Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

A friend of mine (with whom I have played ofp a lot of times lol) is also about to buy a new pc (unlike me, not a laptop but a pc) to run arma 2.

These are the specs:

Intel Processor Core i5-680, s1156 (dual core, 3,6 Ghz)

2TB hard disk drive

6GB DDR3 RAM

ATI 69(something? he didn't tell me exact..) 1GB graphics card

Now how do you all think Arma 2 will run on this pc?

A friend of mine (with whom I have played ofp a lot of times lol) is also about to buy a new pc (unlike me, not a laptop but a pc) to run arma 2.

These are the specs:

Intel Processor Core i5-680, s1156 (dual core, 3,6 Ghz)

2TB hard disk drive

6GB DDR3 RAM

ATI 69(something? he didn't tell me exact..) 1GB graphics card

Now how do you all think Arma 2 will run on this pc?

For that kind of money he'd be better off with a quadcore, like the i5 760, although I'd get the 2500K instead. Not sure what the 6GB ram is about either. 4 or 8 GB is the obvious choice for 1156 or 1155 systems. Also ati 69xx cards all have 2GB, 1GB versions are coming but arent out yet, so maybe it's a 68xx card? Anyway, if the gpu is indeed a 69xx or 68xx card arma should still run quite well, a quad would be better but a 3.6 intel dualcore is still pretty fast. Especially online where the ai (something easily passed to another core) is done by the server.

gang,

i just ordered my new machine and it will be here soon. id like to thank BangTail for the advise on holding out for sandy bridge. my fear was price but BangTail was right, the cost was not much more than the i7 i was planning on.

Here is my rig.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K 3.40 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)

HDD: 1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)

MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair)

MOTHERBOARD: * [CrossFireX] GigaByte GA-P67A-UD3 Intel P67 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ UEFI, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB 16X PCIe Video Card

anyone with a similar rig that can give me some feedback? should i expect decent/playable fps on highest settings?

I'm ordering a similar rig very soon... First I thought I'd also order i7-2600k and GTX 580 but then after some research I decided to stay with i5-2500k and GTX570. There is a big price difference here in my country.

And now with the spare 300$ I save I'll be able to buy OCZ 30GB Vertex Turbo Series for the OS, Heatsing for VGA and some more Fans to create a nice organized air flow in my case. :yay:

Hello fellow Arma Fanatics. I would like to ask for some help with my next purchase, which I've been doing alot lately:) I just picked up a new gaming case the Antec 902 which I really love, it dropped my overall case about

10-15C and looks really cool. Then just purchased (2) 580gtx's to run in SLI. So overall my system looks as follows:

-Antec 902 case

-Windows 7 64bit OS

-I7 920 0C to 3.8MHz

-Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 CPU cooler

-Asus Rampage II Gene Motherboard

-6GB of 1600 Corsair Dominator Ram running in Tripple Channel

-(2) 580GTX's in SLI

-300gb Velociraptor HardDrive

-80gb Intel X-25 SSD HardDrive (just for Arma)

-850watt Thermaltake Black Widow PSU

OK now I've listed my System and I was also looking at the new Sandybridge & in turn a new Motherboard also will be getting 6gb more of the Corsair Dominator Ram to go along with it. My ? is the Motherboard what do you prefer, I'm kinda partial to Asus but I'd like to know what you guys think. I would love to have enough room to SLI or Triple SLI and still have enough room to install my SoundCard which I do not have enough room at the moment with my Mini ATX Gene.

Hello fellow Arma Fanatics. I would like to ask for some help with my next purchase, which I've been doing alot lately:) I just picked up a new gaming case the Antec 902 which I really love, it dropped my overall case about

10-15C and looks really cool. Then just purchased (2) 580gtx's to run in SLI. So overall my system looks as follows:

-Antec 902 case

-Windows 7 64bit OS

-I7 920 0C to 3.8MHz

-Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 CPU cooler

-Asus Rampage II Gene Motherboard

-6GB of 1600 Corsair Dominator Ram running in Tripple Channel

-(2) 580GTX's in SLI

-300gb Velociraptor HardDrive

-80gb Intel X-25 SSD HardDrive (just for Arma)

-850watt Thermaltake Black Widow PSU

OK now I've listed my System and I was also looking at the new Sandybridge & in turn a new Motherboard also will be getting 6gb more of the Corsair Dominator Ram to go along with it. My ? is the Motherboard what do you prefer, I'm kinda partial to Asus but I'd like to know what you guys think. I would love to have enough room to SLI or Triple SLI and still have enough room to install my SoundCard which I do not have enough room at the moment with my Mini ATX Gene.

going from a i7 at 3.8 to a sandy bridge at 4.8?? will be an (incremental, probably below 30% fps gain) upgrade for arma, also realise you're losing pci-e bandwith as the pci-e on the socket 1155 chips goes from x16 to x8 when you install 2 gpu's. So arma performance will probably go up (slightly) while other games have (slightly) reduced performance.

