Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

It has been done thanks for your help guys i dont have clue about pc's last time i paid roughly the same amount for a q6600 with 8800gt sli hahah few years ago now such a scam dell

Fuck it the old man goin do his nut instead sorting my life out i transfer money for new pc and 5k for runaway trip to thailand :D

jack daniels is a wonderful thing:rolleyes:

You only live once :)

Indeed:D

Hope dont have problems i know i will there's always some thing after frying 1 of my 8800gt 's even in low settings i new the game was demanding.

So upgraded to gtx295 and even then all i can do play in low settings.and i started getting really wierd graphic bugs like you have nt installed driver properly.

But i used driver sweeper ect and done it all properly but still happened my temps are 50-75c on the gpu and cpu cores get not hotter than 45c so duno whats goin on any way new pc :yay:

any tips for when i get it i read i have to turn off hyperthreading in bios and do few other things any input now would be great.

Save me fucking around in forums for few hours wondering way my new rig cant run arma2

Hope dont have problems i know i will there's always some thing after frying 1 of my 8800gt 's even in low settings i new the game was demanding.

So upgraded to gtx295 and even then all i can do play in low settings.and i started getting really wierd graphic bugs like you have nt installed driver properly.

But i used driver sweeper ect and done it all properly but still happened my temps are 50-75c on the gpu and cpu cores get not hotter than 45c so duno whats goin on any way new pc :yay:

any tips for when i get it i read i have to turn off hyperthreading in bios and do few other things any input now would be great.

Save me fucking around in forums for few hours wondering way my new rig cant run arma2

I no longer need to use cpucount so I assume they have addressed the problem concerning HT. Many people here will suggest that you switch it off, and if all you are doing is gaming, then that's fair enough although why you would buy an HT processor only to switch off the HT is a little baffling to me. I have posted articles in the past that show HT does actually help in some games (GTA IV for example) but there are also examples of it being slightly slower in some situations (mostly with older games that were written before the advent of Multi core CPUs)

The GTX 295 was a problematic card from the off (and not just where A2 was concerned) as was the 9800GX2 before it.

I avoid those 'multi GPU' cards at all costs now whether they be ATI or Nvidia.

Edited by BangTail

I doubt you'll have issues but if you do have heavy stutter, turning off hyperthreading is something you can try, or adding -cpucount=4 to the arma shortcut so you can still use the hyperthreading in other programs.

Edited by Leon86

Yeah see i noticed with new driver in nivida control panel i cant turn off physx i only get option to dedicate it to 1 gpu or cpu or auto detect i did nt have problems with driver before so duno if thats got some thing to do with it.

Also the fact i cant run it in sli with xp seems like i wasted my money.

ive seen vids with guys with i5's and windows7 gtx295 and the game looks awesome.

i cant get any where near that i mean to see ama2 with no texture popups and no blocky trees ect gonna be so sweet

iam not even pushing it either i play 1500 view distance every thing low med

if i do bump it up then the fps is a killer

I cant wait for opticalsnares blastcore addon he s got that spot on check out page124 of his addon :)

anyways i might be babbling on abit here :p

Yeah see i noticed with new driver in nivida control panel i cant turn off physx i only get option to dedicate it to 1 gpu or cpu or auto detect i did nt have problems with driver before so duno if thats got some thing to do with it.

Also the fact i cant run it in sli with xp seems like i wasted my money.

PhysX isn't utilized unless it is called, it is NOT part of the GPU driver, it is entirely separate.

hey bantail is there any thing i need to know when i install arma 2 on windows 7 just read this from forums where iam the buying pc.

With regards to compatible software Colin had installed a program which was designed for XP and not Windows 7. This was causing Windows to get stuck in a reboot loop. We removed the program via remote access and the problem was solved. It's common when people get Windows 7 64 BIT for the first time that they install all the software they have from an XP or Vista system which can really mess things up.

so got me thinking obviously windows 7 was nt about when i purchased my arma 2 dvd and says on the box only for vista/xp.

Last thing i want to do is install arma 2 on the first day i get my pc and get the problems mentioned above.

cheers

that computer is definitely a piece of junk.

just joking:) but I wouldn't recommend any overclocking though...

I'm thinking about getting a new motherboard and CPU for this computer. http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6634283&Sku=SYX-1053 and that comp has a 775 socket. Should I get a new motherboard with a new socket or does it not really matter. I was thinking about getting this http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6490786&Sku=B69-4369.

-Ziggy-;1760391']the rig as described has a Asus RoG board and liquid cooling.

If he has the know how' date=' why would you not overclock? :rofl:[/quote']

I love marketing :) it really works!

