Sign in to follow this  
avibird 1

Tribute to bohemia & arma2

I must say this first, I can't pretend that I understand BOHEMIA'S reasons to release ARMA2 with multiple publishers, release dates world wide and the german version without the first patch. BOHEMAIA should have known that many people in the gaming world wanted them to fail or produce a buggy product like ARMA1 so they could say, we told you so.

I have not made any comments about the german release until I had more information, talked to real players and looked at a lot of ingame footage of multiple game experience in different modes. Yes the german version had some issues/bugs but ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

People did you see what the game world looked like, did you see what you can do, how the AI moved and worked as a team when it worked. If you ever made a mission with OFP/ARMA1 you would know that it's all on the waypoints and behaviors you set that will determine if the AI are dumb as a box of rocks or smart and deadly as CHUCK NORRIS/RAMBO. The first patch fixed some of the bugs/issues with the german version and when the JUNE 19 release comes out the game should be running like the game should have.

Yes the game will still have some issues that people will not like or needed some different features that was left out but this game will have so much more then any other game on the market or that will be on the market for years to come.

This game is a true masterpiece and true sequel to the best game ever made in my opinion. This game will have so many options and unique game experiences that no game can come close. This game will be the closesd thing to a WAR SIMULATOR the we the common public will ever have in there homes.

Thank you BOHEMIA for all your hard work and for giving me a real reason to continue to play videogames for many years to come. Thank you and I will always support you and your products because I know you will always support your community and products far better then any other developer of videogames.

PS. please if you have nothing nice to say to BOHEAMIA shut-up and go to a different thread. Have a nice day!

I agree. I am very impressed with ArmA 2. *Claps Hands*

Now question is, what is next? (excluding a expansion) could they make enough to do an ArmA 3?

For now...patches. I imagine after the UK and US releases (and elsewhere), they'll have enough money to continue. Hell some people here already have the german version but plan on getting the UK/US release. They just wanted to get the game earlier.

I'm actually going to say Thanks for nothing, because of this game I've delayed looking for a job probably for another month!! BIS is bad for my economy!

Now question is, what is next? (excluding a expansion) could they make enough to do an ArmA 3?

What does this have to do this this topic. This is a very dumb question are you for real. If you know anything about BOHEMIA, once this game is out for all versions they will provide us with some patches to fix some bugs let the community MOD the hell out of the game for some years and the rest of the team will move on to a new game and it's not ARMA3. You should go read on BOHEMIA.

I'm actually going to say Thanks for nothing, because of this game I've delayed looking for a job probably for another month!! BIS is bad for my economy!

And BIS forced you to do this? YOU make your decisions :)

For now...patches. I imagine after the UK and US releases (and elsewhere), they'll have enough money to continue. Hell some people here already have the german version but plan on getting the UK/US release. They just wanted to get the game earlier.

I got the game earlier, but I reaaly hope BIS will release a patch to be able to change the language to English(Or whatever) in the German version, i thought all versions were to be the same.

Edited by Nicholas

I got the German download and I am very impressed. Yes there are tweaks to be make, but on a game this size you would expect so but once the game comes out in UK I will be purchasing another copy, this one will go to my mate... 2 reasons, he doesnt have much dosh at this time and secondly.... i want a shiny disc lol

As much as i know the game is still not completely finished i already have heaps of fun with it a thing that i never really managed in ArmA1.

Not to mention that the first patch already improved the game a lot.

Wonder how the sales in Germany and around look atm as the press seems on a mission to write it to death as the most bugged game ever.

That it is full of endless amounts of things and possibilitys is forgotten it seems, not to mention the well known fact that BIS always take care about their games after release.

Its really frustrating, i wished them a new OFP like success but once again that seems not the case, however i dodnt know the sales so maybe things arent as worse as i imagine.

In the end i guess all studios should make from A to B shooter games as it seems thats what the press loves.

