Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

I'm about to buy a new laptop with gaming in mind.

Based on the following specs, could I run ArmAII on it on at least on high settings?

- 8 Gigs of RAM

- 1 Terabyte HDD

- 3rd generation Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor (Quad Core) 2.3GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.3GHz

- Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

- NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M switchable graphics with 2048MB gDDR5 and 1696MB total graphics memory

- Blu-ray player and SuperMulti DVD burner

I know that, on paper, my specs meet both the minimum and recommended specs for ArmAII. But in practice, how would these specs do with ArmAII? I'd REALLY, REALLY appreciate an answer, especially before I buy my laptop.

Edited by glock_model_22

Hi there everyone.

First time PC buyer (long time Mac user and fed up I can never play anything).

Anyway, strange as it sounds I have never bought a PC in my life, and there seems so many varieties of machines I am scared I am not gong to get a good enough one for Arma 2 and it's various mods/add ons/etc.

I am currently living in Chile and found this:

CPU

Pentium G620 2.6GHZ

Placa Madre

ECS H61H2.M12

Graficos

***Video GT 440 1GB GDDR3

Ram

4GB Kingston 1333Mhz

Disco Duro

500GB(Seagate,WD)

Optico

Grabador de DVD LG

Gabinete

Gabinete Clio*** ATX 600W

Now, is that good enough to run Arma2, and if so, at what quality?

Any help would be great, I just found out about this game from YouTube and it looks simply stunning!!

Thanks again.

Hi there everyone.

First time PC buyer (long time Mac user and fed up I can never play anything).

Anyway, strange as it sounds I have never bought a PC in my life, and there seems so many varieties of machines I am scared I am not gong to get a good enough one for Arma 2 and it's various mods/add ons/etc.

I am currently living in Chile and found this:

CPU

Pentium G620 2.6GHZ

Placa Madre

ECS H61H2.M12

Graficos

***Video GT 440 1GB GDDR3

Ram

4GB Kingston 1333Mhz

Disco Duro

500GB(Seagate,WD)

Optico

Grabador de DVD LG

Gabinete

Gabinete Clio*** ATX 600W

Now, is that good enough to run Arma2, and if so, at what quality?

Any help would be great, I just found out about this game from YouTube and it looks simply stunning!!

Thanks again.

that will run it on very low settings. Will not run arma 3 if the projected system requirements are anything to go by.

You can try running stuff on your mac via bootcamp, performance will be determined largely by what graphics chip is in your mac (mac's always have modest gpu's compared to cpu's)

Specs:

i5 3570k ivy bridge (3.4ghz, 3.8 ghz turbo boost)

PowerColor 7850 2gb

8gb DDr3 1600

7200 RPM 6.0gb/s 1tb HD

1920/1080 resolution monitor

I see a lot of new options in the video settings screen and just need to know what would be the best settings (for my rig) that look the best but also give me somewhat decent FPS.

Few things:

ATOC gives my trees and grass a weird grid bug so I don't think I can use it. Also, PP effects usually stay at Low. Thanks!

Will my new laptop play Arma 2 on high

3rd generation Intel Core i7 - 3610qm

Nvidia GT650M 2GB GDDR3

4gb of ram

1080p screen

Specs:

i5 3570k ivy bridge (3.4ghz, 3.8 ghz turbo boost)

PowerColor 7850 2gb

8gb DDr3 1600

7200 RPM 6.0gb/s 1tb HD

1920/1080 resolution monitor

I see a lot of new options in the video settings screen and just need to know what would be the best settings (for my rig) that look the best but also give me somewhat decent FPS.

Few things:

ATOC gives my trees and grass a weird grid bug so I don't think I can use it. Also, PP effects usually stay at Low. Thanks!

Try these tried and tested settings:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?85124-ArmA2-OA-%28low%29-performance-issues&p=2081466#post2081466

And let us know how you get on...

Will my new laptop play Arma 2 on high

3rd generation Intel Core i7 - 3610qm

Nvidia GT650M 2GB GDDR3

4gb of ram

1080p screen

dunno about "high" but it should run fine and look good if you take a bit of time to try out settings.