I'm thinking about getting a new motherboard and CPU for this computer. http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6634283&Sku=SYX-1053 and that comp has a 775 socket. Should I get a new motherboard with a new socket or does it not really matter. I was thinking about getting this http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6490786&Sku=B69-4369.

Why don't you buy a faster computer to begin with? Also, you said you were going to upgrade pretty much everything, that means you'd better just build your own to begin with, saves you money as well. Also, if you upgrade your motherboard you cannot use that windows installation anymore, an oem windows licence will only want to work on one type of motherboard once it's activated, so you'll have to buy windows again as well.

Buying a new system with a s775 motherboard is a bad idea because you can't upgrade the processor for something new, because socket 775 processors have gone out of production.

You can build a faster system with an am3 socket, you can get a processor as cheap as $35 for it and still be able to upgrade to a PhenomII six-core without changing the mobo. Why are you still wanting to buy that piece-of-crap pc??

that computer is definitely a piece of junk.

just joking:) but I wouldn't recommend any overclocking though...

If you are referring to Muttly's machine, you are talking absolute nonsense.

Edited by BangTail

I'm not saying that machine is not fit for overcloking as it's obviously advertised to be good for it.

Cons:

-Stresses all piece of hardware connected to the motherboard thus significantly reducing hardware's life

-Highly prone to error and instability.

Pros:

-Increase in performance

-Having a good reason to make frequent and expensive hardware upgrades.

I'm not saying that machine is not fit for overcloking as it's obviously advertised to be good for it.

Cons:

-Stresses all piece of hardware connected to the motherboard thus significantly reducing hardware's life

Pros:

-Increase in performance

OCing is fine with the right components and the requisite knowledge. I would only ever counsel against it if you didn't have the necessary experience.

One buys things like the Corsair H50 to mitigate the stress of overclocking so there is no real danger of drastically reducing the life of components provided they are kept within nominal parameters.

Edited by BangTail

Cons:

Pros:

-Increase in performance

It does not stress all pieces of hardware connected to the motherboard, only the cpu and the motherboard itself, but the board is engineered to be able to cope with that. Decreasing the lifespan of the processor from 20 to 15 years is not something I worry about.

Stability is something you can test quite easily with occt/memtest/prime95/orthos or some other stresstesting tool.

The company where he bought his machine does the overclock, it would be pretty stupid if they didn't test it and they'll still give him the warrany if something breaks, so why not?

and that's where the marketing's doing its magic :)

ocing is not an exact science. it works by trial and error but if something goes wrong it's YOUR fault.

if it's your "passion" then ok..anyway you'll spend your money on it. that's why I don' recommend it if you just want a stable/reliable powerful machine.

EDIT

for the stock OC it's ok...based on experience your hardware will probably last until the warranty expires :D

---------- Post added at 17:32 ---------- Previous post was at 17:25 ----------

It's just like tuning a car...YOU WILL WEAR your material faster and being a mechanic won't be enough, you will need to have your own garage to do the maintenance...

Edited by 50.cal

and that's where the marketing's doing its magic :)

ocing is not an exact science. it works by trial and error but if something goes wrong it's YOUR fault.

if it's your "passion" then ok..anyway you'll spend your money on it. that's why I don' recommend it if you just want a stable/reliable powerful machine.

EDIT

for the stock OC it's ok...based on experience it will probably make it for the warranty period :D

What are you on about?

OCing breeds instability by design but as I said before, if you know what you are doing and keep things within reasonable limits, you aren't going to have problems.

I'm not sure what the point of any of your comments thus far has been. Enthusiasts buy high end gear and more often than not, they engage in some level of overclocking.

I dont really put much stock in what 'you'd recommend' tbh, I've been running overclocks for years with no problems whatsoever and so have many, many others. I've BT'd machines for over 72 hours (some people test successfully for far longer than this JFYI) with heavy overclocks and not one issue with reliabilty or stability and this under the most stressful conditions that PC hardware can be subjected to.

For people without the requisite experience, I'd stay far away from OCing but that's only because a mistake could cost you a lot of money. For experienced users, it really shouldn't cause any problems.

Edited by BangTail

yeah, if you push it too hard you could break stuff eventually. They'll probably clock it to a "safe" 4 Ghz. If you do this on the cheapest board available maybe you'll break the voltage regulators on the motherboard (less of them=cheaper board), but on a rampage III extreme they shoun't even warm up that much because there's so many of them spreading the load.

no way the overclock is going to cause problems.

I dont really put much stock in what 'you'd recommend' tbh,

tbh I would listen to you when it comes to choose high end hardware since you seem to be upgrading it at least 3 times a year.

Edited by 50.cal

tbh I would listen to you when it comes to choose high end hardware since you seem to be upgrading it pretty much every month.

I appreciate that comment :)

I appreciate that comment :)

excellent cause I'm not planning waste more time arguing on this :)