Sign in to follow this  
Pac

Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

64 Players are only for the bigger maps, had good times yesterday on the Kelly's Heroes server as a tank hunter on Red Oktober Factory :yay:

Honestly the game is meh

It's got flashes of COD

a ton of oddities (yes it a beta)

and nothing really NEW has been added to the game.

Im sticking with my order; but I'm not really enthusiastic about RO2 coming out.

Honestly the game is meh

It's got flashes of COD

Im sticking with my order; but I'm not really enthusiastic about RO2 coming out.

i second this. I was actually thinking about taking my preorder and buying minecraft instead.

Honestly the game is meh

It's got flashes of COD

ROFLMAO, it's nothing like CoD.

ROFLMAO, it's nothing like CoD.

RO2 is barely elevated from shoot em up.

Like a mix between ARMA and COD.

Slight flashes of realism and grit, but then slight flashes of gamey-ness.

I'd hardly say RO2 distinguishes itself from other games.

I'm actually really enjoying RO2, even with all the issues the beta has. It's the first proper beta that I've participated in a long time. :)

Damn if you said a mix between arma and bfbc2 then I would have got excited, funny having gamey-ness in a game, who wants that In a game.

That's your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it.

The only real similarities they share are that they are both video games but RO2 does not play anything like the CoD games.

The CoD games are very, very fast with very small maps while RO2 you can find yourself sneaking around for the whole round, taking cover in closets etc.

Edited by BangTail

The CoD games are very, very fast with very small maps while RO2 you can find yourself sneaking around for the whole round, taking cover in closets etc.

Sneaking the whole round and hiding in closets is how you distinguish the two games?

I sneak in all games (starting with OFP pretending to be a scout). You can't sneak all game in RO2. You can sometimes get away with it on RedOctober, but on 64 man servers you usually won't get very far.

I don't know, maybe it's all the beta testers who are completely new to RO. They just zerg to cap zones by themselves and spray the ppsh everywhere.

Most of the maps are pretty small and everyone and his brother have SMGs and semi auto rifles. Aiming at distance is extremely easy and running out of stamina has no consequences like it did in Ro1 (You barely even slow down). You can also carry two weapons and everyone gets a pistol. You can also bandage a nicklesized gunshot wound through your ribs in 2 seconds and keep fighting like nothing happened.

Yeah, this game has no similarities to COD's gameplay.

I like it so far. Did die quite a lot at the start but I haven't played RO in a while so I was a bit rusty. Once you get the hang of it kills and winning rounds feel much more rewarding than games like COD or MOH.

Had a particularly good one on Barracks. I was advancing crouched towards a window at the front of the infirmary building facing the NCO Barracks which the Soviets were holding. When I reached the window an enemy soldier jumped over it. I fired my trusty Kar but just wounded him and he ran off. I wasn't going to go after the guy since he had an SMG but I did anyway and found him in the corner of the next room applying a bandage. I then proceeded towards him and beat him with my rifle. :D

I remember reading about TWI working with mod teams before RO2 was released. Is that still on the go?

I like it so far. Did die quite a lot at the start but I haven't played RO in a while so I was a bit rusty. Once you get the hang of it kills and winning rounds feel much more rewarding than games like COD or MOH.

Had a particularly good one on Barracks. I was advancing crouched towards a window at the front of the infirmary building facing the NCO Barracks which the Soviets were holding. When I reached the window an enemy soldier jumped over it. I fired my trusty Kar but just wounded him and he ran off. I wasn't going to go after the guy since he had an SMG but I did anyway and found him in the corner of the next room applying a bandage. I then proceeded towards him and beat him with my rifle. :D

I remember reading about TWI working with mod teams before RO2 was released. Is that still on the go?

Yeah there is some sort of work on a mod on the ww2 in the pacific, but check their website, thats where i was last updated...! :)

Aiming at distance is extremely easy...

