Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

How might this run arma 2?

New system i'm thinking of putting together.

Intel Core i7 950

Asus Rampage 3 Gene

Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.B

Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D

OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II 2.5" SSD 60GB

Western Digital Caviar GreenPower WD20EARS, 2TB

Cooler Master HAF 922

Cooler Master Silent Pro M850

EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SuperClocked 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E X2

Samsung Synmaster p2470h

Also posted this in Offtopic.

shoud run fine, as you would expect on such a high-end system.

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

How well can the Asus G73JH with the Intel Core i5-450M run ARMA 2? I know the i7 version with 8 GB of ram will do it well, but I'm not sure about the i5 processor.

Specs:

Intel Core i5-450M 2.4 GHz

4 GB DDR3 SDRAM - 1333 MHz

1 GB GDDR5 SDRAM Ati Mobility HD 5870

The i5 is a dualcore and the i7 a quad. Still, an i series dualcore is well within system requirements, and it'll run the game well if you dont go beserk with settings. In missions with massive ammounts of ai the i7 would perform better.

@lordhoursnl - ive pretty much got the same system as u except i use 1x 5970. ull be able to play it sweet. put win 7 and arma on the ssd and that will use up just under 50gigs. make sure u overclock that processor to at least 4.2 which is piss easy with the 950. ull notice so much difference goin from 3ghz to 4.

@papadon - like i was sayin, if u wanna make the most of it u need a 4ghz processor. ull still be able to play it well but ull have to use medium graphics settings. some things u could put on high, but the game really looks amazing when everything is on vhigh and runs smooth. remember that view distance is a killer

How might this run arma 2?

New system i'm thinking of putting together.

Intel Core i7 950

Asus Rampage 3 Gene

Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.B

Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D

OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II 2.5" SSD 60GB

Western Digital Caviar GreenPower WD20EARS, 2TB

Cooler Master HAF 922

Cooler Master Silent Pro M850

EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SuperClocked 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E X2

Samsung Synmaster p2470h

Also posted this in Offtopic.

Advise, don't buy the OCZ SSD, look at this baby for the same price - 64GB Crucial C300 6GB/s. If you don't have sata 3 on your MB you can buy an addon card.

Advise, don't buy the OCZ SSD, look at this baby for the same price - 64GB Crucial C300 6GB/s. If you don't have sata 3 on your MB you can buy an addon card.

sata 3 is backward compatible with sata 2 if I'm not mistaken.

Hi,

I discovered, that with processor load about 30% (six core Phenom II 1055T) and GPU (GTX470) load just between 40-50% on max details I have 24-25FPS and no more even if I set all on lowest details possible. All this in ArmAII.

So the result is I have great potential in hardware unused and only 25FPS. Where is the mistake? VSYNC is forced off in drivers (even when it wasnt, it was the same). I am viewing FPS with FRAPS.

What settings should I use on this machine? I have Phenom II 1055T, GTX470, 4GB DDR3 and Win7 64bit OS. I play in resolution 1920*1200. Oh and I get the latest patch of course. 1.07

Edited by Mr.Katana

sata 3 is backward compatible with sata 2 if I'm not mistaken.

True but sata3 has a higher data transfer rate.

Hi,

I discovered, that with processor load about 30% (six core Phenom II 1055T) and GPU (GTX470) load just between 40-50% on max details I have 24-25FPS and no more even if I set all on lowest details possible. All this in ArmAII.

So the result is I have great potential in hardware unused and only 25FPS. Where is the mistake? VSYNC is forced off in drivers (even when it wasnt, it was the same). I am viewing FPS with FRAPS.

What settings should I use on this machine? I have Phenom II 1055T, GTX470, 4GB DDR3 and Win7 64bit OS. I play in resolution 1920*1200. Oh and I get the latest patch of course. 1.07

If you leave the taskmanager open you can look at all the cores. One will probably be maxxed out. If you have a performance problem please post all your settings and the mission you are having the problem, otherwise we cant compare.

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 PM ----------

True but sata3 has a higher data transfer rate.