Hi,

I'm considering upgrading my computer a bit and I wanted to get anyones experience/ advice as to whether what I'm planning will make Arma2 OA run any faster or more smoothly.

My current set-up is an over clocked Intel Core 2 Quad 9550 with 4Gb of 800MHz DDR2 memory and an ATi 4890 graphics card. It's running Windows XP Pro and Arma is installed on an SSD. I get between 15-30 FPS normally, dropping to single figures when there's a lot going on. I'm fairly happy with this as I do run a lot of mods, but it does seem to stop some scripts, such as Mando Missile, running properly at lower FPS.

My two financially possible upgrades are -

1) Spend about 80 pounds on a new motherboard and 8Gb of 1333MHz DDR3 memory. Given the cost and hassle of installing a whole new board, will the faster memory result in a noticeably faster game?

2) Spend about 150 pounds on an ATI 7850 card. Will I get a noticeable increase in speed and graphics quality over the 4890? Also will it be any quieter as the 4890 sounds like a vacuum cleaner when running at full capacity?

I'd really appreciate any comments from people who've upgraded in a similar way and any other tips on possible, relatively cheap, hardware performance boosters would also be gratefully accepted.

Hi,

I'm considering upgrading my computer a bit and I wanted to get anyones experience/ advice as to whether what I'm planning will make Arma2 OA run any faster or more smoothly.

My current set-up is an over clocked Intel Core 2 Quad 9550 with 4Gb of 800MHz DDR2 memory and an ATi 4890 graphics card. It's running Windows XP Pro and Arma is installed on an SSD. I get between 15-30 FPS normally, dropping to single figures when there's a lot going on. I'm fairly happy with this as I do run a lot of mods, but it does seem to stop some scripts, such as Mando Missile, running properly at lower FPS.

My two financially possible upgrades are -

1) Spend about 80 pounds on a new motherboard and 8Gb of 1333MHz DDR3 memory. Given the cost and hassle of installing a whole new board, will the faster memory result in a noticeably faster game?

2) Spend about 150 pounds on an ATI 7850 card. Will I get a noticeable increase in speed and graphics quality over the 4890? Also will it be any quieter as the 4890 sounds like a vacuum cleaner when running at full capacity?

I'd really appreciate any comments from people who've upgraded in a similar way and any other tips on possible, relatively cheap, hardware performance boosters would also be gratefully accepted.

the 7850 should be much more quiet, and get you higher fps outside of towns, or allow you to increase image quality by increasing the amount of antialiasing.

getting a new board with more ram will not help at all, and will force you to get a 64 bit os as well.

Ideally get a new cpu/mobo/ram first, then upgrade the gpu. you could also get the gpu first, but you'll have the same performance in worstcase scenarios, just a prettier picture when you do.

generally, better CPU is anything Arma2 is bottlenecked presently :[

well, you could consider moving to 64x-bit OS'es like side-effect bonus.

frequently/reasonalby many gamedeve studios/teams[including leads] in Epic and Crytek [and WS]cursed toward Microsoft because they "shouldn't" release 32-bit editions of Vista and Win7, except Starter editions.

because swapping become considerably disastrous even with 2.5k viewdistance on moderate settings of average server/map after half-hour or about.

so 64-bit binaries for Arma2 wasn't a "option", but ONLY and Main tool to survive.

p.s.

note: most GPU's and storage/chipsets was released in 32-bit editions are "for compatibility only" and lack some essential features[aside performance or IQ], last year.

Edited by BasileyOne

-Possessor: AMD Phenom FX-5000 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.9GHz

-Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2

-Ram: 4g

-Mbord: ASRock N68C-S UCC

would i be able to run Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead??

-Possessor: AMD Phenom FX-5000 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.9GHz

-Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2

-Ram: 4g

-Mbord: ASRock N68C-S UCC

would i be able to run Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead??

with that kind of ancient hardware I think you already have the system. In that case try the demo of operation arrowhead, or arma 2: free and see for yourself.

yeah, IB outperform even Deneb/Thuban on similar clocks inside Arma2 at about 70% rate :(

more old/ancient CPU's perform slower, yep.

but first Phenom was probably slowest one :[

extra-cores and cache kinda help, but won't much. worst possible case of Arma2 setup.