To be fair, the distances in RO2 are all quite short; 150m is considered long range in this game. The lack of iron sight zoom in RO1 was unrealistic and irritating.

I've been mostly enjoying the game so far, although I think that a lot of people overstate its realism. I particularly like the cover system they've created. I think it might be the only first-person cover system I've ever seen. It would be nice to see something similar in a future version of ArmA.

Edited by ST_Dux

To be fair, the distances in RO2 are all quite short; 150m is considered long range in this game. The lack of iron sight zoom in RO1 was unrealistic and irritating.

I've been mostly enjoying the game so far, although I think that a lot of people overstate its realism. I particularly like the cover system they've created. I think it might be the only first-person cover system I've ever seen. It would be nice to see something similar in a future version of ArmA.

I avoid the cover system. It doesn't do anything that I can't do without it other than blind firing but that's a waste anyway. If anything I get stuck using the cover system and get killed because of it.

and the accuracy has been discussed to death on TWI forums. Most are in agreement that it's at least slightly too accurate due to various reasons.

I disagree about the cover system. It allows you to get just below obstacles unlike standard crouching, and it makes it very easy and fast to pop out from the corner of a wall.

Sneaking the whole round and hiding in closets is how you distinguish the two games?

I sneak in all games (starting with OFP pretending to be a scout). You can't sneak all game in RO2. You can sometimes get away with it on RedOctober, but on 64 man servers you usually won't get very far.

I don't know, maybe it's all the beta testers who are completely new to RO. They just zerg to cap zones by themselves and spray the ppsh everywhere.

Most of the maps are pretty small and everyone and his brother have SMGs and semi auto rifles. Aiming at distance is extremely easy and running out of stamina has no consequences like it did in Ro1 (You barely even slow down). You can also carry two weapons and everyone gets a pistol. You can also bandage a nicklesized gunshot wound through your ribs in 2 seconds and keep fighting like nothing happened.

Yeah, this game has no similarities to COD's gameplay.

I don't agree with you at all and you can keep saying they are similar but it doesn't change the fact that they aren't. The gameplay just isn't the same. As I said previously, CoD is extremely fast paced - the maps are designed to be that way. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying that RO2 doesn't play like that, at least not in my experience.

If you want to experience getting shot and not being able to heal, go join the Army, because no videogame is going to simulate that accurately.

FYI, I only play on 'hardcore' servers, not the vanilla ones.

At any rate, let's agree to disagree as there is no point in an endless back and forth :)

Edited by BangTail

The ole "go join the army" response...

My 3 favorite games of all time were realism based (arma/ofp, WW2OL, and RO1).

I played hours upon hours of RO1; RO2 is faster paced. I also mentioned game features that make the game more arcade-like, like COD style shooters, which you haven't addressed.

RO used to be known for being more realism oriented; but it's quite obvious they took a step back from that as they themselves have stated. They wanted to gain a larger market share and earn more money so they needed to cater to the larger market.

Again, I know it's a beta and I'm highly anticipating some of the mods. Hell I'm more interested in the mods than I am of the game itself.

and as for the cover system, I've still been able to kill a lot of players who were using it due to me seeing the top of their head. The cover system doesn't ensure that you are completely behind cover. The people would be better off going prone than going into cover mode.

Elitests bandy that word (realism, realistic etc) around to try and qualify their chosen game as 'more realistic' than a competitor's.

The 'join the army' statement is perfectly appropriate if you want to experience the realistic effects of a bullet wound. Videogames are about the furthest thing from that reality.

Surely, that comes with the influx of new players, who were not familiar with RO, like me :D But the stock maps we've seen until now are very small. Red October Factory was the largest, while Appartments or Barracks with 64 people are just a giant slaughterhouse. I'd imagine that we'll get bigger maps with Sd. Kfz and combined arms after the launch.

Honestly i think the numbers of players can really adjust how the game plays/feels. Personally 64 man servers are a no go for me, its just pointless. Its with those numbers that the game becomes more like COD or BF, just mindless running around not being able to do anything without dying.

