Sign in to follow this  
kt187

Windage and bullet weight

ok, simple questions.

Is bullet drop and velocity modelled in the game ?

If so, is it in the multiplayer also ?

thx

I hope so. No more sniping laser powered handguns at ridiculous ranges. OFP was awesome but the MP sucked huge ones.

There's no difference in weapon ballistics between SP and MP in OFP. It would be ridiculous if there were.

It would be ridiculous if there were.

yes it would

That is all true what has been posted here in regards to Arma2 ballistics. Air friction and bullet drop is really cool modeled.

I don't mind if Wind effects is implemented or not, i rather care about the lack of correct muzzle velocities for different guns.

Arma2 like Arma1 uses to put the initspeed (= Muzzle Velocity) inside the magazine-class definition.

So you have a Stanag M855 30 Round ball Mag and it is set in Arma2s configs to 900m/sec.

But this is simply wrong, because barrel length, twist, etc. has a huge influence on muzzle-velocities in RL and the Muzzle-Velocity has of course a huge influence on range and damage in RL, as much as it would have in-game if proper made.

You would wonder how much difference it makes to fire with the same ammo on 500m with an M4 (14,5" barrel) or an M16(20" barrel)..... they will completely different penetrate and wound hit "things", even though fired the same ammo. I read a lot of Iraq/Afghanistan Reviews and people complaining about the lack of wounding and penetration power by their M4 beyond 300m, compared to the M16 which still does good wounding beyond 400m.

The Problem here lays when realism Mods like ACE wants to change that, they have to create countless of magazine classes and a script system to euip your with the fitting magazines with the correct Muzzle Velocities defined.

Would be nice if it is defined in the magasine as now but can be changed using a weapon variable. So magasine X in weapon Y = X*Y velocity.

Would be nice if it is defined in the magasine as now but can be changed using a weapon variable. So magasine X in weapon Y = X*Y velocity.

Indeed it would be nice if there would be some sort of config multiplier. I think its not hard to do at all, especially if you are BIS and can modify the core engine to understand this. I mean it would be also doable with scripting/eventhandler combo - but like Headspace alrady told there is this MP locality issue for created "vehicles".

at first i think it would be a good idea to have the muzzle velocities set into the weapon config and have a variable set in magazines config, but the more i through the more i get confused, how would we know the variable of the magazine is same as in different weapon?

I think long long time ago, someone said wind is modelled ingame but it doesnt affect bullets. just the grass/tree sway and particles like smoke and dusts. at least that was in ARMA 1. I think it doesnt change in ARMA2

in arma 1 the m4 and m16 were just as strong because the ammo was the same which definately needs to be fixed for arma 2

I invite you to stand downrange from me this weekend while I use my "pea shooter" to lob 9mm bullets at you from 100 yards away. I think you'll find that they don't bounce off your skin quite as well as you think.

I also own a semi-auto AK style rifle. Trust me when I tell you that 7.63x39 rounds pass through vests like a hot knife through butter. The rifle plates that the military uses in combat vests will stop rifle bullets, even multiple hits. (The ceramic ones, anyway, and as long as the hits are not too closely grouped...) BUT, you're still likely to be hurt as all that kinetic energy has to go somewhere, right?

You have performed these tests? Please don't say "trust me when I tell you" if you are relying on the knowledge of others.

As for helmets, my buddy in the USAF who repairs com lines in combat conditions can tell you just how effective they are. An AK round dug a trench out of the top of the helmet he was wearing and then struck the rifle plate of the guy behind him hard enough to make him fall over. The shooter was at least 50 yards away. He said that if he hadn't bent over to try to dig a spent cartridge that was burning him out of his shirt, that round probably would have killed him.

People that don't know anything about firearms in real life asking for games to mimic their vision of reality = FAIL.

Physics would suggest that the scenario you outlined is not possible unless the gentleman in question was just barely balanced. Did the guy firing the AK fall over backwards when he pulled the trigger? There might be other causes to him falling over other than how "hard" the AK round hit him.