Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

yes i had push it to 3.8 GHZ with watercooling but brings me only 10 fps more

i will try it with new cpu and sec. GPU ( SLI )

If anyone have good idea please tell me

Thanks for response

This game does support SLI, yep. Before you go and buy that expensive new CPU (and a 2nd GPU) - try to overclock your current one and check the performance. If there is no significant increase, you could have a bottleneck someplace else.
Hello Dear members of the Arma and the OA Forum,

i have a Question about my Hardware

I still have follow components to Play Operation Arrowhead:

Mainboard: Gigabyte P55-UD3 ( 1156 Socket )

CPU: I7 860 2.80 GHZ

RAM: Kingston 1333 8 GB ( 4 * 2GB )

Graphic: Gigabyte GTX 460 OC 1gb

I use follow Mods

• Ace for OA last version
  • WarFx Blastcore

The Arma 2 benchmark E2 in Operation Arrowhead gives me only 10 fps

The E08 Operation Arrowhead Benchmark gives me only 22 fps

I using follow Graphic Settings:

All Very High

AA is of

3D Resolution: 1920*1200

Interface Resolution: 1920*1200

Visibility: 3027

I want upgrade my System to a Intel i7 950,

Mainboard Gigabyte X58 UD3 and 2 * GTX 460 OC 1 GB

Does Support this GAME SLI ?

I have both Games OA and Arma 2

Thanks for your Help

Sorry for my English :confused:

Answers in English and German are welcome

yes i had push it to 3.8 GHZ with watercooling but brings me only 10 fps more

i will try it with new cpu and sec. GPU ( SLI )

If anyone have good idea please tell me

Thanks for response

dont do that, your new cpu will not be faster. Just play with settings or get a faster gpu.

I posted my specs a few pages back, but I recently got 2 more graphics cards, so I have a total of 3 in my PC. I habe 8GB of DDR2 ram running at I think 400Mhz(5-5-5-15). I have an AMD Phenom X4 running at stock speeds of 2.6Ghz. I am able to get 36 fps in the benchmark and I get an extremely steady fps in Zargabad. Even when playing cpu/gpu heavy missions

I play with AA and post processing off with everything else maxed. I have my view distance set to 5000.

Dude, 10 fps more is at least a ~30% increase in performance? how is that "only"?

If you want more performance, the thing that kills it in this game is the object detail and terrain detail settings. Those both on very high will kill any system. Turn them both to normal and you won't notice much difference in visuals but you will get way, way better fps. Also viewdistance should go down to ~2000.

@islakn

The pci-e controller (for the gpu) and the ddr3 controller (for the memory) are both located on the Processor, there's not much a board manufacturer can save on to slow it down. Only difference between boards is features and overclockability. Not performance.

I suggest you find out which settings have most influence on performance. If viewdistance, model detail and terrain detail have most influence you should reduce those or overclock the processor (those are processor intensive settings). If anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, postprocessing have most influence you could get a new gpu.

gtx480's are pretty fast but on 1920x1200 I think the gtx570 is better, it costs about the same. Same performance, less power consumption and more silent.

and yes, 11 fps is huge. if your average now is 30.

Edited by Leon86

Hey guys, I am really leaning towards an am3 1090T X6 from amd, I think it will do well in the future as more programs utilise 6 cores, and it can OC to over 4Ghz apparently.

Is Arma 2 capable of utilising 6 cores at all?

Hey guys, I am really leaning towards an am3 1090T X6 from amd, I think it will do well in the future as more programs utilise 6 cores, and it can OC to over 4Ghz apparently.

Is Arma 2 capable of utilising 6 cores at all?

Nope, use the search function if you want to know why.

I changed the order from 2600k to 2500k because I don´t want to wait 10 days for 2600k(its out of stock here everywhere). :)

And it seems you're not the only one, the 2500K is out of stock as well at most shops (here you can get it only for 30 euro's above normal price). One of my housemates already has his but he's waiting for the motherboard, memory and cooler.

I know, I have asked a lot of questions about making a new rig and I want to thank everyone for the help but I am having a hard tme finding DDR3 1333 or 1600 speed at 8gbs (2 x 4gbs) that says it is Compatible with Intel LGA 1155 (P67) platforms. I am lookng for something with a 7 or 8 cas number. but most do not say it is Compatible the only one i find was crucial and it was only 4gbs (2 x 2gbs) and I don't want 4 x 2gbs and have no more slots to add. This is the last thing I need to complete the system. thanks.

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

I am not saying this 100%, but as far as I know, every DDR3 is compatible with LGA1155. The only problem you can have is problem with free slots when buying RAMs with tall heatsinks and have big cooler on CPU(like for example in Noctua NH-D14 when fan is blocking 1st or maybe also 2nd RAM slot).

