Sign in to follow this  
fjaekel

graphics bugs with ATI 4800 series (4850/4870/4890)

So.. I am also guessing that as you have not seen the issue it is not intended to be a fix in the next patch.

I don't believe I at any point said or implied that?

I was giving my own personal feedback as an ATI 4870 owner.

And yes I use Windows7.

I get some black lines with my 4870 1GB. Had similar problems with my 2900XT on arma 1 before it was patched. Im on vista 64bit ultimate btw.

And yes I use Windows7.

Good to know, another person with Windows 7 that does not have this problem.

So far only Windows XP and Vista are affected right?

Already popped one up a few weeks ago.

Oh, did not see it. I have been asked in that thread to open a ticket, so i did. Sorry mate.

I don't believe I at any point said or implied that?

And yes I use Windows7.

Thanks for the feedback that you don't have the issue on your 4870. I too was only leaving personal feedback as you (working for BIS) who has not had the issue nor stated or implied anyone else within BIS has had or experienced the issue would only make me throw a guess in there that you may or may not be looking to 'fix' it.

Lets hope that if this issue were to appear somewhere within BIS (I'm not saying it is or isnt) that you (i'm not saying you personally but addressing BIS) are able to isolate it (i'm not saying you haven't already isolated as you may or may not have) and fix it (if it is not already fixed).

I hope that clears up the confusion (I am not saying you are confused but a gereral confusion over non-commital responses leading to presumption and guess work).

Cheers,

:D

So can we get a sticky on this thread? With 14,000 views it seems to be of interest to the masses :)

Its not the overheating of your card it is the problem with ATI cards and the AA. Just change your AA to disabled or low and it will go away. Somehow AA on ArmA 2 freaks out on ATI cards hopefully they'll fix it.
some ppl can have a overheating issues, and should test that anyways.good debug practice.

From reading this thread, it seems the 512mb cards on xp32 are the most prevalent with the issues.. I do not get any of the issues for any length of time ever...i have 4870x2's 2gb each and Vista64 but before my steam version(1.02.5) i used the -winxp flag no issues... ill try out a xp32 and a xp64.

Edited by kklownboy

I vote for a permanent ban on the next tosser that mentions overheating and/or overclocking.

I vote for a permanent ban on the next tosser that mentions overheating and/or overclocking.
Your 2 posts means no:p

He has my vote. :)

Same problem, same area of the map.

Single Visiontek 4870 512mb (Zalman VF1000 cooler, so it's NOT heat), Intel 3.16ghz duo core, 4gb 1066 matched pair corsair ram, Asus Rampage X48 chipset, XPpro 32-bit SP3. Nothing overclocked, noob settings.

Had this exact same problem with and old 9800xt Radeon card, and Arma1. Assumed it was because that setup and vid-card were old. Therefore, built a new box, and it ran Arma like glass maxed out.

Arma2, not so much. Anyone running crossfire? If so, same problem? Any problems at all? Was waiting for Arma2 to implement crossfire with a second card, but now I'll guess I'll wait.

Ugggh...

Oh, did not see it. I have been asked in that thread to open a ticket, so i did. Sorry mate.

No worries mate the more the merrier. As I said, yours if far more coherent than mine. ;)

All i want is Crossfire to give me better preformance than just using one card as im getting worse frame rates with crossfire enabled at the same graphics settings as when i use just one !?

Q6600 oc @ 3.0ghz

2x HD4870 512mb

4GB corsair xms2

Vista 64

I just want to say that when i went from XP to windows 7 RC 64bit and all my problems are gone! :shine:

No more corrupt texturebug, framerates are no longer 8 in the big cities but 20-30 when in editor, att high graphics.

I still got some flickering textures sometimes, and the sound somethimes get weird but its nothing compared to what problems i had before.

Can finally play the game! :D

So if you have problems with an ATI card in XP try Win7, worked for me anyway.

Just installing now, problem is I don't think NF3 is supported so gonna be a pig to get running.

I just want to say that when i went from XP to windows 7 RC 64bit and all my problems are gone! :shine:

No more corrupt texturebug, framerates are no longer 8 in the big cities but 20-30 when in editor, att high graphics.

