Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Hello everyone , can i run arma:CO with AMD X6 FX-6300 3.5GHz , 3,3GB ram and Geforce GTS450 grafic card , WindowsXP 32bit higher then Low/medium settings?

Welcome to the forum, I'm pretty new myself..:)

CPU should run it fine, but the gpu (GTS450) might struggle, even on lower settings. The cpu might however help that out as alot of this game is cpu heavy. Can't give an exact opinion of yes or no, because your sort of on the borderline. My A2 pc is too, but it runs fine on high settings, there again I have a reasonably good card, its just down to the machine, what you have running in the background and how much you have on it. I have a gaming pc, so there is not much on there except the game and whats needed to run it. If you already have the machine, then buying the game or trying the free version is well worth it. If your thinking of buying the machine, I would do more research before parting with your money, if its a clean machine, i.e. nothing on it other than the OS, then you should be o.k. If its a second hand machine, being offered with all sorts of MS addons, I wouldn't bother..

Welcome to the forum, I'm pretty new myself..:)

CPU should run it fine, but the gpu (GTS450) might struggle, even on lower settings. The cpu might however help that out as alot of this game is cpu heavy. Can't give an exact opinion of yes or no, because your sort of on the borderline. My A2 pc is too, but it runs fine on high settings, there again I have a reasonably good card, its just down to the machine, what you have running in the background and how much you have on it. I have a gaming pc, so there is not much on there except the game and whats needed to run it. If you already have the machine, then buying the game or trying the free version is well worth it. If your thinking of buying the machine, I would do more research before parting with your money, if its a clean machine, i.e. nothing on it other than the OS, then you should be o.k. If its a second hand machine, being offered with all sorts of MS addons, I wouldn't bother..

Thank you very much for your quick answer! I use mine almost just for gaming and webbrowse but do have some unneccisery programs, big games that i play not that much, taking my Pc to a computershow after 2 days to have them put my new X6 CPU in and im going to have them put my operating system back so i get the Pc really clean. Im upgrading my Pc little by little each month, upgrading from X2 CPU to X6 and then again thinking about upgrading my GPU also, if you dont mind do you think Gigabyte GT 640OC PCI-E3.0 2GB DDR3 HDMI GPU is good enough to run it well ? Maybe you could reccomend me with something that fits and is not too expensive?

Thank you very much for your quick answer! I use mine almost just for gaming and webbrowse but do have some unneccisery programs, big games that i play not that much, taking my Pc to a computershow after 2 days to have them put my new X6 CPU in and im going to have them put my operating system back so i get the Pc really clean. Im upgrading my Pc little by little each month, upgrading from X2 CPU to X6 and then again thinking about upgrading my GPU also, if you dont mind do you think Gigabyte GT 640OC PCI-E3.0 2GB DDR3 HDMI GPU is good enough to run it well ? Maybe you could reccomend me with something that fits and is not too expensive?

While your at the pc show, ask regards a better card to run heavier games. The GT 640OC 2GB is close in performance to the other card you have, slightly better, but still very close.

Use this to compare, but ask at the show then compare on there and other gpu compare sites to see results.

There may be someone on here with a similar set-up that can give better advice, but ask at the show what the retailers think, don't let anyone convince you to buy at the show, unless your really sure, just ask and then compare on-line at home before purchasing anything..

While your at the pc show, ask regards a better card to run heavier games. The GT 640OC 2GB is close in performance to the other card you have, slightly better, but still very close.

Use this to compare, but ask at the show then compare on there and other gpu compare sites to see results.

There may be someone on here with a similar set-up that can give better advice, but ask at the show what the retailers think, don't let anyone convince you to buy at the show, unless your really sure, just ask and then compare on-line at home before purchasing anything..

I will, i let you know, i checked out the website url that you gave me and compared the GPU that i have now to Radeon HD 7770 and it shows very good results compared to mine, thinking about asking about that when i go to the shop, thanx for the advise and i let you know how it goes.

Good choice, the HD 7770 has very nice value for the money. You'll be able to game at 1080p on low to medium settings just fine.

Actually the Radeon 7850 offers even better value for money as it can be easily overclocked to 7870 speeds and beyond.

If your budget can stretch the extra, I'd definitely recommend it over the 7770.

Actually the Radeon 7850 offers even better value for money as it can be easily overclocked to 7870 speeds and beyond.

If your budget can stretch the extra, I'd definitely recommend it over the 7770.

Thank you and you KuaLus, im thinking about saving up for the R 7850, probably gonna go with the GTS450 for ca. 2 months while i save up for the new one since its not that bad, has served me well last 2 years.

if you dont mind, i saw from youtube videos that you can change your view distance ( how far you can see enimy/objekts etc.) , what settings do you have or just people in general? What is enough to see what you need to see?

if you dont mind, i saw from youtube videos that you can change your view distance ( how far you can see enimy/objekts etc.) , what settings do you have or just people in general? What is enough to see what you need to see?

depends on what you're doing, if you're playing infantry with an assault rifle you really dont need more than a few k, if you're flying you'll want more.

when I was still running a core2duo I turned it down, now my cpu is fast enough to keep it high, also arma has had some performance tweaks in patches.

Edited by Leon86

depends on what you're doing, if you're playing infantry with an assault rifle you really dont need more than a few k, if you're flying you'll want more.

This. Though once you start playing islands like Lingor at 4000+, it's so immersive that even as infantry, it's hard to go back to anything less :)

I use mainly 2000 on the ground, more if it’s a very open terrain, but 2000 is usually more than enough, city fighting take it down to 1000 if need be. Regards in the air, as much as you can usually, if your high enough you can max it out. I run 7000 in the air if there is any combat going on, or if I’m sightseeing I will set it to 10000.

