Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

I would go for that one then : OCZ Vertex SATA-II 120 GB Solid State HDD - Silent

That's an SSD hard drive.

You can always keep the one you're using now to "store" or back things up...no need to have a fast one for that matter you'll just need space.

EDIT:

And also I would go the ATI way...the 5970 is just the most powerful GFX on earth to date.

All together you'll need to add about 230£ but then you'll have something!

Edited by 50.cal

SSDs are not the best investment where gaming is concerned (unless you care about a slightly faster load time) but they will help the OS so a small SSD for the OS isn't a bad idea. You don't need a 120GB SSD. If you have cash to burn then obviously, they are the better choice in the long run (or if you are doing other things with your PC such as video editing where you will definitely notice the difference over any conventional HDD in or out of RAID).

The 5970 is not a good choice for Arma 2 so avoid at all costs. As far as ATI goes, stick to a single GPU solution such as the 5870 (or wait for the imminent 6xxx series). Having said that, the 480 is a better choice as far as Arma 2 is concerned.

On a side note, if you do decide on an SSD, OCZ are very good, go Vertex 2 (or Agility 2), they use the more advanced 'Sandforce' controller.

Edited by BangTail

i had another go but with an i7 920

Computer Case Antec P193 - Silent

CPU Intel Core i7 960 D0 (4 x 3.20GHz) 8 MB

CPU Heatsink Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro - Silent

Memory OCZ GOLD 6GB (3x2GB) 1600MHz - Lifetime Warranty (DDR3)

Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 SC - 1536 MB - (EVGA) (Includes Mafia2 Free)

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 (Intel X58)

Sound Card Motherboard Integrated 7.1 Sound

Networking Motherboard Integrated Ethernet Lan (Broadband Ready)

USB Ports 6 x USB 2.0 Ports & 2 x USB 3.0 Ports

Firewire Ports 1 Port Firewire IEEE 1394 (Built In)

Power Supply Corsair 850W Advanced (CMPSU-850HXUK) - Modular

Case Wiring Professional Standard

Hard Drive #1 1 TB (1000 GB) SATA-II Western Digital (WD10EARS) - 64 MB - Caviar Green

Optical Drive #1 Samsung (S222A) DVD +/-RW 22x Dual Layer - Black (IDE)

Operating System #1 Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64 BIT (Genuine DVD & COA Included)

Backup Software Windows Backup

Monitor #1 22" LG (W2261VP) Widescreen TFT - Gloss Black - HDMI/DVI-D/VGA - 2ms - (HD 1080p)

System Total Ex Vat:

Delivery Ex Vat:

Services:

Vat (17.5%):

Grand Total Inc Vat:

£1,708.08

£ 0.00

£ 0.00

£ 298.91

£2,006.99

bet that kick armas arse expensive thow :eek:

The i7-9xx is more expensive but performs (clock for clock) equal to the i5-7xx in games, so the 960 is (3.2-2.8)/2.8= 14% faster, but (wher I live) it's (515-180)/180= 186% more expensive. Only if you run a dual gtx480 sli setup you may have benefit due to more pci-e bandwith.

The parts you have chosen are expensive but will not be much faster, they're loaded with features for extreme overclocking, or other enthousiast projects. that's what makes them expensive.

And Bangtail has been running lots of SSD's, dual 5870's a 5970 and 480's in sli, so I guess you should take his word over anyone else's.

And one final thing: the antec p193 is the same as a 183 only the 193 has a very ugly fan blob/duct/thing on the side, avoid :)

Edited by Leon86

And Bangtail has been running lots of SSD's, dual 5870's a 5970 and 480's in sli, so I guess you should take his word over anyone else's.

Looking forward to ATI's 6xxx series and REALLY hoping that ATI's drivers continue to improve.

CF scaling is still pretty weak compared to SLI.

Hmm ok really not sure what to go for iam not bothered about how much its goin to cost but at same time as you mentioned i dont want spend alot money on stuff that sounds fancey but does'nt really improve performace a whole lot.

