Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

A whole lot of people have it in case you haven't noticed.

All I know is the official release date is the 29th so even if you have procured a legit copy, I wouldn't brag about it on here as that poster has left us permanently by the looks of things.

First off: Pirating is not cool. Period.

Those who have 'legit' copies are contained in a very small area. If you have a copy now, you can't use it because it won't be activated until June 29th. So if you're playing it now, you're either a small core group of people or one of the warezers.

As you may have guessed, we do not take too kindly to those using warez. In addition, discussion of it is frowned upon and this is especially true for a system hardware thread. Let's keep it on topic, please.

First off: Pirating is not cool. Period.

Those who have 'legit' copies are contained in a very small area. If you have a copy now, you can't use it because it won't be activated until June 29th. So if you're playing it now, you're either a small core group of people or one of the warezers.

As you may have guessed, we do not take too kindly to those using warez. In addition, discussion of it is frowned upon and this is especially true for a system hardware thread. Let's keep it on topic, please.

Done deal mate :)

I'm guessing that my computer isn't going to be anywhere enough to run OA, but I figured that I might as well check in and make sure.

Baseline Computer/Case: Inspiron 530

CPU: Pentium Dual Core E5200 @ 2.50 Ghz non-overclocked

RAM: 3.0 GB

GPU: Geforce 9400 GT w/ 1GB memory

Power Supply: Unknown/Standard

Cooling systems: Unknown/Standard

If anyone could give me a basic idea of what need to do to make my computer capable of playing Arma2/Arma2:OA at 1280x1024 on medium to low settings with 20-30 fps that'd be awesome.

I've been looking on the internet for an upgrade (Radeon 4850HD) when I noticed that one cost over a hundred pounds, and another was half that. Are they the same card, or is one inferior?

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/9388342/Gigabyte-GV-R485MC-1GI-ATI-Radeon-HD-4850-1GB-DDR3-PCI-Express-2-0-Passive-Graphics-Card/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518%7Ccc:%7Cprd:9388342%7Ccat:Components - The dearer one.

http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?origin=gbase25.7&prodID=B209984 - The cheaper one.

If you can get such a cpu (probably secondhand) for about 120 euro's it would be a nice upgrade. Intel doesn't make them anymore so they're more expensive new as they used to be. You can also overclock your current cpu. I used to run my 6750 at 3.2 on a vcore below stock, was cooler overclocked than stock. You can go up to 3.6 with a good cooler.

Yes in a heartbeat. I went from a q6600 (oc'd to 3.4) to a q9550 (oc'd to 3.8) to my now i7930 (oc'd to 3.5) and the q9550 only laggs behind by about 10 fps on average. So yes it is a good upgrade choice if you dont want to do the full upgrade to i5/i7. I would also reccommend upgrading your card to an ati 5870 or nvidia 480 with the money saved and your good to go.

Thank you both for your replies - I really appreciate it.

I have decided to upgrade to the q9550, as it seems to be the best solution and upgrade, considering that I don't want to do the full ugrade to the new Intel series.

I'll have to skip the GPU upgrade though, my 9800 is still running fine and dandy, and quite honestly, I can't afford getting a new GPU -and- CPU. :)

Cheers, for the help.

I'll tell ye how ArmA2 performs with the q9550, if you're interested. Once I have it, that is.

Edited by Elric de Melnibone

I've been looking on the internet for an upgrade (Radeon 4850HD) when I noticed that one cost over a hundred pounds, and another was half that. Are they the same card, or is one inferior?

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/9388342/Gigabyte-GV-R485MC-1GI-ATI-Radeon-HD-4850-1GB-DDR3-PCI-Express-2-0-Passive-Graphics-Card/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518%7Ccc:%7Cprd:9388342%7Ccat:Components - The dearer one.

http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?origin=gbase25.7&prodID=B209984 - The cheaper one.

They should perform exactly the same. Look here to see how the 4850's stack up to other chips.

edit: second card is an awesome deal btw. If you have a motherboard with good crossfire support (basically means 2 x8 or 2x16 Pci-e) I'd get 2 right away and put them in crossfire.

Edited by Leon86

Haylo there.

Before i will buy ArmA2 i want to know how well will this PC run this on latest patches.

Procesor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 ghz

Graphix card: ATI Radeon HD2600XT 256 ram

Ram: 3gb

And what would be more likely to run smoother: OA or basic Arma2?

The requirements on Steam say that you need :

Processor: Intel Core i5 or AMD Athlon Phenom X4 or faster

Memory: 2GB

Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 or ATI Radeon HD 5770 or faster with Shader Model 3 and 896 MB VRAM

DirectX®: DirectX 9.0c

Hard Drive: 10 GB free space

Sound: Standard

So I'm wondering if these are the minimum or the recommended requirements for Operation Arrowhead?

I run ARMA 2 on high settings with my

Quad Core 2.5 GHZ processor

Geforce 9800 GX2 1 GB video card

4GB of ram

Edited by WisemanRAX

Well, my current card is a GeForce 6800, so getting a pair of those 4850HD's seems like amazing value for money. How do I know if my PC has crossfire support?

even a single 4850 will be a massive improvement but I doubt your pc can properly run crossfire, if it's the same age as that card. Does it even have a single Pci-e x16 port or is it agp? If you only have AGP it's time bo buy a new system :)

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 or ATI Radeon HD 5770 or faster with Shader Model 3 and 896 MB VRAM

So I'm wondering if these are the minimum or the recommended requirements for Operation Arrowhead?

