Sign in to follow this  
Gorgi Knootewoot

Vehicle speeds

As in OFP and ArmA, the vehicle speed where always normal and fast. How is this done in ArmA II? I always hoped for a mod or something that allowed to shift gear. Like moving real slow in 1st gear and when you shift it would speed up a bit every shift and go really fast (depending on vehicle) when in 4th or even 5th gear.

Does anyone know how vehicles will handle in ArmAII?

currently in ArmA1 we have 3 keys: Q (slow), W (normal), E(fast)

would be really nice if Q would be the first gear: starting, driving up the hill

W for normal speed (2nd-4th gear)

E for high speed (5th-6th gear)

Edited by ModeZt

taking into account that the driver in ArmA does not shoot or command and basicly uses only 4 keys and a mouse, it seems that such an option would make driving more fun.

Ah ok, we already have 3 in ArmA. Didn't know about that :)

Guess I have to read the manual more often when I buy a game.

driving a vehicle in OFP and ArmA feels awkward compared to other games, the vehicle handling should be improved, the turn radius on some cars were horrible,

taking into account that the driver in ArmA does not shoot or command and basicly uses only 4 keys and a mouse, it seems that such an option would make driving more fun.

Agreed

Maybe driving around the landscape will be less limited this time..I hope so, after some tests the engine appears to have some great offroad potential in traversing difficult terrain.

currently in ArmA1 we have 3 keys: Q (slow), W (normal), E(fast)

would be really nice if Q would be the first gear: starting, driving up the hill

W for normal speed (2nd-4th gear)

E for high speed (5th-6th gear)

W00t the E is faster than Q and W :butbut:

damn thats why I can't take off with A-10 from Rahmadi island sometimes :D

Less limited? I find climbing steep hills in Armed Assault not limiting enough. If I try to lead my guys in a realistic route fashion, I'm outvoted because they know they can traverse almost any terrain with almost any vehicle. Even as infantry I find that I can climb most slopes without too much penalty.

That being said, it appears to me that Arma2 will not have this kind of terrain in the first place. Although I am in favor of this, it also is a bit sad since terrain will have less impact on planning and execution of most missions. Time will show I guess...

Well forests are always a pain to move through for tankers and jeep , truck drivers :D

tree's slow down the moving part so I wouldn't always say that terrain doesn't matter, but sometimes its nice to use a unusual road like driving slalom between tree's in a dense forest just for the fun of it even though the risc is big that you could smack into a tree and break the car :P

W00t the E is faster than Q and W :butbut:

damn thats why I can't take off with A-10 from Rahmadi island sometimes :D

lol the q,w,e only works for boats and land vehicles not planes and helicopters.

The A-10 is too hard to take off though sometimes in ARMA1 and it stalls too easily (IMO) lets hope its fixed for ARMA2 :D

That being said, it appears to me that Arma2 will not have this kind of terrain in the first place. Although I am in favor of this, it also is a bit sad since terrain will have less impact on planning and execution of most missions. Time will show I guess...

Those forests look pretty big...

The vehicular transmission simulation needs better coding.

In Operation Flashpoint driving with Q kept your vehicle in lower RPMs, W just meant more throttle and still early shifting. Using E was like full throttle all the way to the redline.

If engine stress/load (going uphill or heavy cargo) could also be a factor in transmission simulation, the whole driving experience would feel more realistic aswell.

No one shifts when going uphill, going downhill most drivers use lower gears to slow the vehicle down. (not including most automatics)

Also, I'd love to see understeer coded properly in this game. Atm, increased speeds only decrease your steering lock. Some of the effects are the same, but it's not real understeer.

Edited by SgtH3nry3

It's too late to change anything, but in a next patch I would love to find "Q" matching the speed of infantry walk movement.

It's too late to change anything, but in a next patch I would love to find "Q" matching the speed of infantry walk movement.

Good point! Very good point in fact.

This is very logical and really should be in ARMA2. Maybe addon makers can think of it. So one can drive and the rest go behind into towns etc without having to stop all the time or run...

Alex

lol the q,w,e only works for boats and land vehicles not planes and helicopters.

The A-10 is too hard to take off though sometimes in ARMA1 and it stalls too easily (IMO) lets hope its fixed for ARMA2 :D

Yeah I was testing the CWR mod and tried the A-10 there :D

Q is used for leaning, we need another button or something like shift+w/q/e.

Q is used for leaning, we need another button or something like shift+w/q/e.

I think he meant Q should make vehicles drive at walking speed.

exactlly what he meant and it is a good point. Q= infantry walking speed, W= faster, E= fastest. Bit annoying as a tank driver to drive-stop-drive-stop. It would also look more proper if the vehicle can continue to drive while infantry have it as cover moving.

Immersion!

EDIT: ofcourse also the infantry have to shout to you all the time over comms to stop - go - stop - go wich is an immersion killer as well as you get more distracted from what you should do.

I think he meant Q should make vehicles drive at walking speed.

My fault, i thought he wanted an extra walking speed. :o