Sign in to follow this  
Baker65

Dual/Quad CPU Support - How effective?

Are there any first impressions/data on how effectively dual/quad CPU's run the game? Is anything beyond 2 cores used?

I'm using a quad core, and after playing (or trying to play) the campaign, I would have to say not very effective at all. I have a pretty good video card, but performance in the missions is very sluggish.

Specs please :-)

I believe that having a 2.33GHz quad is weaker than 3.5GHz Dual Core, but wonder how it behaves over others. IE. Is 3GHz Q slower or faster than 3.5GHz DC.

Could anyone with a quad core test to what extent is the 4th core used? Just want to know whether three cores would be enough... Thanks in advance.

Specs please :-)

I believe that having a 2.33GHz quad is weaker than 3.5GHz Dual Core, but wonder how it behaves over others. IE. Is 3GHz Q slower or faster than 3.5GHz DC.

Well I have an i7 920 running at 3.2 GHz. If Arma 2 doesn't run well on it, it probably doesn't run well on anything.

q6600 (oc 4x 3.2ghz)

gigabyte p35-ds3p

8800GT (1024mb)

4 GB ram (3.7)

win xp32

..it runs smooth as long as i stay under 100% (fillrate thing)

would look better with AA

I will be able to compare this directly when I get the EU version.

Luckily for me I can unlock the 4th core on my AMD X3 720, so I can do a direct comparison between 3 and 4 cores, everything else equal :)

That's great to hear cm, hope to read your conclusions soon! (the 720 is the processor I thinking of getting).

That's great to hear cm, hope to read your conclusions soon! (the 720 is the processor I thinking of getting).

Remember if your thinking of unlocking the 4th core like CM don't expect it to work, sometimes it will work with others it won't, you need to make sure its stable

This is on a Xeon 3.0 Quad Core server:

arma2dedserverperforman.th.png

Just a couple of players online, playing "Kampf auf engem". At least near 50% usage seen, that's a great start.

Can't wait to do more thorough tests with more AI, more players, and more complex missions and scripts, and who knows what improves in future versions.

Edited by Sickboy

Just a couple of players online, playing "Kampf auf engem". At least near 50% usage seen, that's a great start.

Can't wait to do more thorough tests with more AI, more players, and more complex missions and scripts, and who knows what improves in future versions.

Great, thank you Sickboy for the screenshot. It appears to use the highest core first, which is cool.

I'm using a quad core, and after playing (or trying to play) the campaign, I would have to say not very effective at all. I have a pretty good video card, but performance in the missions is very sluggish.

My game is a bit sluggish too at 1680x1050 (i can go up to 1920x1200)

100% fillrate, medium and high settings

AMD Phenom X4 920 @ 2.8ghz

My game is a bit sluggish too at 1680x1050 (i can go up to 1920x1200)

100% fillrate, medium and high settings

AMD Phenom X4 920 @ 2.8ghz

I'm on an i7 920 @ 3.2 Ghz and 6.6 QPI. 6GB DDR3-1600, GTX 280, 2560x1600. (also play at Windowed 1920x1200 at times)

For me it seems also to run worse than on some of the lower specced machines, though generally not too bad though.

IIRC not very different from A1 in that regard ;) Though I must admit I have not yet played too much with the settings (They are on High and Very High)

Let's wait and see for BI Patch Magic :yay::yay: :yay:

The system is not very effective. A friend with QuadCore reported that his 4 Cores reaches 80%, with a real good grafics card and full hd resolution... We tested it with and without Crossfire Dualcore and we reached nearly 80% on only 2 Cores... So thats a little bit strange. Good to see is that Crossfire seems to work (sometimes with strange white flickering). I reach arround 50fps with dualcore e8500, 2x ati hd4870, 4GB DDR Corsair XMS Dominator and Creative X-FI Sound support. 50fps is the normal, actual not less than 40... sometimes more than 50...

Edited by mt79er

damn, I thought my q9650 would do fine, hope they didn't mess up with quad optimization

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/1604/arma2dedserverperforman.th.png[/

What the hell, judging by that picture, the game isn't multicore optimized at all. Has BIS been feeding us bullshit?

ZIGS's minor knowledge I guess. The separated, most CPU demanding process is running on a separate core (guess it's our bugged AI ;)) Rest of the program tasks are deployed at another 3 cores.

What the hell, judging by that picture, the game isn't multicore optimized at all. Has BIS been feeding us bullshit?

42% of 4 cores is still 'nearly 2 full cores', and seen that peak with only a few players and standard missions on the server.

That's by far anything stressful, and I think it's rather a good thing; what if this constantly used 100% with only 4 players and a standard mission? :)

Edited by Sickboy

It also depends if you multi-task many programs in the background I guess (as a Client). I certainly would like to play the game with Quad. Let's hope someone does really extensive testing to see what the real differences are with more cores :)

can anyone tell me about the dual core performance, say at least 2.8-3.2ghz?, i have a AMD Athlon 6000+ Windsor AM2 3.0ghz overclocked to 3.3ghz which i upgraded to last week from a single core just for ArmA. Could anyone give me a brief summary of how it could or would run ArmA 2? Any players with dual cores here?

After researching found out that quad cores are great for multi-tasking (ie music/graphics/spread sheets) if the OS supports them but for gaming can actually be slower that a comparative Mhz dual core (has something to do with instructions passing between cores).

I would hazard a guess that your Athalon 6000 @ 3.3 Ghz will run it just fine depending on the rest of your system (Graphics,mother board bus speed , memory etc.).

This is one case (CPU's) where bigger isn't always better.

well i just upgraded recently last week, not sure if i could post my specs up, already did in the specifications thread. However i can say i have 4gb of ram, his hd ati radeon 3850 512mb pci-e card, ive heard mixed views and results, but i know i will run it fine, just am wondering if anyone has had trouble or has had success running it on a dual core system? how does it play out? whats your fps rate?

Would be cool to know if Arma2 runs better on XP or Win7 as well

I'm on an i7 920 @ 3.2 Ghz and 6.6 QPI. 6GB DDR3-1600, GTX 280, 2560x1600. (also play at Windowed 1920x1200 at times)

For me it seems also to run worse than on some of the lower specced machines, though generally not too bad though.

IIRC not very different from A1 in that regard ;) Though I must admit I have not yet played too much with the settings (They are on High and Very High)

Let's wait and see for BI Patch Magic :yay::yay: :yay:

Im almost on same set up. core i7 920 6gb and gtx 275 and had same probs. right now im using fullrate optim 100% 1600vd 1920 x 1200 and all other settings set to normal. tested fullrate optim 200% which almost killed my fps. Also when i test high settings and they start to lag and the game slows down and i reset the settings back to defult the lag stll stays there till i restart arma.

Question i wanted to ask is does anyone know for sure if arma dedicated server will use 4cores? And will that also be for client side aswell? Only seems like its using 2cores to me so far. I plan on dedicated 3 cores @ 3.4ghz for a warfare server if it uses 3cores and 2cores for rpg mission on e8400 server