4GB of ram

From the operation arrowhead site:

Minimal system requirements:

Windows XP or newer

Dual Core CPU

256 MB RAM & Pixel Shader 3.0 or better

DirectX 9.0c or newer

9 GB free HDD space

so the steam would be recommended I guess.

I am in need of replacing my CPU pretty bad. As of now it is a Pentium D CPU, quite ancient lol. It runs ArmA 2 at playable FPS, but I'll be lucky to get over 27 FPS on Chernarus, and slightly better on user islands (ie: Duala or desert environments).

I have been looking at cheap Quad Core CPUs and want to stay below $200 until I can afford an i7 CPU next year when I update everything on my PC. Is this CPU going to give a substantial increase to my FPS?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115057&cm_re=Intel_Core_2_quad-_-19-115-057-_-Product

I know it's better than my current CPU, but if anyone knows of any other Quad Cores under $200 could you please link them?

Thanks.

Yeah, it was AGP. Stupid old systems...At any rate, I know what I'm upgrading to. New motherboard, a ASUS P7P55D I5, a new processor, E7400 Intel Duo core, and a GeForce 9500GT, all for only £235.

4GB of ram

Those are the recommended specifications

These are the minimum requirements:

Operating System: Windows XP or Windows Vista or Windows 7

Processor: Dual Core Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz / Intel Core 2.0 GHz / AMD Athlon 3200+ or faster

Memory: 1 GB

Hard Drive: 10 GB free HD space

Video Card (graphics): NVIDIA GeForce 7800 / ATI Radeon 1800 with Shader Model 3 and 256 MB VRAM or faster

Internet or LAN connection required for multiplayer

I think this was the 8400Gs - Nope it won't run the game smooth @ 1280x1024. Get a used 4850/4870 of ebay for ~60€ if you won't spend. BUt be sure for ArmA 2 you need a powerful cpu for most singleplayergames (heavy script and ai calculations). Best regards :)

Hey guys,

what do you think is the better am3 cpu for Operation Arrowhead below 200€

Is it Phenom2 x965 quad core or the x6 1055t 6 core?

My current system is:

Amd sempron 140 @ dual core 2x2,7 ghz, oc should go till 3,4 or so

geforce 8800gts 320mb

and 4gb ram

I think i should upgrade the cpu, right?!

My current system is: see Signature

1680x1050

all max settings

= 30 fps

Hey guys,

what do you think is the better am3 cpu for Operation Arrowhead below 200€

Is it Phenom2 x965 quad core or the x6 1055t 6 core?

My current system is:

Amd sempron 140 @ dual core 2x2,7 ghz, oc should go till 3,4 or so

geforce 8800gts 320mb

and 4gb ram

I think i should upgrade the cpu, right?!

I'd get a new video card with that. Maybe an Ati 5770 1gb. They're cheap!

Processor:AMD Phenomâ„¢II X4 945 Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technolog

Mobo: GigaByte AMD 770

Graphics:BFG 9800GT 1GB DDR3

RAM:4GB DDR3/1600MHz

I know it will work, but I wanna know if anyone can guess or tell me exactly what settings I will be able to run ArmA2/OA

Processor:AMD Phenomâ„¢II X4 945 Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technolog

Mobo: GigaByte AMD 770

Graphics:BFG 9800GT 1GB DDR3

RAM:4GB DDR3/1600MHz

I know it will work, but I wanna know if anyone can guess or tell me exactly what settings I will be able to run ArmA2/OA

I have the same processor and motherboard, but I'm running an ATI HD4890 and 4GB DDR2 RAM on Windows 7 and Operation Arrowhead runs smooth on high settings, 3k draw distance, and 1920x1080 resolution.

I think you'll be good to go. Your bottleneck will be your graphics card, but I really don't seeing it hamstringing you.

I have the same processor and motherboard, but I'm running an ATI HD4890 and 4GB DDR2 RAM on Windows 7 and Operation Arrowhead runs smooth on high settings, 3k draw distance, and 1920x1080 resolution.

I think you'll be good to go. Your bottleneck will be your graphics card, but I really don't seeing it hamstringing you.

Thanks mate. I had a choice for the same Graphics Card you have at the moment but 9800 was cheaper with my build. Thanks for the help though.

Ok so I tried running the Arma 2 Demo with my current computer which is

GPU: Nvidia 9400 1GB DDR2

CPU: Dual Core Intel E5200 @ 2.5ghz

RAM: 3 GB

Power Supply: 350 watts

and was able to run it at around 18-20 FPS on the benchmark level on lowest possible settings, any ideas on how to get an extra ten to twenty fps out of this system for around $20-$50?

and was able to run it at around 18-20 FPS on the benchmark level on lowest possible settings, any ideas on how to get an extra ten to twenty fps out of this system for around $20-$50?

Buying retail ArmA2 and patching to 1.07 would do that for you as the demo is veeeeeeeeeeeeery old code (if you're wary try waiting for the OA demo which shouldn't be too long and will be a much better indicator than the ArmA2 one)

Ok so I tried running the Arma 2 Demo with my current computer which is

GPU: Nvidia 9400 1GB DDR2

CPU: Dual Core Intel E5200 @ 2.5ghz

RAM: 3 GB

Power Supply: 350 watts

You'd be lucky to pick up an extra 1fps for that budget.

If you bought a newer graphics cards you could turn some of the settings up.

It should be noted however that this is not a game like Unreal, those sort of high frame rates you might be used to in other titles are simply not achieveable with this one, no matter how much you spend on hardware.