But you play in something 32 people or less and it does become a much more tactical game, there is space on the maps to flank and make your way through defensive lines.

Obvisouly this is down to map size... I think the maps in general so far are a good size, but for as i say 32 people or less. For those that want to run or play in 64 man servers you have to accept the fact that it isnt going to be as tactical. It all depends what you want out of the game, one of my guys loves the FireFight gametype. But then again he's a COD player or more so a run and gun player. That syle doesnt appeal to me. But thats what makes RO2 different, yes it can be that way with the player numbers and firefight. It can also be a slower tactical game, which i much prefer.

End of the day the options are there for you to play it as you want, i see that as the difference. Other games dont give you that option.

Edited by Shadow.D. ^BOB^

How's the map size in general?

My impression is that there's a lot of urban combat on the streets, in houses, tunnels etc. Is there a lot of open terrain around the map? What can the map seize be compared to?

Elitests bandy that word (realism, realistic etc) around to try and qualify their chosen game as 'more realistic' than a competitor's.

The 'join the army' statement is perfectly appropriate if you want to experience the realistic effects of a bullet wound. Videogames are about the furthest thing from that reality.

I'm not elitist. I own COD games and BF games and enjoy them. I generally prefer realism over run and gun; but I've never looked down my nose at COD as you seem to suggest.

To dismiss that there are different genres of FPS games is naive.

RO used to be marketed as a more realistic tactical game. That has changed. Me saying I want that style of game back doesn't mean I want to "experience getting shot" :rolleyes: That's like saying if I want a racing game with realistic handling and fuel consumption that I should join the F1 racing circuit...

This whole "join the military" thing is just you exaggerating and trolling to push your agenda (and I'm the elitist?). You have never once actually addressed any of the points I've made about the gameplay mechanics (other than saying you hide in closets; which doesn't prove anything).

I've qualified my statements (and so have TripWire Interactive); you haven't.

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

How's the map size in general?

My impression is that there's a lot of urban combat on the streets, in houses, tunnels etc. Is there a lot of open terrain around the map? What can the map seize be compared to?

Red October is a good size, but it's pretty narrow. Tanks have little room to move and there is not much room to flank (on 64 person servers).

The other maps are about the size of a couple city blocks.

TWI said map size would change depending on the number of players in a server (this isnt in the beta) but from what I've seen 64 person is crowded and we've seen half the maps that are in the final game.

Edited by Montanaro

I'm not elitist. I own COD games and BF games and enjoy them. I generally prefer realism over run and gun; but I've never looked down my nose at COD as you seem to suggest.

To dismiss that there are different genres of FPS games is naive.

RO used to be marketed as a more realistic tactical game. That has changed. Me saying I want that style of game back doesn't mean I want to "experience getting shot" :rolleyes: That's like saying if I want a racing game with realistic handling and fuel consumption that I should join the F1 racing circuit...

This whole "join the military" thing is just you exaggerating and trolling to push your agenda (and I'm the elitist?). You have never once actually addressed any of the points I've made about the gameplay mechanics (other than saying you hide in closets; which doesn't prove anything).

I've qualified my statements (and so have TripWire Interactive); you haven't.

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

I suggested that we agree to disagree but you seem intent on continuing this and taking the things I've said out of context.

I never called you elitest, I said that people who pursue a certain agenda are elitest and if you think that applies to you, then so be it.

You haven't 'qualified' anything, you've stated a personal opinion that I don't happen to agree with and that's fine, civil discourse is encouraged.

Where I will agree with you is that RO2 is aimed at a wider and more diverse audience than RO1, it is still nothing like CoD IMHO.

Your distinct inability to let our difference of opinion fall by the wayside reduced you to playing the 'troll' card.

Now, back to Dead Island. If anyone fancies some Co-oP, don't be shy :D

PS: I'm getting a 1.2GB update for RO2 via Steam, no idea what it is :)

Edited by BangTail