Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

I hadn't planned on going RAID but that's just because I havn't really looked into setting it up and the advantages of doing so. I was just turned on by the idea of having a separate drive for the OS and one for Arma. Plus I thought it'd maybe give a small nudge in performance, and ease of formatting the OS drive if need be.

If you're not planning on going RAID then why not create 2 partitions on a single 120 SSD.

If you're not planning on going RAID then why not create 2 partitions on a single 120 SSD.

Uhmm, not good reason actually :)

I'm just a bit averted to partitions, I kinda got the impression that partitions slowed the HD down, but all my experiences with it, is like 10 years old, and prolly not relevant at all when it comes to SSD.

So that might be a good way to go.

Ah i see :) Actually, perhaps it's not even that necessary. Windows 7 allows you to backup the whole system, so you wouldn't need to go through all the installers anyway. I've never tried it out though

You guys will be happy. I am done masterbateing over ordering my components. I want to thank some of the forum members for all the help on this post and PM's bangtail,leon86 and pufu. Some of the developers that help me thru PMs are DWARDEN,OHARA and SUMA. Even the CEO of bohemia MARUK PM back and gave me feedback on my quest for knowledge about hardware and making a good system to run arma2 well. The last person who I want to thank is the moderator out of control (which I gave him his name when he hated me lol) MR. WOLLe.

I Actually know a little something about hardware now after 3 weeks of trying to educate myself so I can make the right choice for my budget system. I started out with a budget of ~ $750 but that was for an AMD rig.

God knows I am going to need a lot of help putting this rig together but it will be fun. :eek:

Order Summary Qty Product Description Price from newegg.com

1 Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Item #: N82E16811129042

Limited Replacement Only Return Policy $69.95

$59.95 - 10.00 mail in 49.95

1 GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD3P LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Item #: N82E16813128462

Standard Return Policy $159.99

1 XFX HD-587X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Item #: N82E16814150476

VGA Replacement Only Return Policy $299.99

$279.99 - 40.00 mail in 239.99

1 Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified ...

Item #: N82E16817371015

Standard Return Policy $99.99

$74.99

1 Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

Item #: N82E16819115072

CPU Replacement Only Return Policy $224.99

1 CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8

Item #: N82E16820233147

Memory Standard Return Policy $149.99

$139.99 cas 8, timing 8-8-8-24

1 Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Item #: N82E16822136319

Standard Return Policy $64.99

1 Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7260S-0B - OEM

Item #: N82E16827118039

Standard Return Policy $19.99

Subtotal $1,024.88

Tax $0.00

UPS 3 Days $15.21

Order Total $1,040.09

- 50.00 mail in Rebate

total of 990.09. Just 240.09 over the start point with intel CPU over AMD rig.

The only thing that I am still thinking about was going with a NVIDIA GPU over ATI like the 460,470 and maybe 480.

If anyone would like to give me feedback on some of the hardware that I got that would be great. Once again thanks to all for the help.:yay:

Hello just wanted to get back to some of you here and let you know how things worked out.

The system WORKS well for the money.

Benchmark 01- 49 FPS

Benchmark 02- 20 FPS

Benchmark E08- 54 FPS

Visibilty 4000

Quality preference very high

interface resolution 1152 x 648 x 32

3D reolution 1728x972 (150%)

texture very high

video very high

anisotropic very high

antialiasing high

terrain very high

objects very high

shadow high

HDR normal

The game runs very well and I have not F around with the GPU OR CPU (right out of the box) yet and I don't think i will need to.

[/color]

620W is a lot but actually you should only look at how much Ampere's can be delivered on the 12V line as cpu's and gpu's almost exclusively use 12V. My psu (Corsair AX 750) can deliver 62A*12V=744W on 12V. But older psu's often have about 70% of power on 12V.

I,ve got the same PSU as you got there, only its 620. Still gets great reviews.

My experience with PSU has always been go for the expensive ones and not the most "powerful" ones.

@Avibird Congratulations! I hope I'll get the delivery for the last missing parts by Friday so I could post a happy banana too

Hello just wanted to get back to some of you here and let you know how things worked out.

The system WORKS well for the money.