I know, I have asked a lot of questions about making a new rig and I want to thank everyone for the help but I am having a hard tme finding DDR3 1333 or 1600 speed at 8gbs (2 x 4gbs) that says it is Compatible with Intel LGA 1155 (P67) platforms. I am lookng for something with a 7 or 8 cas number. but most do not say it is Compatible the only one i find was crucial and it was only 4gbs (2 x 2gbs) and I don't want 4 x 2gbs and have no more slots to add. This is the last thing I need to complete the system. thanks.

Just look on the QVL of the motherboard manufacturer (although the boards are pretty new so they've not tested everything yet). cl7, 8 or 9 doesn't matter that much. Also remember 1600 cl9 has roughly the same acces time as 1333 cl7.

I've never seen ddr3 1333 have much influence on game performance, I'd just get a 1333 2x4GB kit with a couple of heatspreaders and not mind even if it's cl9. If you think it's hampering performance you can always see if they'll run faster or on lower latency's, why pay more for a "guarantied" speed you'll not notice anyway.

Remember the q6600 is roughly half the speed and it mostly used ddr2-533-cl5, double that and it would equate to ddr3-1066 cl10??(not sure if you can make such crude calculations). And it had a seperate memory controller giving even more latency.

edit: and yes, all ddr3 should be compatible, provided it's NOT SO-dimm (that's for laptops). QVL is actually tested so guarantied to work, sometimes chips have issues. Some need high voltage, (although you dont see them much anymore) that kills intel core i cpu's. Get something with 1.65V or lower, preferably 1.5.

Edited by Leon86

If 2x2GB is enough so far (i think it is), the Kingston HyperX 1333 CL7 (7-7-7-20) looks good, it supports Intel XMP

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/PartsInfo.asp?root=us&LinkBack=http://www.kingston.com&ktcpartno=KHX1333C7D3K2/4GX

You could use them until 8GB modules hit the market

Edited by Flattermann

I'd just get an 8gb kit. there are plenty. 46 hits here

remember PC3-10600 = ddr3 1333

Edited by Leon86

leon thanks again for the help. This is making me nuts. Making a game rig is like a drug you can't stop looking for hardware and you think you are going to find a better deal/thing ie a better high! lol. Thanks now are you going to help me put all this together.:eek::cool:

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

hope it works out for you. You mentioned earlier you're coming from console gaming, this rig will be probably 5(or more) times as fast.

As for assembly make sure:

1 you insert the processor first and the processor cooler after (duh!, but I've seen a pic of someone with heatpaste all over his socket).

2 the distance spacers between the case and the motherboard are installed in the case. (this goes wrong quite often, moste cases have them installed by default but some dont. Dont bolt a motherbord solid to a steel plate...)

Rest will probably only fit if in the right place. There's a difference between the cpu 8-pin an the gpu 8-pins that can be a bit confusing maybe. Most psu's have 6+2 for the gpu's and 4+4 for the cpu but you can also see by the layout or the manuals.

everything is in the manuals!, so if you're unsure just look there

I was looking for a CL7 kit, even though the difference between CL9 or CL7 does not really matter. For my part, I'll wait for 8GB modules (not kits), i'll save about 20-40 bucks now and will sell the 4GB CL7 kit for half its price then. I don't really need 8 GB now anyway

I was looking for a CL7 kit, even though the difference between CL9 or CL7 does not really matter. For my part, I'll wait for 8GB modules (not kits), i'll save about 20-40 bucks now and will sell the 4GB CL7 kit for half its price then. I don't really need 8 GB now anyway

but you do need 16GB in the future? Realise that ram prices are incredibly low allready. You can get 8GB for 70 euro's, that's absolutely crazy.

and in case you didn't realise, you need 2 dimms to run dualchannel, and you do want to do that.

Edited by Leon86

So has anyone tried out the new i7-2600k with A2, OA? I'm getting one next week, can't wait :P I'll OC the shit out of it! :D

You guys will be happy. I am done masterbateing over ordering my components. I want to thank some of the forum members for all the help on this post and PM's bangtail,leon86 and pufu. Some of the developers that help me thru PMs are DWARDEN,OHARA and SUMA. Even the CEO of bohemia MARUK PM back and gave me feedback on my quest for knowledge about hardware and making a good system to run arma2 well. The last person who I want to thank is the moderator out of control (which I gave him his name when he hated me lol) MR. WOLLe.

I Actually know a little something about hardware now after 3 weeks of trying to educate myself so I can make the right choice for my budget system. I started out with a budget of ~ $750 but that was for an AMD rig.

God knows I am going to need a lot of help putting this rig together but it will be fun. :eek:

Order Summary Qty Product Description Price from newegg.com

1 Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Item #: N82E16811129042

Limited Replacement Only Return Policy $69.95

$59.95 - 10.00 mail in 49.95

1 GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3P LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Item #: N82E16813128462

Standard Return Policy $159.99

1 XFX HD-587X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Item #: N82E16814150476

VGA Replacement Only Return Policy $299.99

$279.99 - 40.00 mail in 239.99

1 Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified ...

