:

EVGA x58 MICRO sli motherboard (model number: 121-BL-E756-TR)

Nvidia gtx 260 video card

850 watt power supply (its over kill but i planned to add a 2nd card)

logitech g15 keyboard

Logitech mx518 mouse

Asus vx226 monitor (system recongizes this as a "Digital Flat Panel 1920x1080 60Hz" and has always shown it this way)

Core i7 CPU

Win 7-64bit professional

ok i have done the following updates and driver updates for my motherboard, graphics card.

Motherboard updates were downloaded from here:

http://www.evga.com/Support/Drivers/Default.asp

Sub menus are:

/mainboards/ EVGA X58 Series/ Chipset/

/mainboards/ EVGA X58 Series/ Network/

/mainboards/ EVGA X58 Series/ Audio drivers/

/mainboards/ EVGA X58 Series/ E756 - X58 Micro Bios/

updated Chipset, Network, Audio, and Bios from the above menu (downloaded and installed)

Motherboard info from the flash is as follows:

121-BL-E756-8A79TEVCC-00

FLASH TYPE SST 25VF080B 3.3V

I also updated my Nvidia GTX 260 graphics card drivers to version: 270.61

Chipset to version: 9.1.2.1008

Network to version: 5.41

Audio Driver: 2.52

Bios was updated to version: 82

Arma 2 still locks up after a few minutes of play (this last time i basically just used the Parachute option, droped out of the action got into looking over an AO in Domination and looked through a scope and then switched to looking through binocs (zoomed in and out), and a few minutes later it locked up without me firing a single shot. Roughly 3-5 minutes.

Screen looks like a screen shot of the last image and nothing responds i cant even CONTROL+ALT+DELETE to open task manager to close arma 2 i have to hard reset.

I also spoke to others in game while i could and there were some others that have been having the same problems lately with the game.

P.S. i tried to lower the settings of Arma 2 also... AA is off, no shadows, etc just running at default resolution of 1920x1080 @60Hz (with the 270.61 graphics drivers i couldnt turn off Physx so i put it to CPU and tried it then to video card for Physx still the same result with the crash / hung system.

This just started week of 5.2.2011-5.7.2011, before that the game worked fine and i could spend HOURS in the game with no problems.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks

5.9.2011 - Downloaded Beta 79600 and tried to run the game from that. Unfortunately the game still crashed with the same results.

5.13.2011 - after alot of testing i installed a NEW GPU and it fixed all problems with the system hanging (must of been somethign with that other GPU or a driver conflict with that older GPU that was causing the problems)

Edited by Zuerus

Question:

Just purchased Operation Arrowhead on Steam, had ArmA 2 for a while.

When I installed the game and went to run it, it said their were problems with my serial key. So I restarted my computer and I tried it again, it worked. However it seems like options might be missing.

When I go to create scenarios, only options 1 and 4 are available, and only Takistan for maps. As well as BAF models showing bare textures in 3rd person (I do not have the BAF dlc, just the lite. Same for PMC). And it seems like their are a few graphical glitches as well. Also some weapons appear to be missing. The list is longer in combined operations, compared to straight OA (Including weapons that were in neither's Armory).

How do I know if FADE is activated?

Or will the game not launch unless the serial key issue was resolved?

@lost_cipher answered you in your standalone thread

Hi

On Scenario, Boot Camp, Amored, etc. I see the save message and I can save manually - but there is no way to start on a saved place. I must always start at the begining - thats anoying:eek:.

Another personal bug: I cannot use the "suspend" Button. After click on "Suspend" - I see the save game message and I am back at the menu.:mad:

And last: I can't start a Campaign: First I can choose the campaigne, the difficulty and then I click on "PLAY" then a similar window to the one where I choosen the campaign, but only with "start" to choose and below the "Play" button brings me back to the difficulty-choose window...and so on and on and on - not very funny :j:

My system win 7 / 64bit

Intel quad core i7 @ 2.80GHZ

8GB Ram

Radeon 6800 HD - newest catalyst driver

On steam: newest patch of the game

I tryed:

Starting steam with admin rights.

I deleted the games (arma2 and arma2 OA) and reinstall it (twice :().

Deleted any arma2 reference I can find (registry, directories)

Played first arma2, then arma2 oa - and then the other way.

I installed the graphics driver manually.

None oft my actions helped anyhow...

I have some steam games, none of them have problems like arma2.

I am helpless - maybe someone out there can help me. :yay:

greetings

(Sorry for the icons...but I am in the mood )

Hi, I just downloaded BAF from Steam but use my standard disk version of CO and would like to know how to transfer that data over into usable form.

I've copied the file from Steamapps and renamed it @BAF in my standard Arma2 folder. Next I renamed the folder that contains all of the .pbos - "Addons".

Thought that would do it but no go. I also own OA on Steam but don't use or like it as I had some problems running CO with a disk Arma2 and Steam OA.

Edit: LOL, nevermind. Ran preprocessor and now all is good. Huh, guess I don't hate steam as much as I thought now. Off to get PMC :)

Edited by froggyluv

officially no, next time please pay attention on product page in what language(s) the product is available, ARMA 2 was only in English ...