Hello,

Below is my current specs for the gaming PC I am wanting to build. I want to make it as cheap as possible but still able to play ARMA 2 and 3. I have no idea about building a PC - would these specs be ok to play Arma 2 and what else do I need? (monitor, keyboard and mouse I already have)

Thanks

"Motherboard

Z77-Pro4-M 103

CPU

i7-3770K 335

Solid State Drive

Intel SSD-330 SATA3 60GB / 120GB 68

VGA

1G GTX 650 Gigabyte 145

1G 7750 Sapphire 99

RAM

Patriot Gamer2 45

= 696 or 650

"

Edited by Tales03

Hello,

Below is my current specs for the gaming PC I am wanting to build. I want to make it as cheap as possible but still able to play ARMA 2 and 3. I have no idea about building a PC - would these specs be ok to play Arma 2 and what else do I need? (monitor, keyboard and mouse I already have)

Thanks

"Motherboard

Z77-Pro4-M 103

CPU

i7-3770K 335

Solid State Drive

VGA

1G GTX 650 Gigabyte 145

1G 7750 Sapphire 99

RAM

Patriot Gamer2 45

= 696 or 650

"

What do you need is some realy good aircooling, like noctua NHD-14, and overclock that CPU as much as you can. Only then you can enjoy this game... you will allways be CPU bottlenecked in this game. Im hoping i can play this game at constant 30+ fps in large towns with nextGEN cpu generation (intel haswell at 5+ GHz) and at scenarios with alot of AI (i like to make my own small wars with hundreds of AI in editor).

Next thing you can have to eliminate stuttering is 32GB of RAM and place whole game+addons in RAMdrive.... (that is not to expensive 4x8GB sticks can be found for 200$).

Hello,

Thanks

"Motherboard

Z77-Pro4-M 103

CPU

i7-3770K 335

Solid State Drive

VGA

1G GTX 650 Gigabyte 145

1G 7750 Sapphire 99

RAM

Patriot Gamer2 45

= 696 or 650

"

if the system is mainly for gaming my advice would be to get a 3570K instead of the 3770K and getting a more powerfull gpu like the gtx660 or hd7850. those are very fast but still have decent price/performance.

What do you need is some realy good aircooling, like noctua NHD-14, and overclock that CPU as much as you can. Only then you can enjoy this game... you will allways be CPU bottlenecked in this game. Im hoping i can play this game at constant 30+ fps in large towns with nextGEN cpu generation (intel haswell at 5+ GHz) and at scenarios with alot of AI (i like to make my own small wars with hundreds of AI in editor).

Next thing you can have to eliminate stuttering is 32GB of RAM and place whole game+addons in RAMdrive.... (that is not to expensive 4x8GB sticks can be found for 200$).

What you need is to stop posting useless and uninformed messages like the above.

on topic: what Leon said. Moreso, if you already have a higher capacity HDD, use it. If not, take one into account, 128 GB is very little space by todays standards.

Edited by PuFu
cheers bangtail

I have just turned my back on the Xbox 360 and returned to PC gaming again. Therefore I bought a new rig which should arrive next week. I really curious about how you pros will think it will run Arma 2.

Here are the specs:

Mobo: MSI Z77A-S01 ATX

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K Ivy Bridge

Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 MHz 8GB

GPU: MSI GTX 680 Lightning

PSU: Corsair TX 650

I am planning to overclock CPU and GPU...

All feedback appreciated!

I have just turned my back on the Xbox 360 and returned to PC gaming again. Therefore I bought a new rig which should arrive next week. I really curious about how you pros will think it will run Arma 2.

Here are the specs:

Mobo: MSI Z77A-S01 ATX

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K Ivy Bridge

PSU: Corsair TX 650

All feedback appreciated!

