Sign in to follow this  
fjaekel

graphics bugs with ATI 4800 series (4850/4870/4890)

Oh cool. Thanks for answering. We noticed that people with Windows 7 dont have this problem. But we never came to the idea that it could have something to do with 32 bit and 64 bit and not the operating system Windows 7. Today people with Windows 7 will be always at 64 bit i think. People on Windows XP are almost always on 32 bit, it is not so often to see someone with Windows XP on 64 bit.

Now we have you, a Arma 2 gamer with Windows XP 64 bit, with an ATI card with 512 MB ram and without the artefacts problem. Hmmm, is it a 32 and 64 bit thing? Maybe thats the point we need to look at and not if it is windows xp, windows vista or windows 7. Thanks for your contribution.

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/2500

I have a Sapphire Vapor-X HD4890 1GB Cat. 9.8 on Vista64 @2048x1152 and don't have this problem. Occassionally it might take a second or three to load some textures but no artifacts as shown in the screenshots in this thread.

Rest of my config. in my signature.

Well, I started having problems after upgrading from 4Gb to 8Gb of RAM. I tried everything in here (well ok, read only to about page 38) and then I remembered that the problems started a bit after I updated my RAM amount so I tried taking the two sticks off and whoops the graphic errors are gone. I know for some it wont work, but decided to give my experience here. Im not pleased that I cant use all of my memorysticks if I want to play this game, I love the game when it works but this is not acceptable at all in my mind.

Edit: Yap, as soon as I install the two sticks, it shows graphical error even on the aircraftcarrier, ie. textures disappearing and simplifying.

Edit2: Oh ye and Win Vista 64Bit and Cat 9.8

Edited by HpE

Well, I started having problems after upgrading from 4Gb to 8Gb of RAM. I tried everything in here (well ok, read only to about page 38) and then I remembered that the problems started a bit after I updated my RAM amount so I tried taking the two sticks off and whoops the graphic errors are gone. I know for some it wont work, but decided to give my experience here. Im not pleased that I cant use all of my memorysticks if I want to play this game, I love the game when it works but this is not acceptable at all in my mind.

Edit: Yap, as soon as I install the two sticks, it shows graphical error even on the aircraftcarrier, ie. textures disappearing and simplifying.

join my cause:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=86162

Joined ;)

Well while trying to figure out tis problem, I managed to get it working atleast for a while by dropping the resolution to 1280x900 or something like that and then overjoyed and spilled 2/3 of a cup of coffee on my 80€ keyboard and broke it..

Joined ;)

Well while trying to figure out tis problem, I managed to get it working atleast for a while by dropping the resolution to 1280x900 or something like that and then overjoyed and spilled 2/3 of a cup of coffee on my 80€ keyboard and broke it..

There is an easiest solution rather than removing the two sticks of memory:

In the Start menu you will see "Start Search". In that field type msconfig

Now when you have "msconfig" opened do the following...

In the "Boot" tab goto "Advanced Options" now check the "Maximum Memory" box. Once its checked, it should say 4096. Changed that to 3072. Click "Ok" then in the main window click "Apply" it should now ask you to restart your PC if it doesn't ask then reboot. Once you PC has restarted you will see you have 3GB memory.

There is an easiest solution rather than removing the two sticks of memory:

In the Start menu you will see "Start Search". In that field type msconfig

Now when you have "msconfig" opened do the following...

In the "Boot" tab goto "Advanced Options" now check the "Maximum Memory" box. Once its checked, it should say 4096. Changed that to 3072. Click "Ok" then in the main window click "Apply" it should now ask you to restart your PC if it doesn't ask then reboot. Once you PC has restarted you will see you have 3GB memory.

Ya I know, but its almost as easy to take out the sticks ;)

Just bought Fallout 3 and running 1680x1050 everything maxed and it runs smoothly and looks great, no artifacts yet over the past 4 days. ArmA II still corrupts the memory after seconds or minutes (if lucky) of 'gameplay'.

will, what size card are you testing?