I can live with the 270 MB/s sequential of sata2. If you really want to get to 355 MB/s and dont have a motherboard with sata-600, make sure the addin card AND your motherboard have Pci-e 2.x 1x or get an addin card that uses Pci-e 4x. Otherwise the sata2 ports will still be faster.

edit: and another thing, some people are reporting major random access fuckups with sata3 (35 iops compared to 440 on sata2, hdtune random access test) due to the Marvell SE9128 sata3 controller that's not good enough to keep up with the faster ssd's. So you might want to run it on the sata2 ports anyway due to the better random acces of the sata controller.

Edited by Leon86

Seems I got skipped over :P

upgrade 4890 or 955 phenom ii for improved performance in arma 2?

I honestly don't know, with a better gpu you'd be able to run on higher resolution and postprocessing and that kind of stuff on high, but the 4890 still is a very fast gpu, you'd have to get something like an 5870 or 480 to really notice the difference. The phenom II 955 is one of the fastest am3 processors there is so I woundn't know what to upgrade to. Maybe the best upgrade is a big processor cooler and overclock if you haven't done so already.

If you leave the taskmanager open you can look at all the cores. One will probably be maxxed out. If you have a performance problem please post all your settings and the mission you are having the problem, otherwise we cant compare.

I have G15 keybord, so I am able to follow the data in real time, which is what I wrote. Overal load is about 20-30%, no core from that six which the proccessor has, is loaded over 60%, actually only two of them are loaded over 50% (50 and 53%), the others are 40 to 10%. Graphic card is working on 38% and there is also 1GB of free RAM.

I tried to lower the details

- both resolutions - 1920*1200

- view distance 3682

- AA - normal (how much is that?)

- Terrain detail - High

- Shadows - High

- Postprocess - Off

- Everything else maxxed out

- I run the game with -nosplash -cpucount=6 -exThreads=7 (more or less no difference)

So with this setting I was in mission Razor Two, in town of Elektrozavodsk in the base facing the town. I have 15-18FPS with loads I just wrote about. If I face the ocean, I have slightly more FPS - 21 to 23.

I think its not about mission, because the game acts very similar in any other situation. I never have over 25FPS. Never. I can maxx out everything and still, there is not any significant difference in components load, I have still between 15-23FPS depending on what I am facing. The only big dropdown is when I set viewdistance over 7km, then I go down to single position numbers. But even then, no component is loaded on 100%, not even single core.

Once more, I have Phenom II 1055T, GTX470, 4GB DDR3 and Win7 64bit OS. More details: I have Asus M4A89GTD PRO and newest graphic card drivers (258.96) I play original ArmAII with 1.07 patch, but it did the same thing in Operation Arrowhead demo, so I wont buy it just yet... And if the problem cant be solved, I wont buy it at all, because its not playable like this.:(

I have no problems in any other game with low loads and low fps (well actually in Mafia II happens something like that from time to time, but its not constant as in ArmAII)

Edited by Mr.Katana

I honestly don't know, with a better gpu you'd be able to run on higher resolution and postprocessing and that kind of stuff on high, but the 4890 still is a very fast gpu, you'd have to get something like an 5870 or 480 to really notice the difference. The phenom II 955 is one of the fastest am3 processors there is so I woundn't know what to upgrade to. Maybe the best upgrade is a big processor cooler and overclock if you haven't done so already.

You should probably add a bit more information on your system. While I can't really advice it as I haven't done myself (yet), if you don't have an SSD yet and depending on your current HDD setup, this might give you a better performance improvement /$ compared to a GPU or CPU upgrade.

GPU-wise, I/d suggest to wait for the upcoming release of the new AMD/ATI family supposed to arrive at the end of the year - not necessarily to get one of those but to benefit from the price drop of the "old" 5xxx family.

You should probably add a bit more information on your system. While I can't really advice it as I haven't done myself (yet), if you don't have an SSD yet and depending on your current HDD setup, this might give you a better performance improvement /$ compared to a GPU or CPU upgrade.