If you have money to burn and really want to fit your soundcard, by all means get an i5-2500K. A decent overclocking board (Like an UD4) plus the cpu is about 360 euro's. Then you only have to decide if you want to run 4GB or get another 2 gb dimm you can use to have 8GB. 1155 boards only have 4 ram slots.

The most obvious thing to do is to wait for intel to bring out their new high-end socket boards and processors (current 1155 is the mainstream lineup, although performance is great). Then you can have the fastest cpu + x16 x16 pci-e, fit your soundcard and have triple sli capability.

What do you guys have to say about the 5870 vs 6870.

And alltogether would it be better to get a GTX570 or 580?

And lastly does anybody have any good advice as to what motherboard I should look at

for my upcomming i7 2600K Sandy Bridge rig?

Thx in advance, this thread is invaluble :D

What do you guys have to say about the 5870 vs 6870.

And alltogether would it be better to get a GTX570 or 580?

And lastly does anybody have any good advice as to what motherboard I should look at

for my upcomming i7 2600K Sandy Bridge rig?

Thx in advance, this thread is invaluble :D

If you're going to use this machine mainly for gaming the i5-2500K will be just as fast as the 2600K. The only reason the 2600K scores slightly better in games is the 100Mhz higher clockspeed.

Photoshop and cad-renders will benefit from the 2600K's hyperthreading, but if you only do that once in a while it's not worth it imo. The 2500K will still finish these tasks extremely quickly.

If you plan to do significant overclocking or want to use sli/crossfire you should look at 160eu-ish boards like the Gigabyte P67A-UD4. Otherwise you can stick with the slightly cheaper boards.

If you're getting a sli board the gtx570 will be the logical choice for a gpu, you can always add one for sli. crossfire is not recommended for arma 2. A gtx580 is of course faster, look at benchmarks to see how much.

Why is it that PVP in multiplayer has no AI at all but the framerate still sucks hard?

going from a i7 at 3.8 to a sandy bridge at 4.8?? will be an (incremental, probably below 30% fps gain) upgrade for arma, also realise you're losing pci-e bandwith as the pci-e on the socket 1155 chips goes from x16 to x8 when you install 2 gpu's. So arma performance will probably go up (slightly) while other games have (slightly) reduced performance.

If you have money to burn and really want to fit your soundcard, by all means get an i5-2500K. A decent overclocking board (Like an UD4) plus the cpu is about 360 euro's. Then you only have to decide if you want to run 4GB or get another 2 gb dimm you can use to have 8GB. 1155 boards only have 4 ram slots.

The most obvious thing to do is to wait for intel to bring out their new high-end socket boards and processors (current 1155 is the mainstream lineup, although performance is great). Then you can have the fastest cpu + x16 x16 pci-e, fit your soundcard and have triple sli capability.

Thanks Leon for your advice and knowledge. I know a little but clearly not as much as yourself and others. You said that going to the 1155 chips makes the second PCIx slot to a x8 in SLI. With my current setup the second PCIx slot is still a 16x in SLI correct? Thanks again for some info and knowledge and I do believe I'll wait for Intel to release their latest socket boards and processors.

Edited by MissionMaximus

How much will I gain in performance (FPS) if I upgrade my current computer to:

I5-2500 K 3.3GHZ Sand Bridge

ATI 5870

?

My current settings below

How much will I gain in performance (FPS) if I upgrade my current computer to:

I5-2500 K 3.3GHZ Sand Bridge

ATI 5870

?

My current settings below

Probably about 30% higher fps. If you overclock the difference will be greater as the phenom is clocked higher by default and reaches the limit (4Ghz mostly) more quickly. i5-2500K's reach 4.6 easily and most will do 5Ghz with a little determination, a good board and good cooling.

I'm thinking about getting a new monitor. What do you guys think, would it be a bad idea to go with a native resolution of 1600x900, for performance reasons in ArmA - better FPS - or should i definitely go with a native 1080p?

