Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Should I get a FX-8350 or successor? Or buy a i5-4570K when it comes out ?

I am waiting to upgrade my 2500k. It runs ArmA 2 well. But my ASRock Extreme 4 is slightly smaller than ATX and it looks awfull in my case. I can see the other side of the panel.

Now I was wondering how the FX-8350 performs? I am not going to buy my third motherboard for this cpu. So that's out of the question.

What do you guys think I should buy?

If your issue is with the motherboard, that's all you need to replace. The 2500K is all you should need.

for gaming there's no real upgrade to a 2500K.

Have to wait and see about that statement with Haswell around the corner. It be stupid to buy anything between now and Haswell release. Anyone who wants to upgrade needs to wait, til solid benchmarks come in.

I am setting up a spec for my first budget build and was wondering what it would perform like. Would these specs be ok for arma 2: CO?

Corsair CX430 - PSU

H61M-P31 - Motherboard

Intel i5 2500k - CPU

1TB 7200rpm - HDD

Zotac 1GB GTX 650 (Non-Ti) - Graphics card

8GB DDR3 1333MHz - RAM

Edited by jajs

Have to wait and see about that statement with Haswell around the corner. It be stupid to buy anything between now and Haswell release. Anyone who wants to upgrade needs to wait, til solid benchmarks come in.

Just speculating but I think the main excitment over the Haswell is the pretty (relative) high end integrated graphics that it'll be offering - thats great news for laptop owners but only a "meh" for middle high to high end discrete card desktop gamers. I don't consider the Ivy Bridge to be a full tier or even a half a tier over the 2500k in terms of gaming and don't generally upgrade till a gaming CPU is a full 2 tiers above my current.

Should be interesting -but doubt I'll be ready to bury my trusty 2500k just yet.

If your issue is with the motherboard, that's all you need to replace. The 2500K is all you should need.

But my ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is ATX format. But it's slightly smaller than ATX, so I have a strange situation in my case. There are visible holes in the backplate and also the PSU cables don't hide nicely because of that.

Also ASRock seems to have lots of bugs in every BIOS they release, now being I cannot disable C3 C6. I spend lots of time getting a C3 C6 overclock stable because of that. First testing 1 core, then moving to 2 cores, then 3 cores and then 4.

My final result is :

1C - 4.2 GHz

2C - 4.3

3C - 4.4

4C - 4.5 GHz

All at less than 1.3v

To reach 4.5 I would need 1.4v and I would still crash in the end. This is the only way to get 4.4GHz+ stable on this cpu.

I was also thinking of buying 2133MHz CL9 memory. We are already getting to the limit with bandwidth in Haswell. Ivy was showing improvements up to 2133MHz I believe.

I am also getting aftermarket air cooling for my evga gtx670 ftw and a good cpu air cooler. I don't think a SSD is really necessary. But I am thinking about it. I would still keep my OS on a 7200 RPM drive. That SSD is still too precious. But for ArmA 2 it would be just great.

I am really hoping with Haswell that we can reduce costs a lot on the motherboard for overclocking. Since VRMs are on die anyway.

Anyway I have still lots of time to think. My only reason for asking this question was that I was maybe thinking of moving to the red camp (AMD). But if the loss is too huge I might just stay.

I am setting up a spec for my first budget build and was wondering what it would perform like. Would these specs be ok for arma 2: CO?

Corsair CX430 - PSU

H61M-P31 - Motherboard

Intel i5 2500k - CPU

1TB 7200rpm - HDD

8GB DDR3 1333MHz - RAM

(Posted again on a fresh page, so I don't get missed out)

Corsair CX430 - PSU

H61M-P31 - Motherboard

Intel i5 2500k - CPU

1TB 7200rpm - HDD

8GB DDR3 1333MHz - RAM

The only comment I have to say is about the PSU. Don't bother with the Corsair CX line. Corsair fanboys (or Corbots as I call them) blindly recommend them all over the place just because they have the Corsair logo. Go out on Newegg and you'll find that the CX line has roughly the same track record as the Raidmax RX line-plenty of DOAs and units dying within a year. I'd recommend the Antec Earthwatts Green EA-380D, which has a sterling track record on Newegg, and still has enough power for a GTX 660 if you wanted to use one, although that would be pushing it. Just out of curiosity, what case are you going to use?