Hi Dwarden

Why can not change the language to Czech?

After unpacking the file language*.pbo and open stringtable.xml in XML editor show me this.

arma2steam.th.jpg

So in Arma 2 steam version are all languages. Why not change this in main menu of the game?

Thank you for reply

BR DVL

I didn't know whether to post this in the general troubleshooting or here but I have the game on Steam so I guess here. I'm having trouble playing OA and Combined Operations. Whenever I run these with Teamspeak 3 the game gets random crashes after about 5 or ten minutes. It exits to windows and a box pops up saying windows is trying to find a solution to this problem(which obviously it never does). As far as I can tell its not happening with the original Arma 2, only OA and CO. Also when I installed OA I had that CD key problem which I fixed, just in case that's relevant.

My laptop: win 7, 64 bit, Home

Intel quad core i7 @ 1.73GHz

4GB Ram

Nvidia GEFORCE GT425M

On steam: newest patch of the game

I've looked around for this problem but can't seem to find it. Sorry if I have done loads of things wrong here this is probably my first post on a forum ever.

I also found this if its a help

C:\Users\Stephen\AppData\Local\Temp\WERAB6C.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

C:\Users\Stephen\AppData\Local\Temp\WERC9A7.tmp.appcompat.txt

C:\Users\Stephen\AppData\Local\Temp\WERD1C3.tmp.mdmp

Edited by Dewaters
More Crash info

Has anyone experienced where doing a Verify Integrity of Game Cache consistently says there are 1 or 2 corrupted / missing files? It then says it has finished updating, so I assume it fixed the corrupted file. Doing a verify again shows the same message. It happens every time I've been doing this over the last day on both the Arma 2 and Arma 2 OA.

Hi, I've heard running arma 2 in compatibility mode (Vista to XP Service pack 2) improves performance. I'm using the steam version of the Combined Operations, but there isn't a application to launch CO outside of steam. Does anybody know how to run CO in compatibility mode?

EDIT: Scratch that, I found the run CO command, just ran that in compatibility mode.

Edited by Diggdydog

A2: CO uses OA engine and compatibility mode shall be w/o effect ...

tho it may differ depening on your 'drivers' ....

Hi.

I was trying to play ArmA 2 today and got this message from Steam:

Steam - Error

This game is currently unavailable.

Please try again at another time

What the fu... is that, never seen that before. And i can't play Combined Operations because of this :(

EDIT:

It seems to work again after i was following this from steam.

This game is currently unavailable

Question

I see the error "This game is currently unavailable" when launching a game through Steam. What can I do?

Answer

Windows Troubleshooting Steps

After each step, please re-test the issue.

1. Exit and restart Steam

2. Update All Drivers - including DirectX, PhysX, and Visual C++ as found at the bottom of the guide

3. Exit Steam and rename the ClientRegistry.blob and restart Steam

4. Exit Steam and delete everything under the Steam installation directory except Steam.exe, the ClientRegistryOld.blob, and the \SteamApps folder - this will force Steam to update when you log in

5. Complete the Verifying GCF Cache Files process to repair your game cache files.

6. This error may be caused by having certain Steam files set to Read Only. To resolve this:

Exit Steam.

Navigate to the directory where you have installed Steam. (Typically C:\Program Files\ or C:\Program Files\Valve\.)

Right-click on the Steam folder.

Select Properties.

Check the Read-Only checkbox and press Apply.

Uncheck the Read-Only checkbox and press Apply.

7. If this issue is only happening on a third party non-Valve game, please try launching the game's .exe directly from its installation folder: C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\<Game Title>. You may also try other .exe's such as Launcher.exe in the game folder to see if a different error message is found.

8. If the issue persists, it may be caused by a network configuration issue. Please complete the Troubleshooting Network Connectivity guide to further assess the problem.

After that i was running Verifying Integrity Of Game Cache and for some reason, i got a new arma2.exe file, dated today but same version.

Well, the ArmA2 to start now without any problems.... strange.

Edited by MJK-Ranger
Problemd - Solved

I'm going to ask this again because I still haven't seen it answered anywhere on this thread:

When I use the launcher my steam overlay does not come up. I prefer that I can use my steam overlay while in game. Can someone explain how I can get the steam overlay to work while still using the launcher.

I just wanted to make sure this was still the best way to do this. If I click on that file it loads CO, but I'm curious if there's a way to make this available in steam as well as if there are any updates that I should load to maximize my ability to play with others.

I think i posted this question in the wrong thread before so i'll ask here again:

I have ARMA2, BAF, PMC and OA all on Steam. When i right click on ARMA2 in Steam it normally shows the option to "Launch Arma2: CO", but now it doesn't show it anymore.

Afaik i didn't do anything to mess things up. Any idea how i can get this fixed again?

When i rightclick on OA in Steam then it does show to launch A2:CO but when i play that way i can't see any map from my Arma2 folder, nor can a mod like Invasion 1944 find its own maps. (Invasion 1944 is installed in Arma2 folder)

the option is on OA not ARMA 2, also it works only when your run once ARMA 2, then A2: CO mode

How do I reinstall the 1.60 patch in the Steam version of OA/BAF/PMC?