I've been a fan of BIS and their products for roughly 7 years, since I first got OFP, the first time (I bought the game 3 times just because I kept breaking CDs :\), I am also a proud customer of the VBS product line and I work with VBS2 on a daily basis, however having said that I'm not going to rush out and claim we've got GOTY 09 material here. The simple fact you literally have hundreds of people with dramas immediately after release suggests a significant deficiency in testing procedures and an unacceptable compromise in the quality.

Now before you respond and say I'm angry because it doesn't run perfectly on my PC, I've only had 3 CTDs and experienced a handful of bugs, but no show stoppers. I thought the dramas with ArmA were just bad luck, it is now clearly evident that BIS has agreed to a release time frame that they couldn't achieve, either that or the testers were poorly coordinated. A number of issues I've found so far can be fixed in single PBOs less than 5kb in size and some relatively simple scripting.

As for my personal experience, I've loved almost every minute of A2 that I've played, the CTDs came at the worst possible time during a MP session. For me there are a few rough edges, a few things I don't like, but on the whole it has a lot of potential. There is no denying that for the most part BIS have done a solid job. The down side, and this is a big one, is that the people I play with, my mates, are having serious dramas, one has even deleted the shortcut until there's a decent patch, I am reading through his .rpt files as we speak here and trying to find an early solution.

I understand a lot of you are the hardcore true believers, but don't be so fanatical that you give BIS false confidence or any ideas that this product is final. It needs work, be honest.

Jamie.

Im also very impressed by Arma2. I loved OFP mostly for the feeling it had, and tried to like Arma1 but the feel was not right. I cant really put my finger on what it was i didnt like about it. But now with just a couple of days with Arma2 all i can say is the feeling is back and if BI can iron out the remaining bugs it will be epic.

I guess I've been one of the more fortunate people playing Arma2 so far, because I haven't actually experienced many of the major major bugs myself. No CTDs, no major AI problems. I didn't start playing the campaign until I had installed the beta patch, so no problems there either. (Haven't reached the "Manhatten" mission everyone is bitching about yet :).) After some hours tweaking my settings, performance is now excellent while the visuals are still second to none.

The game may not be perfect right now but its potential is already very apparent. If only it hadn't been released so early and clearly unpolished in Germany, I think Arma2 would have earned a lot more praise and taken less flak. In fact, I agree with the notion that Arma2 could be GOTY material, as long as BIS manages to polish it up in time for the 505 release. It definitely has that certain something, the sense of immersion and the excitement that emerged when playing OFP back in the day.

The simple fact you literally have hundreds of people with dramas immediately after release suggests a significant deficiency in testing procedures and an unacceptable compromise in the quality.

There will always be people with dramas. Look at the community forums of just about every game released in the last couple of years. They are always full of people complaining about this, that and the other. I've seen enough games where the campaign was unplayable and the long-awaited patch broke the savegames. Arma2 is not unique when it comes to teething problems.

Edited by MadDogX

It definitely has that certain something, the sense of immersion and the excitement that emerged when playing OFP back in the day.

After playing it since the 28th i have to agree here!

There is definitely something i feel here which i didn't with Arma1 but did with OFP1...

What does this have to do this this topic. This is a very dumb question are you for real. If you know anything about BOHEMIA, once this game is out for all versions they will provide us with some patches to fix some bugs let the community MOD the hell out of the game for some years and the rest of the team will move on to a new game and it's not ARMA3. You should go read on BOHEMIA.

Actually, this is a very relevant and real question. You have stated, that ArmA 2 has just come out, and with it, it has brought numerous improvements and new features.

The logical question is, if ArmA 2 is this good (granted I haven't played it, but it looks to be a splendid improvement over ArmA), what will ArmA 3 be like?