The 1600x900 (5ms) is available for 105 € only.. looks like a good deal....

rest of the specs:

intel 2500k

amd 6950

8GB 1333

P.S: I am not going to buy a BlueRay player anyway, i am pretty sure of that...

Edited by Flattermann

I'd just get a 23 or 24" on 1080p with such a highend machine. a 6950 will easily cope with 1080p.

thank you! :) Would it matter if it had d-sub only?

Edited by Flattermann

Since my thread got locked:

Going to be upgrading my PC soon. It struggles with ArmA 2 OA, and at the moment I only have enough for a CPU or video card upgrade, and maybe RAM.

I have the following specs:

GTX 260 Superclocked (not 216)

AMD 9950BE

4GB PC2 6400

Vista/Win7 64 bit

Earthwatts 500

Considering these specs, what should I upgrade first? CPU or video card? The CPU upgrade will be an AMD 955 most likely or another AM2+/3 socket CPU as I am not going to buy a new motherboard.

I noticed the game also occasionally needs a few seconds to load the textures, especially in urban areas. I am guessing 2GB more RAM can help here?

Going to be upgrading my PC soon. It struggles with ArmA 2 OA, and at the moment I only have enough for a CPU or video card upgrade, and maybe RAM.

AMD 9950BE

4GB PC2 6400

Vista/Win7 64 bit

Earthwatts 500

Considering these specs, what should I upgrade first? CPU or video card? The CPU upgrade will be an AMD 955 most likely or another AM2+/3 socket CPU as I am not going to buy a new motherboard.

I noticed the game also occasionally needs a few seconds to load the textures, especially in urban areas. I am guessing 2GB more RAM can help here?

2GB of extra ram isn't going to help much unless you run lots of stuff in the background. What cpu's are supported by your motherboard? You can look it up on the manufacturers site.

I'm hoping to get this soon, could you tell me how well it would run it?

Intel Core i5 2400 Processor 8mb cache @3.1Ghz

4GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory

1TB 3.5" 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive

22x DVD Writer

GeForce GTX 460 1024MB Graphics Card

Novatech PowerStation Gaming 500W Silent Modular PSU

Intel H67 Chipset Motherboard

AMD 9950BE

4GB PC2 6400

Vista/Win7 64 bit

Earthwatts 500

As already said, more than one 4 GB won't help with Arma 2. (Unless you wanted to load the whole game in a ramdrive, in which case you'd need a lot more.)

Actually your system isn't bad at all, assuming you've got your 9950 black edition overclocked to around 3 ghz, which would be almost as good as a stock 955. The things a faster cpu helps with are: view distance, managing lots of AI units, complex mission scripts, and of course if you're hosting (or a set up as a dedicated server) an online mission. It won't really help with texture loading.

And the GTX 260 isn't a bad card at all. The texture loading or texture popping issues seem to affect just about everybody--if you're experiencing it with your present card you might be disappointed to find it still there even with an upgrade.

Some people say that a good SSD can improve performance more than anything else in an already decent system. If I had money for an upgrade that's what I would get.

Hi to all,

I'm new to the forum and to ArmA world as well.

In a couple of day I will order the PC which I'm going to buy brand new only to be able to run Arma2 and OA with good results.

These will be the specs:

Intel I7 2600 8MB 3.4 Ghz

Ati HD6970 2GB GDDR5

HD 1T 64MB SATA 3

RAM DDR3 8GB 1333MHz

WINDOWS7 HOME

Do you think guys I can go forward with the order?

Any comment/help will be appreciated

Charlie

Hi to all,

I'm new to the forum and to ArmA world as well.

In a couple of day I will order the PC which I'm going to buy brand new only to be able to run Arma2 and OA with good results.

These will be the specs:

Intel I7 2600 8MB 3.4 Ghz

Ati HD6970 2GB GDDR5

HD 1T 64MB SATA 3

RAM DDR3 8GB 1333MHz

WINDOWS7 HOME

Do you think guys I can go forward with the order?

Any comment/help will be appreciated

Charlie

An i5 2500(K) will give you exactly the same results and should be 100eu cheaper. K versions are only 10 euro's more expensive and enable overclocking on p67 motherboards, on H67 they'll give greater igp performance but you'll be using the 6970 for that.

Also make sure it's windows7 x64 and at least Home Premium (it probably is, but home basic has a low ram limit).

If you really dont ever want to try overclocking the pc should be great, a very fast machine, if you want to save some get the same setup only with the i5 2500 as cpu.