I still got some flickering textures sometimes, and the sound somethimes get weird but its nothing compared to what problems i had before.

Can finally play the game! :D

So if you have problems with an ATI card in XP try Win7, worked for me anyway.

though im glad you got a performance improvement, it is perhaps hardly a conclusive test

moving to a new OS obviously included you to install all new drivers along the way, which is to say perhaps a driver update was responsible?

additionally, the game runs much faster in the editor than 'in-game' :cool:

though im glad you got a performance improvement, it is perhaps hardly a conclusive test

moving to a new OS obviously included you to install all new drivers along the way, which is to say perhaps a driver update was responsible?

additionally, the game runs much faster in the editor than 'in-game' :cool:

Haven't seen it in the editor yet. Then again, I haven't loaded up a mission with a ton of units yet, either.

We'll see.

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

All i want is Crossfire to give me better preformance than just using one card as im getting worse frame rates with crossfire enabled at the same graphics settings as when i use just one !?

Q6600 oc @ 3.0ghz

2x HD4870 512mb

4GB corsair xms2

Vista 64

It's running slower with two cards? Does Arma2 not support crossfire?

Are you getting the video bugs that everyone is complaining about in this thread (i.e. giant asparagus attacking you, and completely immune to small arms fire)???

so its confirmed that windows 7 runs this without any issue? which version of catalyst driver? 9.4 or 9.6?

but is there still huge performance hit in built up area or populated towns?

might download and install windows 7 RC later if this is true.

Edited by ryan80

Windows 7 and AGP (ATI Cards) doesn't work so I'm fugged ! Tried everything to get it working and no joy.

Guess ArmA 2 and all its greatness is going to have to wait for me to completely change my system before I can play properly, really happy I wasted my money on the German and UK versions, thanks BIS, great looking game, fantastic functions but doesn't work for me. This is my last post on this so good luck to eveyone else with the issue and I hope you have better luck.

Im on Windows7 64bits, and i have the texture bug with a 4870 1GB

So windows7 isn`t the solution.

My specs: Asus P5Q3 - Q6600 - 8GB RAM - Gigabyte 4870

Windows 7 and AGP (ATI Cards) doesn't work so I'm fugged ! Tried everything to get it working and no joy.

Guess ArmA 2 and all its greatness is going to have to wait for me to completely change my system before I can play properly, really happy I wasted my money on the German and UK versions, thanks BIS, great looking game, fantastic functions but doesn't work for me. This is my last post on this so good luck to eveyone else with the issue and I hope you have better luck.

Mate, we're not changing our systems, that's ridiculous. I'm not upgrading to windows 7, especially at EU prices, just to play ArmA II when I'm happy with XP and it should work with XP.

Same problem of the first post but my gpu is not hot...is same arma problem with ati card.

(only game with this problem)

Xp32 HD4850 512mb 3gb ram.

When I set Texture Detail to Very High than I have similar artefacts. When I set Texture Detail to High, than I don't have artefacts but I can see textures and lods redrawings in heavy geometry locations. When I have Texture Detail=Normal and Video Memory=Very High with AA=Disabled than I receive HUGE performance increase and it removes constant and annoying texture redrawing when I turn around. I have good performance and I don't have any artefacts. I just want to note that my video card has 1Gb of memory installed.

ARMA2 option :

1920*1200

Fillrate - 100%

Texture Detail - Normal

Video Memory - Very High

Anisotropic Filtering - High

AA - Disabled

Terrain Detail - High

Objects Detail - High

Shadow Detail - High

PostProcess Effects- Disabled

Visual Distance - 3000

Yeah it must be the drivers/drivercompability with the game.

Problem could also have been by an old driver that got wiped out when i formated my c: drive as well. Even though i use a driver sweeper.

Hang in there, it's great when you get it to work. :)
Mate, we're not changing our systems, that's ridiculous. I'm not upgrading to windows 7, especially at EU prices, just to play ArmA II when I'm happy with XP and it should work with XP.

The release candidate is free and expire in a year from now. But of course it should work with XP as well.