MadDogX,

You make the assumption I'm referring to campaign issues, in fact I'm not, I'm talking about A2 running on a Core i7 920, GTX 295, 6GB DDR3 and crashing within 20 minutes of start up under normal operating conditions and even on the lowest settings. I'm talking about people rolling back drivers to recommended versions both here and elsewhere and experiencing strange optical effects while still experiencing CTDs. I am also talking about M1A1 Abrams tanks doing aerobatics by popping 30ft into the air and doing backflips, landing on their turrets constantly.

The campaign for me is a non-issue, I'm not really a campaign player, although I have enjoyed playing it coop for something different. Some of the errors I've seen in RPTs point to problems inside SQF files packaged with A2, others point to more serious problems. Some I believe are drivers or OS compatibility issues. In some cases the users are running Win 7 64-bit RC, given this is an OS in development, I don't expect BIS to adjust for this right now. However XP and Vista users should expect more.

As I said, for the most part BIS have done exceptionally well, and this will be a solid product when it is fixed. There is no denying that, and the commitment to May 29 for release may have been out of their hands long ago, these issues may be unforeseen. I am guessing you're not familiar with David and Goliath, where a small man brought down a giant, same concept here.

Personally I'm wondering when VBS will transition over to RV3... may have to send more beer money to get an answer to that question ;)

Jamie.

I basically agree on what you say, but then again, i dont! :)

That´s exactly how i feel about ArmA2, it has very great moments and in the next moment, it´s a disaster! I could often cry and i could laugh at the same time. laugh about the great environment and graphics (if you have a highend card) and cry about the same old bugs like headbug, AI driving into eachother, AI shooting a tank with rifles while having a AT weapon equipped.

You make the assumption I'm referring to campaign issues...

I mentioned the campaign as an example. Believe me, I'm perfectly aware that there are more problems, but my point still stands. Literally every game I've played over the last couple of years has had problems.

FEAR had bugs in the campaign, a later patch fixed them but broke savegames, also CTDs and occasional performance problems. BF2142 didn't support widescreen, had some major performance problems, frequent CTDs for some people and loads of glitches. Bioshock had widescreen problems, CTDs when loading some savegames, performance problems, freezes. ET:QW had graphical and performance problems, glitches, balancing issues. Left 4 Dead - AI bugs, glitches, major problems with multiplayer servers locking up or blocking player spots (especially bad for a game designed primarily around MP with max. 4 or 8 players).

Need I go on?

Im also very impressed by Arma2. I loved OFP mostly for the feeling it had, and tried to like Arma1 but the feel was not right. I cant really put my finger on what it was i didnt like about it. But now with just a couple of days with Arma2 all i can say is the feeling is back and if BI can iron out the remaining bugs it will be epic.

Yes, i also cant point on it but the feeling just wasnt right and sometimes it was more frustarting then fun.

I remeber somwhere at patch 1.50 or something i was playing the SP mission where you ambush the SLA convoi and was thinking suddently, this thing is so broken ( feeling wise not bug wise ) they never get it right not even with ten patches.

In the end with the last patches it was quite playable, still not feeling right but playable.

A2 already gave me a good feeling already when i ran around in the bootcamp and after i played a bit of the campaign i can say the first few missions of the A2 campaign are more intresting than the campaign and SP missions A1 had all together.

So sure it has bugs but it has real potencial and deserves good sales.

I have not played ARMA 2 yet as im waiting for 19 june release but as far as i heard the comments and watched videos on youtube, The release of the game is succesfull, much better then the release of OPF or ARMA.

With a few more patches this should be one of the games of this year, but as everyone already knows, Arma2 is not famous enough, and GOTY games are only OVerhyped games

i wonder IF it comes out on xbox360 ps3 how many get sold i luv to see this on the xbox

but this game comes to its rights on the PC thats for sure

Well i have not gotten the game yet, not until the 26th =( but i will say from the videos i have seen, good job BIS! /clap.

They have already answered this.. Carrier Command!

This.

Playing since OFP's release and ArmA 2 is right up there again! :)

BIS rules.

Its awesome, If they can fix a few things it may even top DID's wargasm.. :D Nah, nothing can top wargasm.. haha