The only comment I have to say is about the PSU. Don't bother with the Corsair CX line. Corsair fanboys (or Corbots as I call them) blindly recommend them all over the place just because they have the Corsair logo. Go out on Newegg and you'll find that the CX line has roughly the same track record as the Raidmax RX line-plenty of DOAs and units dying within a year. I'd recommend the Antec Earthwatts Green EA-380D, which has a sterling track record on Newegg, and still has enough power for a GTX 660 if you wanted to use one, although that would be pushing it. Just out of curiosity, what case are you going to use?

Not much left in my budget, I was looking at getting the inwin griffin case.

I would not be using that 650, it won't be great, imo.. The Ti would be a little better if you can afford that, or a 57** or later series amd, or 67** or later series amd..

I would have gone for a NZXT Source 210/Tempest 210, or a BitFenix Merc Alpha. They have bottom mounted power supplies with bottom vents, allowing you to mount the power supplies with the fan facing down. Not as much side panel ventilation, but excellent top panel ventilation. But hey, if it's what you want, go for the In Win.

Just speculating but I think the main excitment over the Haswell is the pretty (relative) high end integrated graphics that it'll be offering - thats great news for laptop owners but only a "meh" for middle high to high end discrete card desktop gamers. I don't consider the Ivy Bridge to be a full tier or even a half a tier over the 2500k in terms of gaming and don't generally upgrade till a gaming CPU is a full 2 tiers above my current.

Should be interesting -but doubt I'll be ready to bury my trusty 2500k just yet.

One of the perks is the new integrated gfx, and much less power needed. Therefore runs much cooler, and much higher clocks will be able to be achieved. If anyone is just a average gamer and isn't going for the highest CPU speed, than staying with a 2500k will be fine and dandy. But if you play ARMA a lot, and its your main game, Higher CPU clocks should be a #1 goal. Due to ARMAs CPU heavy engine. Higher CPU clock speed = higher FPS.

Corsair CX430 - PSU

H61M-P31 - Motherboard

Intel i5 2500k - CPU

1TB 7200rpm - HDD

8GB DDR3 1333MHz - RAM

(Posted again on a fresh page, so I don't get missed out)

since you wont be able to overclock with that board I wouldn't get the 2500K. i5-3350p should be a bit cheaper and perform similar. if you put it on a Z75,Z77,Z68 or P67 board you can even overclock 400 mhz.

3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3770 (8M Cache, up to 3.4 GHz)

OPERATING SYSTEM Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English

MEMORY 16GB (2 X 8GB) Dual Channel DDR3 up to 1600MHz

OPTICAL DRIVE Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BD-ROM, DVD+-RW, CD-RW)

VIDEO CARD NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660 1.5GB GDDR5

CHASSIS COLOR Matte Stealth Black with Dark Chrome Accents

WIRELESS DW1506 Wireless-N WLAN Half Mini-Card

Alienware x51 R4

since you wont be able to overclock with that board I wouldn't get the 2500K. i5-3350p should be a bit cheaper and perform similar. if you put it on a Z75,Z77,Z68 or P67 board you can even overclock 400 mhz.

I'm not going to overclock now but I will later, so all I will have to buy is a new motherboard and not a new CPU. For some reason though my motherboard box says "OC Genie II, 1 second overclocking". I don't believe for a £40 motherboard I could use it to overclock, but why would it say I can? :confused:

Edited by jajs

3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3770 (8M Cache, up to 3.4 GHz)

OPERATING SYSTEM Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English

MEMORY 16GB (2 X 8GB) Dual Channel DDR3 up to 1600MHz

OPTICAL DRIVE Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BD-ROM, DVD+-RW, CD-RW)

VIDEO CARD NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660 1.5GB GDDR5

CHASSIS COLOR Matte Stealth Black with Dark Chrome Accents

WIRELESS DW1506 Wireless-N WLAN Half Mini-Card

Alienware x51 R4

Arma 2 should not be maxed, should run fine on more modest settings.

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

I'm not going to overclock now but I will later, so all I will have to buy is a new motherboard and not a new CPU. For some reason though my motherboard box says "OC Genie II, 1 second overclocking". I don't believe for a £40 motherboard I could use it to overclock, but why would it say I can? :confused:

H61 chipset doesnt allow cpu overclocking, it allows the onboard gpu to be overclocked though so maybe that's what the genie is for.

Edited by Leon86

Well I’m not sure if this is the right thread to ask in, but seeing no other threads that are regards cpu/gpu performance, I have posted it here.

To those who run a 2gb or 3gb card, what sort of gpu memory usage are you getting, the reason I ask is that my mem usage has increased over the last few beta’s, well in-fact steadily increasing for the last dozen or more.