GPU-wise, I/d suggest to wait for the upcoming release of the new AMD/ATI family supposed to arrive at the end of the year - not necessarily to get one of those but to benefit from the price drop of the "old" 5xxx family.

An SSD will not improve in game performance (noticeably). The only possible exception being if you are coming from an older (and slower) HDD.

Even with SSDs in RAID, you will still get some texture pop up etc. If you want to alleviate this (almost) altogether, use a RAMdrive.

An SSD will improve your load times.

ATI 6xxx series arrives on October 19th JFYI.

Edited by BangTail

Is a RAMDisk the answer to texture and LOD issues, even with the latest OA betas ? I'm up to my system's max RAM (8Gb) but have another mobo which can take more. I'd hate to re-build just to find no difference and still be with a 775 based system.

I've tried SSDs and Gigabyte i-RAMs with varying success, but could raise enough money selling them to potentially increase to a 9Gb or higher RAMdisk.

The most annoying thing for me is the trees and bushes changing when I zoom with weapon scopes.

Bangtail - Why do you have 12GB of RAM? Do you do a lot of video rendering etc?

I'll have 24 pretty soon, just finalizing my SR-2/Dual Xeon setup :D

I do a lot of video/sound editing and I work with very large images in PS which is why I need a lot of RAM, it isn't for gaming.

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

Is a RAMDisk the answer to texture and LOD issues, even with the latest OA betas ? I'm up to my system's max RAM (8Gb) but have another mobo which can take more. I'd hate to re-build just to find no difference and still be with a 775 based system.

I've tried SSDs and Gigabyte i-RAMs with varying success, but could raise enough money selling them to potentially increase to a 9Gb or higher RAMdisk.

The most annoying thing for me is the trees and bushes changing when I zoom with weapon scopes.

The RAMdisk is the best solution. There is some minor popup etc but it is noticeably better than HDD/SSD in or out of RAID.

I'll have 24 pretty soon, just finalizing my SR-2/Dual Xeon setup :D

I do a lot of video/sound editing and I work with very large images in PS which is why I need a lot of RAM, it isn't for gaming.

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

The RAMdisk is the best solution. There is some minor popup etc but it is noticeably better than HDD/SSD in or out of RAID.

Sorry for offtopic....

But why you have H50 on such systems, it isnt crapy cooler, but just sticks from rest of components...

Why didnt go for nh-d14, or some watercooling kit, or Watercooling system system...

It just doesnt make sense to me:rolleyes:

Sorry for offtopic....

But why you have H50 on such systems, it isnt crapy cooler, but just sticks from rest of components...

Why didnt go for nh-d14, or some watercooling kit, or Watercooling system system...

It just doesnt make sense to me:rolleyes:

I don't like watercooling tbh, just isn't my thing and as nice as the NH-D14 is, it's very big and heavy and I prefer a cleaner, more streamlined build. I don't overclock at a level where I'm that worried about the temps (My CPUs dont go above 65c under load).

That's not to say either of them are bad, just not for me :)

Edited by BangTail

Guys...i need some input.

I wanna buy a new graficcard.

My GTX285 is very noisy and i may get rid of my ctd-only-nighttime-ingame-issue. :rolleyes:

Whatsoever.I have a Palit GTX285 with 2GB DDR3 RAM which uses 185 Watt.And iam undetermined between two models.

1. PALIT GeForce GTS 450 Sonic Platinum 1GB DDR5 RAM (106 Watt,very,very quiet)

2. PALIT GeForce GTX 460 Sonic Platinum 1GB DDR5 RAM (160 Watt,more power than the 450)

I would like to know,is the 450 a big step forward compare to the gtx285 ? A quiet card would be a nice thing also the low wattage.

But iam unsure.Maybe my old card has more power than a 450 ingame.

I would like to know,is the 450 a big step forward compare to the gtx285 ?

No, the 450 is a big step backward, the 460 has performance compareable to your 285. 460's are pretty quiet as far as I know.

Ok I'll post some more details when I get home from work, I'm keen to oc but I have zero experience and I don't know anybody who does it, so I guess I'll need to start doing some reading up, and get some extra cooling inside the rig?