Benchmark 01- 49 FPS

Benchmark 02- 20 FPS

Benchmark E08- 54 FPS

Visibilty 4000

Quality preference very high

interface resolution 1152 x 648 x 32

3D reolution 1728x972 (150%)

texture very high

video very high

anisotropic very high

antialiasing high

terrain very high

objects very high

shadow high

HDR normal

The game runs very well and I have not F around with the GPU OR CPU (right out of the box) yet and I don't think i will need to.

those are nice scores. glad to hear it's running well.

@Avibird Congratulations! I hope I'll get the delivery for the last missing parts by Friday so I could post a happy banana too
those are nice scores. glad to hear it's running well.

Flattermann, You can give me my happy banana I don't have any missing parts! Newegg was great with the delivery. Don't know what you are saying.

Leon86 thanks again for the feedback. Putting the system together was not that hard. Ok I had a little help from a friend:rolleyes: but I think I can do it know for myself:yay:

Flattermann, You can give me my happy banana I don't have any missing parts! Newegg was great with the delivery. Don't know what you are saying.

:confused: Didn't say a word about newegg, i'm waiting for my parts

:confused: Didn't say a word about newegg, i'm waiting for my parts

My bad your delivery not mine lol. I HOPE you get it soon! What parts ( hardware) did you get.

OA 08E: Benchmark

Quality Preference: High (AA/PostFX > Disabled & Video Memory > Very High) + 1920x1080 (100%) gives me 78fps with AMD 4-Core, DDR2 and single GTX460, i think that's Ok?

My settings

Some Benchmark pics:

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/662/74894185.jpg

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/7228/69845679.jpg

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/1423/91637353.jpg

Results

2500k, Asus P8H67 (not going to overclock anyway), 8GB 1333 CL9, Sapphire HD6950, 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD and a Sharkoon 500W PSU. Been playing OFP recently, i was surprised that there are still quite a number of servers online..

A few pages back I had posted some info and benchmarks using GTX570s in SLI with some comparisons to my former setup with a pair of GTX260s.

That info is likely to be erroneous and I will repost new results in a few days.

It turns out one of the two GTX570s was faulty - I've sent it back to newegg as an RMA to be replaced with a new card.

I had tested extensively with first one and then the other card installed and on the one "bad" card I was routinely starting to get BSODs and artifcats and anomalies and it was failing the evga OC scanner program stress tests. The other "good" card has performed flawlessly.

So hopefully when the replacement arrives I will retest and post more benchmarks with a properly working GTX570 SLI setup.

Flattermann: why did you bought 2500k when you are not going to overclock? I am just curious.....:)

hey all, does anyone play arma2 using a nvidia gtx850 1.5g single card? ill have one in my new rig and im wondering how this card will perform. ill have the 2600k and 8 gigs of ram. let me know what i should expect, im anxious. thanks

GTX 850 or GTX 580?

I dont think there is such card as 850.

GTX 580 will certainly rock your game. Im about to buy GTX570 and accordling to some people who know it would give a tremendous boost :)

Hi all

I'm trying to determine witch graphics card to buy. I have now read literally hundreds of pages on this forum and all the benchmarks I could find. But based on all the posts I have read I haven't been able to come to a conclusion about what kind of graphics power arma II & OA needs. It seems that people are running it on everything from old hardware to the newest and post powerful computers, with varying success.

I have a core-i5 2000K@4400 ghz

4 Gb ram

320 Gb HD 7200rpm

My current graphics card is a 8800 gts 512mb and it doesn't cut it. I'm playing with a resolution of 1920x1200.

My budget allows for something between a gtx 460 and up to gtx 570 or the the equivalent amd if you recommend that. I don't know if I should consider either SLI or crossfire since people seem to varying degrees of success with that.

Thx in advance

Edited by Grubert

Flattermann: why did you bought 2500k when you are not going to overclock? I am just curious.....:)

i know that the k version has the unlocked mutliplicator. but it's cheaper to change the board later on than the cpu. and the 2500 no k was not available the time i ordered anyway.

Yeah, but it's even cheaper to not change the board at all. The K version also has a more powerfull igp so when your gpu dies you can still play starcraft 2 :)

Hi all

I'm trying to determine witch graphics card to buy. I have now read literally hundreds of pages on this forum and all the benchmarks I could find. But based on all the posts I have read I haven't been able to come to a conclusion about what kind of graphics power arma II & OA needs. It seems that people are running it on everything from old hardware to the newest and post powerful computers, with varying success.