Now I usually run my card on in-game settings of ‘Vid Mem = Very High’, mainly because it gave me better fps (around 5-10fps higher) and set to ‘default’ I would only get the same mem usage of around 800-950 anyway, so no real need to shift.

Now I noticed it getting higher, so thought, if its moving I will try it on ‘Default’, I did, and on some islands it doubled the gpu mem usage, i.e. 1800 ap as here.

So I’m interested what 2 or 3gb card users are getting, I monitor mine with msi-afterburner so can get a screenshot, just wondering if anyone can let me in on their gpu mem usage ?

Also 1gb card users, are you seeing any increase too ?

Should have said: I am running a HD5850 2gb Toxic (Sapphire/Radeon AMD)..

:)

Edited by ChrisB

*Caution noob question* Console gamer but have been looking into getting into Arma and the whole world it brings with it. Now my only problem is a pc.

My funds are limited to around $700 tops and also dont want to spend too much due to limited playing time. I heard building your own pc would get you the best bang for your buck but I know basically nothing about pc's or its hardware so im not even sure i want to go in that direction.

Im currently looking into buying a used pc due to its price range but not too sure on how the pc would perform. So im basically asking for some advice on if i should buy used, or build what i can with what i have? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

*Caution noob question* Console gamer but have been looking into getting into Arma and the whole world it brings with it. Now my only problem is a pc.

My funds are limited to around $700 tops and also dont want to spend too much due to limited playing time. I heard building your own pc would get you the best bang for your buck but I know basically nothing about pc's or its hardware so im not even sure i want to go in that direction.

Im currently looking into buying a used pc due to its price range but not too sure on how the pc would perform. So im basically asking for some advice on if i should buy used, or build what i can with what i have? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well you could go to one of those build a custom pc sites such as http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Mega_Special_I/ but you will generally get less quality for your money as they're building it for you.

Buying a used PC can be a dicey proposition unless you know the owner -I wouldn't recommend it. I started building PC's maybe 7 years ago and just watch a tutorial of the internet while I was literally living in the jungle -no Radio Shack nearby if I needed a screw (no jokes).

Heres what I found on NewEgg which would do you pretty well as a 1st build:

~Intel 2500k: The most important aspect of your computer is here and this chip is quite literally outstanding both stock and even more so with it's overclockability. $220.00

~ HIS Radeon 7850 2gb Video card. Great reviews and pretty strong card. $189.00

~Asus p8z77 Motherboard: Looks decent enough $139.00

~8 Gigs of 1333 DDR3 Crucial Ram: $43.00

~Antec 650W Power Supply: $79.00

~Thermaltake VD Black ATX Mid Tower Case: $45.00

Total: $715.00

That not including monitor, keyboard , speakers and mouse but I'm assuming (hoping) you at least have some of these. Oh, and of course Windows 7 (another $100)

Wow, thanks for your thoughtful input. I understand what your saying bout the buying used issue which is why i asked for advice because no i dont know the seller, its from craigslist. Here's the links to some i was lookin at http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/sys/3548732038.html http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/sys/3573803839.html

But im thinking i might have to look into the NewEgg option you posted and start lookin around on how to build it. Also forgot to mention at first, trying to play BF3 as well. Is it possibly with what you posted? Thanks

Wow, thanks for your thoughtful input. I understand what your saying bout the buying used issue which is why i asked for advice because no i dont know the seller, its from craigslist. Here's the links to some i was lookin at http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/sys/3548732038.html http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/sys/3573803839.html

But im thinking i might have to look into the NewEgg option you posted and start lookin around on how to build it. Also forgot to mention at first, trying to play BF3 as well. Is it possibly with what you posted? Thanks

Without question it will play BF3 like a boss!

Lads,

Can someone do me favour and give me a top three computers on the link below with the price range from 500-900 as going to purchase one ASAP!

http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Computer/cat/Gaming-PC

Cheers!!!

http://www.ebuyer.com/410613-cyberpower-gaming-squadron-elite-pc-ecc01144#product-description

I'd get that one. 8GB ram, i5 quad and a gtx660, and still reasonably priced.

there's a 600,- machine on that site with an i5 quad and a 7850, but that's a 1GB card, a bit on the low side. also less harddrive space, although 1TB is more than enough for most.

Lads,

Can someone do me favour and give me a top three computers on the link below with the price range from 500-900 as going to purchase one ASAP!

http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Computer/cat/Gaming-PC

Cheers!!!

Not sure I understand the question -your ceiling is 900 and the best system is 899.....seems like a no brainer to me :rolleyes:

As above, you could build WAY better for that amount of money.