One of the nicest ways to sightsee is flying around in a ‘Mozzie’, it’s a great little thing for setting your missions up if you need to test anything, especially watching how ai deal with certain area’s.

Question: based on the data below and my current system specs, can I conclude that I need to look at my GPU as bottleneck for Arma 2 (or best part to upgrade for now)?

I measured the followingin with the build in benchmark scenarios from Arma 2. Measurements done with Task Manager in Windows 7 and the Ati Overdrive program for GPU usage (in reality my FPS is usally around 20 or lower, with bigger missions and custom islands):

Arma 2 scenario: Benchmark 1 (regular situations)

CPU load: 50% ~ 65%

GPU load: 99%

FPS average: 29

Arma 2 scenario: Benchmark 2 (crazy heavy firefight)

CPU load: 50% ~ 60%

GPU load: 25% ~ 40%

FPS average: 12

Arma 2 scenario: E08 Benchmark (regular situations)

CPU load: 45% ~ 65%

GPU load: 99%

FPS average: 29

System:

Processor

AMD Phenom II x4 3.2Ghz (955BE)

Mainboard

MSI 790GX-G65

AMD® 790GX+SB750 chipset

DDR3-1333Mhz (nu 4GB)

Current GPU

ATI HD4890 1GB

OS

Windows 7 64bit

The question is: based on the data above and my current system specs, can I conclude that I need to look at my GPU as bottleneck for Arma 2?

I'd say you're pretty well balanced, in a city you'll be cpu limited, in more open places you'll be gpu limited.

but you'll definately notice a gpu upgrade, should improve average fps, just not minimum fps in cities.

I'd say get a new card asap. As for citys well... depends on his settings. More CPUhz is better

My spec with <15 fps:

GPU: GTX690 4096MB

CPU: I7 3.4ghz

When I bought my pc I expected much more fps than <15 fps. Any idea why my fps is low while friend who have lower specs run it on 30-40+fps?

Edited by Longrop

If you are gaming at over 1080P, you may be hitting the FB limit (VRAM limit)

The 690 is a nice card but I never understood why Nvidia gimped it with 2GB per GPU instead of 4GB.

Other possibilities are 'Draw Distance' set too high, 'Post Processing' set too high or '3D resolution' set too high.

Some people figure when they buy a fast card, they can just max everything but that is not the case with ArmA :(

Edited by BangTail

If you are gaming at over 1080P, you may be hitting the FB limit (VRAM limit)

The 690 is a nice card but I never understood why Nvidia gimped it with 2GB instead of 4GB.

Other possibilities are 'Draw Distance' set too high, 'Post Processing' set too high or '3D resolution' set too high.

Some people figure when they buy a fast card, they can just max everything but that is not the case with ArmA :(

I have a gtx690 4096MB one, but draw 'distance', 'Post Processing' and '3D resoltution' are in Arma 2 OA settings?

Yah but that is 2GB per GPU - the VRAM does not stack.

Yes, they are in the display settings - Options --> Video Options --> Advanced

:( didn't make any diffrence.

anything with this? http://imgur.com/TeMuEUv

made it while playing arma 2

Something very wrong there, your GPUs are bottoming out frequently and they should not be.

SLI does not look like it is working properly at all.

I don't know how much it will help but that is not a current driver you are using.

Try 314.14:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=375680

Edited by BangTail

Wowser, this is a long thread, fair play to anybody who still visits it!

I'm getting a new rig, and I pretty much exclusively play Arma 2 CO, and will no doubt pretty much exclusively play Arma 3 later this year.

I need advice on the GPU, GTX Titan 6GB or GTX 690 4GB? I'm assuming (due to SLI limitations, able to use more VRAM on the GPU, etc.) that the Titan will be better, but I've read that generally the 690 is better. Has anybody got any experience of comparing the two?

Budget isn't a major consideration on this front, so it's just a straight shoot out between the two. I appreciate that something like a 680 might be 'enough', I'm really just trying to figure out the absolute best choice.

Rest of the kit will be

- CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 3.60GHz @ 4.50GHz CPU

- Motherboard: Asus X79 Sabertooth Intel X79 (Socket 2011) DDR3

- RAM: TeamGroup Elite 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel

- Cooler: Alpenfohn K2 Mount Doom

- Power: Corsair HX850 Professional Series 850W ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold

- Case: Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced

- HDD1: (OS) Corsair F240 SSD 256GB

- HDD2: (Arma) Samsung 840 Series Pro 256GB SSD

- Monitor: Samsung P2470HD (just the one)

(- The rest: 1x 3TB HDD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 750GB HDD, Samsung DVD RW, nothing that should affect this - hopefully!)

Any help with the GPU choice would be brilliant, any feedback on the rest also always handy (I've already got the case and the Corsair SSD so if those are terrible, please break it to me gently)

I would go with the Titan for the ArmA series. Off the top of my head:

- Better FPS when not GPU limited (multiplayer) in regards with SLI (minimum FPS).

- Less power consumption for the Titan, better thermals.

- SLI problems (PIP problems, maybe jerky framerate).

- Titan might have immature drivers (it might get better or it can be less stable now).

For the rest of your system I would suggest a 1440p or 1600p monitor.

Thanks man, greatly appreciated! Had a cheeky look at your PC Specs (4.8GHZ hexacore?! That's awesome!), do you split your OS and ARMA onto separate SSDs? That's my plan, just wondering if you do the same

Thanks man, greatly appreciated! Had a cheeky look at your PC Specs (4.8GHZ hexacore?! That's awesome!), do you split your OS and ARMA onto separate SSDs? That's my plan, just wondering if you do the same

I am at 4.7 GHz now, too much VCore for not much more performance and yes, separate SSDs.