The motherboard and the psu seem to be kind of "budget" models, which is strange because you are spending a lot on a lightning gpu and an expensive H100. If you want to do a huge overclock and then do synthetic stresstests like LinX the board might break. Although the limit may also be the cpu, the ivy bridge cpu's run notoriously hot. Dont get a sandy though, ivy is slightly more efficient clock/clock and pci-e 3 is also a nice feature.

My advice would be to get a slightly more expensive motherboard, 80+ gold or platinum PSU, if you want to save a bit of money get a cheaper GPU, like a 670 with a highend cooler.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/06/22/amd-radeon-7970-3gb-ghz-edition-review/3

Take from it what you will. :)

Cost not an issue, eh? I'd replace the waterblock with a good air cooler, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018 Performance and construction is similar to the previous king of aircooling - Thermalright Silver Arrow, which had been discontinued sadly. :( Review,

The heatsink shouldn't be a problem, seeing that you have,

Thanx for your input!

The PSU is a V2 80+ Bronze so I think I'll be alright with it. I won't need more than 650W at this point. The mobo is essentially a A-G45 but without video outs (no need for that with a GeForce GTX 680 right? ;) ) and I haven't heard anything about those boards not coping with OC to 4.2-4.6 GHz.

Also: I have already bought the system in a Corsair Vengeance C70 case so I'm more curious about how the system will perform (in your opinion). ;)

EDIT: Cost IS an issue or I would have went for i7 and GTX 690. I drew a line at approx 2300 USD/1700 EUR and this is what that money got me. I wanted a high end GPU and I got a good price on the H100. :)

Edited by ElHadji

psu will work fine, but it might be noisy and it's inefficient compared to the higher end psu's (80+ gold ones with 7yr warranty).

and the G45 is msi's second cheapest Z77 motherboard, for only 20,- more you have a GD55, and only 50 more a GD65 which is a real highend board. I'd def recommend at least getting a GD55.

and a 7970 lighting is a nice card too, as long as you dont use crossfire. Only downside is that is has no dual link DVI ports, so no 120hz or 1440p unless the screen has displayport.

Edited by Leon86

Good point Leon! I'll keep that in mind in case I need to upgrade my mobo for one reason or another.

How do you think Arma 2 will run on this system? What should I keep in mind in terms of in-game video settings etc in order to get the most possible out of the game?

How do you think Arma 2 will run on this system?

No. Get a Quad SLI.

Seriously, people have been running ArmA II at 1080p maxed out without AA back in 2009 on HD4890s, myself included. If you're going multiscreen or 1440p+ resolution, then I'd advise for HD 7970 GHz edition. Review the benchmarks, www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/06/22/amd-radeon-7970-3gb-ghz-edition-review/3

What should I keep in mind in terms of in-game video settings etc in order to get the most possible out of the game?

The GTX 680 has a memory bandwidth bottleneck at higher resolutions with AA enabled. :) In terms of in-game settings, the usual: AA fine-tuned to your specific circumstances, V-Sync off, everything else is preferential and can be V. High.

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

No. Get a Quad SLI.

Seriously, people have been running ArmA II at 1080p maxed out without AA back in 2009 on HD4890s, myself included. If you're going multiscreen or 1440p+ resolution, then I'd advise for HD 7970 GHz edition. Review the benchmarks, www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/06/22/amd-radeon-7970-3gb-ghz-edition-review/3

I wish it was that simple. Testing with E08 I get more like 35 FPS @1920x1200 with my 6950 2GB with similar settings (some lower, like AA, PP and Terrain Detail, plus ATOC and PPAA which are new)

VD 3000, Texture Detail - V.High, Video Memory - Default, AF - Very High, AA - Low

Terrain Detail - V.Low, Objects - V.High, Shadows - V.High,, HDR - Normal

PP - Low, ATOC - All Trees, PPAA - SMAA V.High, Vsync - Disabled

In terms of in-game settings, the usual: AA fine-tuned to your specific circumstances, V-Sync off, everything else is preferential and can be V. High.

Why do you suggest V-Sync off? You get terrible tearing like that. Maybe it doesn't bother you but I find it really offputting.