I don't suffer "texture" popping but I would like to increase my fps a bit, as I have most settings on medium / low and my anti aliasing doesn't seem all that crash hot either.

Should I still go ahead and google this "ram disk"? From what I've written would I still benefit from it?

I just ordered OCZSSDPX-1RVD0120, it should arrive tomorrow.

Should i be excited? :)

Is my thinking that ArmA2/OA should benefit from it's relatively higher speeds even on my otherwise not very top notch HW(in the sig) ?

No, the 450 is a big step backward, the 460 has performance compareable to your 285. 460's are pretty quiet as far as I know.

I have a GTX470 and its a very good card and will be even better with development of drivers. A lot of 'experts' slate this card but I just don't see the huge temps that they talk about or the noise, then again I don't stress test, just play games and this card works very well.

I had a 260 before this card and the 470 blasts it, as it should, out the water.

I would have been tempted by an ATI but with game developers using CUDA and Physics X I thought that I should stick with Nvidia.

I just ordered OCZSSDPX-1RVD0120, it should arrive tomorrow.

Should i be excited? :)

Is my thinking that ArmA2/OA should benefit from it's relatively higher speeds even on my otherwise not very top notch HW(in the sig) ?

I'm not trying to 'rain on your parade' but you asked :(

I was hoping the PCI-E SSD's would be faster but having been through a few of them, they are no better than SATA SSD's (which are not really any better than a fast HDD where ArmA 2 is concerned performance wise).

As always, your load times will be significantly better and as an overall upgrade it is a good choice.

---------- Post added at 07:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 AM ----------

I have a GTX470 and its a very good card and will be even better with development of drivers. A lot of 'experts' slate this card but I just don't see the huge temps that they talk about or the noise, then again I don't stress test, just play games and this card works very well.

I had a 260 before this card and the 470 blasts it, as it should, out the water.

I would have been tempted by an ATI but with game developers using CUDA and Physics X I thought that I should stick with Nvidia.

The absolute nonsense that surrounds Fermi (much of it perpetuated by ATI shills like Demerijian) is just that, nonsense.

I've had 0 trouble with my 480s since launch day.

ATI's hardware is excellent but their drivers are lacklustre and that is the main reason I steer clear for the moment. I'll be tempted to get a couple of the new top end single GPU cards when they release but I'm going to wait and see if the Crossfire support drastically improves before I hit the 'buy' button.

Edited by BangTail

I'm not trying to 'rain on your parade' but you asked :(

I was hoping the PCI-E SSD's would be faster but having been through a few of them, they are no better than SATA SSD's (which are not really any better than a fast HDD where ArmA 2 is concerned performance wise).

As always, your load times will be significantly better and as an overall upgrade it is a good choice.

Don't worry, i am just hungry for some other ppl experiences, whatever they might be.

...if it won't help so much with ArmA, then i will use it for system partition, so no loss there.

Meanwhile on Tactical Gamer i found this interesting post Performance - SSD and Arma 2, and acording to that article it seems like ArmA should benefit from it.

Don't worry, i am just hungry for some other ppl experiences, whatever they might be.

...if it won't help so much with ArmA, then i will use it for system partition, so no loss there.

Meanwhile on Tactical Gamer i found this interesting post Performance - SSD and Arma 2, and acording to that article it seems like ArmA should benefit from it.

The only thing I can say about that article is that his machine is notsohotso so maybe the SSD made his box feel more responsive.

All in all, I think people like to justify the money they've spent (understandably) because I've owned many SSD's and with the exception of loading times, I really don't see much of a difference between SSDs and fast HDDs when it comes to ArmA 2.

SSDs excel in some areas but gaming just isn't one of them. As an overall system upgrade, they are one of the best things you can buy, but as a performance enhancement for gaming, they are a secondary consideration.

I'm editing using the Unsung Vietnam mod and I'm still getting pop up etc with 2 x OCZ Agiltiy 2's in RAID0. It's not bad but then again, these drives cost $700.00 each and $1400.00 is more than some people spend on their whole PC.

Cheers :)

Edited by BangTail