Pc technology moves so fast :( its like you shed out £1000+ thinking you getting some thing half decent then next month there shit load new stuff out.

Wish i read up more before bought my last pc dont really want make same mistake again.

edit Oh yeah i guess all my answers in bangtails sig ;-) just want nice smooth arma no texture popins and fuck ups ect

Ready for optical snares blast core mod :D

how much did that set you back bangtail £2000+ ?

Edited by muttly

Hmm ok really not sure what to go for iam not bothered about how much its goin to cost but at same time as you mentioned i dont want spend alot money on stuff that sounds fancey but does'nt really improve performace a whole lot.

Pc technology moves so fast :( its like you shed out £1000+ thinking you getting some thing half decent then next month there shit load new stuff out.

Wish i read up more before bought my last pc dont really want make same mistake again.

edit Oh yeah i guess all my answers in bangtails sig ;-) just want nice smooth arma no texture popins and fuck ups ect

Ready for optical snares blast core mod :D

how much did that set you back bangtail £2000+ ?

Yah, many dollars but I use them for many things (not just gaming). You can have a great experience in A2 without breaking the bank :)

Edited by BangTail

Omg NVIDIA Quadro FX4500 - 4 GB - DP/BNC/DL DVI-I/Stereo is this the very latest card ? there asking £4744 for it hahaha fuck that.

Id want it to wank me off and make my dinner aswell as play games for that much money.

The 5970 is not a good choice for Arma 2 so avoid at all costs. As far as ATI goes, stick to a single GPU solution such as the 5870 (or wait for the imminent 6xxx series). Having said that, the 480 is a better choice as far as Arma 2 is concerned.

WOW THIS! i just down graded from a 5970 to a heavily OC'd 5870 and iam getting 5 to 10 extra FPS AND NO MORE MICRO-STUTTERING! the only time the 5970 was faster was at a 150% or over fillrate it also seemed to have a better minimum FPS - i think this due to the 2gb of VRAM - and i normally play at 1920x1200 with a 120% fillrate. so the 5870 especially when oc'd is a BEAST and has had me pleasantly surprised... better overall performance and $170 more in my pocket (i sold the 5970 for $550) :D ...but as for the gtx 480 my younger brother has one and while it a tad faster in most games my 5870 is noticeably faster in arma 2. also his gpu fan goes NUTS when he plays arma 2.

Edited by UncleKeith

Omg NVIDIA Quadro FX4500 - 4 GB - DP/BNC/DL DVI-I/Stereo is this the very latest card ? there asking £4744 for it hahaha fuck that.

Id want it to wank me off and make my dinner aswell as play games for that much money.

Pro card, not for gaming.

AHHHHH iam hanging over the check out button

Computer Case Antec P183 - Silent

Memory Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) XMS3 1600MHz - Lifetime Warranty (DDR3)

Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 SC - 1536 MB - (EVGA) (Includes Mafia2 Free)

Networking Edimax Wireless LAN 150Mbps (PCI)

Power Supply Corsair 850W (CMPSU-850TXUK)

Hard Drive #1 OCZ Vertex SATA-II 120 GB Solid State HDD - Silent

Optical Drive #1 Samsung (SH-D162D) 16x DVD-ROM Black (IDE)

Operating System #1 Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64 BIT (Genuine DVD & COA Included)

Monitor #1 22" LG (W2261VP) Widescreen TFT - Gloss Black - HDMI/DVI-D/VGA - 2ms - (HD 1080p)

Keyboard Logitech Deluxe 250 Keyboard (USB)

Mouse Logitech RX250 Optical Mouse (USB)

Speakers Logitech 2.0 S-120 Black Speakers

Free Gift Free WebCam - Headphones & Microphone

System Total Ex Vat:

Delivery Ex Vat:

Services:

Vat (17.5%):

Grand Total Inc Vat:

£1,802.00

£ 0.00

£ 0.00

£ 315.35

£2,117.35

What do reckon worth it or they scamming me

AHHHHH iam hanging over the check out button

Computer Case Antec P183 - Silent

Memory Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) XMS3 1600MHz - Lifetime Warranty (DDR3)

Networking Edimax Wireless LAN 150Mbps (PCI)

Power Supply Corsair 850W (CMPSU-850TXUK)

Hard Drive #1 OCZ Vertex SATA-II 120 GB Solid State HDD - Silent

Optical Drive #1 Samsung (SH-D162D) 16x DVD-ROM Black (IDE)

Keyboard Logitech Deluxe 250 Keyboard (USB)

Mouse Logitech RX250 Optical Mouse (USB)

Speakers Logitech 2.0 S-120 Black Speakers

Free Gift Free WebCam - Headphones & Microphone

System Total Ex Vat:

Delivery Ex Vat:

Services:

Vat (17.5%):

Grand Total Inc Vat:

£1,802.00

£ 0.00

£ 0.00

£ 315.35

£2,117.35

What do reckon worth it or they scamming me

Nah it's a fair price although I would go with a slightly larger monitor tbh (25-26").

Also, I'd go with a Corsair H50 for cooling (if you plan on OCing) and a Vertex 2 SSD (as the controller is better).

id need a bigger desk :p

edit yeah did wonder about sound card. Mouse and keyboard not really bothered about i mean they wont cause problems the ones ive selected?

But you think dedicated sound card is a must?

Iam getting tight now lol

I can only select from to options sound card wise now

Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional 7.1 (PCI-E)

or

Creative X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champion 7.1 (PCI-E)

another £100+ thow eww

Yeah guess the speakers are abit cheap :D

Edited by muttly

id need a bigger desk :p

Ok, been looking over it a little more and I'd suggest a dedicated soundcard (such as the Auzentech Forte) and a better mouse and keyboard such as the Logitech G15 or G19 and the G5, G9 or G9x.

Also, do you game with headphones as those speakers are a little on the cheap side.

I notice the difference between dedicated soundcard and onboard sound tbh, but some people will swear there isn't one. There is nothing wrong with the mouse and keyboard you selected, I just lean towards mice and keyboards that are geared towards gaming. In games like ArmA 2, the extra buttons do come in handy.

The Titanium Pro is good enough.

Edited by BangTail

Hello, I have been playing ArmA 2 for a while now. I have noticed that the more mods I add to the game, the more stress and suppression is put onto my gfx card and cpu. So I finally saved up enough money for an ASUS GTX 480, and I was wondering if anybody has got higher frames per seconds in bigger battles with this card. Perhaps in perspective of a AMD Phenom cpu??? And since the first release of the game till the last update. FPS have incremented over time, so I could imagine that since my old 9800gtx+ is able to give me 30fps whenever there isn't anything going on. Maybe a better card could give more like 100 or a little less.

[My Current System Specs]

Nvidia 9800gtx+ 256 mb

8 GB DDR2 Corsair memory

AMD Phenom ii x4 965 BE @3.4 ghz

[3] 23 cm fans

[2] 12inch fans

ASUS Motherboard "Not really off the top of my head"

[s-7] -Raven is online now Report Post

-Raven;1756681']Hello' date=' I have been playing ArmA 2 for a while now. I have noticed that the more mods I add to the game, the more stress and suppression is put onto my gfx card and cpu. So I finally saved up enough money for an ASUS GTX 480, and I was wondering if anybody has got higher frames per seconds in bigger battles with this card. Perhaps in perspective of a AMD Phenom cpu??? And since the first release of the game till the last update. FPS have incremented over time, so I could imagine that since my old 9800gtx+ is able to give me 30fps whenever there isn't anything going on. Maybe a better card could give more like 100 or a little less.