4 Gb ram

320 Gb HD 7200rpm

My current graphics card is a 8800 gts 512mb and it doesn't cut it. I'm playing with a resolution of 1920x1200.

My budget allows for something between a gtx 460 and up to gtx 570 or the the equivalent amd if you recommend that. I don't know if I should consider either SLI or crossfire since people seem to varying degrees of success with that.

Thx in advance

Nvidia 560Ti

Hi all

4 Gb ram

320 Gb HD 7200rpm

Thx in advance

It'll run fine with the 460 with appropriate settings, with the 570 you'll be able to have more eyecandy.

Hi guys,

I would need some piece of advice, I plan on getting a new GPU (AFAIK mine sucks).

I did my homework and found this really usefull comparative :

http://www.pcworld.fr/article/comparatif-cartes-graphiques/1920x1200-arma-ii/498001/

It's in french but you don't need to know a single word to understand it :)

The Radeon HD5870 seems a good choice, quite impressive performance compared to more expensive GPUs (HD5970 and GTX480, almost twice the price of the 5870)

So I've found an ASUS EAH5870 for €269. From want I've read Asus did a good job, the EAH5870 would be quiter and "colder" than the original.

Do you think it's a good choice ?

Someone can confirm this comparative ?

Thanks for the help

Edited by Macadam Cow

For my birthday, which is rapidly approaching, I plan on getting the HP Pavilion dv6-3143us. I was wondering if you guys would take a look at it and tell me if its able to play ARMA2 low-mid graphics settings. I don't care about graphics, but rather gameplay. Would this laptop be able to play it without lagging / without problems? System specs are :

-4GB DDR3

-500GB HDD

-i3 Processer, 2.40 GHz

-ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 + Intel HD

-1024MB DDR3 with up to 2714MB total graphics memory (I believe this is the VRAM?)

Basically, I know what everything is except for the last bullet. I thinks its my total VRAM, but I'm not completely sure. I compared this to the recommended system specs on Steam and I think that it will be able to run fairly well, but I just wanted to check with the people that would really know better than I. I'm fairly excited about this because ARMA2 looks like an amazing game, and I've always wanted it, but due to my Desktop limitations it simply wasn't an option. Will I be able to run it? Much appreciated, guys. Sorry if I posted in the wrong section, as I'm new to the forums.

The CPU and GPU are weak, 1024MB Ram is really not enough. Shouldn't be less than 2 Gig.

with up to 2714MB total graphics memory

That is only pretty nice marketing!

I don't see problems or lagging but i guess you only get playable fps with low settings.

---------- Post added at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 AM ----------

Hi guys,

I would need some piece of advice, I plan on getting a new GPU (AFAIK mine sucks).

I did my homework and found this really usefull comparative :

http://www.pcworld.fr/article/comparatif-cartes-graphiques/1920x1200-arma-ii/498001/

It's in french but you don't need to know a single word to understand it :)

The Radeon HD5870 seems a good choice, quite impressive performance compared to more expensive GPUs (HD5970 and GTX480, almost twice the price of the 5870)

So I've found an ASUS EAH5870 for €269. From want I've read Asus did a good job, the EAH5870 would be quiter and "colder" than the original.

Do you think it's a good choice ?

Someone can confirm this comparative ?

Thanks for the help

The 5870 is a good card, but last generation. This benchmark lacks all the new cards. Better get a 6870 or 6970 now.

The 5870 is a good card, but last generation. This benchmark lacks all the new cards. Better get a 6870 or 6970 now.

Thanks for the tip :)

Found a Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 for €200 :confused:

How come a new generation card is cheaper than an old one ?

I was also wondering if I should go with AMD or another manufacturer (Asus, Sapphire,...) ?

I guess there's a reason why AMD ones are cheaper

Edited by Macadam Cow

Thanks for the tip :)

Found a Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 for €200 :confused:

How come a new generation card is cheaper than an old one ?

Because 6870 is not faster than 5870. But 6970, which is the new generation replacement for 5870. ;)