Item #: N82E16817371015

Standard Return Policy $99.99

$74.99

1 Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

Item #: N82E16819115072

CPU Replacement Only Return Policy $224.99

1 CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8

Item #: N82E16820233147

Memory Standard Return Policy $149.99

$139.99 cas 8, timing 8-8-8-24

1 Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Item #: N82E16822136319

Standard Return Policy $64.99

1 Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7260S-0B - OEM

Item #: N82E16827118039

Standard Return Policy $19.99

Subtotal $1,024.88

Tax $0.00

UPS 3 Days $15.21

Order Total $1,040.09

- 50.00 mail in Rebate

total of 990.09. Just 240.09 over the start point with intel CPU over AMD rig.

The only thing that I am still thinking about was going with a NVIDIA GPU over ATI like the 460,470 and maybe 480.

If anyone would like to give me feedback on some of the hardware that I got that would be great. Once again thanks to all for the help.:yay:

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

Hi Avibird1,

ramspeed 1333 vs 1600 makes no difference in game performance (roughly 1 percent between 1333 and 2133), so give the cheapest 1333 ram a chance like this one:

http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a563816.html

here in germany (and in other countries too) you can save money using the right price search engine. Look at this price for HD5870:

http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a576935.html

Hi Avibird1,

ramspeed 1333 vs 1600 makes no difference in game performance (roughly 1 percent between 1333 and 2133), so give the cheapest 1333 ram a chance like this one:

http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a563816.html

here in germany (and in other countries too) you can save money using the right price search engine. Look at this price for HD5870:

http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a576935.html

Thanks for the feedback and site links. But my masterbateing ordering is done! Newegg has the money lol. What is the diff between the Euro and the dollar. Is it still like 25-30% more. The cost looks ~ the same.

I may try to OC a little in the future so I went with a little faster ram speed but wanted a cas of 8 not 9.

Considering building my own PC looking for a mix of gaming and modeling/photo manipulation/texturing.

Looking for a workhorse basically.

But,Of course Arma 2 is at the top of my list and am looking for the best performance i can get.

At the minute this is my total build components i would be looking to purchase.

Any thoughts/improvements.

These components are maxed out at my spend limit of 1500 pounds.

• 1 x Coolermaster HAF X Gaming Tower Case
  • 1 x Asus Crosshair III Formula AMD 790FX (Socket AM3) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
  • 1 x AMD Phenom II X6 Six Core 1090T Black Edition 3.20GHz
  • 2 x GeIL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel RAM (total of 16GB)
  • 1 x ATI Radeon HD 6970 2048MB GFX Card
  • 1 x Asus Xonar D1 7.1 PCI Sound Card
  • 1 x OCZ Vertex 2E Bigfoot 120GB 3.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive
  • 2 x Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB SATA-II 64MB Cache - OEM (WD20EARS)
  • 1 x OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w Silent SLI Certified Modular Power Supply
  • 1 x Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 CPU Cooler
  • 1 x LG GH22NP20 22x DVD±RW IDE ReWriter (Black)
  • 3 x Akasa AK-184-L2B Amber Ultra Quiet 92mm Fan - 3 pin
  • 1 x Akasa AK-FC-03 Fan Controller Pro

Any thoughts or improvement would be appreciated.

Edited by XxEnigmAxX

Considering building my own PC looking for a mix of gaming and modeling/photo manipulation/texturing.

Looking for a workhorse basically.

But,Of course Arma 2 is at the top of my list and am looking for the best performance i can get.

At the minute this is my total build components i would be looking to purchase.

Any thoughts/improvements.

These components are maxed out at my spend limit of 1500 pounds.

• 1 x Coolermaster HAF X Gaming Tower Case
  • 1 x Asus Crosshair III Formula AMD 790FX (Socket AM3) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
  • 1 x AMD Phenom II X6 Six Core 1090T Black Edition 3.20GHz
  • 2 x GeIL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel RAM (total of 16GB)
  • 1 x ATI Radeon HD 6970 2048MB GFX Card
  • 1 x Asus Xonar D1 7.1 PCI Sound Card
  • 1 x OCZ Vertex 2E Bigfoot 120GB 3.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive
  • 2 x Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB SATA-II 64MB Cache - OEM (WD20EARS)
  • 1 x OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w Silent SLI Certified Modular Power Supply
  • 1 x Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 CPU Cooler
  • 1 x LG GH22NP20 22x DVD±RW IDE ReWriter (Black)
  • 3 x Akasa AK-184-L2B Amber Ultra Quiet 92mm Fan - 3 pin
  • 1 x Akasa AK-FC-03 Fan Controller Pro

Any thoughts or improvement would be appreciated.

hello, I been down that road lol. Question for you? Do you want the best perfromance hands down or the best bang for the buck. If money is not an issue with you then you need to go with the new intel i7 2600k or the now old i7 9XXX CPU's but why would you do that!

The 580 is a better GPC then the 6970. If you are not going to OC then you don't need a cooling system in the rig like that. Go look at some of the names in my post above these guys know a lot about hardware and what makes ARMA play well. Go PM them they will help.