[My Current System Specs']

Nvidia 9800gtx+ 256 mb

8 GB DDR2 Corsair memory

AMD Phenom ii x4 965 BE @3.4 ghz

[3] 23 cm fans

[2] 12inch fans

ASUS Motherboard "Not really off the top of my head"

[s-7] -Raven is online now Report Post

Big battles = lower FPS because there is more AI at work.

The 480 will increase your FPS BUT when there is a lot of AI involved (AKA big battles) the problem is more of a CPU one than a GPU one.

I'd definitely buy the 480 but 100 FPS in AI intensive situations is probably a little hopeful at this point (using any decent resolution/eye candy settings). That's not to say you won't get totally acceptable FPS in the meantime :)

Big battles = lower FPS because there is more AI at work.

The 480 will increase your FPS BUT when there is a lot of AI involved (AKA big battles) the problem is more of a CPU one than a GPU one.

I'd definitely buy the 480 but 100 FPS in AI intensive situations is probably a little hopeful at this point (using any decent resolution/eye candy settings). That's not to say you won't get totally acceptable AI in the meantime :)

Yes, I have recently done benchmarks concerning distance between AI. It seems that when activated sound mods such as ACE or HiFi are in play, when the AI is all together firing at each other. The CPU cannot process all of the sounds shooting at once in a small location, however if you spread out the players in distances. Less sound is made, and less CPU is being used up. Another scenario is that these AI enhancements from ACE and SLX etc... can actually cause CPU lag. The reason I say so, is because the AI can spot each other EASILY and will not disengage until that person is dead. Basically saying, the amount of AI times the amount of bullets fired is insurmountable. It's wild to think one's computer could run a game as futuristic as this.

-Raven;1756688'] It's wild to think one's computer could run a game as futuristic as this.

True and it will only get better :)

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

but as for the gtx 480 my younger brother has one and while it a tad faster in most games my 5870 is noticeably faster in arma 2. also his gpu fan goes NUTS when he plays arma 2.

No such problems here and I tested pretty extensively. The 480 beat the 5870 (even Sapphire's Oc'd 5870s) across the board. Objectively, the 480 is ~6 months newer than the 5870 so that's not really surprising.

Edited by BangTail

Ok, been looking over it a little more and I'd suggest a dedicated soundcard (such as the Auzentech Forte) and a better mouse and keyboard such as the Logitech G15 or G19 and the G5, G9 or G9x.

Also, do you game with headphones as those speakers are a little on the cheap side.

I notice the difference between dedicated soundcard and onboard sound tbh, but some people will swear there isn't one. There is nothing wrong with the mouse and keyboard you selected, I just lean towards mice and keyboards that are geared towards gaming. In games like ArmA 2, the extra buttons do come in handy.

The Titanium Pro is good enough.

With those speakers the onboard will be fine. Onboard is not as crappy as it used to be. When using a big-ass headphone I'd get a good soundcard as well.

With those speakers the onboard will be fine. Onboard is not as crappy as it used to be. When using a big-ass headphone I'd get a good soundcard as well.

Onboard != dedicated in my experience. However, with those speakers, there probably isn't much (if anything) between them :)

Onboard is way better than it once was, I'll definitely concede that.

Edited by BangTail

Is the radeon HD 5770 a good graphics card for arma 2?

I'd spend 20 euro's more and get a gtx460.

In the future I want to be changing graphics cards bit what do I need to know before I buy like knowing if it will work with my CPU or if it'll fit in the tower etc. Plz respond

If your motherboard has a pci-e x16 (and every motherboard that's not ancient has that) slot you can put in any pci-e gpu and it should work. The most important thing with picking a new gpu is making sure the psu is powerfull enough to handle it, if your psu can deliver about 30A on the +12V line you should have enough to power all but the most expensive and powerhungry gpu's.

If the card doesn't fit in the tower (very unlikely, but not impossible) you can easily get a new one, they're quite inexpensive if you don't care much for looks, noise reduction or build quality. Or you could get an angle grinder and make it fit :)

I just got a new GTX460, then realized it requires two extra power inputs, I have none now

Any thought? get new power units?