1gb :)

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

Try turning down the clock speed, maybe it's getting over heated... Get CCC or GPUz and post temps. I run ArmA 2 at about 55 C, which is a little warm, without any problems.

HD 4870 w/ 512 GDDR5. :raisebrow:

2rmp1t2.jpg

Is my computer going to die?

not from that pic, Show us a screen shot, and your win7 rig has what in it? CPU,RAM ect Edited by kklownboy

how do you do a screenshot whilst playing the game? Tried the screenshot button and it did nothing!

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Spec is -

Intel 6600 2.4 Core 2 Duo

8GB 800MHz RAM

64bit Windows 7

ATI Radeon 4870 1GB

Asus P5Q Pro mobo

how do you do a screenshot whilst playing the game? Tried the screenshot button and it did nothing!

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Spec is -

8GB 800MHz RAM

8GB 800MHz RAM, that maybe the issue, set up your "boot.ini" in MSCONFIG to boot with under 8gb, or if easy pull out a stick or two for now.

you can get screen shots with Fraps, there is a free one. v.92.

Trying as you suggested with 4GB RAM. I've also loaded the drivers which came with the CD, so older than the ones I had installed initially. Lets see! Thanks for taking the time to help me :) Much appreciated :)

:eek: slap my bum and call me sally.

Its working!! Right, now I'll pop the original drivers I had loaded on so we can confirm it was the 8GB causing the issue!

Why would 8GB work fine with an Nvidia 8800GTS 640MB on exactly the same system? :S

Thank you so much :D

I have the lastest drivers installed.

When playing in windows XP on multiplayer it runs fine but if in single or campain mode after a while it flickers white and you can't see anything untill you look at the ground then goes back to normal.

Also i have installed it on Windows 7 And it works perfectly no problems at all, looks like i will be upgrading to windows 7

System :

Pentium® D 3.00GHz

2 GB of ram

Asus ATI Radeon 2GB HD 4870 X2 GPU 750MHz Mem 3600MHz GDDR5

I too have the white flickering on my 4870x2. I believe its a dual gpu thing. Lets all hope that the new ATI driver or Arma2 patch will sort it out. It is really getting on my nerves. Can anyone let me know if they have solved the problem with a change to windows 7

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

2rmp1t2.jpg

a 4800 will handle 95°C++ on core. and more than 120°C on power stage.

I too have the white flickering on my 4870x2. I believe its a dual gpu thing. Lets all hope that the new ATI driver or Arma2 patch will sort it out. It is really getting on my nerves. Can anyone let me know if they have solved the problem with a change to windows 7
yeah the flicker... if you use Crysis.exe its gone, but you need to use the -winxp flag to get the CF in vista or win7... Or you can turn on PP and its gone... But for me with two 4870x2's, on XP64 9.8 cats, no flicker. In vista64 i would get the usual ARMA flicker at the start of missions, but it would always settle down. I guess i should fire up vista64 and my german version, test it. I am also using the betas. And i dont use Crysis.exe anymore.

a 4800 will handle 95°C++ on core. and more than 120°C on power stage.

What ? Where does this come from ? Most of the PC with a GPU reaching 100° will crash or get massive in game corruption !

What ? Where does this come from ? Most of the PC with a GPU reaching 100° will crash or get massive in game corruption !

no, that comes from the vram and pwn ect... The lead ATI H/W guy has posted on rage3d and a couple of other sites awhile back on the thermals of current(2900 to 47xx) and that the gpu could run at 100c for the life time of the GPU!.. maybe the lifetime is the warranty? But all modern silicone GPU/CPU can run WAY hotter than what was conventional wisdom in the P4/amd era. Idle of 60c is a non issue,90c+ 3D power mode is a non issue with ATI. A well ventilated case is a good idea, and air over the electronics on the card too. I have seen water cooled cards artifact, the gpu was the only thing under the block, was a nice 40c... even little vram heatsinks still need airflow...