Hi Arma 2 community,

I've been a lurker for awhile and decided to join the forums because some of you may have insight/advice on my situation. I've enjoyed reading some of your discussions. :)

Let me disclaim first of all: I already know that (for the money) a desktop purchase would be the way to go. However, I am currently considering purchasing the new Alienware M17x R3 laptop for other reasons besides Arma 2/OA and I am curious as to whether any of the hardware configurations Dell currently offers for this machine would be able to play Arma 2/OA decently. I know that this PC is a new product and only within the next 2 weeks or so will anyone have received the machine from Dell, so benchmarks aren't out yet... and I know you can only offer limited advice. I'm not as "in-the-know" on a lot of technology as others, but I think one could make a good estimate as to whether this machine could run Arma 2 decently at this point. The new Sandy Bridge processors "seem" to be a big help as far as laptop gaming.

Now, when I say "run Arma 2 decently", that could mean almost-high settings, normal settings, or basically whatever would be sufficient for a fun multiplayer gaming experience. I'm not that picky and I don't intend to go on an "overclocking rage". My purposes regarding Arma 2/OA are to connect this machine via LAN to my desktop for in-home cooperative multiplayer gaming. I intend to use a laptop cooler (specifically notepal U3) to keep it running cool as I know Arma 2 will push its limits and I want to help extend the life of my investment. I want graphics to look fairly nice and play well, but having high FPS isn't my priority. Just something tolerable...maybe 40-50 FPS range if possible? I don't care for post-processing effects. My desktop configuration runs Arma 2/OA on a mix of normal/high settings at around 30 FPS which so far seems to be tolerable for me.

With all of that said, the laptop configuration I think I am most likely to purchase involves the following:

Alienware M17x R3 Laptop

Intel Core i7 (Sandy Bridge) 2720QM 2.2GHz (3.3GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)

Windows 7 Home 64bit OS

4 GB RAM dual channel DDR3 1333MHz

1.5GB GDDR5 Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M video card

320GB 7200RPM HDD

17.3" 1920x1080 60Hz WLED LCD panel

Other options for this machine include the i7 2820QM 2.3GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Mode, 8MB Cache) processor, more RAM, 1GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6870M video card, and changing the LCD panel to either a 1600x900 60Hz WLED or the 1920x1080 120Hz WLED.

What do you think? Would my configuration work in my situation? Perhaps a slight change would be best? I know in the case of Arma 2 that the more power you have, the better off you are...but...here I am. Budget isn't an issue, but if I can get by with less then by all means I'll spend less.

Thanks for any advice!

Hey peeps, currently running ;

Intel 9450@3.0gz OC,d.

4 Gigs of DDr3 1600

Gainward Nvidia GTX 470

Corsair force 120 SSD.

I see a lot of discussions about the performance in AH, and it seems like whatever computer you get, you wont be able to top 50fps.

However i think getting an i7 must the only logical upgrade for me, I,d love to push some extra fps into the game, and I dont think buying another GTX 470 would make any difference.. but maybe a RAM upgrade would?

Currently got about 30fps @1900x1200 (the rest is default)

Thoughts?

Cheers!

Edited by dutten

How good do the newer versions of A2 / scale with multiple cores?

I know the first release did not profit too much from multiple cores, but maybe this has been enhanced in the meantime?

Is there a gain to expected going from 2 to 4 or 6 cores?

Is it preferable to have 2 cores with a higher speed against 4 with lower?

Should hyper threading be enabled or not?

I am planning to upgrade from:

Core2Duo E 6600 @ 3,0 GHz

2GB Ram

Nvidia 285 GTX

And, as for most people here, the question is what to get?

Thanks a lot for your assistance!

A.

How good do the newer versions of A2 / scale with multiple cores?

I know the first release did not profit too much from multiple cores, but maybe this has been enhanced in the meantime?

Is there a gain to expected going from 2 to 4 or 6 cores?

Is it preferable to have 2 cores with a higher speed against 4 with lower?

Should hyper threading be enabled or not?

I am planning to upgrade from:

Core2Duo E 6600 @ 3,0 GHz

2GB Ram

Nvidia 285 GTX

And, as for most people here, the question is what to get?

Thanks a lot for your assistance!

A.

What people get all depends on how much money they have to spend, Most people from this community who buy a new pc will buy components rather than a full pc, as they can build a better one for the price.

And its not that difficult considering at bare minimum theres only about 7 components to throw in, and wire it up.

If you're after ideas about what you can get, You should give people your budget. and include more of your current rigs spec as thats key to saving you money